0 0%
  • Di Stefano

3 1.38%
  • Someone not listed above

12 5.50%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Zidane for me. Remember watching him in 1998 and being amazed at how good he was on the ball.
    Zidane deserves more credit, not only amongst the best when playing but performed well in management, winning 3 CL trophies in a row. Zidane has proved himself in every possible way, winning leagues, world cups and numerous cup competitions. Has to be up there when talking about the GOAT.

2. Log in to remove the advert

For me it’s only between Messi and Ronaldo as I never got to see Pele, Maradona And others play.

Although watching videos etc the standard was completely different back then and nowhere near the quality it is today.

Messi is more of likeable player and I think that plays massively in his favour as a lot of people seem to take a real disliking to Ronaldo as they think he is a poser, arrogant and much more.

They’re both tremendous players who continuously outdo each other and we are lucky to see them play in the same era.

God knows who will take the title of being the best once they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    For me it’s only between Messi and Ronaldo as I never got to see Pele, Maradona And others play.

Although watching videos etc the standard was completely different back then and nowhere near the quality it is today.

Messi is more of likeable player and I think that plays massively in his favour as a lot of people seem to take a real disliking to Ronaldo as they think he is a poser, arrogant and much more.

They’re both tremendous players who continuously outdo each other and we are lucky to see them play in the same era.

You havent watched the 1970 World Cup Final then? Or the '78 final?
    Quality was abound back then. Too many names to mention.
    Never mind Brazil or Argentina, who won those finals i list
    European clubs had many "world class" players in the 70s
    A who's who of quality players.indeed.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-06-2018 at 11:57 AM.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    get Marco Van Basten included, a total footballer from the Dutch total football era even though his career was sadly cut very short after injury
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 17-06-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

If you don’t mind me saying so I think you are confusing the level of fitness today with the level of performance.

For me the only debate to be had is who's the best of an era. Football changes from era to era never mind from when pele played to when messi played.

Football was barely available to watch "back in the day" so how comparisons can be made baffles me tbh

In this modern era, lionel Messi is the most naturally gifted out of the 2 greats we're watching although the constant dick measuring to compare the 2 is so ****ing boring imo. Loving watching both of them play.

My favourite player I've seen though, is Zinedine Zidane

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    For me the only debate to be had is who's the best of an era. Football changes from era to era never mind from when pele played to when messi played.

Football was barely available to watch "back in the day" so how comparisons can be made baffles me tbh

In this modern era, lionel Messi is the most naturally gifted out of the 2 greats we're watching although the constant dick measuring to compare the 2 is so ****ing boring imo. Loving watching both of them play.

My favourite player I've seen though, is Zinedine Zidane
    I guess some of us older guys who saw the 60s and 70s teams/players would be thinking the same.
    Its no possible for younger fans to be able to compare today with yester year.

Apart from the obvious of watching The Tornadoes early 70s, I think that decade was brilliant.
    Watching World stars on TV was becoming more common by then.... and in colour !
    Scotland qualified for 2 World Cups in the 70s.
    1974 side was possibly our best squad.
    A great decade for football,and so many class footballers.
    And Scotland clearly had a world class footballer in King Kenny.

Sorry!... Sir King Kenny;-)
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 17-06-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    You havent watched the 1970 World Cup Final then? Or the '78 final?
    Quality was abound back then. Too many names to mention.
    Never mind Brazil or Argentina, who won those finals i list
    European clubs had many "world class" players in the 70s
    A who's who of quality players.indeed.
    Pele's at 18 in 58 final. Eusebio for club an country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    I guess some of us older guys who saw the 60s and 70s teams/players would be thinking the same.
    Its no possible for younger fans to be able to compare today with yester year.

Apart from the obvious of watching The Tornadoes early 70s, I think that decade was brilliant.
    Watching World stars on TV was becoming more common by then.... and in colour !
    Scotland qualified for 2 World Cups in the 70s.
    1974 side was possibly our best squad.
    A great decade for football,and so many class footballers.
    And Scotland clearly had a world class footballer in King Kenny.

Sorry!... Sir King Kenny;-)
    You’re right .1974 was the best squad and performances although I’ve always thought Willie Ormond made a mistake in not bringing on Ford against Zaire.

@hibs.net private member
    Benny Brazil

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by guthrie01 View Post
    Zidane deserves more credit, not only amongst the best when playing but performed well in management, winning 3 CL trophies in a row. Zidane has proved himself in every possible way, winning leagues, world cups and numerous cup competitions. Has to be up there when talking about the GOAT.
    Things may have went pear shaped at FIFA for him but another French player and definately a great was Platini. Made it look effortless.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Pele. 3 WC winners medals and targeted in the other 2 intervening competitions when two footed tackles to the haw maws was seen as worthy of a wagging finger. Maradona comes close. Cruyff threw the toys out the pram despite having superb talent. Best came from the wrong country. The argument is usually whether the old gods could play today. Definitely. Today's players could not compete back then as what makes them great today would have been kicked out of them.... All IMHO

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Pele. 3 WC winners medals and targeted in the other 2 intervening competitions when two footed tackles to the haw maws was seen as worthy of a wagging finger. Maradona comes close. Cruyff threw the toys out the pram despite having superb talent. Best came from the wrong country. The argument is usually whether the old gods could play today. Definitely. Today's players could not compete back then as what makes them great today would have been kicked out of them.... All IMHO

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    That's correct Maradona etc got a kicking. Today they would totally be up there with Messi and Ronaldo.

Find it amazing so many people try to claim Messi and other stars couldn’t be effective decades ago just because what is deemed an acceptable challenge has changed over the years.

They play according to how the games are played these days. I’m sure they would adapt if the rules were suddenly different again.

Defenders struggle to get close enough to Messi to kick him. This wouldn’t change regardless of the rules. The man is an unbelievable talent.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Not a trick question, but what has George Best achieved to be on a list of the top 11 players of all time. Not denying he was a great player, one of the best from the British Isles, but the greatest male footballer of all time? To be included in the list of greatest players of all time, I think you've got to do it at the World Cup or Euros latter stages, which George Best never did. Yes, he wasn't playing in a great team, but there are enough examples of nations that became great teams on the back of just one superstar (e.g. Hagi at Romania)

Question as per George Best

Eusebio - good shout and I did consider including him and Puskas. Both from a generation well before my time.
    I hate the “has to win a World Cup” or similar arguments. Basically you’re saying Best can’t be considered because he was Northern Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Find it amazing so many people try to claim Messi and other stars couldn’t be effective decades ago just because what is deemed an acceptable challenge has changed over the years.

They play according to how the games are played these days. I’m sure they would adapt if the rules were suddenly different again.

Defenders struggle to get close enough to Messi to kick him. This wouldn’t change regardless of the rules. The man is an unbelievable talent.
    No one is saying he wouldnt be effective but Pele and Maradonr were both literally kicked out of tournaments where they were unable to play any further part. Messi does not have to deal with that environment so it has to be part of the 'discussion'.

Really surprised with the lack of votes for Zidane and Ronaldinho.

Zidane for me is the best player iv seen. For me he was the complete player.

and Ronaldinho made football look so easy... just a shame after success at barca he just didnt fancy it anymore.

Trust me, if you could get away with the same types of challenges as back then, then Messi would be kicked just like the rest. Maradona had all the skill of Messi and was quick. But not much you can do when people are out to injure you. Different being Maradona was built like a tank, so although he did get bad injuries, he was able to cope with more than most. Messi would struggle back then with his current physique.

I always think of who was the most unplayable at their peak.

sure messi and ronaldo have most likely done it at the highest level/stayed fit for a long time,
    the modern player is different. messi for sure was born with the greater gifts.

But for me, its Maradona, play him in any team, in any generation, he will be a star,
    He made very good teams, the best on the planet. argentina/napoli

the other Id have to say, is brazilian ronaldo, watching him in his first 5-6 years
    was indeed phenomenal there has not been another all out striker with that amount of natural talent iever,, for me.

CR, whilst making himself the best in the world, was not born with the same talent as others,credit to him, but i cant say
    he is better than the other ronaldo, who if fit for 12-14 years would have had a scary career, considering his inuries, he still has some records to his name,!
    WC all time scorer
    Last edited by Gibby the Hibby; 18-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Jackie Mac Namara (Snr)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    No one is saying he wouldnt be effective but Pele and Maradonr were both literally kicked out of tournaments where they were unable to play any further part. Messi does not have to deal with that environment so it has to be part of the 'discussion'.

I am a messi fan. but this is a fairpoint, If messi cannot be successful with the argentina team of now, then him playing in place of maradona in the 86 team... that argentina team is not improving, its declining and likely not winning the world cup, thats teh difference between the 2 for me,

Messi doesnt score that goal against england. infact.. neither, of the goals, as he wouldnt handball it either ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby the Hibby View Post
    I am a messi fan. but this is a fairpoint, If messi cannot be successful with the argentina team of now, then him playing in place of maradona in the 86 team... that argentina team is not improving, its declining and likely not winning the world cup, thats teh difference between the 2 for me,

Messi doesnt score that goal against england. infact.. neither, of the goals, as he wouldnt handball it either ;)
    You could even argue that what Maradona achieved at Napoli was even more impressive. To win 2 Seria A (and several cups and a UEFA Cup) when it was the best league in the World was incredible. Especially when you consider he was up against the great Milan team with Baresi, Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten etc. Would Messi be able to go to Bournemouth and have similar success. I seriously doubt it. And i think Messi is an incredible player, just that Maradona had a bigger influence in his prime.

Testimonial Due
    I've voted for Ronaldo, as the likes of Pele had a great team round him! With Ronaldo, he makes the others around him play better than they probibly would for Portugal.
    When he played for Man Utd, he was outstanding, and they have missed him ever since he left.
    Arriving at Real Madrid he has set record after record and at 33 still has as much influence in games as when he first started.
    Everyone thought we would never see another Pele, yet years later in a much faster game Ronaldo just beggars belief on a football park.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    They are. “Wouldn’t compete” suggests that. That’s why I replied.

I accept the maradona argument, the footage I’ve seen of him is utterly brilliant as well. I just don’t accept the assumption that Messi couldn’t have handled the physical game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Trust me, if you could get away with the same types of challenges as back then, then Messi would be kicked just like the rest. Maradona had all the skill of Messi and was quick. But not much you can do when people are out to injure you. Different being Maradona was built like a tank, so although he did get bad injuries, he was able to cope with more than most. Messi would struggle back then with his current physique.
    Trust me, Messi wouldn’t “struggle” in any era. There are a number of great players over the years who weren’t well-built.

Maradona could handle himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akmutjMTuq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP3u2nDEcPA

Trust me, Messi wouldn’t “struggle” in any era. There are a number of great players over the years who weren’t well-built.
    A player of his talent would be a major marked man. And he would be kicked all over the park. If you think he could handle that then fair enough, I personally have my doubts

A player of his talent would be a major marked man. And he would be kicked all over the park. If you think he could handle that then fair enough, I personally have my doubts
    You could also argue that the fitness levels and overall athleticism of modern day players are light years ahead of when Maradona played. Would Maradona have had the dedication and fitness levels required to play at the same level Messi does in the modern game?

I hate the “has to win a World Cup” or similar arguments. Basically you’re saying Best can’t be considered because he was Northern Irish.
    I didn't say "win a World Cup". All I'm saying, in my view, is to be considered as being the greatest footballer of all time, you have to do it against the best players and do it when it's important to do so - in the latter stages of the big tournaments. Scoring six goals against Northampton Town is not the same.

Gareth Bale has turned a mediocre Welsh side into a team that was challenging for a Euro final place. He's also won the Champions League four times. He's as much deserving of a place on the list as George Best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Best wasn't a 'great'. But to have included him, would have brought into the equation many other's who are just as deserving as George Best.

Anyone who doubts the sheer class and ability of George Best clearly did not see him play.
    I note he is not on the list, neither are Eusebio or Puskas.
    There have been so many "great" players in my lifetime.
    Choosing one is not easy.

George would have "walked" into any International team on the planet.

And he would have been a sensation at a World Cup Finals. (if he wasn't kicked off the park,as Eusebio was in 1966)

Along with Pele and Eusebio,George was the finest player i saw in the 60s ....................

...........apart from Willie Hamilton!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 19-06-2018 at 07:13 AM.