hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 56 of 56

Thread: B*tcher

  1. #31
    Promising Youngster GTMRossaK3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Forfar
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Occasionally a bellend post or a poster will make me think twice about whether I want to be on .net. Yours is the exact opposite. Excellent post and thank you.
    Appreciate your response. Thanks


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Port O Bello
    Age
    59
    Posts
    15,695
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a very proud and loving father and very proud and loving grandfather I offer my sincere sympathy to Terry regarding his loss. These things don't happen overnight but build up over time so maybe, just maybe, he was already having to deal with this horrendous personal issue while he was our manager so we should just maybe assume this was the case given his previous success and consider this when our fans continue their attack on him. On this basis Terry I wish you the very best and success in your new post and hope you can keep happy memories of your son and do him proud in your new challenge. I'm sure he would be proud!
    Very well said mate.

    I knew Terry's son Chris years ago when he was a student and he was playing for Glasgow Tigers American football team, ( uni team ) we linked up with them to give them some coaching and a few including Chris played for the senior team in the British league during the summer. I was shocked when I heard about his tragic loss and I can't imagine how Terry is after his loss, he may not be my favourite manager ever but things like this puts everything into a bit more perspective.

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    28,458
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure where to start. Out his depth from the minute he walked through the door.

    Ever wondered why an ex England captain, household name, never got a 'big job'?

    Dreadful, dreadful manager.


    i would have prefered to judge him as our manager after a season with players he brought in himself, who knows, maybe he would have got us back up after one season

  5. #34
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    33
    Posts
    11,768
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure where to start. Out his depth from the minute he walked through the door.

    Ever wondered why an ex England captain, household name, never got a 'big job'?

    Dreadful, dreadful manager.
    Awful manager and a bully to boot. Total gob*****. If this gets him off our screens then I'm all for it. Once life is discovered on Mars, I'll beam up his CV myself for their national side.

    Absolute welt during his time here. I wish the Phillipines all the best, as god knows they'll need it.

  6. #35
    Testimonial Due SquashedFrogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i would have prefered to judge him as our manager after a season with players he brought in himself, who knows, maybe he would have got us back up after one season
    He had more than enough there to comfortably stay up.

    Feel sick at the thought of players he would bring in...

    Hear your point though. Just not for me
    Last edited by SquashedFrogg; 14-06-2018 at 08:28 PM.

  7. #36
    Testimonial Due SquashedFrogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empathy?
    Footballing opinion. Not personal I'm guessing

  8. #37
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Antwerp
    Posts
    8,051
    Terrance Ian "terry" t.i.t.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Age
    34
    Posts
    702
    He's finally found his level

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,721
    Terry Who?

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    21,074
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He had more than enough there to comfortably stay up.

    Feel sick at the thought of players he would bring in...

    Hear your point though. Just not for me
    He did have enough to stay up, once the nastiness started from some players though he never had a chance, as has been said before, he wasn't sending the team out to get beat, the night up in Ross County that night him and Malpas done a great job getting the players up for the game in the build up and looked like they would come flying out the traps, looked like they were wearing cement boots when they came out to start the game, for me, coaching staff and players let the fans down.

  12. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Named new manager of the Philippines national side...
    Oh no I live there and my wife is Filipino. I must warn the President. He normally has criminals shot.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,783
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Time to move on from Butcher! He did fine with ICT but just never worked out for us. Managed a soft group of players the total wrong way. But in an adverse sort of way the times experienced under him gave us a shot in the arm which has led to the good times of the present day.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Great summation, GRA. No need to say any more.

  14. #43
    With Butcher and malpas we were unfortunately subjected to the "Peter Principle" which is people are promoted to their level of incompetence

    They were prety successful at ICT but out of their depth at Hibs.

    I don't believe they did anything deliberatly to hinder Hibs, they were just in the wrong position at that time. We've all seen it at work, someone gets promoted or some new hot shot comes in and just makes a total b#lls up of everything.

    For me Malpas was the one who did the most damage, not Butcher. in the current environment of openess in football and people being encouraged to come forward with details of unacceptable behaviour, it wouldn't surprise me if Malpas' name pops up at some point.

    Given all the turmoil and torture Butcher has had to endure in his personal life I wish him all the best in his new endeavours.

  15. #44
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,212
    Time to forget and move on I think.

    We’ve all said our piece - his appointment was a disaster, and his failure to accept responsibility and resign was galling, although he’s far from alone in this.

    I’m sure TB doesn’t want to be reminded of his time at Hibs, and neither do I! I’d much prefer him to be working in the Philippines because he won’t be doing so much media work.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,586
    Couldn't care less about the man anymore to be quite honest with you. He's reign was an extremely dark era in this clubs history, we have come a hell of a long way since then. Having clowns like him in the past I guess just makes you more grateful for what we have now. Lennon is 100000x the manger Butcher ever will be.
    Sir David Gray


  17. #46
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    32,531
    I wouldn't wish what he's gone through with his son on anyone and for that he has my sincerest condolences.

