hibs.net Messageboard

Page 253 of 263 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,590 of 7886
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since when was getting to the world cup semi-final not that good?

I'd love it if Scotland ever had such a poor tournament.
    Since you actually look at the teams they beat and realise they never beat one side they weren't expected to. They drew with Columbia who were without their best player and were beaten twice by Belgium and Croatia.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    They had a party down south for 4 weeks whilst England had a piss poor World Cup. It must have been hell for them.
    Don't think I used the term piss poor?. I said they will come to realise it wasn't actually all that good and when you look at the results in the cold light of day it wasn't.

Completely this. The tosh being trotted out by some Scots, no doubt welsh and Irish too, is laughable. Anyone with half a brain would liken it too Yams being obsessed with us, which, funnily enough gets ridiculed on here. It’s refreshing to actually see the media actually get behind and support the team for a change

They qualified convincingly for the World Cup, and progressed through to semi final stage by beating what was put in front of them. They were only Subosic’s stud away from advancing into the final

I hope and pray for the day when Scotland has such a poor tournament, then again maybe not as I’ve given up on the TA due to the downright xenophobic hollier than thou attitude which goes before them

I vowed after the England friendly and Ireland qualifier double header at Parkhead in the aftermath of the referendum I wouldn’t attend another Scotland game as the behaviour was nothing short of bigoted and xenophobic. The TA have Scotland on some sort of pedestal as being this wee great fantastic welcoming nation. Not so in my experience in the above two matches. They are a parody of themselves and can only take delight in singing about Diego Maradona, a drug taking cheat

I’ve went way off topic I know but hey ho!
    Last edited by HelmutSchlong; 15-07-2018 at 10:51 AM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

According to an English guy I know, it’s not that good. Since the semi-final full time whistle he’s been banging on about how Southgate should be sacked and never work in football again.

Yet between round of 16 and the start of the semi-final he was wanting Southgate to be given a knighthood.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    England scored 12 goals, 10 of which came from set pieces.

To me, that shows that they lack creativity. If they can unearth a midfielder or 2 then they'll have a chance of doing well in the Euros.

Having said that, they could and really should, have been 3 up on Croatia by half time. How Kane hit the post from a yard out in impossible to understand, but if he'd scored, we'd be watching England this afternoon.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Since you actually look at the teams they beat and realise they never beat one side they weren't expected to. They drew with Columbia who were without their best player and were beaten twice by Belgium and Croatia.
    I'm not really sure why beating teams you're expected to and progressing to the semi final is such a bad thing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Having said that, they could and really should, have been 3 up on Croatia by half time. How Kane hit the post from a yard out in impossible to understand, but if he'd scored, we'd be watching England this afternoon.
    Subosic got his stud to it and directed it off the post. It was an excellent save

England scored 12 goals, 10 of which came from set pieces.

To me, that shows that they lack creativity. If they can unearth a midfielder or 2 then they'll have a chance of doing well in the Euros.

And if Andrew shinnie hadn't missed an open goal from 2yards in the two seasons agosfinal game St Mirren they would have been relegated. If paco luna had scored with that header. If shaws goal at the pbs had been correctly given. That's football. Remember Croatia hit the post and the guy fluffed the rebound and had men over a couple of times but didn't get the ball. On the balance of the game Croatia deserved to win. You have to be very blinkered to say otherwise. We are wasting time arguing about it. They are out and I'm sure their performances will be analysed to death after the world Cup.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm not really sure why beating teams you're expected to and progressing to the semi final is such a bad thing.
    Its not a bad thing, but a good thing is winning games against teams who are your equal or better, they didn't.

And considering how the draw opened up giving them the best chance in decades of actually getting to the final, they must be gutted.

I know a few lads who are gutted, but are putting a brave face on and clutching to their comfort blanket on how they had no real expectations before the tournament.

Then all of a sudden, after their first defeat against Belgium, which by the way didn't count apparently, as they played their reserves.

All of a sudden, they then told me how easy their route to the final had become, something looking back has made me smile more than once.

