hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scotland V Brazil (1998) NHC

With the World Cup finally upon us and the opening game about to start I was feeling a bit nostalgic (and old) about France 98, especially with Scotland opening the tournament.

I wrote the following and thought you guys might like a read to get you in the mood for the next 4 weeks

https://thefootballblether.com/2018/06/14/the-day-33-of-the-world-watched-scotland/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Enjoy the World Cup!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryOsCheerios View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the World Cup finally upon us and the opening game about to start I was feeling a bit nostalgic (and old) about France 98, especially with Scotland opening the tournament.

I wrote the following and thought you guys might like a read to get you in the mood for the next 4 weeks

https://thefootballblether.com/2018/06/14/the-day-33-of-the-world-watched-scotland/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Enjoy the World Cup!
    Wouldn’t believe at the time we wouldn’t see Scotland in another tournament by 2018😳 Never been as drunk as that day🤪

My first national team memory was a big gathering at our family house to watch the opening game.. and Collins slotting home that penalty.

As noted above.. who'd have thought that couple of weeks would be my last tournament memories of Scotland 20 years on. Really quite sad when I think about it like that!

Watched it in a Brazilian open air pub in Düsseldorf with about 20 ex pats and over 100 Brazilians. Fantastic atmosphere and when JC scored the pen the noise was mental.great memories.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I was 12 and remember we got let out of school early so we could be home in time for the game

I had my mates over to watch it after school back in Wales.

We went to get a chippy before kick off and the boy behind the counter was Scottish and he said his boss wanted to watch the game himself so made him work!!

Felt really sorry for him!!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I was at the game. Unbelievable atmosphere and seeing. Scotland in the opening ceremony was just amazing. It was my second world cup after Italia 90 and had also been at all Euro 96 games as well. I feel sorry for the younger Scotland fans who have never experienced occasions like that

My son turns 20 next month and never seen us qualify for any tournament. I long for the day that we can both watch Scotland in glorious failure.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I had the good fortune to attend the game. Brilliant build up and prematch atmosphere. The match was played in St Denis in the Stade De France which was in the suburbs of Paris so we had to get a tube train to the game which as you can imagine was rammed full.The whole area felt like an early Wester Hailes. We met Joe Jordan before the game as he was a BBC pundit and got our photy taken with him.We gave him pelters for being an ex jambo boss but he still looked fit enough to play.The Brazilian fans were absolutely fantastic totally gorgeous really into football and their team and just wanted to party all the time Samba style.Initial disappointment when Scotland lost a soft goal from a corner elation when JC equalised from the spot he came right across to us to celebrate extreme disappoint when what seemed to be a f*** up between Boyd and Leighton gifted them the match.At the end of the match a torrential downpour came on and our group of Scotland fans were interviewed by Radio Brazil they asked us what we thought of the match one of our group a Weegie ex Hun Dundee fan grabbed the mike and said WEWUZROBBED!

Watched it in a pub in Guernsey. Pub full of Scots and even bumped into a guy who fitted my sister's kitchen in Edinburgh. Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Watched it in a pub in Guernsey. Pub full of Scots and even bumped into a guy who fitted my sister's kitchen in Edinburgh. Small world.
    Crap name for a kitchen firm unless he was from little France

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Crap name for a kitchen firm unless he was from little France
    Think he was from just up the road from there.

Remember it well. The late Donald Dewar who was the then Secretary of State for Scotland let all (who wanted to) Civil Servants at the Scottish Office clock out early to get home in time to watch it. Actually, I think quite a few with heehaw interest in fitba legged it early that day too.

Watched the game in Kuala Lumpur in a bar called Bravehearts tavern, time difference meant the game kicked off about 1am iirc, about 100 Scottish ex pats steaming & singing, John Collins winking at the camera & seeing my mates in the crowd on tv when I was on the other side of the world...
    Happy days.

Watched it in Heroes Sports bar in Milton Keynes.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Holyrood Bar London. Changed my life - with a little bit of over-exhuberance I’m celebrating JC’s goal got my self noticed by my future wife.

Now It’s 20 years on and I’ll be heading to São Paulo to watch the Cop Mundial with my father in law. Still awaiting on the sponsorship from the SFA for our boys ;) at least I can genuinely support another team the family has ties to and actually stand a chance of winning the thing.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Great memories - I was still in Primary school!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I know they say the '82 Brazil team was the best team never to win but that 98 team was pretty special too. Of course winning it 4 years later meant a lot of them did win.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    I had my mates over to watch it after school back in Wales.

We went to get a chippy before kick off and the boy behind the counter was Scottish and he said his boss wanted to watch the game himself so made him work!!

Felt really sorry for him!!
    I was in the same boat. I had an after school job in a deli in Bath. Bizarrely both the owner and his wife were from North Berwick and he was of the Jambo persuasion.

Asked to come in late and he said no, but I could bring in my Sega Game Gear with TV attachment to watch the second half.

Got there only to find his wife working and I had to work with a poxy wee screen for the rest of the game.

Remember feeling massively hard done by the mannner of the Brazilian winner. Rebounded in off of Tommy Boyd!

I wish I could go back and tell my 17 year old self to make an effort as you would be at least 39 before Scotland qualify.

Also annoyed that I didn’t go to any Euro 96 games. My Dad was at sea at the time, so no way my Mum would have let a 15 year old go to Wembley or Birmingham on my own.

Still, one day soon.

J

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Holyrood Bar London. Changed my life - with a little bit of over-exhuberance I’m celebrating JC’s goal got my self noticed by my future wife.

Now It’s 20 years on and I’ll be heading to São Paulo to watch the Cop Mundial with my father in law. Still awaiting on the sponsorship from the SFA for our boys ;) at least I can genuinely support another team the family has ties to and actually stand a chance of winning the thing.
    That’s a cracking “how I met your mother” story!

J

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    That’s a cracking “how I met your mother” story!

J
    It’s all LondonHibs fault. With Scotland not qualifying since Feels a wee bit like “back to the future” - Scotland don’t qualify, I don’t pull a moony, don’t meet wife, Don’t have kids... :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Watched it in a wee bar in Trogir just outside Split in Croatia. It was pretty quiet that day but for the Morroco game there were maybe 40 ex-pats marched through the town before the game. Mental!

For the rest of the world cup 98 I watched the Croatia games in Split with big screens near the harbour. Absolutely mental scenes!

I was in Bosnia when Croatia beat Germany and had to go into lockdown when the locals started firing of weapons in celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    It’s all LondonHibs fault. With Scotland not qualifying since Feels a wee bit like “back to the future” - Scotland don’t qualify, I don’t pull a moony, don’t meet wife, Don’t have kids... :)
    I’m similar with my wife. We met on holiday in Zante.

If me and my mates were a day late or early booking we could have ended up on a totally different holiday and likewise, never met, married, have kids.

J

I was at this game in Paris and was sitting before kick off chatting to a friend when i noticed a group of lads in kilts c u Jimmi wigs and tackety boots looking rather the worse for wear.

It wasnt until they were level with me that i recognised my own son!! From the look of him i thought he had been drinking all night! Sorry to say he was full of hay fever and feeling and looking miserable!

I moved on to take in the next two games before we were ousted out but have amazing memories of great times with brilliant people.

Some good memories in here guys!

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Watched it is a bar in Canary Wharf and remember the hope (it's always the hope) that they might cling on and maybe even snatch it at the end, but no. Hope smacked me in the coupon just like Leighton, and Scotland lost in their classic style! Unfortunately I stayed on for the Norway game afterwards (no idea why) and got utterly trollied. Apparently I had a great afternoon......

@hibs.net private member s2hart's Avatar
    What a day that was, I was living in Paris at the time, up early carry out in hand and went to get my mates who were sleeping in a camper van near the Eiffel Tower, joined the march from there to the metro, the train was absolutely bouncing all the way up to St Denis, how it didn't derail I do not know. Ended up in the big fans zone/beer garden in the shadows of the stadium, managed to smuggle our spirits in past security in cartons of orange juice, brilliant day lost my jumper but managed to party on through the night minus a top! Shame the rest of our games were a damp squid, still some good nights in the Auld Alliance. Met Walter Smith in there watching a game, miserable and didn't look like he was up for any chat, don't blame him as everyone was leathered!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    A group of us stayed in Amsterdam and travelled down for the games. It was cheaper than France and with much more to do😉. Anyway our plan was to get the train down, go to the game, get very drunk and then sleep in the Gar du Nord then train back to Amsterdam next day. Unfortunately the station closes at about 3am and we got horses out.
    We ended up sleeping in a doorway under our big flag. One of the guys decided that was a crap idea so set off to find a hotel at about 4. Eventually he came back and said he had one but it was expensive and we had to be out again by 10 and no breakfast. Being tired and frozen we decided to head to the hotel.
    When we got there it was stunning, marble hall, marble staircase etc. As we were checking in, in strolls Joe Jordan, Eddie Gray and Peter Lorimer. One of my mates nearly pees his pants as Eddie was his hero as a boy. Runs up and says "that goal you scored against *(a team I now can't remember) was the best goal I've ever seen. Eddie says, aw for **** sake everyone remembers that one but what about the dozens of others I scored! Mate was deflated to say the least as we all pissed ourselves laughing.
    Anyway up to the most stunning bedrooms we had ever seen. We got about four hours sleep. As we woke up one of the guys I was sharing with gets up, stretches and looks like he has shat all over the bed, pillow and himself. Turned out he had fell asleep on the chocolate on his pillow!
    Ended up paying a fortune for about four hours sleep but it was more than worth it for the memories

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s2hart View Post
    What a day that was, I was living in Paris at the time, up early carry out in hand and went to get my mates who were sleeping in a camper van near the Eiffel Tower, joined the march from there to the metro, the train was absolutely bouncing all the way up to St Denis, how it didn't derail I do not know. Ended up in the big fans zone/beer garden in the shadows of the stadium, managed to smuggle our spirits in past security in cartons of orange juice, brilliant day lost my jumper but managed to party on through the night minus a top! Shame the rest of our games were a damp squid, still some good nights in the Auld Alliance. Met Walter Smith in there watching a game, miserable and didn't look like he was up for any chat, don't blame him as everyone was leathered!
    The Norway game was far from a damp squib. Cracking game in a great city and we all left the stadium thinking we were heading to the knock out stages. All we had to do was beat a poor Morocco side in St Ettiene. That worked out well!

@hibs.net private member
    Not mentioned here, I think, but Scotland players scored all three goals that day in Paris!