hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

The Hibernian FC Squad 2018/19

As signing news approaches, thoughts turn to the composition of the squad for 2018/19

Neil Lennon ran a first team squad of 23 last season and I believe that 24 is the aim this season.

Currently contracted for next season are

Goalkeepers: 4

1. Marciano
    2. Laidlaw
    3. Dabrowski
    4. Bogdan

Defenders: 7

5. Stevenson
    6. Gray
    7. Hanlon
    8. McGregor
    9. Ambrose
    10. Porteous
    11. Whittaker

Midfielders: 6

12. Hyndman
    13. Slivka
    14. Swanson
    15. Bartley
    16. F. Murray
    17. Mallan

Forwards: 4

18. Boyle
    19. Maclaren
    20. Shaw
    21. Kamberi

Therefore squad places

22. Ageypong
    23. Horgan
    24. Milligan

Are up for grabs.

I'm not aware of the likes of Blake, Stirling, Donaldson, Allan or Mackie being promoted to the first team this summer so without further departures I expect 6 signings this summer, most likely one defender, three midfielders and two forwards at the rate of one per week for the next six weeks.

Who do you want in the door first?
    Last edited by Speedway; 18-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Kamberi and Allan

Kamberi is the priority for me. Hopefully we'll get at least one signing announced this week. I'd hoped we'd give the Europa League a proper go this time and we'll need most of our squad to be in place to do that.

Blog Entries
    would love to see Kamberi added to that list!

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think Kamberi is a done deal and will be on that list. So the question is who will be his partner. I think there is no chance of us getting Jamie Mac back he will be out of our price range and the only way I could see him coming back is possibly another loan spell in January (You never know).I like Simon Murray but my problem with him is he keep's getting caught off side to often which I found hugely frustrating. I think that's why Lenny let him go in January.

I would like to see Kenny Miller back he's still got a lot to offer. I think he and Kamberi would form a lethal partnership up front in that league and could also work well for us in Europe.

I also think he would be good to have around to help bring on and improve Shaw and Murray

Plenty time for few changes in that squad, can't wait to see what they are !
    I initially wasn't interested in having Kenny Miller come in and if we don't get Kamberi I still am not, but if we get Kamberi, I think that would be a good pairing both intelligent players, with scope to develop Oli and bring in another quick younger striker, who has a bit of potential, to allow us to have a different option.
    I don't think Simon Murray links up well or is intelligent enough to work for us, not quite got all the qualities

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Kamberi and Allan
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Kamberi is the priority for me. Hopefully we'll get at least one signing announced this week. I'd hoped we'd give the Europa League a proper go this time and we'll need most of our squad to be in place to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Your wishes are LD's command.

5 places left up for grabs.

Now 4 places up for grabs with Bogdan's capture.

Allan, Mallan, Barker and McLaren perhaps?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

Replace Barker with Horgan, add a striker/remove Laidlaw/Dabrowski/Murray and I think that'll be us.

Would happily wait until the last day of the window if we tied that lot up on permanent deals.

Need a midfielder who can play the McGeouch role

Expect another 5 signings after McGinn leaves. Most likely Allan, Mallan, a Winger, at least one striker.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Need a midfielder who can play the McGeouch role
    IMO either slivka or fraser murray will be asked to play this role, or we'll have a change of system with maybe kamberi up front on his own with support from mallan, allan and two wingers, and the defence going back to 4 at the back with gray and lewis on the overlap.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

I’d be happy with that, although once McGinn goes he’ll also need to be replaced on top of the 4 places you mentioned. And he’ll need to be replaced with real quality.

Still think that there will be at least one Slivka type signing which comes out of left field. We are currently linked with players that were here last season like Allan, Barker and MacLaren plus Mallan who was on the radar before he went to Barnsley.

A 3-5-2 formation suits a lot of the personnel we have, for instance Hanlon-McGregor-Ambrose and 2 up front (Kamberi and hopefully MacLaren). However, the make up of the midfield might dictate the shape and system we play.

Our best midfield 3 last season was McGinn, McGeouch and Allan. Conceivably we could be without any of them this season. Finding a midfield unit that works will be Lennon's biggest challenge. However Mallan, Slivka and Swanson doesn't look (on paper) too bad.

This transfer window will be interesting to see if we can make the signings that keep the momentum going.

Getting though the 1st Europa Cup tie is massively important. Revenue, feel good factor, ability to show progress all ride on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    Still think that there will be at least one Slivka type signing which comes out of left field. We are currently linked with players that were here last season like Allan, Barker and MacLaren plus Mallan who was on the radar before he went to Barnsley.

