hibs.net Messageboard

Page 250 of 263 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,500 of 7886
    First Team Regular Corstorphine Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correct, bitter and twisted is about right. One of the best things about this World Cup has been how the extended stay of England threw practically the whole of Scotland into a bed wetting panic of epic proportions. Every excuse has been dug up to use just in case England went all the way. I remember the Jambo comfort blanket of 5-1 being used regularly. There has been a massive new “they had an easy draw” comfort blanket in use since it started with the majority of your poor jealous Scots huddled together under it. An absolutely hilarious response which has more than made up for my disappointment.
    'Practically the whole of Scotland' is a disappointing assumption from you SH. I know quite a few Scots ( myself included ) who enjoyed the England WC journey.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corstorphine Hibby View Post
    'Practically the whole of Scotland' is a disappointing assumption from you SH. I know quite a few Scots ( myself included ) who enjoyed the England WC journey.
    Oh I enjoyed the journey alright

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm 58, and stood on the same terraces watching us play to huge crowds, 100k plus. We are a long way behind them in achievements, but its all relative. They are now celebrating wins against Tunisia Panama and Sweden. They are celebrating how well they have done in this tournament, when in reality they lost to a team we've beaten twice home and away in recent seasons.

I dont like the glorious failure either, but i had to smile watching the pundits and fans interviewed on tv saying the same things we've said over the years in our own glorious failures.

Losers are losers, some better than others, but they are still losers.
    Wish I was still 58, oh happy days.

Correct, bitter and twisted is about right. One of the best things about this World Cup has been how the extended stay of England threw practically the whole of Scotland into a bed wetting panic of epic proportions. Every excuse has been dug up to use just in case England went all the way. I remember the Jambo comfort blanket of 5-1 being used regularly. There has been a massive new “they had an easy draw” comfort blanket in use since it started with the majority of your poor jealous Scots huddled together under it. An absolutely hilarious response which has more than made up for my disappointment.
    Really?

I will not lie and say I wanted England to win, but I was not going to lose any sleep if they did. They played well to get to the semi. Came close in the first half to booking a place in the final as I don't think Croatia would have come back from 2 goals down. If they had beaten Croatia and then a decent French team then it would have been deserved.

Only thing I would say SH, is I get the feeling that some in the England camp and I include supporters and pundits in that, think this is the start of a 'Golden Generation' just because they have some young players. What I saw of them would not indicate that they have the midfield players to dominate in the latter stages of major tournaments. But only time will tell.

A few National teams will have to rebuild, including Germany, Holland and Spain so there is a chance that a young England might get the jump on them.

Scotland? Taxi !!!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I think he’s hurting.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Yes I know there were plenty mate, maybe I should have said the majority instead.

[QUOTE=SanFranHibs;5462334]Really?

I will not lie and say I wanted England to win, but I was not going to lose any sleep if they did. They played well to get to the semi. Came close in the first half to booking a place in the final as I don't think Croatia would have come back from 2 goals down. If they had beaten Croatia and then a decent French team then it would have been deserved.

Only thing I would say SH, is I get the feeling that some in the England camp and I include supporters and pundits in that, think this is the start of a 'Golden Generation' just because they have some young players. What I saw of them would not indicate that they have the midfield players to dominate in the latter stages of major tournaments. But only time will tell.

A few National teams will have to rebuild, including Germany, Holland and Spain so there is a chance that a young England might get the jump on them.

Scotland? Taxi !!![/QUOTE

Agreed, not really having the golden generation thing either, potentiallly a decent team but other nations will also be rebuilding and looking at their own disappointments especially the so called big boys that did not quality.
    Golden opportunity rather than Golden generation in my opinion.

[QUOTE=Scouse Hibby;5462358]
    Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    Really?

Scotland? Taxi !!![/QUOTE

Agreed, not really having the golden generation thing either, potentiallly a decent team but other nations will also be rebuilding and looking at their own disappointments especially the so called big boys that did not quality.
    Golden opportunity rather than Golden generation in my opinion.
    Very well put. Wish I had put it that way.

Let’s be honest here and look at the facts. Even the most die hard England fan will tell you they got an easy route when you look at the teams they could have got had they beat Belgium.

Anyway not all folk in Scotland were wetting themselves, not one bit of me thought England would win it. You beat Panama, needed a last min winner against Tunisia, you lost against Belgium and beat one of the worst Swedish sides I’ve ever seen. But in your defence can only beat what’s in front of you so for that the boys done very well as they are still young and handled these games the right way.

When proper tested last night the cracks showed big time, and if you did go through the French would have taken more than a couple off this English side. It’s been a good World Cup I’ve enjoyed it and the banter between English and Scots fans.

But when the dust settles England were just an average side who beat the teams they should be beating and lost to the only ones who tested them.
    Last edited by Thecat23; 12-07-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Let’s be honest here and look at the facts. Even the most die hard England fan will tell you they got an easy route when you look at the teams they could have got had they beat Belgium.

Anyway not all folk in Scotland were wetting themselves, not one bit of me thought England would win it. You beat Panama, needed a last min winner against Tunisia, you lost against Belgium and beat one of the worst Swedish sides I’ve ever seen. But in your defence can only beat what’s in front of you so for that the boys done very well as they are still young and handled these games the right way.

When proper tested last night the cracks showed big time, and if you did go through the French would have taken more than a couple off this English side. It’s been a good World Cup I’ve enjoyed it and the banter between English and Scots fans.

But when the dust settles England were just an average side who beat the teams they should be beating and lost to the only ones who tested them.
    This.

This easy route thing is a myth. Does it make 21-05-2016 any less valid because we beat a (at the time) fellow Championship team? Because we didn’t beat Celtic on the way?

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    This easy route thing is a myth. Does it make 21-05-2016 any less valid because we beat a (at the time) fellow Championship team? Because we didn’t beat Celtic on the way?
    It’s a myth? What? Lol.

If you conflate getting to the semi-final with “England are top 4 in the world” then it’s definitely not a myth. People aren’t saying getting to the semis isn’t an amazing achievement, they’re saying it doesn’t make England world beaters. They’re still a very average side (relative to the top teams).

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    The difference is we actually won the cup.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Bump. 1-0 Belgium. Internationalista **** doesn't half go quiet when we have proper football again.

Begium 1 v Hoddle 0

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Bump. 1-0 Belgium.
    Natural order :-)

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    If Belgium really hump them here it will definitely take the shine off England’s majestic, against-all-odds run.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    England's 3 lion defence are already home by the looks of it.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    just tuned in, c'mon Belgium, far more deserved of 3rd spot than that shower of thoroughly embarrassingly over-rated p@sh

back to the tennis noo :)
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 14-07-2018 at 02:33 PM.

England look poor here. If Belgium can be bothered they could give then abit of a doing.

Come on England get into this shower of over rated p@sh

Sounds like England are being outclassed again

Come on England get into this shower of over rated p@sh

oooooh so very nearly 2 :(

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    It's clear England are on holiday now. They will never win anything wearing that red shirt.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    England can barely get a touch of the ball here. Playing against decent sides has certainly shown them up for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    It's clear England are on holiday now. They will never win anything wearing that red shirt.

or playing sterling

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    just tuned in, c'mon Belgium, far more deserved of 3rd spot than that shower of thoroughly embarrassingly over-rated p@sh

back to the tennis noo :)
    How's the tennis going? Has Tim kept his serve yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    How's the tennis going? Has Tim kept his serve yet?

yes he has and plays Fred Perry in the final

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    England's 3 lion defence are already home by the looks of it.
    Each lion representing a match defeat in this World Cup.

Overrated. Just like Greggs cheese and onion pasties.