hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Do you think VAR at the world cup is a success or failure?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success

95 76.00%
  • Failure

30 24.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup VAR

Hybrid View

World Cup VAR

I'm liking it so far. Delays are minimal and wrongs have been righted.

Not for me so far, some incidents not getting reviewed so too inconsistent

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for me so far, some incidents not getting reviewed so too inconsistent
    Every incident is automatically reviewed.

It's only when there's a clear mistake that the ref is asked to look again.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I like it, but I can't see it being widely implemented outside of an international tournament (aside from perhaps the Champions League).

The cost (financial and personnel) of having something like this across all levels of the game would be prohibitive.

I still feel a few decisions have either been overlooked or incorrectly awarded (the penalty for France vs Australia for example wasn't clear cut IMO, but then I'm not a professional referee, and it WAS reviewed by a panel of them), but in the instances of Sweden's penalty for example, it protected against a gross injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I like it, but I can't see it being widely implemented outside of an international tournament (aside from perhaps the Champions League).

The cost (financial and personnel) of having something like this across all levels of the game would be prohibitive.

I still feel a few decisions have either been overlooked or incorrectly awarded (the penalty for France vs Australia for example wasn't clear cut IMO, but then I'm not a professional referee, and it WAS reviewed by a panel of them), but in the instances of Sweden's penalty for example, it protected against a gross injustice.
    I think it will be operating in the CL and the big (ie. rich) European leagues within a couple of years. I doubt we'll have it in Scotland any time soon.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Really dislike it, and most of the stuff it is used for is still subjective anyway.

Goal line technology is all we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I think it will be operating in the CL and the big (ie. rich) European leagues within a couple of years. I doubt we'll have it in Scotland any time soon.
    A shame.

I wonder how many years Rangers would have been denied trophies if VAR had been in use?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    a wrong wasn't righted last night with the clear push by the swiss gadgy with the equaliser, cheating VAR git Failure :)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/world-cu...l1jmp5xtuxxwn1

"The Miranda moment was very clear. The second play you can interpret but the first one you can't discuss - the people responsible for that must work within fairness. You have to be fair.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Credit where it is due, this World Cup has been hugely successful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Every incident is automatically reviewed.

It's only when there's a clear mistake that the ref is asked to look again.
    What about the swiss guys push last night ,that looked a clear mistake imo

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    It's been more of a success than failure but I still don't like it, still stand by it will make the game too clinical the more it's refined and worked on, grey areas are part of what makes the game, I don't want it black and white

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I like it, although they do seem to be a bit slapdash in whats reviewed or not, im not sure it is.

I know radge said everything is reviewed, but there was a clear penalty in the Argentina game where we all thought it was a dive, apart from the player who was after watching the replay clearly chopped down.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    It's been more of a success than failure but I still don't like it, still stand by it will make the game too clinical the more it's refined and worked on, grey areas are part of what makes the game, I don't want it black and white
    I'm with you on this one.
    Mon the Hibs.

Long over due to have technology.

I still would have officialls looking at video replays make the decisions rather than the ref stopping the game and going across to side of pitch to have a look.

Rugby have it spot on with TMO and football still needs to give the refs microphones so they can explain decisions throughout games.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I despise it. Another step to making it a sanitised sport for the rugby and cricket crowd.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I despise it. Another step to making it a sanitised sport for the rugby and cricket crowd.
    It's about getting more decisions right.

Plus there's a welcome side effect in that it'll make it a lot harder for referees to be accused of cheating.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

As a fan of both football and rugby I can tell you that Rugby games are far better officiated than football games.

And I'd also ask you to not be so patronising towards fans of other sports, we're all Hibees on here (well most of us!).

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    As a fan of both football and rugby I can tell you that Rugby games are far better officiated than football games.

And I'd also ask you to not be so patronising towards fans of other sports, we're all Hibees on here (well most of us!).
    Well, if people like their sport lacking controversy then fair enough.

Nothing better than the debates of was it or was it not a goal/penalty/red card that comes from human decisions in the heat of the moment.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Well, if people like their sport lacking controversy then fair enough.

Nothing better than the debates of was it or was it not a goal/penalty/red card that comes from human decisions in the heat of the moment.
    See the last rugby world cup for controversy. Our own country was involved. I appreciate your point of view but for me a fair result with fair decisions is more important than whether or not I can have a discussion in the pub

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Clearly can't help inconsistent refereeing.

Testimonial Due
    Video review has been a tremendous benefit to all sports used, but there is usually a time period of ironing out the wrinkles, and fans getting used to it.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Before the World Cup started, I was totally against VAR due to all the dubious decisions being made in the FA Cup. Having said that, it’s been a very good addition to this World Cup. 1-2 small grey areas still need to be worked upon but it’s been more a success than a failure during this World Cup so far.

Coaching Staff
    Experienced VAR for half a season here in Oz.

My summation

Will it REDUCE wrong decisions.........Yes
    Will it result in No wrong decisions.......No
    Will wrong decisions be given AFTER viewing the VAR.....Yes
    Will it affect the natural ‘flow’ of the game.......Yes
    Will there be times that the VAR is NOT used when most think it should....Yes

Humans are involved, mistakes will continue to be made......VAR will reduce that, but not eliminate wrong decisions....and I guess the question is.......is the stop/start nature of the technology worth the outcome?

I’m still undecided after several months.....

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I’m all for it. Anything to get more decisions right. Folk saying it ends debate - couldn’t disagree more. There will be plenty of debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I’m all for it. Anything to get more decisions right. Folk saying it ends debate - couldn’t disagree more. There will be plenty of debate.

Hopefully referees WILL be able to end debate about their decisions.....it’s a game of fitba where one team is trying to beat the other at fitba.......debate only arises through decisions that are not clear.

We lost the game, but won the debate....😟

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Hopefully referees WILL be able to end debate about their decisions.....it’s a game of fitba where one team is trying to beat the other at fitba.......debate only arises through decisions that are not clear.

We lost the game, but won the debate....
    I don’t just mean around refs decisions. We’ll still have plenty to debate. I’m also not too worried that all of a sudden 100% of decisions will be correct. It still comes down to opinion. But as long as it improves, and helps get the glaring ones right, I’m behind it.
    They do need to get more consistent at calling reviews tho. Kane got dragged to the ground last night - was a stonewaller.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Goal line technology is enough for me. Last night showed that VAR still doesn't guarantee the correct decisions will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Goal line technology is enough for me. Last night showed that VAR still doesn't guarantee the correct decisions will be made.
    For me it’s about the certainties, goal line, offside, in or out the box etc, the referee still referees the game himself, and can check over the black and white decisions, handballs, fouls etc are all down to interpretation.

Are people really arguing that because it only helps to get some of the difficult decisions right, not all of them, it shouldn't be used at all?

The system, and the way it's used, is in its infancy. It will be tweaked and it will improve.

Some decisions will still be controversial because a human being is interpreting the images, but if it helps get more decisions right, then I'm all for it.

In any case, we might as well get used to it. It's here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Are people really arguing that because it only helps to get some of the difficult decisions right, not all of them, it shouldn't be used at all?

The system, and the way it's used, is in its infancy. It will be tweaked and it will improve.

Some decisions will still be controversial because a human being is interpreting the images, but if it helps get more decisions right, then I'm all for it.

In any case, we might as well get used to it. It's here to stay.
    On the flipside, why is your argument a justification for using it at all? If using it leads to getting some things right, and some things wrong, how are we any better off than before? The person ultimately making the decisions remains as fallible as ever, as has been shown in this WC.