A 3-5-2 formation suits a lot of the personnel we have, for instance Hanlon-McGregor-Ambrose and 2 up front (Kamberi and hopefully MacLaren). However, the make up of the midfield might dictate the shape and system we play.

Our best midfield 3 last season was McGinn, McGeouch and Allan. Conceivably we could be without any of them this season. Finding a midfield unit that works will be Lennon's biggest challenge. However Mallan, Slivka and Swanson doesn't look (on paper) too bad.

This transfer window will be interesting to see if we can make the signings that keep the momentum going.

Getting though the 1st Europa Cup tie is massively important. Revenue, feel good factor, ability to show progress all ride on it.
    While it doesn’t look a bad midfield 3, it’s so much weaker than last season and we finished 4th. Well need to improve the squad quite a bit in other positions if that’s to be our midfield.

Updated to show Mallan's signing and now there are only three places left for grabs.

Allan, Horgan and McLaren?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Updated to show Mallan's signing and now there are only three places left for grabs.

Allan, Horgan and McLaren?
    Could maybe throw in Barker as well? Or 1-2 others?

McGinn most likely will be sold and maybe Murray might get moved on as well?

2 spaces left. 3 when SJM goes.

Is Dabrowski included in the first team. Dont need 4 keepers. Surely playing with the youth or get him loaned out for games

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    LB, CM, ST for me.

LB can be a young back-up, but would want the CM and ST to be first team quality (although would be hard to manage the ST, as he'd be a rotation/bench player IMO - unless it's Sparky).
    Mon the Hibs.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We need two midfielders and a backup striker. Possibly a backup left back.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    LB, CM, ST for me.

LB can be a young back-up, but would want the CM and ST to be first team quality (although would be hard to manage the ST, as he'd be a rotation/bench player IMO - unless it's Sparky).
    I reckon an LB who can play CB competently or vice versa. We could do with cover for both IMO but that doesn’t necessarily need to come in the form of two bodies. Presuming McGinn goes then we need a real top quality replacement like Mulumbu. If we can’t get that then we may need two CMs with different qualities to try give us what McGinn gave us but unfortunately not all in one player. Other than Mulumbu or Kamara though there’s not many obvious choices there off the top of my head.

With regards to another striker, I think with us having Boyle it’s not a necessity but it would be nice. I’m not sure there would be a lot of point if it was going to be a 4th choice level of ability striker though. If we could get w decent level big lump then that could come in handy. There’s a boy Matt Smith at QPR who must be about 6ft7 and has been at some decent sides but I’d imagine he’s out of our reach, especially as a sub.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I reckon an LB who can play CB competently or vice versa. We could do with cover for both IMO but that doesn’t necessarily need to come in the form of two bodies. Presuming McGinn goes then we need a real top quality replacement like Mulumbu. If we can’t get that then we may need two CMs with different qualities to try give us what McGinn gave us but unfortunately not all in one player. Other than Mulumbu or Kamara though there’s not many obvious choices there off the top of my head.

With regards to another striker, I think with us having Boyle it’s not a necessity but it would be nice. I’m not sure there would be a lot of point if it was going to be a 4th choice level of ability striker though. If we could get w decent level big lump then that could come in handy. There’s a boy Matt Smith at QPR who must be about 6ft7 and has been at some decent sides but I’d imagine he’s out of our reach, especially as a sub.
    Yeah, CB cover would be handy. But we have Porteous, and the ability to go to 4 at the back instead of 5 if required also.

I reckon Slivka will be the "replacement" - it's what he's been getting ready for the last year IMO. We'd need someone to then replace Slivka, a competent bit-part player to grow into the CM role; which is more realistic than finding another affordable SJM in the market. Mulumbu or Kamara would be good, I'm just not sure if possible.

The midfield is going to be a difficult balancing act. It's certainly not going to be the same as last year as I don't think the roles of any from McGinn/McGeogh/Allan can be directly compared to the roles played by Mallan/Bartley/Slivka as we currently stand, which isn't to say that it's not a solid midfield 3.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    We need two midfielders and a backup striker. Possibly a backup left back.

Sean Mackie?

Updated with today’s ins and outs.

2 places left available.

1 place left before we punt anyone.

Who's going to take it?

Who's going to take it?
    From your list I think Swanson will be moved on and F. Murray sent out on loan. Hopefully Mulumbu or Kamara to fill the current space and then a couple others (Allan 🙏🏼) to replace Swanson and F Murray?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    From your list I think Swanson will be moved on and F. Murray sent out on loan. Hopefully Mulumbu or Kamara to fill the current space and then a couple others (Allan 🙏🏼) to replace Swanson and F Murray?

That’s what I believe as well

Who's going to take it?
    Is Dabrowski not normally considered the U20 goalie? In which case 2/24 places left.