hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The biggest cannabis agri firms are actually Canadian firms rather than US.
    Thanks, but it doesn't change the main thrust of my argument.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    We can have both.

Reduced costs for the justice system. Improved health for those in need. Increase in the tax take. Increases in legitimate employment.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Yes, we can, and we appear to be heading there. Ironic though that society's morality shifts according to who lobbies hardest. Bookies are now pariahs again, with a loss of jobs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Thanks, but it doesn't change the main thrust of my argument.
    Might indicate how well researched it is tho :-)

Naa seriously nothing significant can happen in the states without a racial lens being put on it. Race may be an element to the recent liberation of state laws on cannabis but if it is Iím not buying the fact that it is the primary driver.

Clearly the US market for weed is a significant new market so itís no surprise that there is capital chasing that. And with some players worth multi $b and the likes of Canopy already listed on the NYSE investor shows in London are not really an indication of anything but standard fair.

Left by mutual consent!
    Might indicate how well researched it is tho :-)

Naa seriously nothing significant can happen in the states without a racial lens being put on it. Race may be an element to the recent liberation of state laws on cannabis but if it is I’m not buying the fact that it is the primary driver.

Clearly the US market for weed is a significant new market so it’s no surprise that there is capital chasing that. And with some players worth multi $b and the likes of Canopy already listed on the NYSE investor shows in London are not really an indication of anything but standard fair.
    Researched at the University of the Bloke in the Pub.

Feel free to make corrections that will make a significant difference to the hypothesis.

Lets put it another way, most of the people investing in Cannabis are white. You can take whatever conclusion from that you want.

Likewise, business is investing, bookies are getting closed, and the Chief Medical Officer has come out and backed medicinal Cannabis. People can draw their own conclusions.

Id be interested in alternative interpretations.
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 04-07-2018 at 06:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Researched at the University of the Bloke in the Pub.

Feel free to make corrections that will make a significant difference to the hypothesis.

Lets put it another way, most of the people investing in Cannabis are white. You can take whatever conclusion from that you want.

Likewise, business is investing, bookies are getting closed, and the Chief Medical Officer has come out and backed medicinal Cannabis. People can draw their own conclusions.

Id be interested in alternative interpretations.
    Ahh defo the best place for research thatís for sure

But none the less it seems impossible for you to have any reliable evidence of what colour of skin investors have in a business, especially ones that are publicly listed....not a statistic share register analysis normally evidences. Or indeed the percentage of white investors in cannabis v other markets. How does the percentage of investors that are white in the cannabis industry compare to the percentage of investors that are white is say technology or biotech or any other industry that the States tends to dominate?

Then of course there is the obvious examples where the investor is not white as we see with Casa Verde Capital which is an extremely prominent cannabis industry investor.

The there is another couple of counter arguments in that, as per some statistics, black people in America are 4 times more likely to be prosecuted for cannabis then the legalisation of it will benefit them significantly. Also there is the suggestion that prohibition of the drug was racially motivated in the first place, that narrative seems somewhat at odds if the removal of that prohibition is now also being described as racially motivated.

So as I said Iím not buying the fact the the primary driver for the wave of legalisation across the US is based in racial prejudice. If anything this is a classic case of correlation not causation.

And finally Iíve got no idea about how any of that links to bookies being closed 🤪

Left by mutual consent!
    Ahh defo the best place for research thatís for sure

But none the less it seems impossible for you to have any reliable evidence of what colour of skin investors have in a business, especially ones that are publicly listed....not a statistic share register analysis normally evidences. Or indeed the percentage of white investors in cannabis v other markets. How does the percentage of investors that are white in the cannabis industry compare to the percentage of investors that are white is say technology or biotech or any other industry that the States tends to dominate?

Then of course there is the obvious examples where the investor is not white as we see with Casa Verde Capital which is an extremely prominent cannabis industry investor.

The there is another couple of counter arguments in that, as per some statistics, black people in America are 4 times more likely to be prosecuted for cannabis then the legalisation of it will benefit them significantly. Also there is the suggestion that prohibition of the drug was racially motivated in the first place, that narrative seems somewhat at odds if the removal of that prohibition is now also being described as racially motivated.

So as I said Iím not buying the fact the the primary driver for the wave of legalisation across the US is based in racial prejudice. If anything this is a classic case of correlation not causation.

