hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Europe home/away

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but I'm just wondering if it has been confirmed we will play the away leg of our the first as we are seeded?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but I'm just wondering if it has been confirmed we will play the away leg of our the first as we are seeded?

50/50 chance I believe.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    All in the draw, seeds don’t get home get 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    All in the draw, seeds don’t get home get 2nd

?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    ?
    Think you know what I mean😬
    2nd game

Think you know what I mean😬
    2nd game

Seeds and unseeded go in the same pot and its just pot luck if you're drawn at home first. I think thats right ?

Seeds and unseeded go in the same pot and its just pot luck if you're drawn at home first. I think thats right ?
    That’s correct

That’s correct

I think theres more than one pot though to condense the draw, is not kind of regionalised too?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    How do you avoid seeds drawing against each other in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

I guess you don't but theres not two separate pots for seeded and unseeded, otherwise all the seeded would be drawn at home first or second?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    There's 2 pots, seeded and unseeded. One ball is taken from each and dropped in a 3rd pot. The teams are then drawn from the 3rd pot to determine home/away.

It should be noted that the home/away order is not 100% final and may be subject to change if 2 teams from the same city are drawn at home on the same date. This happened to Hearts trip to Tallinn in 2016 and I believe their fixture was reversed.

"HEARTS have announced a second alteration in two days to their Europa League first qualifying round clash with FC Infonet. The Jambos were drawn against the Estonian club yesterday with the second leg initially scheduled to take place at Tynecastle. However, UEFA then told the Edinburgh club that they would play the first leg at home and the return in Tallinn due to a fixture clash in the Estonian capital. Hearts have now announced that the away match has been moved forward 24 hours to Wednesday July 6." - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...r_second_time/
    Last edited by CapitalGreen; 18-06-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    There's 2 pots, seeded and unseeded. One ball is taken from each and dropped in a 3rd pot. The teams are then drawn from the 3rd pot to determine home/away.

It should be noted that the home/away order is not 100% final and may be subject to change if 2 teams from the same city are drawn at home on the same date. This happened to Hearts trip to Tallinn in 2016 and I believe their fixture was reversed.
    What a mess.

What a farce, they make things more difficult than it has to be.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

"HEARTS have announced a second alteration in two days to their Europa League first qualifying round clash with FC Infonet. The Jambos were drawn against the Estonian club yesterday with the second leg initially scheduled to take place at Tynecastle. However, UEFA then told the Edinburgh club that they would play the first leg at home and the return in Tallinn due to a fixture clash in the Estonian capital. Hearts have now announced that the away match has been moved forward 24 hours to Wednesday July 6." - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...r_second_time/
    I haven't had a good look at the geography but the only cities in respect of which this potentially being an issue this year seems to be Sofia in Bulgaria, Budapest in Hungary, Skopje in Macedonia and Yerevan in Armenia. Unless, of course, smaller teams decided to move the game to the capital to capitalise on a larger travelling support - sides like Narva Trans in Estonia (stadium capacity: 1,065) may well decide to do that I would imagine.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I thought there was 2 pots - one seeded, one unseeded - and they just alternate which pot they draw from first.

Either way, it's not confirmed if we're home and away until, presumably, Wednesday.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I thought there was 2 pots - one seeded, one unseeded - and they just alternate which pot they draw from first.

Either way, it's not confirmed if we're home and away until, presumably, Wednesday.
    You may be right with that actually, I have seen a third pot used in draws before but could be a different competition.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Unless there's been a change in the last 12 months there is no regionalisation at this stage that I can see BTW - I use the precedent of Aberdeen ending up in Bosnia in this round of the tournament last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I haven't had a good look at the geography but the only cities in respect of which this potentially being an issue this year seems to be Sofia in Bulgaria, Budapest in Hungary, Skopje in Macedonia and Yerevan in Armenia. Unless, of course, smaller teams decided to move the game to the capital to capitalise on a larger travelling support - sides like Narva Trans in Estonia (stadium capacity: 1,065) may well decide to do that I would imagine.
    If the draw is regionalised as expected then we wouldn't face anyone from those countries.

Runavik (Faroe Islands) play their Europa League games in Torshavn so there is a potential clash there if B36 Torshavn win their Preliminary Round tie.

Unless there's been a change in the last 12 months there is no regionalisation at this stage that I can see BTW - I use the precedent of Aberdeen ending up in Bosnia in this round of the tournament last year.
    That's the second round.

Aberdeen didnt enter until the 2nd Qualifying round last year.

Both Rangers and St Johnstone played 'Northern' teams in the 1st Qualifying round.

You can see last years 1st round pots here, which are regionalised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...alifying_round

Map here https://hibseuropa.wordpress.com/201...ial-opponents/
    Last edited by andyf5; 18-06-2018 at 10:50 AM.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

Doesn’t look regionalised to me? Looks like Rangers could have drawn a club from Gibraltar, Moldova, Luxembourg, San Marino or Andorra, they ended up with the Luxembourg club. Pretty spread out bunch!!

You may be right with that actually, I have seen a third pot used in draws before but could be a different competition.
    Copied from uefa page-

"First qualifying round (12 & 19 July)

The teams, 87 of whom enter in this round, are ranked according to their coefficient and further split into seeding groups prior to the draw (the seven winners of the preliminary round ties on 28 June and 5 July will take the coefficient of the seeded team from each tie).
    Each side in each seeding group is allocated a number. Balls containing the seeded teams' numbers are placed in one bowl, with balls for the unseeded teams' numbers (within the same sub-group of clubs) in another.
    A ball is taken from each bowl and put into a large empty bowl in the middle, where they are shuffled.
    The clubs whose numbers correspond to the first ball drawn play their first game at home, against the sides whose numbers match the next ball drawn"

Quote Originally Posted by andyf5 View Post
    Copied from uefa page-

"First qualifying round (12 & 19 July)

The teams, 87 of whom enter in this round, are ranked according to their coefficient and further split into seeding groups prior to the draw (the seven winners of the preliminary round ties on 28 June and 5 July will take the coefficient of the seeded team from each tie).
    Each side in each seeding group is allocated a number. Balls containing the seeded teams' numbers are placed in one bowl, with balls for the unseeded teams' numbers (within the same sub-group of clubs) in another.
    A ball is taken from each bowl and put into a large empty bowl in the middle, where they are shuffled.
    The clubs whose numbers correspond to the first ball drawn play their first game at home, against the sides whose numbers match the next ball drawn"
    Ah, so I was correct :)

Ah, so I was correct :)
    And no regionalisation mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Doesn’t look regionalised to me? Looks like Rangers could have drawn a club from Gibraltar, Moldova, Luxembourg, San Marino or Andorra, they ended up with the Luxembourg club. Pretty spread out bunch!!
    As has been highlighted before it is not guaranteed and there is no hard and fast rule to how they do it.

- Of the 40 teams in groups 7-10, only 5 are from outwith the Northern Region.
    - Of the 60 teams in groups 1-6, only 5 are from the Northern region.

As has been highlighted before it is not guaranteed and there is no hard and fast rule to how they do it.

- Of the 40 teams in groups 7-10, only 5 are from outwith the Northern Region.
    - Of the 60 teams in groups 1-6, only 5 are from the Northern region.
    I'm not clear what you mean. There are over 16 teams outside the northern region we could get - Armenia,Georgia, Moldova, Albania etc etc.

Is the 1st/2nd Q Round draw taking place tomorrow?

I agree these draws look regionalised. I contacted UEFA direct and they referred me to the draw rules web page. We find out Wednesday anyway.