hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4

    Madam escapes jail sentence

    The judge saves a Kirkcaldy 'Madam' from going to jail with this somewhat odd statement ....
    "You are however a first offender and I also have to consider the often expressed directions that judges are given that all steps should be taken to avoid the imprisonment of women if it's not absolutely necessary to do so."

    Now there's a one-liner to throw into the 'sex equality' mix.


    https://stv.tv/news/east-central/142...lectronic-tag/


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    3,291
    I seen the other day that a guy was sentenced to about 3 or so months in jail for collecting a runners dropped identifier number at the London Marathon about a mile from the end and finishing the race. Was done for some kind of Fraud I believe.

    When you compare that to cases like this and the student who avoided jail after stabbing her boyfriend it really does highlight the huge inequality in the justice system for men and women. Never seems to be highlighted much by media or politicians though.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I seen the other day that a guy was sentenced to about 3 or so months in jail for collecting a runners dropped identifier number at the London Marathon about a mile from the end and finishing the race. Was done for some kind of Fraud I believe.

    When you compare that to cases like this and the student who avoided jail after stabbing her boyfriend it really does highlight the huge inequality in the justice system for men and women. Never seems to be highlighted much by media or politicians though.
    That story was ridiculous! He was homeless and was taking in the race in envy of those able to participate, found a number and completed the race and dedicated it to all homeless people to help them believe that good things can happen.

    There was a social media campaign to "name and shame" him too (they maybe didn't know the full story).

    It's funny how a little decision can completely alter what happens. Someone must have decided to go down the route of making it a negative story. On another day this gets highlighted as one of the things people take for granted that many others can't afford to do and he gets a crowdfunding entry into next year's London marathon.
    Mon the Hibs.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,045
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The judge saves a Kirkcaldy 'Madam' from going to jail with this somewhat odd statement ....
    "You are however a first offender and I also have to consider the often expressed directions that judges are given that all steps should be taken to avoid the imprisonment of women if it's not absolutely necessary to do so."

    Now there's a one-liner to throw into the 'sex equality' mix.


    https://stv.tv/news/east-central/142...lectronic-tag/
    Ridiculous. A pimp would quite rightly get hammered for that.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,705
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ridiculous. A pimp would quite rightly get hammered for that.
    Like this woman?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-23313518

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Wondering if its because theres only one womens prison in Scotland (I think?)

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like this woman?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-23313518

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    My problem is with the fact that the judge said they were directed to try and not send women to prison. That means it's coming from above. What other "directions" are judges given. I was of the understanding they used their wisdom and experience to make decisions. What if the same "directors" are telling the judges not to send MP's to prison, or any other selected group for that matter.
    Here we go again with the old Law/Ass quote.
    Not only is it an ass, it appears to be wide open to corruption and injustice.
    Old Bailey's blindfold is see-through apparently.
    Last edited by snooky; 28-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,705
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My problem is with the fact that the judge said they were directed to try and not send women to prison. That means it's coming from above. What other "directions" are judges given. I was of the understanding they used their wisdom and experience to make decisions. What if the same "directors" are telling the judges not to send MP's to prison, or any other selected group for that matter.
    Here we go again withe old Law/Ass quote.
    Not only is it an ass, it appears to be wide open to corruption and injustice.
    Yeah, I get that.

    I'm not wanting to hijack the thread. I was highlighting the inconsistencies in the 2 cases. ...And replying to the suggestion that a male would get a stiffer sentence.



    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I get that.

    I'm not wanting to hijack the thread. I was highlighting the inconsistencies in the 2 cases. ...And replying to the suggestion that a male would get a stiffer sentence.
    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Sorry, CWG. I wasn't directing my comments at you. I was only clarifying my concern re. the discriminatory directives being given to judges, i.e. it wasn' t really the gender issue in this case.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,705
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, CWG. I wasn't directing my comments at you. I was only clarifying my concern re. the discriminatory directives being given to judges, i.e. it wasn' t really the gender issue in this case.
    Scool.

    Others picked up on the gender issue, which I did as well....Which wasn't your point



    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  12. #11
    In these days of gender fluidity - presumably one could be reassigned between arrest and trial?

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,705
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In these days of gender fluidity - presumably one could be reassigned between arrest and trial?
    Interesting legal advice there, JMS

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,916
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My problem is with the fact that the judge said they were directed to try and not send women to prison. That means it's coming from above. What other "directions" are judges given. I was of the understanding they used their wisdom and experience to make decisions. What if the same "directors" are telling the judges not to send MP's to prison, or any other selected group for that matter.
    Here we go again with the old Law/Ass quote.
    Not only is it an ass, it appears to be wide open to corruption and injustice.
    Old Bailey's blindfold is see-through apparently.
    There are sentencing guidelines which is what the judge will presumably have been referring to.

    In addition there is a stack of evidence which shows that prison really doesn't work for women (it's questionable whether it works for anyone but that's another story) or wider society. However that evidence and sentencing policy isn't really directed at white collar female criminals which this one sounds like.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are sentencing guidelines which is what the judge will presumably have been referring to.

    In addition there is a stack of evidence which shows that prison really doesn't work for women (it's questionable whether it works for anyone but that's another story) or wider society. However that evidence and sentencing policy isn't really directed at white collar female criminals which this one sounds like.
    Moral of the story .....
    If you're planning to nick a telly, send the misses to do it.

  16. #15
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That story was ridiculous! He was homeless and was taking in the race in envy of those able to participate, found a number and completed the race and dedicated it to all homeless people to help them believe that good things can happen.

    There was a social media campaign to "name and shame" him too (they maybe didn't know the full story).

    It's funny how a little decision can completely alter what happens. Someone must have decided to go down the route of making it a negative story. On another day this gets highlighted as one of the things people take for granted that many others can't afford to do and he gets a crowdfunding entry into next year's London marathon.
    These events are for the middle classes only. Standards must be maintained.

  17. #16
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Moral of the story .....
    If you're planning to nick a telly, send the misses to do it.
    Was always the trick with rioting back in the day. They pushed women to the front as if they were arrested the sentence would be more lenient. There’s gallantry for you!

  18. #17
    Re the marathon story it's probably worth remembering the guy was also convicted of 3 counts of theft, including being in possession of someone elses ID documents, along with the fraud charge. Some may be willing to believe his story that he was 'collecting' things to hand into lost property. I'm ever so slightly sceptical.

    Reading his story he seems to have had a tough time of it over the last year so I have sympathy for him and I question whether a custodial sentence was the best option for him. The sugary, romaticised narrative that an anti hero stood up for the little guy by running a few K seems like nonsense to me though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was always the trick with rioting back in the day. They pushed women to the front as if they were arrested the sentence would be more lenient. There’s gallantry for you!
    Or playing them at their own game?
    It's the terrorist/freedom-fighter conundrum again.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,045
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like this woman?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-23313518

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I’m not saying there would be no examples of women getting punished for it. But there’ll certainly be no examples of a guy getting away with it because of orders from above “not to send males to prison”. As someone said earlier in the thread, where does the don’t punish such and such a category of person thing stop? That kind of thing totally casts doubt over our judicial system being fair.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    9,521
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The judge saves a Kirkcaldy 'Madam' from going to jail with this somewhat odd statement ....
    "You are however a first offender and I also have to consider the often expressed directions that judges are given that all steps should be taken to avoid the imprisonment of women if it's not absolutely necessary to do so."

    Now there's a one-liner to throw into the 'sex equality' mix.


    https://stv.tv/news/east-central/142...lectronic-tag/
    The judge is probably a regular
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not saying there would be no examples of women getting punished for it. But there’ll certainly be no examples of a guy getting away with it because of orders from above “not to send males to prison”. As someone said earlier in the thread, where does the don’t punish such and such a category of person thing stop? That kind of thing totally casts doubt over our judicial system being fair.
    I’m not sure that’s true. All in all, prison is a last resort sentence in ALL cases. There are many other sentences that do not involve prison but too many people see avoiding prison as “getting away with it”. For the most part, once you’ve been to prison you’re on a slippery slope. If you can be suitably punished without that, it’s generally better all round.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved