14 6.42%
  • Beckenbauer

0 0%
  • Di Stefano

3 1.38%
  • Someone not listed above

12 5.50%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Imagine Pele in todays limited contact game. All records would be broken.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Greatest!

Always very subjective, but in my humble Pele is the most complete football player I have seen in way over 50 years of watching the game. Best I ever seen playing in a game that I was at would have to be Maradona.
    The 2 tax dodgers of todays game are both fantastic players and we are lucky to be able to be entertained by them.

Eusebio.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maradona.
    Went for him too. Pele and Di Stefano are before my time though. These kind of polls are generally skewed towards the recent though. There is no way that the vast majority of the greatest players ever have all played in the last 30 years.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Me then after that Maradona and Garrincha

First Team Regular howdenthehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Not a trick question, but what has George Best achieved to be on a list of the top 11 players of all time. Not denying he was a great player, one of the best from the British Isles, but the greatest male footballer of all time? To be included in the list of greatest players of all time, I think you've got to do it at the World Cup or Euros latter stages, which George Best never did. Yes, he wasn't playing in a great team, but there are enough examples of nations that became great teams on the back of just one superstar (e.g. Hagi at Romania)

Question as per George Best

Eusebio - good shout and I did consider including him and Puskas. Both from a generation well before my time.
    George Best won the European cup with Manchester United mate and was considered to be the best player in the World by none other than Pele himself.

Lionel Messi is the best footballer of all time.

I think people are being caught up in the moment with Ronaldo's free kick last night.

Barcelona don't have anywhere near as cohesive a side as Real Madrid these days yet Messi still drags Barca to league titles which for me is a bigger achievement than Ronaldo playing in a Champions League winning side.

George Best for me. Pele though so too.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Pele for me every time. His performances in the 1970 WC in Mexico as part of that legendary Brazilian team were outstanding and probably get better with time.

We are particularly lucky to have 2 of the greatest ever in Messi and Ronaldo playing right now. I would also say even that though he is a footballing genius, I just can’t warm to Ronaldo. He comes across as an arrogant bawbag. I doubt he’ll lose any sleep over that though and I’d definitely take him at ER if he ever gets bored at Real Madrid 😉

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    In the interests of gender equality why bother adding greatest male footballer of all time to the question? Surely greatest footballercovers all bases and if anyone wants to argue the case for a woman then fine? It’s all PC gone daft these days

FWIW, Ronaldo and Messi are both awesome footballing machines. Pleased to be able to say that I saw the wee fellae in action live.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey! Where’s Archie Gemmill?

Left by mutual consent!
    "Greatest Male Footballer"

Lol.

Bit of a thread hijack but who do people consider the best Scottish player of all time? Dalglish? Law?

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Bit of a thread hijack but who do people consider the best Scottish player of all time? Dalglish? Law?
    Yea it is a bit of a thread highjack imho, why no start a thread/poll of your own?
    Best to do it by decades to save to many silly results.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    These lists are always weighted in favour of attacking players(unfairly I think)because they do more spectacular things.

True but scoring goals is the hardest and most important aspect of the game. It makes sense.

Between Christino Ronaldo and Maradonna for me.

Messi doesn't produce at international level like those 2.

If you consider Ronaldo is still that good at 33 he edges it for me over Madonna who wasn't having g the same impact and went a bit off the rails.

Honourable mentions to pele and zidane

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Between Christino Ronaldo and Maradonna for me.

Messi doesn't produce at international level like those 2.

If you consider Ronaldo is still that good at 33 he edges it for me over Madonna who wasn't having g the same impact and went a bit off the rails.

Honourable mentions to pele and zidane
    Messi won player of the tournament at the last World Cup and dragged an average Argentina to the final. He’s also scored 64 international goals. How can you possibly claim he doesn’t produce at international level like those two? Ronaldo has won the euros with a team who didn’t even win a game in 90 minutes (I don’t think?) until the final, when he went off injured at 0-0. Fair enough he has the medal, but he hardly set the heather alight. Before last night aswell he’d scored 3 goals in 3 world cups, one in each. Again, hardly that exciting. Messi has also scored nearly double the goals Maradona did and has a games to goals ratio that is miles ahead of Maradonas over a larger amount of games aswel.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 16-06-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Controversial that messi won that award at the last world cup.