    However that does not get away from the fact that he presided over one of the worst Hibs teams in living memory and played a huge part in relegating us.

    People can talk about how relegation reinvigorated us and got us back to a position of strength but it should never have been allowed to happen in the first place and a lot of that blame lies at Terry Butcher's door.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  18. #47
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,314
    The loss of his son was indeed tragic, and nobody could feel anything but sadness and sympathy for him in regard to this.

    He was not though, a great, or even good manager who suddenly turned into a failure at Easter Road.

    He was a failure years ago when Sydney FC sacked him, and rumours of ‘neandethal’ training methods were aired in Oz in the media.

    The players allegedly even took to organising training sessions on their days off to counter what they saw as inadequate preparation.

    He may have done ok at Easter Road, but the warning signs were there long before he came to Easter Road.

    I bear no personal grudge to Butcher, who mutual acquaintances consider a fine fellow, but I am glad he is nowhere near Easter Road, and his contribution to our relegation cannot be airbrushed from history.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't wish what he's gone through with his son on anyone and for that he has my sincerest condolences.

    However that does not get away from the fact that he presided over one of the worst Hibs teams in living memory and played a huge part in relegating us.

    People can talk about how relegation reinvigorated us and got us back to a position of strength but it should never have been allowed to happen in the first place and a lot of that blame lies at Terry Butcher's door.
    A lot of the blame does of course lie with Butcher, your right, from about January onwards under him we just plumitted into free fall. His management skills leave a hell of a lot to be desired. Telling players they weren't good enough and will be shipped out the moment the season ends - what player is gonna want to try for him after that?! If my manager came to me and basically told me I was ***** at my job and I'm out on my ear at the first opportunity I certainly wouldn't be giving my best work for them. At a time when we were struggling he should have been rallying everyone together, getting the heads up but instead he and his horrible wee sidekick Malpas sucked every bit of morale out the dressing room. There was no fight, no spirit, the manger had told most of them he didn't rate them so relegation was always gonna be the outcome when you're working for a group of players that have lost all motivation.

    I'll never forgive Butcher for that, HOWEVER, lets be honest here, relegation had been a long time in the making. Too many years just trundling along, accepting mid table pish, accepting lower league journeymen as our regular signings, accepting losing on a fairly regular basis to our city rivals etc etc. The only direction we were heading was down. If it hadn't been for Griffiths and his goals the season before we probably would have went down then. Butcher was the final nail in the coffin and finally sealed our fate but there are countless others that contributed to us getting into the mess we did
    Sir David Gray


  20. #49
    In footballing terms he and Malpas did not keep us up and they quite rightly paid the price.

    In personal terms I have every sympathy for the man and i would not wish what he went through on anyone.

    All the best for the future, Mr B.

    I do not hold a grudge.

  21. #50
    Only ever think of TB now for his significant contribution to comedy. The template "It's good to [fail at something] early on because it takes away the fear of [failure]" will be with me forever.

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,832
    As much as Butcher made a total mess of the Hibs job, I think it's worked out for the best in the end. We could have muddled along with mediocrity for some time if relegation hadn't happened and sometimes it takes an extreme event for the necessary changes to be made. He's never going to be one of my favourite people but it's time to let the bitterness go and concentrate on how strongly we have rebounded from the events of 4 years ago.

  23. #52
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,024
    He's an awful football manager but not a bad bloke. Time to forgive.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    24,537
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's an awful football manager but not a bad bloke. Time to forgive.
    Did some of his behaviours when at Hibs not exactly mark him out as not a bad bloke.

  25. #54
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    47
    Posts
    19,269
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did some of his behaviours when at Hibs not exactly mark him out as not a bad bloke.
    Double or treble negatives always confuse me

    My impression of him was of a bully with nothing interesting to say or contribute to life. He was a terrible manager who alienated his players and got us relegated. I have nothing positive to say about him. The tragedies in his personal life are just that, tragic, but don't detract from the facts of his time in charge.

  26. #55
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,024
    That day at ER v Hamilton was the low point of 50 years of following Hibs.
    He was a help at least in making us determined not to allow that again.

  27. #56
    TB and MM were a disaster for Hibs but I for one welcomed his arrival.
    i met him several times at various Hibs related events, and found him interesting, funny and surprisingly knowledgable about Hibs.
    The Hibs job was his dream and he anticipated spending years at the club and talked of building a team we would all be proud of.
    Unlike most other managers he immediately moved to the area (north Berwick)
    Having managed teams against Hibs he arrived with no faith in any of the players and wanted a clear out.
    My theory is that he was happy to finish third bottom so the following year it would be easy to improve.
    It never occurred to him we would be relegated.
    He certainly regrets his actions at Hibs which virtually ended his managerial career.
    Thankfully things have worked out well for Hibs but I don’t feel any bitterness and wish him well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved