hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    I don't like vigilantism - and I especially don't like the fact that they stick these films on facebook rather than handing their evidence to the police. It feels like they're in this for reasons other than protecting kids.

As someone who occasionally works with children I'm also wary about stuff that fuels the hysteria about paedophiles in this country. Are there dangerous people out there that should be kept away from kids? Yes of course there are, but nowhere near the numbers that popular media would like you to believe. Organisations should of course be held to account and made to have the correct systems in place to prevent abuse - we should never be complacent about this - but at the same time we're causing as much damage as we're preventing with the way we're structuring our society around children.

As a final point, if these guys - or anyone - really wanted to protect kids they'd be much better off donating to foodbanks, setting up kids clubs, or organising witch-hunts against all the parents out there who simply don't give a s**t about their children. Poverty, neglect, bad parenting and disinterest is causing far more harm to the children in our society than anything else.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like vigilantism - and I especially don't like the fact that they stick these films on facebook rather than handing their evidence to the police. It feels like they're in this for reasons other than protecting kids.

As someone who occasionally works with children I'm also wary about stuff that fuels the hysteria about paedophiles in this country. Are there dangerous people out there that should be kept away from kids? Yes of course there are, but nowhere near the numbers that popular media would like you to believe. Organisations should of course be held to account and made to have the correct systems in place to prevent abuse - we should never be complacent about this - but at the same time we're causing as much damage as we're preventing with the way we're structuring our society around children.

As a final point, if these guys - or anyone - really wanted to protect kids they'd be much better off donating to foodbanks, setting up kids clubs, or organising witch-hunts against all the parents out there who simply don't give a s**t about their children. Poverty, neglect, bad parenting and disinterest is causing far more harm to the children in our society than anything else.
    Nowhere near the numbers that popular media would like you to believe.

How can you back up that statement?
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Was a massive mob outside a paedo's house in Armadale last night. Looked about 40 police officers from the video keeping the crowd contained before they went in and grabbed him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Was a massive mob outside a paedo's house in Armadale last night. Looked about 40 police officers from the video keeping the crowd contained before they went in and grabbed him.
    Reminds me of Bryan Potter in Phoenix Nights

"What's wrong with this lot Gerry? They haven't been this excited since the paper published that paedophile's address."

I hate mobs. The fact is they are probably living next to predators, and are none the wiser.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Reminds me of Bryan Potter in Phoenix Nights

"What's wrong with this lot Gerry? They haven't been this excited since the paper published that paedophile's address."

I hate mobs. The fact is they are probably living next to predators, and are none the wiser.
    Might even be predators in the mob.

Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    we should never be complacent about this - but at the same time we're causing as much damage as we're preventing with the way we're structuring our society around children
    With what paedos aim to do with kids that is some statement to make.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Might even be predators in the mob.
    Casting the spotlight as far away from them as possible.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Same thing in Uphall yesterday.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Nowhere near the numbers that popular media would like you to believe.

How can you back up that statement?
    The archetypal ‘child snatcher’ type paedophile is actually a whole lot rarer than the media likes to portray. Further, these types of offenders have pretty low reoffending rates compared to other types of offenders.

That said, numbers of convicted child sex offenders living in communities all around us is probably higher than most people think IMO.

If this is someone trying to reintegrate, what do these mobs hope to achieve? All they’re doing is driving the guy to a different community, possibly away from important support networks which, in turn, actually increases the risk of reoffending.

So eh, thanks to the mob...

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    If this is someone trying to reintegrate, what do these mobs hope to achieve? All they’re doing is driving the guy to a different community, possibly away from important support networks which, in turn, actually increases the risk of reoffending.

So eh, thanks to the mob...
    Absolutely agree.

If such a person has been allowed to stay in a community by those who know best, they will be there under strict conditions and observation.

It's the old NIMBY attitude, though. Personally, I'd rather not know my neighbour's private history. I'd rather sleep well in ignorance

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 27-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Assuming these individuals subject to the wrath of the mob are either convicted or have plead guilty to something.

I am sure there was a case where a pediatrician was hounded out his house by a mob.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    You tube is full of these type of videos, some of these groups appear to be unemployed idiots who go way over the top like taking the accused phones and car keys off them and threaten suspects with violence if they try to run, they absolutely cannot do that and those actions could see cases collapse. They come across as uneducated and very unprofessional and lacking in knowledge about the law.

