hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33
  1. #1
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,786

    Edinburgh Curios

    This is the grave in Dean Cemetery of the bloke from the front of the Camp Coffee bottle, Sir Hector MacDonald - the Fighting Mac



  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    The inauspicious memorial to Dougal Haston in Currie:



    Haston grew up climbing on the railway embankments along the Water of Leith and went on to become one of the world's foremost alpinists, putting up new routes on the Eigerwand (the direct route during which his partner died) and Annapurna in the Himalaya. Along with Doug Scott, he was one of the first Britons to summit Everest. When not climbing he was a hard drinking party animal. World famous among climbers but hardly known in Scotland. He was killed by an avalanche while skiing in Switzerland in 1977.

    https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...dougal-haston/
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 22-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.

  4. #3
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The inauspicious memorial to Dougal Haston in Currie:



    Haston grew up climbing on the railway embankments along the Water of Leith and went on to become one of the world's foremost alpinists, putting up new routes on the Eigerwand (the direct route during which his partner died) and Annapurna in the Himalaya. Along with Doug Scott, he was one of the first Britons to summit Everest. When not climbing he was a hard drinking party animal. World famous among climbers but hardly known in Scotland. He was killed by an avalanche while skiing in Switzerland in 1977.

    https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...dougal-haston/
    Where is that? I think there’s a memorial on a bridge on the Water of Leith where he used to climb.

    Went to my school (before I was there)

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where is that? I think there’s a memorial on a bridge on the Water of Leith where he used to climb.

    Went to my school (before I was there)
    Outside the post office at the top of Ricci Mains Rd. I went to Currie as well.

  6. #5
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Outside the post office at the top of Ricci Mains Rd. I went to Currie as well.
    Yup. I see the Riccie Arms in the background now I’ve got it on a bigger screen!!
    Last edited by Colr; 23-06-2018 at 03:28 AM.

  7. #6
    The Buckstane and the Caiystane are probably not very well known.

    https://www.britishlistedbuildings.c...rmilehead-ward

    http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/731/buck_stane.html


    https://www.visitscotland.com/info/s...-stane-p246991
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 23-06-2018 at 01:04 AM.

  8. #7
    The Covenanters Memorial is another that folk will pass without noticing.

    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1407468

    And not too far up the hill there are the Dreghorn Trenches.

    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2016/09/dreghorn-trenches/
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 23-06-2018 at 12:59 AM.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,718
    The statue of Alan Breck and David Balfour in Corstorphine Road.

    https://canmore.org.uk/site/302985/e...-david-balfour

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    These are pretty rare too, can't post a picture so here's the link to the Hanging Stanes on Braids Rd, hard to spot them too unless you really go looking for them. While I'm at it, does anyone know about the little Western style shops tucked away at the back of the Merlin pub in Morningside? They really should do more with this, sorry no photos or links.

    http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_STREET...ing_stanes.htm

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    The Wells O' Weary (as in the song) were once at the south side of Arthur Seat.
    Likewise, the Innocent Railway.
    (Does anyone have any more info on these?)

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Wells O' Weary (as in the song) were once at the south side of Arthur Seat.
    Likewise, the Innocent Railway.
    (Does anyone have any more info on these?)
    The cycle path from Duddingston (just after the railway bridge) through the park to the Pollock Halls follows the route of the Innocent Railway. It was the link between the “Sub” and St Leonard’s goods station.

    Hope this is of some interest and help.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,464
    Seen a monument up the top end of craigentinny - probably not classed as craigie actually - beside the bowling club. Anyone any idea what that is about?

  14. #13
    The Miller Mausoleum in Craigentinny is an unusual sight wedged in between a row of bungalows.

    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...tomb-1-4277295

  15. #14
    johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    The Hanging Stanes in Braid Road, walked past them for years without knowing their significance. Scene of the last public execution for highway robbery in Edinburgh in 1815.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Wells O' Weary (as in the song) were once at the south side of Arthur Seat.
    Likewise, the Innocent Railway.
    (Does anyone have any more info on these?)
    http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_a_o/0_...s_o_wearie.htm

    I remember walking through the tunnel with an older boy telling us stories of ghosts and murderers that lurked in there.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cycle path from Duddingston (just after the railway bridge) through the park to the Pollock Halls follows the route of the Innocent Railway. It was the link between the “Sub” and St Leonard’s goods station.

    Hope this is of some interest and help.
    The railway was also a major artery for the use of transporting coal & beer from the once seven breweries in Craigmillar, I cycle that way regularly & its good to see there are still remnants remaining on that route of Edinburghs industrial past.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz23jc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are pretty rare too, can't post a picture so here's the link to the Hanging Stanes on Braids Rd, hard to spot them too unless you really go looking for them. While I'm at it, does anyone know about the little Western style shops tucked away at the back of the Merlin pub in Morningside? They really should do more with this, sorry no photos or links.

    http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_STREET...ing_stanes.htm
    Used to be a furniture store but now falling into disrepair. As you say, it would be something that would benefit from a bit of an upgrade and turned into more of a tourist-type attraction:

    http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/20...h-morningside/

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the grave in Dean Cemetery of the bloke from the front of the Camp Coffee bottle, Sir Hector MacDonald - the Fighting Mac

