hibs.net Messageboard

Page 55 of 263 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 7886
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disagree about the fear. The longer it went at 1-1 tonight, the more anxious they seemed. Which is fair enough given they know what the tabloids could do to them.
    Yeah, but when you saw the impact Loftus-Cheek had, Rashford to a lesser extent, these are guys who just want to play.

Panama should be a comfortable win, 'should' be. I think Belgium will be a great game.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Yeah, but when you saw the impact Loftus-Cheek had, Rashford to a lesser extent, these are guys who just want to play.

Panama should be a comfortable win, 'should' be. I think Belgium will be a great game.
    Agreed. Could be a cracker.

@hibs.net private member
    Kano!!!!!

Kano - theres only two Kanos.

Coaching Staff

Agree

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    I love the fact millions of English kids will be getting excited about this..... only to be sadly let down again. 😊

Well done - your Mum must be so proud of you.

If England draw Columbia in the last 16 they won't get any further. They toiled tonight against a bang average side. They should beat Panama to get through but I'd expect Belgium to beat them comfortably.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Agreed. Could be a cracker.
    Was looking forward to that and leaning heavily toward England until you massively conflicted me with your excellent Lukaku piece.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Thank **** I'm Scouse and not English.
    Alls well that ends well. For what it's worth I think you played well but unlike your German brethren you have (as ODS would say) a talisman.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Tunisia deserved that. Pissing about silly defending then give away that corner. England are absolutely brutal though they won’t beat teams like Germany, Brazil, Belgium.
    They won't come up against the Germans if they can't sort themselves out.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    My favourite comment was Keowns “I have to say this is best we’ve seen at the tournament so far” I’m sorry what? Better than a Spain in full flow?
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    My favourite comment was Keowns “I have to say this is best we’ve seen at the tournament so far” I’m sorry what? Better than a Spain in full flow?
    At the time he said that, England were playing very well.

These folk aren't just commentators, they're fans so they're going to see things through rose tinted glasses.

Have a listen to Scottish commentators when we're playing. They're just as biased and optimistic.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    At the time he said that, England were playing very well.

These folk aren't just commentators, they're fans so they're going to see things through rose tinted glasses.

Have a listen to Scottish commentators when we're playing. They're just as biased and optimistic.
    At the time he said it England had played 21 minutes of football which was no where near as good as Spain, Portugal and even Belgium earlier on that afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    If England draw Columbia in the last 16 they won't get any further. They toiled tonight against a bang average side. They should beat Panama to get through but I'd expect Belgium to beat them comfortably.
    Colombia haven't even played yet and England didn't toil, they beat a very defensive side and played fairly well. 50/50 vs Colombia.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

They will toil against both Poland and Senegal as well if they don’t brush up defensively. Walker is never a CB, Maguire looked pretty dodgy defensively and Stones is gash.

England’s main strength is the attack but on the end of the pitch, they do look suspect
    Last edited by hfc rd; 18-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    At the time he said it England had played 21 minutes of football which was no where near as good as Spain, Portugal and even Belgium earlier on that afternoon
    Possibly not, although I'd suggest Belgium were poor, but that's football fans for you.

Excited and hyperbolic about their team.

Read the threads on here when Hibs play. One week we're the best ever, the next we're relegation fodder.

England's play at that stage was very good and certainly a lot better than several teams. I think he said it was "some of the best football we've seen" so he was right.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    They will toil against both Poland and Senegal as well if they don’t brush up defensively. Walker is never a CB, Maguire looked pretty dodgy defensively and Stones is gash.

England’s main strength is the attack but on the end of the pitch, they do look suspect
    Come on, Stones isn't gash.

You're talking about 2 players who were signed for big money by the best manager in the world, Pep Guardiola. They are top class players.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Come on, Stones isn't gash.

You're talking about 2 players who were signed for big money by the best manager in the world, Pep Guardiola. They are top class players.

Walker is a superb RB. At CB, you are not really getting the best out of him. He just had an excellent season at RB.

Sorry but I just don’t rate Stones at all. Maybe gash was a little too strong but he isn’t really someone that would fill me with confidence if he came up against a world class striker like a Lewandowski or Mbappe. He’s 4th choice CB at Man City anyways behind Kompany, Otamendi & Laporte.

Personally I actually quite like this England team, it’s a shame the media/journalists make it hard to want them to do well.

I think England are a young exciting team with tons of pace and skill, I like the system they play too as it is free flowing and expansive but lacks the right personnel imo.

Ashley young should never be left wing back, he puts the balance of the whole team off. Rose should be a starter.

Walker right centre back takes away the best part of his game which is going forward at pace. Would I drop Trippier? I don’t know because his crossing and set pieces are tremendous.

