• Beckenbauer

0 0%
  • Di Stefano

3 1.38%
  • Someone not listed above

12 5.50%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    @hibs.net private member
    Messi is the best player to ever kick a football, pure and simple, there isn’t even a discussion to be had on the matter.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I reckon Isco is as good as Ronnie or Messi.

Poll is void. No George Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    exactly

can I change my vote (which was irrelevant). just watched the best 10 for Messi. Messi it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    exactly
    Why is it void? There's the "someone not included above". So far, there are many more people voting Messi or Ronaldo than "someone not included above".

As I stated in the OP, there are many other contenders. To have included Best would have led to many more examples of "what about...............". The list is endless.

I took my list from the top 12 or so players that were listed in a website. The last time I checked, Best was rated 15th.

As the poll is highlighting, there are probably only four or five players that are generally regarded to be the "greatest ever" and George Best is not one of them.

Original Ronaldo for me. Pace, power and skill. He's the closest i've seen to unplayable. I remember teams in Italy having 3 men man marking him. He was to football what Usain Bolt is to sprinting. A once in a generation phenomenon. Injuries probably prevented him being the stand out against the rest on the list.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 22-06-2018 at 07:04 AM.

The pole is guff without Paul Hanlon. But Messi is 2nd best footballer of my generation

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Why is it void? There's the "someone not included above". So far, there are many more people voting Messi or Ronaldo than "someone not included above".

As I stated in the OP, there are many other contenders. To have included Best would have led to many more examples of "what about...............". The list is endless.

I took my list from the top 12 or so players that were listed in a website. The last time I checked, Best was rated 15th.

As the poll is highlighting, there are probably only four or five players that are generally regarded to be the "greatest ever" and George Best is not one of them.
    i remember on my travels in Argentina 10 years ago speaking to people about football, after all the Maradona vs pele stuff from them I threw Best’s name into the mix. Not one of them had heard of him. And to be honest, why would they. For them he was someone who played 40 years earlier in a league the other side of the world and never graced a World Cup.

What does this prove? For me, not much. As we saw last night, and many times before, Messi’s genius can’t inspire an insipid Argentina team and Maradona couldn’t have got that Northern Ireland team to the World Cup. How the whole ‘never played at a World Cup’ argument is even given credibility given the hundreds of nobodies who have graced that tournament over the years is beyond me. If norn iron had made it to England in ‘66 or Mexico 70 and been knocked out in the first round would that have made best eligible for this list?

regardless, those lucky enough to see him play in his prime know they witnessed something special. I don’t know about greatest footballer ever, as how can you even compare great goal scorers and playmakers with great defenders. But there can’t have been many more naturally talented than Best.

Calm doon, it was a wee joke. However... Best was the best.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I always think when people discuss the current best players and include only Messi and Ronaldo the one player who can feel most aggrieved to be missed out of the discussion is Iniesta.

He's done it domestically, done it in Europe, done it internationally. He should have won at least one Balon d'or. He's about as close to a complete midfielder as I've seen. He turns up in the big games; scored the winner and was man of the match in the WC final, man of the match in the Euros final. He has a habit of popping up with big goals at the right time. I think much like Paul Scholes a generation before him he suffers from not being as glamorous or marketable as his peers.

He's a joy to watch and is one of those players who seems to create time and space for himself and controls the pace of the game to suit himself and his team. He's a player who would sit with the greats of any generation and, whilst obviously different, is right up there with Messi and Ronaldo.
    Quite. He's an utter genius and makes Messi tick at Barcelona - something missing from the abject Argentina performace at the world cup (but not surprising given their qualifying form).

I once spent an entire half just watching Iniesta and he gave away the ball once and every pass was helpful his Spanish colleague. He's slated to pay 60/70 mins at this world cup so enjoy him while he lasts.

Oh and by the way he has scored the winning goal in a world cup final. (Unlike Messi or the child Renaldo).

So, do we still think Messi and Ronaldo are the greatest ever footballer?

Robin Friday

So, do we still think Messi and Ronaldo are the greatest ever footballer?
    They are the best because of what they have already achieved, nothing that happens from here will change that.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    They are the best because of what they have already achieved, nothing that happens from here will change that.
    Other than they're not as great as Pele, I agree.