Ronaldo is miles ahead in international goals and led Portugal to the euros 2 years ago.

Messi decided to give up at the last copa America and retired!!

I'm not saying Messi doesn't play well at international level. I just feel Ronaldo performs internationally at a higher level.

Controversial that messi won that award at the last world cup.

Ronaldo is miles ahead in international goals and led Portugal to the euros 2 years ago.

Messi decided to give up at the last copa America and retired!!

I'm not saying Messi doesn't play well at international level. I just feel Ronaldo performs internationally at a higher level.
    Ronaldo 'miles ahead' in international goals?

Ronaldo has scored 84 in 151 caps and Messi ha scored 64 in 124 caps. Not bad for someone who's never really played as a centre forward and probably created a barrel load from the number 10 position.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Maradona. Some great players there but Maradona for me.

He's not the best but, where's Matthaus? The guy was brilliant.

1.Messi
    2.Cristiano
    3.Ronaldo
    4.Ronaldinho.

The Ronaldo and Ronaldinho's peak was no where near the other 2 but as far as talent they were right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Ronaldo 'miles ahead' in international goals?

Ronaldo has scored 84 in 151 caps and Messi ha scored 64 in 124 caps. Not bad for someone who's never really played as a centre forward and probably created a barrel load from the number 10 position.
    Didn't realise he didn't have as many caps so ill accept that no problem as similar ratio.

Let's see how Messi gets on this tournament but overall I still think Ronaldo is better. Done it in 2 different leagues too. Doubt Messi will leave Barca so hard to know how he would do outside Spain.

Think we might have to agree to disagree on this one.

Maradona for me. That season at Napoli and the World Cup in '86 were something else. What i would also say is that players from those days had nowhere near the protection that Messi and Ronaldo get. Back then a defender could quite literally mark you out the game. The Italian defender Gentille has the football boots he wore when he put Maradona out the 82 world cup in a glass case on his matlepiece!!

Didn't realise he didn't have as many caps so ill accept that no problem as similar ratio.

Let's see how Messi gets on this tournament but overall I still think Ronaldo is better. Done it in 2 different leagues too. Doubt Messi will leave Barca so hard to know how he would do outside Spain.

Ronaldo is a goalscorer, if that there is no doubt. He plays centre forward now and I can’t honestly say he brings as much else to the team (not that he needs to due to the volume of goals he scores). Messi is a footballer who also happens to score barrowloads of goals. Messi will pop up all over he place making things happen, a magician at times. It’s harder for him as a 10 to play against 10 man defence Iceland as it is for Ronaldo to play as a 9 against a wide open Spain.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    George Best for me. Genius is a much overused word but he certainly was one.

I don't see that his lack of a World Cup Winner's medal is relevant. If he'd been born Brazilian etc. he'd have had more than one of those tucked away.

I think you could be pretty confident that Messi would do great in another league.

He’s bossed a number of English sides during his career, for example.

@hibs.net private member
    Maradona.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Maradona for me. That season at Napoli and the World Cup in '86 were something else. What i would also say is that players from those days had nowhere near the protection that Messi and Ronaldo get. Back then a defender could quite literally mark you out the game. The Italian defender Gentille has the football boots he wore when he put Maradona out the 82 world cup in a glass case on his matlepiece!!

Flip side of that argument is that the game was so much slower and attacking players had a lot more time.

As great and talented player that he was, Best had far too short a career to be considered among the greatest players ever. At the peak of his career he was undoubtedly one of the world's top players, maybe even the greatest at the time. If he had not self destructed at such a young age and been able to continue at the top level well into his 30s as so many do nowadays then I'm sure he would be in the top 10 greatest players ever at the very least. Unfortunately he never realised the limits of what his talents could achieve after winning the European Cup at a young age. That was part of his downfall as he saw that as the most he could ever achieve in the game.