hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save Leith Walk

Save Leith Walk

Please take a wee bit of time to find out about this campaign. And if you feel strongly enough about it send an email to the appropriate people.

https://m.facebook.com/saveleithwalk/
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please take a wee bit of time to find out about this campaign. And if you feel strongly enough about it send an email to the appropriate people.

https://m.facebook.com/saveleithwalk/
    I'm not on Facebook- anyone able to paste some of the info?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Drum Property group have submitted an application notice for a huge mixed development at Steads place, Leith Walk.

Their current plan includes the demolition of the red sandstone buildings at 106 – 154 Leith Walk where a number of lively and well loved local businesses currently operate such as Leith Depot, Leiths only dedicated music venue.

So far the following planning details have emerged:

500 Student beds (1, 2, 3 bedrooms flats).

A private hotel of 55 bedrooms.

Only 54 ‘affordable’ homes.

6-7 storey high buildings.

It was abundantly clear from the Leith Central Community Council meeting on the 19/03/18 (attended by around 50 Leithers) that the people of Leith will not tolerate:

More expensive post-graduate student housing.

More hotels.

More elite multi million pound corporate developments.

More ‘cheap’ and ‘hideous’ buildings on Leith Walk.

http://saveleithwalk.org/

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Surely it can only improve it, bring more footfall which is good for local businesses. Coupled with the tram Leith Walk is only going to get better.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Drum Property group have submitted an application notice for a huge mixed development at Steads place, Leith Walk.

Their current plan includes the demolition of the red sandstone buildings at 106 – 154 Leith Walk where a number of lively and well loved local businesses currently operate such as Leith Depot, Leiths only dedicated music venue.

It was abundantly clear from the Leith Central Community Council meeting on the 19/03/18 (attended by around 50 Leithers) that the people of Leith will not tolerate:

More hotels.

What are they proposing instead?

And while I get the fact that maybe more student beds might not be wanted and losing the live music venue would not be ideal I’m defo not getting the love in for the red sandstone row of shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Surely it can only improve it, bring more footfall which is good for local businesses. Coupled with the tram Leith Walk is only going to get better.
    Will there be any local shops left?

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

And while I get the fact that maybe more student beds might not be wanted and losing the live music venue would not be ideal I’m defo not getting the love in for the red sandstone row of shops.
    I'm not sure they have an alternative proposal as such.

It's an overdue reaction from a local community though. Yet another site turned over for student and tourist use when we have a desperate shortage of social and affordable housing in the city. The additional student accomodation being built all over the city is also putting a huge strain on private lets at a later date and driving up the price of those. That's before we even get to the scourge of Air BnB.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

There’s a shop window display opposite the row of shops which gives a bit more info on the history of the buildings.
    I did see an alternative plan posted on Twitter proposing partial development of the site instead which would see the shops retained. I think that’s still being worked on though.
    Last edited by marinello59; 17-06-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

I'm not 100% sure.....sorry, that was me copying and pasting, I should've made that clear

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Why so many student flats in Edinburgh these days? I work near Fountainbridge and there is a new complex opening soon and already a ton in that area. It seems any development these days is student flats, where did they all live before theses ones were built?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

It's an overdue reaction from a local community though. Yet another site turned over for student and tourist use when we have a desperate shortage of social and affordable housing in the city. The additional student accomodation being built all over the city is also putting a huge strain on private lets at a later date and driving up the price of those. That's before we even get to the scourge of Air BnB.
    Absolutely.

Leith Walk already has substantial student accommodations and with buy to let and AirBnB increasing in the traditional tenement housing the transient population is affecting the character of the area.

Leith has a long history of accepting waifs and strays from Royalty to commoners from all corners of the globe but it needs a stable population if it's going to remain a decent place to live and work in.
    Space to let

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post

More hotels.

Thanks.

That sounds pretty major. Hard to comment on whether it will be good or bad without knowing more, but I have to admit I do think the march of endless student flats a bit weird.

These issues are difficult though - development and jobs are a good thing, and we have to be careful not to fetishise some imagined, romanticized view of 'working class culture', but equally not all redevelopments are good.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Why so many student flats in Edinburgh these days? I work near Fountainbridge and there is a new complex opening soon and already a ton in that area. It seems any development these days is student flats, where did they all live before theses ones were built?
    I'm not aware of any of the existing ones closing (maybe kincaids court on grass market?) so I would assume it's uni expansion and taking on more students.

Or are the new ones aimed for non Freshers who would have previously been privately renting around the city in their final 3 years?

It's a fair question, as there seems to have been a lot of new developments since I left uni (only 5 years ago).
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Absolutely.

Leith Walk already has substantial student accommodations and with buy to let and AirBnB increasing in the traditional tenement housing the transient population is affecting the character of the area.

Leith has a long history of accepting waifs and strays from Royalty to commoners from all corners of the globe but it needs a stable population if it's going to remain a decent place to live and work in.
    Yet on the flip side there has been plenty of development in Leith in recent years adding many many flats and the idea of bespoke student accommodation is that the existing housing is no longer rented out to students as it was back in the day. In fact the ongoing development of the tram yards at shrubhill is adding nearly 400 houses / flats alone.

Stopping this one development won’t change any dynamic and am still unsure as to what Leith Walk they are trying to save. Certainly these red sandstone shop fronts have a bit of age but let’s be honest red sandstone is hardly a typical Edinburgh stone and are far from being any sort of architectural masterpiece.

BUT I do get the point that as ever there seems to have been no overall plan for its redevelopment nor that with over a decade of road works (still ongoing and probably more coming) that the street has been brutalised by many many councils so appreciate that the locals may well have finally got fed up. I’m just unclear as to what the larger objective of the campaign is and why after so many large scale developments having already been delivered or underway that they have chosen this particular one to make a stand about.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Not specifically aimed at this development but more at these student accommodation "blocks" in general..... Is thre not a possibility that out with term time these areas could end up like ghost towns?
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Not specifically aimed at this development but more at these student accommodation "blocks" in general..... Is thre not a possibility that out with term time these areas could end up like ghost towns?
    August isn't renowned for being quiet in Edinburgh.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    August isn't renowned for being quiet in Edinburgh.
    Ha Ha! Good point. Well made!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    I was told part of the reason is the builders can cram more in with less parking required.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I was told part of the reason is the builders can cram more in with less parking required.
    Lower building standards all round but don't ask me for details!
    Space to let

I'm not sure I understand this part. Wouldn't greater supply drive down the price of private rents? Am I missing something?

I must say I've never been greatly enamoured of that terrace of single-story red sandstone buildings at the foot of the walk. They always struck me as rather plain, and almost like they are unfinished. Having said when I see what they're building up at Shrub Place and elsewhere in the city I'm all for keeping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this part. Wouldn't greater supply drive down the price of private rents? Am I missing something?

I must say I've never been greatly enamoured of that terrace of single-story red sandstone buildings at the foot of the walk. They always struck me as rather plain, and almost like they are unfinished. Having said when I see what they're building up at Shrub Place and elsewhere in the city I'm all for keeping them.
    Part of the Edinburgh universities admission policy is they guarantee accomodation to 1st years who come from outwith a certain geographic area. In years gone by this limited admissions to those they could house in their own halls of residence and a few other owned properties.

In recent years the unis have been block booking rooms in the new student developments and 'sub letting' them to 1st years thus allowing them to admit an increased number of applicants. The issue arises when 2nd, 3rd and 4th years are looking for accomodation the availability in these student blocks is reduced as many of the rooms are let directly to the universities. That in turn leaves many of said increased number of students looking for alternative accomodation which inevitably results in them looking to the private let market.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Part of the Edinburgh universities admission policy is they guarantee accomodation to 1st years who come from outwith a certain geographic area. In years gone by this limited admissions to those they could house in their own halls of residence and a few other owned properties.

In recent years the unis have been block booking rooms in the new student developments and 'sub letting' them to 1st years thus allowing them to admit an increased number of applicants. The issue arises when 2nd, 3rd and 4th years are looking for accomodation the availability in these student blocks is reduced as many of the rooms are let directly to the universities. That in turn leaves many of said increased number of students looking for alternative accomodation which inevitably results in them looking to the private let market.
    I get you. Thanks.

Scrap the tram. That would help save Leith Walk.

Build the tram. That would save Leith Walk.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Really depends on your perspective. If you want affordable housing in tge area you grew up in, you might not agree. Peoole live in the area and the council should be protecting communities instead of zooming up to business.

The top end of the walk has already seen sweeping gentrification that makes people who have lived there for years feel like strangers.

As for the tram, it will decimate bus services. Make no mistake, if changes are being made they are not so people who have invested their lives in the city can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Really depends on your perspective. If you want affordable housing in tge area you grew up in, you might not agree. Peoole live in the area and the council should be protecting communities instead of zooming up to business.

The top end of the walk has already seen sweeping gentrification that makes people who have lived there for years feel like strangers.

As for the tram, it will decimate bus services. Make no mistake, if changes are being made they are not so people who have invested their lives in the city can benefit.
    We hear a lot about Leith loosing it character etc and I am not so sure I understand what aspect people would like to hold onto. I got shot down on another thread for saying Leith was 'full of jakeys' etc, which on refection could have been worded better so I hve been sting awayfrom the subject, but as someone who spends a lot of time in Leith, I am confused by what changes 'Leithers' are afraid of. You mention feeling like a stranger by the 'improvements', can you explain what changes make you feel this way, and how do we improve the community without alienating some of the more longstanding members of the community?

For example Port of Leith just won an award for the regeneration of the Leith Fort. https://www.indigopr.com/newsroom/le...e-rias-awards/

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    We hear a lot about Leith loosing it character etc and I am not so sure I understand what aspect people would like to hold onto. I got shot down on another thread for saying Leith was 'full of jakeys' etc, which on refection could have been worded better so I hve been sting awayfrom the subject, but as someone who spends a lot of time in Leith, I am confused by what changes 'Leithers' are afraid of. You mention feeling like a stranger by the 'improvements', can you explain what changes make you feel this way, and how do we improve the community without alienating some of the more longstanding members of the community?

For example Port of Leith just won an award for the regeneration of the Leith Fort. https://www.indigopr.com/newsroom/le...e-rias-awards/
    I'm the classic hypocrite, as I have been into pubs I have never been into before, since gentrification.

I believe that the area should be improved for the people who live there, but that handing it over to private developers leaves them out. That alters the socio - economic mix, and makes the "indigenous" people in the minority. They lose control over an area that was once theirs.

I spoke about the changes at the top of the walk. The main thing is the change in pace, and the number of strangers who come in go from the area. It's the feeling of being squeezed out, on the back of tourism.

Again, I am the classic hypocrite, because I visit other cities. That said, I notice the same things are happening there as are happening here, neighbourhoods I used to visit to get a feel for the true city, are disappearing.

I accept that as we get older, we are less likely to embrace change, but the pace of change over the past 10 years for the entire city has been almost like an ethnic cleansing.

By the way, try getting one of the mid market rent flats that are supposed to be released, and you'll be lucky. Too much development is going towards student accommodation.

All of this lives the city poorer, as a large transient population has no real stake in its future, and is not looking for a return on a lifetime's investment. We become spectators at other people's parties.

Good points Chic, well said.

I'm thinking Leith could turn into what's become of Edinburghs Hogmany. It's ended up being nothing to do with Edinburgh or Hogmany! Thousands of tourists standing around after the Bells wondering what to do next, doing nothing and going back to their hotels at 00:15. The city centre becomes a wasteland just as the locals are heading oot tae first foot!

Too many tourists have taken over, I think I heard the other week local folk make up only 17% of those attending. It's ended up with no famous party and the organisers are desperate to re-engage with the locals.

We could end up with no 'Leithers' in Leith.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    I'm the classic hypocrite, as I have been into pubs I have never been into before, since gentrification.

I believe that the area should be improved for the people who live there, but that handing it over to private developers leaves them out. That alters the socio - economic mix, and makes the "indigenous" people in the minority. They lose control over an area that was once theirs.

I spoke about the changes at the top of the walk. The main thing is the change in pace, and the number of strangers who come in go from the area. It's the feeling of being squeezed out, on the back of tourism.

Again, I am the classic hypocrite, because I visit other cities. That said, I notice the same things are happening there as are happening here, neighbourhoods I used to visit to get a feel for the true city, are disappearing.

I accept that as we get older, we are less likely to embrace change, but the pace of change over the past 10 years for the entire city has been almost like an ethnic cleansing.

By the way, try getting one of the mid market rent flats that are supposed to be released, and you'll be lucky. Too much development is going towards student accommodation.

All of this lives the city poorer, as a large transient population has no real stake in its future, and is not looking for a return on a lifetime's investment. We become spectators at other people's parties.

Thanks for your reply. Some good points.

If you would like to voice your concerns to someone you should check out the link below. Whether they will listen is another matter☺

https://leithcentralcc.co.uk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Some good points.

If you would like to voice your concerns to someone you should check out the link below. Whether they will listen is another matter☺

https://leithcentralcc.co.uk
    I'm afraid it was all decided long ago. This hasn''t happened by accident in cities all around the world.

It may be inevitable, but at least they are putting up a protest in Leith, we may not be able to stop it, but at least we can say we fought.

Similair reactionary groups are growing up in Barcelona, Amsterdam and Palma Majorca, to name but three.

Councils are saying enough is enough, and we need this land or area for our own people.