Dele and Lingard were both poor tonight and will really have to up their game, especially as Loftus Cheek came on and was brilliant imo, very direct and raised the tempo.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Personally I actually quite like this England team, it’s a shame the media/journalists make it hard to want them to do well.

I think England are a young exciting team with tons of pace and skill, I like the system they play too as it is free flowing and expansive but lacks the right personnel imo.

Ashley young should never be left wing back, he puts the balance of the whole team off. Rose should be a starter.

Walker right centre back takes away the best part of his game which is going forward at pace. Would I drop Trippier? I don’t know because his crossing and set pieces are tremendous.

Dele and Lingard were both poor tonight and will really have to up their game, especially as Loftus Cheek came on and was brilliant imo, very direct and raised the tempo.
    I think you’ve highlighted one of the issues international managers face.

In the same way Scotland has Tierney and Robertson battling to be back-up to Lewis , England have Trippier and Walker both capable of doing the right side. Southgate likes a central three and doesn’t seem to be too keen on Cahill. Solution therefore is to drop Cahill and move Walker over a bit.

I don’t think the back five/six have played any competitive games as a unit in that formation, not even sure if they’ve done it in a friendly so it is a learning curve. Macguire maybe also lacks some of the experience of the others playing non-EPL sides.

Stones is a good player IMO. Comfortable with the ball at his feet and happy to push up and create the extra man, with a good enough touch to make it worthwhile.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

England were unfortunate not to be four up by half-time but lucky in the end to win the game.

Too many Man Utd players I reckon.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I think you’ve highlighted one of the issues international managers face.

In the same way Scotland has Tierney and Robertson battling to be back-up to Lewis , England have Trippier and Walker both capable of doing the right side. Southgate likes a central three and doesn’t seem to be too keen on Cahill. Solution therefore is to drop Cahill and move Walker over a bit.

I don’t think the back five/six have played any competitive games as a unit in that formation, not even sure if they’ve done it in a friendly so it is a learning curve. Macguire maybe also lacks some of the experience of the others playing non-EPL sides.

Stones is a good player IMO. Comfortable with the ball at his feet and happy to push up and create the extra man, with a good enough touch to make it worthwhile.
    Englands back 3 while all decent on the ball also all have a mistake in them which will be punished when they meet the better teams. Allied to the fact they are playing together for the first time plus playing a system not all of them are used to spells problems I think but to be fair to them at least they are set up in an attacking way and their games will/should be entertaining. They did struggle to break down Tunisia second half so can see other teams setting up as defensively as them if that was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Colombia haven't even played yet and England didn't toil, they beat a very defensive side and played fairly well. 50/50 vs Colombia.
    They did toil. It took a 90th minute goal to beat a poor side. Columbia have more than one world class player too so will comfortably see off England should they meet.

Rankings are relatively new and not the be all and end all but France and Italy both won the WC from lower down the world rankings than where England are.

Anything's possible. As has been said, it's an almost certainty that should they make the QFs it will be Brazil or Germany. Progress from there and it's likely to be two of France, Spain, Portugal, Argentina or Belgium (again) to win the thing.

That's three massively difficult games but it's a young, talented side without much fear. I'm looking forward to their games where they play against teams who will set out to win.
    I thought they were good as previously said but an almost certainty to make the quarters they are not. Poland are ranked higher and Colombia whom had a good World Cup last time would more than give them a game. Looking forward to watching it all unfold.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

I agree, nice bunch of boys trying to play football but not enough bite.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    England were unfortunate not to be four up by half-time but lucky in the end to win the game.

Too many Man Utd players I reckon.

There were only two Man Utd players starting for England last night? Young and Lingard. Don’t know where you are coming with the term “too many”.

They were very complacent in front of goal and a better team would have punished them for it.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 19-06-2018 at 08:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Here we go yet again......

Some commentator on the BBC just now, asking whether it would be better if england won their group or came second, then saying that they'd probably face Brazil in the quarter finals.

They just never learn........

They did toil. It took a 90th minute goal to beat a poor side. Columbia have more than one world class player too so will comfortably see off England should they meet.
    Oh right then, England should just go home now then if there is no chance of beating Colombia.

Well done England they got the job done in the end. This team gets late goals when it matters. Fair play to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Auld View Post
    Here we go yet again......

Some commentator on the BBC just now, asking whether it would be better if england won their group or came second, then saying that they'd probably face Brazil in the quarter finals.

They just never learn........
    What's wrong with discussing the possible options? They're entitled to expect to beat Panama so looking forward is natural.

Was slightly surprised there was no comment in the media about a scare involving the aircraft carrying the Saudi national team to Rostov-on-Don which landed safely after declaring a problem with an engine.

What surprised me more was that it was a small Airbus A320(?) chartered from Russian carrier Rossiya rather than something more spacious and elegant as you may expect of the enlightened Kingdom.