hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Portuguese (Sporting Lisbon) players.

Just wondered if anybody knew much about this. Players and staff were attacked by 50 fans in May, and 7 players have terminated their own contracts. Now I'm not for a second suggesting that players should be attacked by fans at any time, but it seems strange that they've actually been allowed to terminate their own contracts. The goalie Patricio has already signed for Wolves. I would have thought the club would definitely be appealing this. During the game against Morocco, the commentator was going on about one of the players who came on as a sub, valued at £87 Million, Fernandes. That's a lot of money to lose, so I suppose it all boils down to the club has not provided security for players while they're training?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Its madness just been reading about it, all because they did not get in the CL positions.
    they get attacked at training, Id be leaving too, Fk playing for fans like that!
    Must be part of the contract that allows them to cancel it if they feel their safety is at risk, And they certainly have a point, youd have thought they
    could sell the players tho. must not have a choice,

Can we get ryan gauld on a free transfer then
    Last edited by Gibby the Hibby; 20-06-2018 at 02:35 PM.

There's no such issue at Sporting Lisbon. In fact, Sporting Lisboa Benfica aren't making many waves at all at the moment.

I suspect you mean Sporting club de Portugal. Where the chairman was formerly a hooligan and criticised the players for their performances and, it has been hinted at, may have had a guiding hand in the attack at the training ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby the Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its madness just been reading about it, all because they did not get in the CL positions.
    they get attacked at training, Id be leaving too, Fk playing for fans like that!
    Must be part of the contract that allows them to cancel it if they feel their safety is at risk, And they certainly have a point, youd have thought they
    could sell the players tho. must not have a choice,

Can we get ryan gauld on a free transfer then
    Don’t think he’s leaving get promoted to the 1st team

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    There's no such issue at Sporting Lisbon. In fact, Sporting Lisboa Benfica aren't making many waves at all at the moment.

I suspect you mean Sporting club de Portugal. Where the chairman was formerly a hooligan and criticised the players for their performances and, it has been hinted at, may have had a guiding hand in the attack at the training ground.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44489158

You could be right, but it does say Sporting Lisbon in the article.

I hadn't heard about this either until earlier. It must have been some attack for the players to unliterally terminate their contracts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44489158

EZ

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12

It is Sporting Lisbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    It is Sporting Lisbon.
    It isn't. The only club with Sporting Lisbon in their name is Benfica: As in Sporting Lisboa Benfica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.L._Benfica

The team with the problem is sporting club de portugal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_CP

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    It isn't. The only club with Sporting Lisbon in their name is Benfica: As in Sporting Lisboa Benfica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.L._Benfica

The team with the problem is sporting club de portugal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_CP
    "The club is usually referred to simply as Sporting in Portuguese-speaking countries, and is often called Sporting Lisbon in other countries."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    It is Sporting Lisbon.
    He's being pedantic re the correct name of the club which is Sporting Club of Portugal but they're commonly referred to as Sporting Lisbon, or just Sporting, even in Portugal where I currently am. My friend is a Sporting fan & he's in bits. At present there are serious doubts 're Sporting's future existence. He's correct though that the chairman is a crook, if not a glib & accomplished liar!

Portuguese (Sporting Lisbon) players.

Sporting Lisbon has always been a kind of unofficial name for Sporting Club. Iv never once heard anyone refer to Benfica as Sporting.

Here is Hibs program, and they certainly didn’t play Benfica.

Last edited by Barman Stanton; 20-06-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    He's being pedantic re the correct name of the club which is Sporting Club of Portugal but they're commonly referred to as Sporting Lisbon, or just Sporting, even in Portugal where I currently am. My friend is a Sporting fan & he's in bits. At present there are serious doubts 're Sporting's future existence. He's correct though that the chairman is a crook, if not a glib & accomplished liar!
    i see.

It was a shocking attack, players quite right to get out of there ASAP

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    To be fair, it is annoying when teams from this country are referred to as "Celtic Glasgow", "Hibernian Edinburgh" or "the Hearts of Midlothian".

I have a soft spot for Internazionale and they're never referred to as "Inter Milan" over there - only "Inter".

@hibs.net private member

There's no such club as Hibs but it's think it's not unreasonable to use that name.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    To be fair, it is annoying when teams from this country are referred to as "Celtic Glasgow", "Hibernian Edinburgh" or "the Hearts of Midlothian".

I have a soft spot for Internazionale and they're never referred to as "Inter Milan" over there - only "Inter".

In Lisbon, you will get a lot of Benfica merchandise in the official shop with SLB or the full name, but the team are really just referred to as Benfica.

And with their derby rivals in green it's Sporting, Sporting CP, SCP or occasionally Sporting Portugal, but generally just Sporting.

Nevertheless, Sporting Lisbon is a commonplace name, certainly in the UK.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Isn't it amazing, yet predictable, that a story on a serious issue can be sidetracked so easily... in this case to what is the correct name of the club.

To get back to the point; I think if I was one of the players, I'd want to leave as early as possible as well. Who'd want to play for a group of fans willing to attack you, just because you didn't meet their demanding standards?

If the owner of the club, and it's a big if, encouraged it in any way, then that is absolutely deplorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Isn't it amazing, yet predictable, that a story on a serious issue can be sidetracked so easily... in this case to what is the correct name of the club.

To get back to the point; I think if I was one of the players, I'd want to leave as early as possible as well. Who'd want to play for a group of fans willing to attack you, just because you didn't meet their demanding standards?

If the owner of the club, and it's a big if, encouraged it in any way, then that is absolutely deplorable.
    Exactly. It's clear that the team known as Sporting Lisbon is the team involved. No need for it.

Bit of a bonkers situation over there that's for sure. Club must have agreed to terminate contracts Rui Patricio wouldn't have been able to sign for Wolves otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Exactly. It's clear that the team known as Sporting Lisbon is the team involved. No need for it.

Bit of a bonkers situation over there that's for sure. Club must have agreed to terminate contracts Rui Patricio wouldn't have been able to sign for Wolves otherwise.
    Except the team known as sporting Lisbon - which is benfica is not involved.

The idea that I'm somehow wrong because other people have been wrong for a long time is interesting.

The idea that I'm somehow wrong because other people have been wrong for a long time is interesting.
    So you're suggesting the team involved are not KNOWN as Sporting Lisbon then?

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar

Get over yourself. We’re all aware that the team involved is widely known in the uk as Sporting Lisbon.

Atrocious behaviour from the fans. However I wonder what’s keeping the rest of the squad there?

We get it, you know the name of the club 10 points for you. Let it go already!

You’re not wrong. But you are being pendantic. Sporting Lisbon is used throughout football coverage across Europe.

Were the players actually attacked or was this just a rumour made up by an obese, slug-like creature to deflect attention away from something else?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    You’re not wrong. But you are being pendantic. Sporting Lisbon is used throughout football coverage across Europe.
    Or perhaps other things beginning with a P. Perplexing,, pointless , stuff like that.
    I grew up knowing I had watched us hammer Sporting Lisbon and I've been to matches at both them and Benfica. And Estoril. Who were playing Porto....another P....oh, wait....Hibs slippered those as well and they were called something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Or perhaps other things beginning with a P. Perplexing,, pointless , stuff like that.
    I grew up knowing I had watched us hammer Sporting Lisbon and I've been to matches at both them and Benfica. And Estoril. Who were playing Porto....another P....oh, wait....Hibs slippered those as well and they were called something else...
    It's not Hibs. It's Hibernian Edinburgh. Hibs is simply not correct as you have not stated the full name of the club so Hibernian Edinburgh cannot be involved.

In this country nobody would refer to Benfica as Sporting Lisbon , they would refer to them as Benfica.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Oh stop it.

A wee light hearted point of correction is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous.

Tell me, do you pronounce Paris as Paree or do you sometimes accept a bit of anglicisation of foreign names?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    It's not Hibs. It's Hibernian Edinburgh. Hibs is simply not correct as you have not stated the full name of the club so Hibernian Edinburgh cannot be involved.
    This never ends well for the Logic fellah in 'Viz'.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Oh stop it.

A wee light hearted point of correction is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous.

Tell me, do you pronounce Paris as Paree or do you sometimes accept a bit of anglicisation of foreign names?
    Paris St Germain football club. No idea who PSG are.