There has been cases where they've got the wrong person and these sort of false accusations ruin lives forever. If they are going to do this they have to be 100% certain they have got the right person. Another thing thats becoming popular is live broadcasts on Facebook which can turn particularly nasty as they give away the location in some of the videos and locals also recognise areas, that leads to mobs gathering and potential confrontations between mobs, suspects and police. I don't like vigilanteism as you can guarantee that one day a suspect will get seriously injured or killed and who knows, the person may be innocent.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 27-06-2018 at 04:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

The mob torched the accused car as well.

https://www.scotsman.com/livingston/...vert-1-4760882

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Assuming these individuals subject to the wrath of the mob are either convicted or have plead guilty to something.

I am sure there was a case where a pediatrician was hounded out his house by a mob.
    That was an urban myth, apparently.

But you can see how it might happen.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    That was an urban myth, apparently.

But you can see how it might happen.

A mob misidentified a man after the News of the World published pictures.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...gn-711165.html
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 27-06-2018 at 05:30 PM.

A mob misidentified a man after the News of the World published pictures.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...gn-711165.html
    I can't see any paediatrician mentioned there.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I can't see any paediatrician mentioned there.

probably this

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/...ection.society
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Yeah, i remember that. But it was then spiked by this

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.pre...igilantes/amp/

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Yeah, i remember that. But it was then spiked by this

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.pre...igilantes/amp/

learn summat new every day!
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    learn summat new every day!

I believed the same story for years. Think it was someone on here who put me right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    An example that came up on my timeline yesterday.

https://twitter.com/weejohnhoyayee/s...709276160?s=21
    Cut his balls off... Deserves everything he gets.. I wonder if the almost apologetic brigade on here have young kids, especially daughters themselves 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post
    Cut his balls off... Deserves everything he gets.. I wonder if the almost apologetic brigade on here have young kids, especially daughters themselves 🙄
    If I'm in the "apologetic brigade" in your eyes, then yes, I do have a young daughter.

You're mistaking condoning what these guys do (I'm certainly not), with not condoning mobs running amok, torching cars, forcing people out of houses and all the rest of it - such behaviour does not actually help anyone, apart from those in the mob who then portray themselves as some sort of hero of the people by plastering their 'success' all over social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post
    Cut his balls off... Deserves everything he gets.. I wonder if the almost apologetic brigade on here have young kids, especially daughters themselves
    I'm not sure why not having young kids would disqualify people from having an opinion.

First Team Breakthrough
    I feel sorry for the vast majority of decent people who live in places like Armadale. How do you carry on normally when there is a complete breakdown in law in order.

This lot have tasted blood, and have got a real kick from what happened the other night. I'd hate to be a single, middle aged man, living in a place like that right now.

It will soon get to the stage where you are either part of the mob or you must be a nonce. I think that community needs an intervention quickly to stop the situation getting out of hand.

I feel sorry for the vast majority of decent people who live in places like Armadale. How do you carry on normally when there is a complete breakdown in law in order.

This lot have tasted blood, and have got a real kick from what happened the other night. I'd hate to be a single, middle aged man, living in a place like that right now.

It will soon get to the stage where you are either part of the mob or you must be a nonce. I think that community needs an intervention quickly to stop the situation getting out of hand.
    Being part of a mob, with a perceived justified grievance, gives types like that a warm feeling inside. It makes a change from wallowing at the bottom of life's pond.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Being part of a mob, with a perceived justified grievance, gives types like that a warm feeling inside. It makes a change from wallowing at the bottom of life's pond.
    As soon as I read this it reminded me of big Mags Haney from the Raploch, Stirling.
    Self proclaimed leader of an anti-paedophile group that made a lot of noise and and tied up a lot of limited resources in the early 90's.
    Fast forward to her death from cancer 5 years ago and her eulogy read more like Pablo Escobar than model citizen of the community. Heroin dealer, benefits cheat, many of her family in jail at time of death, threats and intimidation against the community she proclaimed to protect,,,,
    The world is a better place without people like that.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Somebody said in the EEN comments. It's a great British tradition. When it gets too hot, people get pissed and riot.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Check out "Chris Hansen vs predator" on YouTube, the guy is the alpha on this
    'Just take a seat over there'

Hanson ruins the predators.

In reference to the paedophile hunting groups, I've seen some of the videos on You Tube, and, though I fully understand why they do it, such stings do raise worries of mob justice and the possibility of jeopardising police investigations. It's better that such online predators are unwittingly chatting to an adult than a real child; no argument there. I don't know about these sites and apps they use, but one can imagine they must be a magnet for perverts and oddballs, and removing some from circulation is to be welcomed. However, there are risks to this kind of thing which raise serious concerns.

I'm somewhat ambivalent on this. In a perfect world, I would say leave it to the authorities, but they have finite resources and can't do everything; yet I have worries about these hunting groups.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875