hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Do you think VAR at the world cup is a success or failure?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success

95 76.00%
  • Failure

30 24.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup VAR

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    VAR aside does anyone else think there will be a lot more penalties awarded domestically next season?
    Seems the refs have been instructed to be particularly vigilant on the holding and pushing going on at set pieces/corners etc.
    My issue is the sligtest touch on an attacker equals a foul, but the same protection is not given to defenders. fwiw i think attackes now go down far to easily and look to dive at any opportunity which is only gonna get worse with var. this was an opportunity to rid the game of diving but sadly it seems to have been missed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Well, if people like their sport lacking controversy then fair enough.

Nothing better than the debates of was it or was it not a goal/penalty/red card that comes from human decisions in the heat of the moment.
    See the last rugby world cup for controversy. Our own country was involved. I appreciate your point of view but for me a fair result with fair decisions is more important than whether or not I can have a discussion in the pub

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    It's been more of a success than failure but I still don't like it, still stand by it will make the game too clinical the more it's refined and worked on, grey areas are part of what makes the game, I don't want it black and white
    I'm with you on this one.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Clearly can't help inconsistent refereeing.

Testimonial Due
    Video review has been a tremendous benefit to all sports used, but there is usually a time period of ironing out the wrinkles, and fans getting used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    My issue is the sligtest touch on an attacker equals a foul, but the same protection is not given to defenders. fwiw i think attackes now go down far to easily and look to dive at any opportunity which is only gonna get worse with var. this was an opportunity to rid the game of diving but sadly it seems to have been missed.
    Agree with that. So far, in the games I've seen, players are, as usual, falling about all over the place from minimal contact. Blatant cheating. Must the only sport in the world that allows cheating at that level.

It's that part of the game that needs seriously looked at. Games are often won or lost because of some fannie falling over because someone looked at him.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Before the World Cup started, I was totally against VAR due to all the dubious decisions being made in the FA Cup. Having said that, it’s been a very good addition to this World Cup. 1-2 small grey areas still need to be worked upon but it’s been more a success than a failure during this World Cup so far.

Coaching Staff
    Experienced VAR for half a season here in Oz.

My summation

Will it REDUCE wrong decisions.........Yes
    Will it result in No wrong decisions.......No
    Will wrong decisions be given AFTER viewing the VAR.....Yes
    Will it affect the natural ‘flow’ of the game.......Yes
    Will there be times that the VAR is NOT used when most think it should....Yes

Humans are involved, mistakes will continue to be made......VAR will reduce that, but not eliminate wrong decisions....and I guess the question is.......is the stop/start nature of the technology worth the outcome?

I’m still undecided after several months.....

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I think it will be operating in the CL and the big (ie. rich) European leagues within a couple of years. I doubt we'll have it in Scotland any time soon.
    A shame.

I wonder how many years Rangers would have been denied trophies if VAR had been in use?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    VAR aside does anyone else think there will be a lot more penalties awarded domestically next season?
    Seems the refs have been instructed to be particularly vigilant on the holding and pushing going on at set pieces/corners etc.
    if that is the case then..GOOD

This practice appears to have been allowed to creep into the game over the past few seasons, and has been tolerated and allowed to almost 'be part of the game'

Had such things been done in the seventies say, even in amateur football, penalties would have been awarded all over the place...it just didn't exist.

I don't know why referees suddenly relaxed their vigilance on this..but do remember back in part of the nineties shirt holding seemed to get a bit of a green light for a while too, until it was decided that it should be stamped out.

No room for shirt holding or any kind of rugby tackling...and sharp decisive action will soon eliminate its prevalence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Goal-line technology would have seen Sweden lose out on 3 points today.

How is that better?
    I thought they were using GLT this world cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    if that is the case then..GOOD

This practice appears to have been allowed to creep into the game over the past few seasons, and has been tolerated and allowed to almost 'be part of the game'

Had such things been done in the seventies say, even in amateur football, penalties would have been awarded all over the place...it just didn't exist.

I don't know why referees suddenly relaxed their vigilance on this..but do remember back in part of the nineties shirt holding seemed to get a bit of a green light for a while too, until it was decided that it should be stamped out.

No room for shirt holding or any kind of rugby tackling...and sharp decisive action will soon eliminate its prevalence.
    There were two, at least, particular examples of not only shirt pulling but basically wrestling Harry Kane to the ground at corners in England’s game against Tunisia last night. Two, at least, definite penalty claims for England but totally ignored by the Ref.
    If they are going to use camera evidence then it has to be done right, not to pick and choose what they think should be re-viewed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InchHibby View Post
    There were two, at least, particular examples of not only shirt pulling but basically wrestling Harry Kane to the ground at corners in England’s game against Tunisia last night. Two, at least, definite penalty claims for England but totally ignored by the Ref.
    If they are going to use camera evidence then it has to be done right, not to pick and choose what they think should be re-viewed.
    Yes it’s too inconsistent. Kane was definitely rugby tackled at least twice. One was a certain penalty but on the other occasion you could clearly see an England player, in the same camera shot, blatantly push an opponent in the back. This was a certain penalty but none of this ‘action’ was picked out for VAR. In other matches similar offences have been missed. In effect, VAR has replaced one problem in the game with another, ie. the vigilance, ineptitude or partiality of the VAR officials.

I agree with the first one, but I still think now that the second one he instigated himself. They made sure the ref knew what went on before and he clearly pulls the defenders arm over his own shoulder and falls to make it look like he had been wrestled.

Coaching Staff
    The question originally posed I responded to came with the rider ‘VAR aside...’

TB F ..if the referees can’t see the blatant pulling and wrestling at corners, which now seems to occur at most games and is ignored, it’s not VAR they need...it’s a Check up at Specsavers.....

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I’m all for it. Anything to get more decisions right. Folk saying it ends debate - couldn’t disagree more. There will be plenty of debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I’m all for it. Anything to get more decisions right. Folk saying it ends debate - couldn’t disagree more. There will be plenty of debate.

Hopefully referees WILL be able to end debate about their decisions.....it’s a game of fitba where one team is trying to beat the other at fitba.......debate only arises through decisions that are not clear.

We lost the game, but won the debate....😟

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Goal line technology is enough for me. Last night showed that VAR still doesn't guarantee the correct decisions will be made.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Hopefully referees WILL be able to end debate about their decisions.....it’s a game of fitba where one team is trying to beat the other at fitba.......debate only arises through decisions that are not clear.

We lost the game, but won the debate....
    I don’t just mean around refs decisions. We’ll still have plenty to debate. I’m also not too worried that all of a sudden 100% of decisions will be correct. It still comes down to opinion. But as long as it improves, and helps get the glaring ones right, I’m behind it.
    They do need to get more consistent at calling reviews tho. Kane got dragged to the ground last night - was a stonewaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Goal line technology is enough for me. Last night showed that VAR still doesn't guarantee the correct decisions will be made.
    For me it’s about the certainties, goal line, offside, in or out the box etc, the referee still referees the game himself, and can check over the black and white decisions, handballs, fouls etc are all down to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Yes it’s too inconsistent. Kane was definitely rugby tackled at least twice. One was a certain penalty but on the other occasion you could clearly see an England player, in the same camera shot, blatantly push an opponent in the back. This was a certain penalty but none of this ‘action’ was picked out for VAR. In other matches similar offences have been missed. In effect, VAR has replaced one problem in the game with another, ie. the vigilance, ineptitude or partiality of the VAR officials.
    The issue with this is that at every corner you see multiple fouls committed by both sides. If you look at the incidents with Harry Kane that the media are all over this morning you can see that he is clearly fouled. What you can also see, but is being blatently ignored by the English media, is in every instance the same offence being committed by an England player.

This is generally what happens at every corner in every match from the world cup to the amateurs.

The referee cannot punish 1 and ignore the other.

I can say as an ex-ref it does make the ref's life a bit easier as when to happens you just point to the other offence and explain you cant give one without the other

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by guidref View Post
    The issue with this is that at every corner you see multiple fouls committed by both sides. If you look at the incidents with Harry Kane that the media are all over this morning you can see that he is clearly fouled. What you can also see, but is being blatently ignored by the English media, is in every instance the same offence being committed by an England player.

This is generally what happens at every corner in every match from the world cup to the amateurs.

I can say as an ex-ref it does make the ref's life a bit easier as when to happens you just point to the other offence and explain you cant give one without the other
    I know people who have tried that argument when booked for speeding, and it didn’t work for them.

I know people who have tried that argument when booked for speeding, and it didn’t work for them.
    different laws! your comparing apples with oranges

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    I thought they were using GLT this world cup?
    They are, but GLT doesn't help right the wrongs of a missed penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by guidref View Post

Is it because most of the pushing and wrestling takes place before the kick is taken, therefore the ref can't award a penalty as the ball is already out of play? I know that wasn't the case with Harry Kane last night and I'm mystified as to why a penalty wasn't given there either by the ref or VAR.

Even if that is the case I think the offences are bookable at least and the refs should be waving their cards to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Really dislike it, and most of the stuff it is used for is still subjective anyway.

Goal line technology is all we needed.

I Second that motion!
    The England game last night had "incidents" this VAR was designed to sort out.
    It didn't.
    Scrap it,i say !

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    You're probably right, but it seems strange that deliberately using a hand to score is a yellow while stopping a goal with a hand is a red.
    Thats down to the wording of the laws. Just like when people constantly go on about "last man". The law is "preventing an obvious goal scoring opportunity". So in the case of being the last man it is mostly a red...but in the case of handling on the line it always is a red. That is why despite Maradona blatantly cheating it is not a red.

Quote Originally Posted by HIBEES 4 LIFE View Post
    Thats down to the wording of the laws. Just like when people constantly go on about "last man". The law is "preventing an obvious goal scoring opportunity". So in the case of being the last man it is mostly a red...but in the case of handling on the line it always is a red. That is why despite Maradona blatantly cheating it is not a red.
    And as if by magic, your explanation demonstrated right on cue...

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    And as if by magic, your explanation demonstrated right on cue...
    Knew it.....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBEES 4 LIFE View Post
    I know. I just feel that deliberately scoring with your hand is just as serious cheating as stopping a goal.

When does the double jeopardy rule apply?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!