Not a bad thing , but when you don't beat one single side you aren't expected to I don't think it's a roaring success either.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutSchlong View Post
    Completely this. The tosh being trotted out by some Scots, no doubt welsh and Irish too, is laughable. Anyone with half a brain would liken it too Yams being obsessed with us, which, funnily enough gets ridiculed on here. It’s refreshing to actually see the media actually get behind and support the team for a change

They qualified convincingly for the World Cup, and progressed through to semi final stage by beating what was put in front of them. They were only Subosic’s stud away from advancing into the final

I hope and pray for the day when Scotland has such a poor tournament, then again maybe not as I’ve given up on the TA due to the downright xenophobic hollier than thou attitude which goes before them

I vowed after the England friendly and Ireland qualifier double header at Parkhead in the aftermath of the referendum I wouldn’t attend another Scotland game as the behaviour was nothing short of bigoted and xenophobic. The TA have Scotland on some sort of pedestal as being this wee great fantastic welcoming nation. Not so in my experience in the above two matches. They are a parody of themselves and can only take delight in singing about Diego Maradona, a drug taking cheat

I’ve went way off topic I know but hey ho!
    Bigoted and Xenophobic? have a word mate slagging English or Irish is part of football for Scotland fans, you want to see bigoted or xenophobic you should look further in the direction of the English you were clearly supporting so highly in the world cup lol.

Subosic got his stud to it and directed it off the post. It was an excellent save
    Really? I didn't notice that. Great save then.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    And if Andrew shinnie hadn't missed an open goal from 2yards in the two seasons agosfinal game St Mirren they would have been relegated. If paco luna had scored with that header. If shaws goal at the pbs had been correctly given. That's football. Remember Croatia hit the post and the guy fluffed the rebound and had men over a couple of times but didn't get the ball. On the balance of the game Croatia deserved to win. You have to be very blinkered to say otherwise. We are wasting time arguing about it. They are out and I'm sure their performances will be analysed to death after the world Cup.
    Croatia deserved to win. I'm not arguing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Really? I didn't notice that. Great save then.
    Fantastic save but still awful from Kane, really should have buried the first one before Subasic hit it with his stud!

Quote Originally Posted by Deejk107 View Post
    Bigoted and Xenophobic? have a word mate slagging English or Irish is part of football for Scotland fans, you want to see bigoted or xenophobic you should look further in the direction of the English you were clearly supporting so highly in the world cup lol.
    Ok then by that rationale slagging catholics is part of football for Rangers fans. Jesus wept. There’s no hope for this country with this sort of mindset

There’s football banter and rivalry then there’s xenophobia and bigotry

Would absolutely love Croatia to win today. What a shot in the arm it would be for such a small country. Need a monumental effort to beat an excellent French side though.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    St Mirren wouldn't have been relegated, they'd have ****ing hammered Brechin in a playoff. Was alot more than 2 yards as well

Ok then by that rationale slagging catholics is part of football for Rangers fans. Jesus wept. There’s no hope for this country with this sort of mindset

There's rivalry but on the other hand there's outright bigotry. I doubt anyone is saying what Rangers fans sing is rivalry. You pointed out some bigots in among the Scotland support, I've no doubt they exist as I've experienced it myself.

Wouldn't you say that it can be a lot worse within the England support, some brutal bigots in among them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    There's rivalry but on the other hand there's outright bigotry. I doubt anyone is saying what Rangers fans sing is rivalry. You pointed out some bigots in among the Scotland support, I've no doubt they exist as I've experienced it myself.

Wouldn't you say that it can be a lot worse within the England support, some brutal bigots in among them?
    Deflect, deflect, deflect. So we have a few bigots and xenophobs in our support but not as many as England

Left by mutual consent!

So its not okay for us to slag English in the context of a football game because some snowflakes like you might wrongfully compare Scottish fans singing about our history to huns singing about murdering catholics? There's a massive massive difference. If people like you had their way we'd all be sat with gags in on our hands at a football match. Can't believe you'd compare anything you'd hear at hampden to the huns, such an idiotic comparison. You're right there's no hope for this country with this mindset, but i'm talking about your mindset.

If I was English I would be pleased with the progression to the semi finals.

However it really can't be ignored that they didn't beat anyone that were clearly better than them. I thought Colombia would have done better than they did but they were without their best player in James Rodriguez. Sweden were a very good draw for England in the quarter finals and their group was very easy to qualify from.

They had several opportunities to exceed expectations and failed each time. They failed to finish 1st in their group ahead of the favourites Belgium, they failed to beat favourites Croatia in the semi finals and then failed again to beat favourites Belgium in the third place play off.

The history books will always state that at World Cup 2018 England reached the semi finals and it represented their best performance in almost 30 years. However when you look at their path to the semi finals, they really didn't over achieve at all and really only did what they should have done.

Left by mutual consent!
    For me if we had a cup run of Brechin, Stirling Albion, Montrose, St Mirren and then got knocked out by Motherwell in the Semi Final I'd be gutted and wouldn't be telling everyone how fantastic an achievement it was.

So its not okay for us to slag English in the context of a football game because some snowflakes like you might wrongfully compare Scottish fans singing about our history to huns singing about murdering catholics? There's a massive massive difference. If people like you had their way we'd all be sat with gags in on our hands at a football match. Can't believe you'd compare anything you'd hear at hampden to the huns, such an idiotic comparison. You're right there's no hope for this country with this mindset, but i'm talking about your mindset.
    Ok I’m out, there’s no reasoning with people like you when it comes to anti English agendas

This.

Deflect, deflect, deflect. So we have a few bigots and xenophobs in our support but not as many as England
    Its not a deflection at all, you're the one deflecting. I said there were bigots among the Scottish support. Its one of the reasons I stopped going many years ago. No problem admitting that, no deflection at all.

What is a fact is that there are more among the England fans, in numbers and the culture within their support, you cant seem to bring yourself to admit that however and there lies the deflection.

(jeez internet interactions like this, people on their high horse, are so 1990's)

Left by mutual consent!
    Ok I’m out, there’s no reasoning with people like you when it comes to anti English agendas
    The only person who has an agenda here is you, i've offered a valid argument with valid points and you've failed to do so in return and are using the "no reasoning with people like you" excuse when I'm not even slightly anti English. You just don't have a counter argument.

So lemme guess you have english family or something? And you got offended hearing someone tell the English fans to piss off back to England or something? That's not xenophobic or is it bigoted. I don't doubt you may have experienced one or two idiots within the Scottish support but you literally used Rangers fans singing en masse about murdering people as a comparison to hearing one or two fannies in our support. Honestly i've heard waaay worse at Easter Road from Hibs fans than I ever have at Hampden? Remember the Skacel song? How about the Wallace Mercer one? Or the version we had for the Huns about the queen being the next one to go? Or about David Murray being a cripple? Those songs are way worse than anything I've ever heard at a Scotland game and I've been to 10 to your 2!

If you're done with Scotland fine but to compare us to Rangers fans singing about murdering people based on their religion it starts to get a bit idiotic if i'm honest.

What a quitter, what an absolute rotter. A lot of Scottish people lack objectivity on this subject but they cant hold a candle to the likes of you.

The only person who has an agenda here is you, i've offered a valid argument with valid points and you've failed to do so in return and are using the "no reasoning with people like you" excuse when I'm not even slightly anti English. You just don't have a counter argument.

So lemme guess you have english family or something? And you got offended hearing someone tell the English fans to piss off back to England or something? That's not xenophobic or is it bigoted. I don't doubt you may have experienced one or two idiots within the Scottish support but you literally used Rangers fans singing en masse about murdering people as a comparison to hearing one or two fannies in our support. Honestly i've heard waaay worse at Easter Road from Hibs fans than I ever have at Hampden? Remember the Skacel song? How about the Wallace Mercer one? Or the version we had for the Huns about the queen being the next one to go? Or about David Murray being a cripple? Those songs are way worse than anything I've ever heard at a Scotland game and I've been to 10 to your 2!

If you're done with Scotland fine but to compare us to Rangers fans singing about murdering people based on their religion it starts to get a bit idiotic if i'm honest.
    What's wrong with the Mercer song. The lyrics are a mere statement of fact.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    What's wrong with the Mercer song. The lyrics are a mere statement of fact.
    While I'll admit to singing that song plenty of times in its heyday I'd also say I wouldn't sing it if I knew that the man's family was in attendance for example, while its just banter it's also pretty harsh for a group of people to be celebrating the death of a human being! I like to imagine we don't need to sing songs such as that anymore to wind them up! As I've seen you agree with me I'll ask you if you think that song is worse than anything you'll hear at Hampden at a Scotland game?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    For me if we had a cup run of Brechin, Stirling Albion, Montrose, St Mirren and then got knocked out by Motherwell in the Semi Final I'd be gutted and wouldn't be telling everyone how fantastic an achievement it was.
    Exactly, the season Falkirk beat us in the semi 1-0, i was gutted. When you see who won it that year, at the time i thought it was our best chance and our easiest run to a cup final in my memory.