hibs.net Messageboard

Page 184 of 263 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,520 of 7886
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apart from it really being a racial/ethnic slur these days...
    Is it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

lol

Left by mutual consent!
    Wow. Racial/ethnic slur? Not even close.

Left by mutual consent! Col_0762's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Exactly, surely no one is offended by Jock👍
    Maybe some will as it’s a term most often used by English people in a demeaning context. If someone has a basic grasp of social skills, they wouldn’t refer to someone as a “Jock” etc. They would use that person’s name, or in this case, use ‘Scots’. Otherwise, they more than likely would be met with an equally unpleasent reply.

@hibs.net private member
    Wish I hadn't said it now! 😂

Exactly, surely no one is offended by Jock👍
    Everytime I've been called Jock, It's been by middle aged/senior English white males that also use derogatory names for other nationalities and those of a different race. Just my experience likes.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_0762 View Post
    Maybe some will as it’s a term most often used by English people in a demeaning context. If someone has a basic grasp of social skills, they wouldn’t refer to someone as a “Jock” etc. They would use that person’s name, or in this case, use ‘Scots’. Otherwise, they more than likely would be met with an equally unpleasent reply.
    Ah well seeing as I never use it in a demeaning context I’m fine then. Phew had me worried for a second

Ah well seeing as I never use it in a demeaning context I’m fine then. Phew had me worried for a second
    Try saying it to someone next time you’re out. “Eeee alright Jock lad?!”, see what response you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Everytime I've been called Jock, It's been by middle aged/senior English white males that also use derogatory names for other nationalities and those of a different race. Just my experience likes.
    Let me think......apart from Tafffy at work and Paddy down the pub I think I’m fine. No offence intended

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Southgate conducts himself very well. What a contrast between him and the loon commentators.

In other news, all four of those next round fixtures look pretty mouthwatering.

Try saying it to someone next time you’re out. “Eeee alright Jock lad?!”, see what response you get.
    I think I will be less surprised than you, as someone who regularly gets called scouse my use of jock in return has never raised an eyebrow

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Being half English, I get called Jock now and again when down there, but it's never bothered me. I've always just thought of it as a generic, used when you don't know someone's name, like the English will sometimes use a generic 'John' to strangers e.g. 'you got the time John'? Scotland is where the name is found; I've never thought of a 'Jock' being someone of lowly status. Do the Irish find being given a generic Paddy or Mick insulting? I don't know; it probably depends upon context and how it's used.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I think I will be less surprised than you, as someone who regularly gets called scouse my use of jock in return has never raised an eyebrow
    Scouse of course being after a Norwegian Dish enjoyed in Liverpool. Jock being part of the whole Sweaty Sock slang. Both the same of course...

@hibs.net private member
    Jock would have been preferable to when I was known as Shrek because, colour aside, I apparently looked and sounded like him! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Southgate conducts himself very well. What a contrast between him and the loon commentators.

Yes he came across very well, when he talks about owning the situation and the moment ir’s pretty obvious he has involved coaches other than football coaches in his preparation

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    So because you didn't see it, it didn't happen? You've never heard about it?
    No. Don't see the argument anyway tbf, if Scotland did it in the past it was wrong then, my point has been in my lifetime the hype and overconfidence from the English towards their clubs and their national team is incessant. Every single year. Liverpool to win the Champions League, Ramos purposely doing wrestling moves to stop Salah, Columbian player purposely headbutts Henderson and should be red, Henderson flicks his head and they just say "oh eh...ok maybe a yellow for that". Everyone is wrong, everything should be a penalty and a red except when they do it. It's like Celtic TV or biased media getting beamed across Scotland and everyone is supposed to be happy with the drivel they come out with. They know some Scottish fans will be watching as neutrals but speak as if it is just one nation watching "back home".

As you can probably tell I don't agree with the notion of Britain and think we should freely get to support whoever we please beyond our own country which in my eyes is Scotland. As an English person should be entitled to support England. Media coverage in Britain favours England because more people are located there but for countries to be lumped this closely together nowadays doesn't make sense for me. Would we get "an update from Scotland camp" if Scotland were out competing? Nah, not via BBC or STV (ITV) and if it were done it would be low budget. Maybe only on the news, not when Uruguay are playing Portugal. Imagine that half time between Uruguay vs Portugal, Linekar sitting there and goes, now an update from the Scotland camp. Then 5 minutes of interview with McGinn and it going back to the studio and them all saying "Yeah, he plays for Hibs and he is an outstanding player, could imagine a big move coming shortly for him, 10-15m at least"...never ever see that.

Not following you. Really don't see how England winning the World Cup affects us. If Hearts win the Cup - or anything really - they get resource and strength from that which is at our expense. Don't see how that applies to the world cup and us and England.

I'm pleased for them - especially after the years of penalties pain. I'm more concerned with us needing to improve big time than with them doing better or worse.
    Hearts had 35 years of pain not winning anything. Personally I’d have happily given them 35 more.

You’re even older than me, so when you were growing up England were real rivals, we played them every year in what was then a big game and we beat them now and then. You can’t just shake off these meaningless football rivalries.

It won’t kill me if they win and I’ll be happy for English pals but I’ll still be cheering for Sweden on Saturday and I really don’t see why I shouldn’t tbh.

Left by mutual consent!
    What a load off guff! Does the same apply to Taff, Geordie, Scouse, Kiwi, Oz etc etc? No it doesn’t!

Offended by Jock 😂 aye ok 👍🏻

You may as well have said I hate the English as that’s the undertone of yours and others posts.

Southgate is really likeable. Very professional, talks sense and I (usually) wouldn't grudge him doing well in this competition but... It's unfortunate he's got erseholes like Hoddle, Wright and Tyldesley on his side!

Quote Originally Posted by TheReg! View Post
    What a load off guff! Does the same apply to Taff, Geordie, Scouse, Kiwi, Oz etc etc? No it doesn’t!

Offended by Jock 😂 aye ok 👍🏻

You may as well have said I hate the English as that’s the undertone of yours and others posts.
    I’m not offended by Jock, no. I was giving an example of why some may be offended. You are correct about not particulary liking the English though, due to their feeling of superiority over everyone else and a right of entitlement they seem to feel. A bit like fans of the Old Firm.

Yup, my experience too - worse since the impending Brexit, by the way - was asked in all sincerity in London last week why "all you Jocks" like the EU more than you like "us".

" Don't know Nigel, we just do" was my retort.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Is it?
    If someone calls someone a generic name because of where they come from I'd suggest that is a ethnic slur. Is gringo ok then? Yank? Gypsy? Hun? Jerry? Kraut?

What was used in armed forces I would say cannot be treated as a mark of respect within every day society, sorry that doesn't work. I never served in the 9th Division or any armed forces so if an English person (or anybody) calls me a Jock that is an ethnic slur, no mark of respect is meant, it is clearly meant in a derogatory fashion.

I’m not offended by Jock, no. I was giving an example of why some may be offended. You are correct about not particulary liking the English though, due to their feeling of superiority over everyone else and a right of entitlement they seem to feel. A bit like fans of the Old Firm.
    Wow a racist in our midst and doesn’t hide it either.

Left by mutual consent!
    😂 💩

Wow a racist in our midst and doesn’t hide it either.
    Wow, an uneducated person in our midst. The English aren’t a “race” haha.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    There are 55 million of them; I don't think they all have said mindset!
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    I’m as proud a Scot as anyone but ***** like this is embarrassing, it’s actually making me want England to do well just so it pisses people like you off!

State of this thread.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReg! View Post
    I’m as proud a Scot as anyone but ***** like this is embarrassing, it’s actually making me want England to do well just so it pisses people like you off!
    Just to put a spin on that - there would be far superior numbers of English fans hoping Scotland to lose in a World Cup than those in Scotland wishing them to fail. Guess those people are ok though, eh? Better reasons perhaps? Who'd have thought that all nations within Britain have a degree of national identity about them? Evil SNP at it again!!!!!!

I really don't know why the "people like you" had to be pulled out tbf.

@hibs.net private member
    Wow, an uneducated person in our midst. The English aren’t a “race” haha.
    Actually, an English couple in the South of Scotland won a case against their local Scottish pub for discrimination on the grounds of race. Not that the pub admitted liability.

Scottish-English race case settled | The Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scottish-english-race-case-settled-1112372.html