hibs.net Messageboard

Page 93 of 263 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 7886
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the last two paragraphs are the crux of it - we're in the near unique situation of having commentary bent towards a footballing nation that isn't ours.

There's no reason why we should like it, nor should there be any daft notion that BBC/ITV become random beacons of impartiality who'll throw together an immaculate and exhaustive 50 minute preview of Mexico-South Korea. And I can't believe anyone really thinks they should tone down the jingoism on behalf of the other three parts of the UK.
    I agree.

If it had been ABE fans doing the commentary, we'd have heard all about Brazil, Argentina and Germany being in trouble, albeit from a different, worried, angle.

Imagine what this place would be like if it looked like Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen looked like getting knocked out of the Scottish Cup.

And no, they're not supposed to be impartial. They're England fans. 95% of their audience is too.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 23-06-2018 at 11:20 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    The Germans have a frighteningly talented team with many more gears left in them - think they will turn up big style in the knock-out stages. Their coolness today under pressure showed why they are favourites. They are also scary to watch when they have their tails up - make it look so simple and easy.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    What a great night. My next door neighbour who is also the mayor invite the whole village round to his pad to watch the game. Thriller of a game where the atmosphere went from one of "Weltuntergang" to one of jubilation. Rollercoaster ride with free beer, open grill, tears of distress, 45% moonshine and relief. Amazing scenes that were probably repeated throughout the whole country. Germany are just warming up, bring on the Koreans.

My wife and I were on holiday in Rhodes last week and saw some of the games over there. I watched the Germany v Mexico game over there and cheered when Mexico scored and when they won the game. No commentary that we could understand, it was in a foreign language (not Greek). Over here I watched the build up and the whole Sweden v Germany game. I've got nothing against Sweden at all, they're an honest hardworking team that have a fair amount of ability. But I couldn't help cheering when Germany's winner went in. The 'Germany could go out of the world cup/have to win' thing had been rammed down our throats for virtually 3 hours. So IMO, commentaries can make you change opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    The Germans have a frighteningly talented team with many more gears left in them - think they will turn up big style in the knock-out stages. Their coolness today under pressure showed why they are favourites. They are also scary to watch when they have their tails up - make it look so simple and easy.
    WC history shows those quick out of the blocks rarely go on to win, it's those that improve over the tournament that invariably come out on top. Happens time and again. Brazil, Germany, Spain all struggling at this stage should be a big red flag for the others, but English media getting worked up over England chances - based one last gasp win against Tunisia.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    WC history shows those quick out of the blocks rarely go on to win, it's those that improve over the tournament that invariably come out on top. Happens time and again. Brazil, Germany, Spain all struggling at this stage should be a big red flag for the others, but English media getting worked up over England chances - based one last gasp win against Tunisia.
    Its definitely a marathon not a sprint. The team that wins it will have to be at their best in five games time, not now.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    I have no problem whatsoever with English TV and the English commentators as there sub text is perfectly clear.

Germany are an obstacle to their team winning the World cup and for England to progress deep into the competition it would be nice and handy if the presentation World Champions weren't around.

I throughly enjoyed their continual wee digs as they made no pretence of any neutrality and must have said the same thing 3/4 times.

Scottish people watching English TV and then whingeing the commentators are biased is surreal.

Of course they *** are. Every country's commentators are like this.
    This is the crux of the matter though.

For as long as I can remember International tournament coverage in Scotland has been English tv coverage under the guise of the BBC and ITV. Even the years when England weren’t in the tourney we just had English tv coverage.

Eventually they threw us the scrap of having Scottish coverage for games involving Scotland but as soon as they were over it was back to coverage of Iran v Mexico with a pre match and half time report from the England camp with maybe a montage of English goals at the end.

All year round Scottish footbsll is covered by our own pundits radio and tv. Yes they can be annoying, biased and sometimes just crap but it is always from a Scottish perspective and often find angles to games tha English tv commentators just wouldn’t even know about.. Why can’t this continue during tournaments? We could have our pundits watch And analyse games. At half time they might occasionally mention England but Not every ****ing game.

Of course the truth is the likes of the BBC would never pay for that as Scotland is insignificant to them, given more regional status really. It would be funny one tournament really to see situations reversed . Coukd you imagine a world cup where English viewers were subjected to Michael Stewart, Stephen Thomson and Chick Young et al for the Entire tournament. There would be riots in the streets. We on the other hand just sit and meekly accept another nations football coverage.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We on the other hand just sit and meekly accept another nations football coverage.
    The root of the problem.

Terry Butcher on Breakfast TV boasting about how he "enjoyed hurting people" and his manic hubris over England's chances is another endearing reason to support England today. So glad to see that the coverage is low key this am and they refrained from interviewing a stereotypical fat, bald, middle-aged England fan drinking beer at 8.30am. That would have been too much.

For as long as I can remember International tournament coverage in Scotland has been English tv coverage under the guise of the BBC and ITV. Even the years when England weren’t in the tourney we just had English tv coverage.

Eventually they threw us the scrap of having Scottish coverage for games involving Scotland but as soon as they were over it was back to coverage of Iran v Mexico with a pre match and half time report from the England camp with maybe a montage of English goals at the end.

All year round Scottish footbsll is covered by our own pundits radio and tv. Yes they can be annoying, biased and sometimes just crap but it is always from a Scottish perspective and often find angles to games tha English tv commentators just wouldn’t even know about.. Why can’t this continue during tournaments? We could have our pundits watch And analyse games. At half time they might occasionally mention England but Not every ****ing game.

Of course the truth is the likes of the BBC would never pay for that as Scotland is insignificant to them, given more regional status really. It would be funny one tournament really to see situations reversed . Coukd you imagine a world cup where English viewers were subjected to Michael Stewart, Stephen Thomson and Chick Young et al for the Entire tournament. There would be riots in the streets. We on the other hand just sit and meekly accept another nations football coverage.
    I agree with most of your post but I would hate to put up with the Scottish pundits we currently have, talking about the world cup. Billy Dodds and Chick Young doing Panama Belgium or whatever? Gabriel Jesus wept.

Pat Nevin is commentating on some games on Five live. He sounds like an old woman so boring, he seems to over analyse everything.

Left by mutual consent!
    A question I would like answered - Where was Thomas Mueller's paper round? Central African Republic?

I almost keeled over when I read he's 28.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I agree with most of your post but I would hate to put up with the Scottish pundits we currently have, talking about the world cup. Billy Dodds and Chick Young doing Panama Belgium or whatever? Gabriel Jesus wept.
    If we could find more like Michael Stewart and lose the BBC jobs for the boys lot I think we'd be fine.

HaHa I love your analogy of 4 weeks of Thompson, Chico and Mikey Stewart doing the World Cup fronted by say Hazel Irvine.

Very likely England will win today and the reasonably relaxed coverage so far will be ramped up to biased and jingoistic and absolutely rightly so as England is a fantastic football country with a real depth of feeling for the game.

English TV just merely reflects that the holy grail of English sport and society is to win the World Cup for the first time since nineteen.....whenever it was.

I quite enjoy the coverage as England is a country I admire despite the problems their country faces but the meek whiney Scots who think English TV owes them something gies me the "dry boak".
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 24-06-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Pat Nevin is commentating on some games on Five live. He sounds like an old woman so boring, he seems to over analyse everything.
    I can't stand him as an analyst, but I started a thread on this à while back and 90% of folk on here disagreed with me so I'm staying out of Pat bashing now

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    You're obsessed, TC.

They said nothing wrong and it certainly wasn't every 2 minutes.

I don't know why people don't just turn the commentary off if the English guys are so difficult to listen to.

I said to my wife that by this time next week, Germany, Brazil and Argentina could be out of the tournament.

Their team is in the tournament. I'd be excited if it was my team.

They ARE my teams, along with all the rest bar one.
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 24-06-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Does no-one but me have a volume control on their TV?

If you can't put up with English commentators fantasising about their own team's chances, don't listen.

Your blood pressure will thank you.

I suspect that a lot of people listen to the commentary concentrating hard, wantin be outraged at something so they can complain about it.

I read someone yesterday criticising the commentators because they were "surprised that they hadn't said" something.

Just turn the volume down if it irritates you so much.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    They ARE my teams, along with all the rest bar one.
    England are your team?

You've changed.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Why can’t we have a Scottish World Cup commentary team and panel..? Genuine question..? Does it always have to be lineker shearer and co..? I’m pretty sure the English would be pissed off if they had to listen to another countries bias/ excitement and so on constantly..

Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Why can’t we have a Scottish World Cup commentary team and panel..? Genuine question..? Does it always have to be lineker shearer and co..? I’m pretty sure the English would be pissed off if they had to listen to another countries bias/ excitement and so on constantly..
    95%, of the TV audience, if not more, are happy with the English commentary.

It would be ludicrous to spend money on a separate team of pundits because some Scottish folk have a chip on their shoulder.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    England are your team?

You've changed.

It would be ludicrous to spend money on a separate team of pundits because some Scottish folk have a chip on their shoulder.
    Btw I can’t stand half the Scottish ones either HR. Some are just as bad as the English ones. I just want a fair non biased commentary team! I’ve no chip on my shoulder when it comes to them, I just can’t stand being told every 5 mins about England or how great it would be to see Germany go out.

Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Why can’t we have a Scottish World Cup commentary team and panel..?
    Because they'd be the same Troon mafia, carvery eating, old firm sucking up bassas that we all complain about week in week out. I tend to prefer the English

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    You know what the real root problem - not that I'm sure there really is a problem - of all this is? Start qualifying for World Cups and then we'll have our own commentary team.

I mean, they'll be pretty 5hite but there you go. Richard Gordon presents the World Cup for four weeks, what could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    You know what the real root problem - not that I'm sure there really is a problem - of all this is? Start qualifying for World Cups and then we'll have our own commentary team.

I mean, they'll be pretty 5hite but there you go. Richard Gordon presents the World Cup for four weeks, what could possibly go wrong?
    Jeezo, what a thought.

That's it. I'm ABS.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Jeezo, what a thought.

That's it. I'm ABS.

Oh I don't know, I'm sure being subjected to convoluted connections between Aberdeen and the likes of Saudi Arabia v Egypt and Panama v Tunisia night after night would be an utter joy.

From the rest of the world’s perspective, it’s ridiculous that Scotland even has a football team taking up a FIFA membership and valuable slot in Euro qualifying.

Left by mutual consent!

Another reason for independence.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

We never have before? Just our own games.

Left by mutual consent!

There’s another team across the city that tugs its collective forelock to their ‘betters’. And England does not hold 95%! of the population.

People would like their WC commentators to reflect a worldly outlook, something that’d be difficult for the limited range of commentary from English AND Scottish pundits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk