hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Somebody desperately wants that site for student flats...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody desperately wants that site for student flats...
    I don’t think Glasgow’s short of potential development land.

I'm surprised there doesn't appear to have been any overnight/weekend security presence in place for a restoration project of this scale and sensitivity. I read that the blaze was spotted by a passing policeman.

My guess is that the exterior walls (which appear to be all that's left) will be in dubious structural condition after such an inferno and that the whole thing will have to be demolished.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm happy to be corrected here, but I'm quite sure the building wasn't housing any students/faculty etc this time around? It's been empty while renovations have been ongoing to get it open again, with the GSA students being housed elsewhere for now.

That was certainly the case when I last checked (which was over a year ago, granted).
    Fair point and you are probably correct. This second blaze will extend the loss of the GSA teaching facilities for another long period and could conceivably result in the loss of this site as a working college. I wonder if they might consider a new college of art at another site in or around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I'm surprised there doesn't appear to have been any overnight/weekend security presence in place for a restoration project of this scale and sensitivity. I read that the blaze was spotted by a passing policeman.

My guess is that the exterior walls (which appear to be all that's left) will be in dubious structural condition after such an inferno and that the whole thing will have to be demolished.
    The contractor is usually responsible for site security.

Sell the site and use the money to fund Scots art students and projects.

We've got more than enough Rennie Mac artifacts in the country as it is.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I read that in trying to recreate the old library they sourced wood of similar age to the original to carry out the restoration.

Maybe it isn't such a great idea to have loads of old, dry wood in a building these days?

It seems a bit of a coincidence that it has burnt down in such spectacular fashion twice.

It really is a shame when this kind of thing happens, it was sad to see much of the damage that ISIS have done to historical sites in Syria and Iraq.

At least here there has been no injury or loss of life.

There's a bit of me has always quite admired that Germanic practicality that knocks stuff down when it becomes impractical, they don't get too sentimental about the past, mainly because I'm a bit of an arty softy who gets quite attached to old buildings etc and I get quite upset when they are lost (for whatever reason).
    Or like the Japanese who just rip things down when they age and rebuild it new if it was popular.

@hibs.net private member IWasThere2016's Avatar
    Pics on FB - possibly fake news - showing O2 alight first and suggesting fire started there and spread..

My mate is FD at GSOA .. understandably he's been busy and not in touch since Saturday am!

@hibs.net private member Captain Trips's Avatar
    I find it strange such fires so close together at same venue but I am a suspicious type.
    If I choose to revert back to Carlsberg it will have to be The Carlsberg

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IngolstadtHarry View Post
    I think that that is one of the aspects which made the GSA even more special - it was a living work of art, a functioning art school within a work of art. During the last blaze, many students lost their final year projects - this fire will be no different. Clearly, the art school building will have to be replaced. Whether there is anything other than the facade worth preserving is very doubtful.
    Even among the Mackintosh followers there are differing opinions about restoration and rebuilding. After the 2014 fire there were some who said that the building shouldn't be restored and they used the expression 'Mockintosh' to criticise such efforts. On the other hand, anyone who has seen the rebuilt Dresden Cathedral couldn't fail to be impressed with what is possible these days.
    The rebuild job in Dresden has been fantastic, but took a long time. They were still at it when i first visited the city in 2001.

Horrible to see what has happened to the art school and abc in Glasgow - both fantastic venues.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I find it strange such fires so close together at same venue but I am a suspicious type.
    The insurers will probably be thinking the same.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Left by mutual consent!
    To lose your school of art once is unfortunate, to lose it twice is Glaswegian.