And finally Iíve got no idea about how any of that links to bookies being closed 🤪
    Close bookies, lose tax, empty shops, need new stream of tax, empty shops. No evidence, they haven't been good enough to admit it.

I think you're missing the point. I'm saying there are lots of signs that legalisation is imminent.

"White Man" need not necessarily relate to skin colour, rather respectability, although chances are most of the funders do have white skin, given the socio-economic mix of the USA.

Some have also said that the war on drugs was actually a war on black people, no citations available. I

Back to the point I made, I reckon legalisation will be soon in the UK. I am not in charge of the decision making process, and all I am doing is reading the signs.

Blog Entries
    Up until very recently I smoked it a lot. I stopped because it was costing me a lot and it was making me lazy. I have two staffies that need a lot of exercise and the weed made me just want to sit in the house. Not sure if it has that effect on everyone though.

Close bookies, lose tax, empty shops, need new stream of tax, empty shops. No evidence, they haven't been good enough to admit it.

I think you're missing the point. I'm saying there are lots of signs that legalisation is imminent.

"White Man" need not necessarily relate to skin colour, rather respectability, although chances are most of the funders do have white skin, given the socio-economic mix of the USA.

Some have also said that the war on drugs was actually a war on black people, no citations available. I

Back to the point I made, I reckon legalisation will be soon in the UK. I am not in charge of the decision making process, and all I am doing is reading the signs.

Why use he term white man? I think you are trying to highlight something that doesn't really exist. Are you Yaya Toure?

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Up until very recently I smoked it a lot. I stopped because it was costing me a lot and it was making me lazy. I have two staffies that need a lot of exercise and the weed made me just want to sit in the house. Not sure if it has that effect on everyone though.
    If you could have went somewhere and bought less strong stuff for slightly less cost would you have? A bit pollen for example?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Why use he term white man? I think you are trying to highlight something that doesn't really exist. Are you Yaya Toure?
    I suspect you are looking for something that isn't there. Maybe I should have said "Men Who Mostly Are Not Black?

I hadn't really thought of it. It's part of the conspiracy theory in stoner circles.

Watch movies like Savages. Ya Ya Toure got turned down for a part.

I suspect you are looking for something that isn't there. Maybe I should have said "Men Who Mostly Are Not Black?

I hadn't really thought of it. It's part of the conspiracy theory in stoner circles.

Watch movies like Savages. Ya Ya Toure got turned down for a part.

Cool mate. Sounds like you have a good supply. Any going spare?😉

First Team Breakthrough Navids Numpties's Avatar
    I know Iíll get stic for this but I donít agree that it should be legalised, only for medicinal purposes. When I was younger I smoked so much that I was hearing voices in my head and I know this was due to my over consumption but when you think itís fine to smoke you willl smoke to excess. I was constantly in and out the Andrew Duncan hospital. It totally ruined my life for a few years and my families. Thankfully I am better now but am traumatised from the ordeal. If it was legal I would advise nobody to smoke it as it certainly does nothing but damage your lungs and your mental health. I agree though that it should be legal for medicinal purposes such as for people who suffer from Parkinsonís, seizures or cancer and other medical conditions as it does actually help. I know Iíll probably get stick for this and what I say but please do stay away from it guys. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Navids Numpties View Post
    I know Iíll get stic for this but I donít agree that it should be legalised, only for medicinal purposes. When I was younger I smoked so much that I was hearing voices in my head and I know this was due to my over consumption but when you think itís fine to smoke you willl smoke to excess. I was constantly in and out the Andrew Duncan hospital. It totally ruined my life for a few years and my families. Thankfully I am better now but am traumatised from the ordeal. If it was legal I would advise nobody to smoke it as it certainly does nothing but damage your lungs and your mental health. I agree though that it should be legal for medicinal purposes such as for people who suffer from Parkinsonís, seizures or cancer and other medical conditions as it does actually help. I know Iíll probably get stick for this and what I say but please do stay away from it guys. Thanks.
    Same could be said for alcohol, gambling, chocolate biscuits and loads of other things.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Same could be said for alcohol, gambling, chocolate biscuits and loads of other things.
    Not sure too many go to the Andrew Duncan for eating too many chocolate biscuits...

Not sure too many go to the Andrew Duncan for eating too many chocolate biscuits...
    Maybe not but too much of anything can lead to problems.

Left by mutual consent!
    Eating Disorders spring to mind.
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 08-07-2018 at 07:31 AM.

If a person is addicted to painkillers than cannabis, such as jelly bean can save the situation and help people recover their pains. So I think that medical marijuana should be legalized.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elem3nt17 View Post
    If a person is addicted to painkillers than cannabis, such as jelly bean can save the situation and help people recover their pains. So I think that medical marijuana should be legalized.
    My Mrs is addicted to Tramadol. It is part of mixture of tablets that she has to take. The advice from her GP is that as she needs them, there is more harm in not taking them on the proviso that the dosage does not exceed what she is told to take. Difference is that it comes in box from the chemist, rather than a mate of a mate inva dodgy flat.

Legal for recreational use in Canada from today. Well done them, I say. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...anada-45806255

Left by mutual consent!
    As far as I'm concerned, all drugs discussion should start with why people take them. The answer is usually "because they enjoy it."

As a society we should do all we can to remove the danger, and to help people make informed choices. Too much policy is nothing more than a judgement on people's morality.

As far as I'm concerned, all drugs discussion should start with why people take them. The answer is usually "because they enjoy it."

As a society we should do all we can to remove the danger, and to help people make informed choices. Too much policy is nothing more than a judgement on people's morality.
    Amen to that.

First Team Breakthrough
    In the Barcelona Municipal area anyone can grow up to five plants as long as they are out of public sight.

I don't know what amount of cannabis this produces but it a no brainer for smokers.

Cheap as chips too.

What strength of a joint this produces I don't know but I think the government will relax the law on its use at some stage.

They will add duty to it and VAT if they eventually allow over the counter sales. This is when dealers will make a killing out of it.

Don't think the government will keep it artificially cheap to fight the black market for it. They must apply tax and duty fairly to alcohol, cigs and cannabis

across the board. It will be yet another source of billions in tax if they legalise it.

Therefore be careful what you wish for.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    In the Barcelona Municipal area anyone can grow up to five plants as long as they are out of public sight.

I don't know what amount of cannabis this produces but it a no brainer for smokers.

Cheap as chips too.

What strength of a joint this produces I don't know but I think the government will relax the law on its use at some stage.

They will add duty to it and VAT if they eventually allow over the counter sales. This is when dealers will make a killing out of it.

Don't think the government will keep it artificially cheap to fight the black market for it. They must apply tax and duty fairly to alcohol, cigs and cannabis

across the board. It will be yet another source of billions in tax if they legalise it.

Therefore be careful what you wish for.
    Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. An increase in tax revenue is a good thing, no?

First Team Breakthrough
    Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. An increase in tax revenue is a good thing, no?

What I mean is if a cost of a cannabis cigarette at the moment is eg £10 after legalisation added duties etc tax that will cost £13 to £14 over the counter.

Dealers who sell it now for £10 will make killing by undercutting the new price to eg£12.

These are ball park figures. That's why some people in California still buy illegally as it is much cheaper than buying over the counter, so to speak.

What I mean is if a cost of a cannabis cigarette at the moment is eg £10 after legalisation added duties etc tax that will cost £13 to £14 over the counter.

Dealers who sell it now for £10 will make killing by undercutting the new price to eg£12.

These are ball park figures. That's why some people in California still buy illegally as it is much cheaper than buying over the counter, so to speak.
    The market in California is still very young, and will take a while to develop. As will law enforcement against illegal dealers. Once it does, and once people realise that they can rely on the legal supply, a lot of people will be making a good living, legally, and hence the Government will too.

There will also be a lot less police time involved too, which has to be a good thing.

That's true, but consistent quality is a huge factor. Using Amsterdam as an example, they have menus to choose from and you are guaranteed a good product. Buying from street dealers would be akin to buying decent home brew for a bit cheaper than a few cans from the shop.

@hibs.net private member

Not always Crops, you should know that

Not always Crops, you should know that
    Depends how the *******s spend it, right enough

Legalise cannabis? You're encouraging folk to roll joints with tobacco?
    Haven't we spent billions on health campaigns about this in the last few decades?

Testimonial Due
    Its definately a good thing...and hopefully many more countries follow Canada and Uruguay with legalisation.

Cannabis causes far less trouble and deaths than Alcohol.

I lived in The Netherlands for 8 years,and smoked it regularly.
    I actually stopped smoking it there!

When people have a choice...its far better.

Alot of people only smoke it cause its illegal,when its as easy as buying a packet of cigarettes....It loses abit of appeal i found.

Nothing against it...Just found I wasnt really that interested in it anymore