hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Do you think VAR at the world cup is a success or failure?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success

95 76.00%
  • Failure

30 24.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup VAR

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I know that some people like it but now that the tournament is over I can safely say I dislike it now even more than I did before the tournament.

I think I've seen one genuine injustice overturned from it (penalty in a South Korea in the group stages IIRC), but I've also seen several shocking decisions made as a result of it. A bad decision at any point can lead to a goal, as we learned from the first one today. I think the penalty decision is a shocker.

I like rule changes that improve football and advance the game - and can be applied at any level of the game. The passback rule has been the best example in my lifetime of a positive one. In my opinion, VAR has done nothing to advance the game, and it will never be applied at all levels of football.

It's been a great WC, but it would have still been without VAR - even better IMO. Take the money used on it and make goal line technology an industry standard - something that has improved the game a great deal.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that some people like it but now that the tournament is over I can safely say I dislike it now even more than I did before the tournament.

I think I've seen one genuine injustice overturned from it (penalty in a South Korea in the group stages IIRC), but I've also seen several shocking decisions made as a result of it. A bad decision at any point can lead to a goal, as we learned from the first one today. I think the penalty decision is a shocker.

I like rule changes that improve football and advance the game - and can be applied at any level of the game. The passback rule has been the best example in my lifetime of a positive one. In my opinion, VAR has done nothing to advance the game, and it will never be applied at all levels of football.

It's been a great WC, but it would have still been without VAR - even better IMO. Take the money used on it and make goal line technology an industry standard - something that has improved the game a great deal.
    For me, anything that is subjective shouldn’t have VAR. Like the penalty today, I thought it was the correct decision, others think it was wrong.

Bring it in for goal-line technology and offside then leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    For me, anything that is subjective shouldn’t have VAR. Like the penalty today, I thought it was the correct decision, others think it was wrong.

Yep, been my stance all along BH. Binary things are fine - but mistaken identity aside, everything VAR is used for is subjective.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Once again VAR decision is wrong, this time in the final. I don’t like it, I wish they would just leave the game alone. Plus it will mean two different types of football match..those with VAR (rich leagues) and those without. Unless FIFA are willing to bankroll VAR in every professional league in the world, they shouldn’t be allowed to use it. Some of the “deliberate” handballs that have been given at this World Cup have been ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Once again VAR decision is wrong, this time in the final. I don’t like it, I wish they would just leave the game alone. Plus it will mean two different types of football match..those with VAR (rich leagues) and those without. Unless FIFA are willing to bankroll VAR in every professional league in the world, they shouldn’t be allowed to use it. Some of the “deliberate” handballs that have been given at this World Cup have been ridiculous.
    Lots of games don't have goal line technology.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

What about Maradona's or Thirty Henry's hand balls?

Blatant cheating which CAR would have caught.

It's in its infancy but I think VAR is a positive innovation and it's here to stay, imo.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

It's in its infancy but I think VAR is a positive innovation and it's here to stay, imo.
    Griezman blatantly cheated to win the free kick for the first goal today.

Yeah. VAR should have been used, but it wasn't.

100% - shocker.

@hibs.net private member
    So are you saying we should use VAR for every foul that occurs?

Not for me

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Lots of games don't have goal line technology.
    and I firmly believe that FIFA should pay for it in all professional leagues. Football should be the same game no matter what league you are in.

Left by mutual consent!

Clearly hits his hand..so penalty.

Fair enough I did have over 1.5 french first half goals...so may be bias.

But that was a penalty...end of story.

(If VAR was in Scotland...we would of been in a higher position in the league also last season.)

Think about that.
    Last edited by Ryan69; 15-07-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Left by mutual consent!

Or the goal England scored to finalise the 66 world cup...could of been a different result :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post

(If VAR was in Scotland...we would of been in a higher position in the league also last season.)

Think about that.
    The fact that it hit his hand doesn't automatically mean it's a penalty.

I do think about it. And I don't want it.

Goal line technology would've helped us much more over the years.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

Think about that.
    And we wouldn't have been relegated IIRC.

Think about that.
    Not sure of the official rules so I'm not sure but IMO, never a pen. Hand is in natural position, ball moves a split second before striking it and in no way shape or form intentional... Would never be a free kick in open play, outside the box and should never have been a pen.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    Not sure of the official rules so I'm not sure but IMO, never a pen. Hand is in natural position, ball moves a split second before striking it and in no way shape or form intentional... Would never be a free kick in open play, outside the box and should never have been a pen.
    I thought he moved his hand down to the ball, but it’s a matter of opinion so VAR not really much good in this type of circumstance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't think it was a penalty.

More importantly, neither did the referee at the time so the decision should not have been overturned as there was no clear and obvious evidence that Perisic attempted to block the ball using his hand.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

What has VAR got to do with the penalty decision? If it was wrong (it wasn't, clear handball in the box) the it was the referee, not VAR, to blame since he reviewed it. Like blaming CCTV for a burglary...

VAR is amazing, so many correct decisions made with it and it's only the first time we're seeing it. Can't wait till it gets better and better and games are won and lost on skill, not ****ty refereeing decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    The ball didn't change direction just before, Umtiti missed it and free kicks are given every week in every league for that, we've both seen it plenty of times just at Easter Road I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    VAR doesnt make decisions, it shows a video action replay. Officials make decisions. If they are wrong it is them to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    VAR doesnt make decisions, it shows a video action replay. Officials make decisions. If they are wrong it is them to blame.
    You are correct, however, VAR puts officials in a position where they will instantly feel as though they must have made an error simply by the fact that a review is underway, today was a perfect example.

I get what you are saying that the officials make the decisions but if we are putting them in situations that can negatively influence their ability to make an impartial decision then IMO it is a fair opinion to see VAR as a negative influence on the game.

The ball didn't change direction just before, Umtiti missed it and free kicks are given every week in every league for that, we've both seen it plenty of times just at Easter Road I'd imagine.
    It came off the top of the guys head. But if you feel that’s a deliberate handball then fair play. The guy should maybe take up goalkeeping as that’s a world class reflex stop.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    What has VAR got to do with the penalty decision? If it was wrong (it wasn't, clear handball in the box) the it was the referee, not VAR, to blame since he reviewed it. Like blaming CCTV for a burglary...

VAR is amazing, so many correct decisions made with it and it's only the first time we're seeing it. Can't wait till it gets better and better and games are won and lost on skill, not ****ty refereeing decisions.
    Ball hit a defender less than a yard away and Perisic was in the middle of a jump.

No chance that can be deemed deliberate.

VAR is good but pointless when a referee reviews it and still makes the wrong decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Ball hit a defender less than a yard away and Perisic was in the middle of a jump.

No chance that can be deemed deliberate.
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    It came off the top of the guys head. But if you feel that’s a deliberate handball then fair play. The guy should maybe take up goalkeeping as that’s a world class reflex stop.
    Obviously it wasn't a deliberate hand ball, who deliberately hand balls it in the box in a world cup final at 1-1 with an hour to play? It was still a penalty. That corner was bouncing in the 6 yard box before it was cut out by his hand, can't allow that to go unpunished.

So are you saying we should use VAR for every foul that occurs?

Not for me
    Fair point. I agree.

VAR is good for offsides, penalties etc but not every decision.

Or the goal England scored to finalise the 66 world cup...could of been a different result :)
    That would have been picked up by goal line technology, not VAR.

Under the rules VAR couldn't be used in that situation - it could only be used for penalties, goals, red cards and mistaken identity. This is where I think an appeal could have been used if Croatia felt they had a case for the decision to be reviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I didn't think it was a penalty.

More importantly, neither did the referee at the time so the decision should not have been overturned as there was no clear and obvious evidence that Perisic attempted to block the ball using his hand.
    The problem here is that it looks like the ref didn't actually see the ball hit the defender's hand. If that is the case then it's not wrong for VAR to suggest that he has a look at the replay, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    You are correct, however, VAR puts officials in a position where they will instantly feel as though they must have made an error simply by the fact that a review is underway, today was a perfect example.

I get what you are saying that the officials make the decisions but if we are putting them in situations that can negatively influence their ability to make an impartial decision then IMO it is a fair opinion to see VAR as a negative influence on the game.
    This is a problem - the ref can be influenced by what the VAR guys say and also when seen in slow motion a movement can look more deliberate than in real time (I don't know if the ref got a slow-mo view). This particular decision was very marginal and I think the ref should have given Croatia the benefit of the doubt. To be fair to him, he did look long and hard at it before he made the decision but I don't think I would have given it in his position.

I’ve heard it mentioned that perhaps it would be better to do away with the concept of ‘intent’ when interpreting whether or not a handball is deemed ‘deliberate’ and a way round this would be to make all handballs punishable by a penalty (when in the box).
    While I’m always skeptical as to having a match official (or anyone) applying their mind-reading skills (who can really say what the intentions of another person are?), I fear that attacking players would then deliberately attempt to play the ball to the defenders hand/arm.