    You'll also find the final resting place of Willie McCartney in the Dean Cemetery. He was the manager who built the foundations of the Hibs team which would go on to dominate Scottish post-war football but died weeks before they won their first title in 1948. There's a plaque on the wall commemorating him not far from the gate where you access the cemetery from the modern art gallery.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My Bit
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,051
    The Bore Stone on Morningside road. It is on the wall of the old Morningside Parish Church round from Newbattle Terrace

    The inscription reads...'In which the Royal Standard was last pitched for the muster of the Scottish army on the Borough Muir before the Battle of Flodden,1513'

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Used to be a furniture store but now falling into disrepair. As you say, it would be something that would benefit from a bit of an upgrade and turned into more of a tourist-type attraction:

    http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/20...h-morningside/
    That's the one! Still looks great and just perfect for a great idea to invigorate it....!

  22. #21
    Coaching Staff Tomsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington 125
    Posts
    5,742
    Here's a question.

    Where can you find Glasgow's coat of arms in Edinburgh?

    Here's the answer.


    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/534281

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a question.

    Where can you find Glasgow's coat of arms in Edinburgh?

    Here's the answer.


    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/534281
    On the subject of canals, and just outside Edinburgh (Hermiston), John Scott Russell discovered a unique wave during 1834, later to become known as a Soliton wave.
    A fairly major discovery in the field of mathematics/physics and yet relatively unknown. I think there's a plaque commemorating the discovery on one of the bridges out that way.

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the subject of canals, and just outside Edinburgh (Hermiston), John Scott Russell discovered a unique wave during 1834, later to become known as a Soliton wave.
    A fairly major discovery in the field of mathematics/physics and yet relatively unknown. I think there's a plaque commemorating the discovery on one of the bridges out that way.
    There is indeed a plaque or at least quite a bit of info on it, including the exact location, was out there walking on Sunday.

  25. #24
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nearby
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a question.

    Where can you find Glasgow's coat of arms in Edinburgh?

    Here's the answer.


    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/534281
    In the Grassmarket at the west bow end there is a stone wall plaqueon the wall that says Let Glasgow Flourish.

  26. #25
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nearby
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cycle path from Duddingston (just after the railway bridge) through the park to the Pollock Halls follows the route of the Innocent Railway. It was the link between the “Sub” and St Leonard’s goods station.

    Hope this is of some interest and help.
    I had never heard of the innocent railway tunnel so I went with my wife for a walk yesterday to see it. Ended up walking for miles but well worth a visit.

  27. #26
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,946
    This one is a cracker: http://web.uvic.ca/~rutherfo/a_smith.html

    The final resting place of Adam Smith, author of 'The Wealth of Nations' and probably one of the most influential economic thinkers. Tucked away in Canongate Churchyard in a relatively un-fancy grave. Discovered it by accident one day during a lunchtime walk.

    It's almost literally a stone's throw from the Scottish Parliament which makes for a nice historical coincidence.

  28. #27
    Think this has been mentioned on another thread but possible a few out walking in the Hermitage this weekend who my otherwise have walked past it. The rock is at the Liberton end.

    see photo

    Louis Agassiz, 1807-1873 in 1840, with William Buckland, one of the leading geologists of the 19th century, Agassiz visited Scotland to look for evidence of glaciation, which they found in many locations. One such location is just over the golf course to the south of the King's Buildings Science Campus. Known as Agassiz Rock, a crag of Devonian volcanics polished smooth by glacial action was, until the 1980s, guarded by an iron railing fence and a plaque. Sadly, in the interests of public safety, the overhanging rock and fence have now gone, as has the latest plaque. According to David Land: What makes the Blackford Quarry rock face so important and significant, not merely locally or even nationally, but internationally, is that it marks the first recognition in the world of the reality of former ice sheets where now there is no ice.

  29. #28
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This one is a cracker: http://web.uvic.ca/~rutherfo/a_smith.html

    The final resting place of Adam Smith, author of 'The Wealth of Nations' and probably one of the most influential economic thinkers. Tucked away in Canongate Churchyard in a relatively un-fancy grave. Discovered it by accident one day during a lunchtime walk.

    It's almost literally a stone's throw from the Scottish Parliament which makes for a nice historical coincidence.
    Made the pilgrimage to that one. David Hume is up in Calton Graveyard.

  30. #29
    Coaching Staff Tomsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington 125
    Posts
    5,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Made the pilgrimage to that one. David Hume is up in Calton Graveyard.
    The Calton Burial Ground, on Waterloo Place for those who don't know it, also hosts a memorial to Scots who served and died fighting in the American Civil War. The memorial features a full length statue of Abraham Lincoln. Worth popping in to see if you're passing by.

    One of my favourite curios is the cat peering over the gable end on the roof at Ramsay Gardens.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Calton Burial Ground, on Waterloo Place for those who don't know it, also hosts a memorial to Scots who served and died fighting in the American Civil War. The memorial features a full length statue of Abraham Lincoln. Worth popping in to see if you're passing by.

    One of my favourite curios is the cat peering over the gable end on the roof at Ramsay Gardens.
    I think the cat thing can be found on a few buildings in the city. It was a sign put there by the architect whose name I can't remember but was a famous architect of the time.
    Space to let

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved