hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvin bartley

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Marvin bartley

Marvin Bartley to me is a hero. When the going gets tough he gets going. He to me is what Matty Jack was for Alex McLeishs famous HIBS side of the late 1990s early naughties. A midfield enforcer. A role that every good team needs. He loved /loves playing against the Hearts. I just wonder what the future holds for him. He hardly played latterly in Lennys teams. He found himself in the uncomfortable position as being the HIBS unofficial spokesman before Lennys Assistant got involved latterly to explain Lennys actions/absence.I agree Marvin is getting on the biggest compliment that can be paid to him is that other SPFL clubs have brought in similar players to play a similar role. Marvin has bought into our ethos and psyche. He has also had his own personal problems and has had to deal with the Grenfell disaster. I feel that you cannot change the past but the way Hearts approached that penultimate fixture we were crying out for Marvin Bartley. I am just wondering if my fellow posters feel that Marvin has a role to play in the new season, is he still onside with the Manager or is it time to move on. I hope that he stays because we do not need immitations as we have the real deal.
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 12-06-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Not auction new thread

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    What up for auction .

To answer your question, yes I think he still has a role to play at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marvin Bartley to me is a hero. When the going gets tough he gets going. He to me is what Matty Jack was for Alex McLeishs famous HIBS side of the late 1990s early naughties. A midfield enforcer. A role that every good team needs. He loved /loves playing against the Hearts. I just wonder what the future holds for him. He hardly played latterly in Lennys teams. He found himself in the uncomfortable position as being the HIBS unofficial spokesman before Lennys Assistant got involved latterly to explain Lennys actions/absence.I agree Marvin is getting on the biggest compliment that can be paid to him is that other SPFL clubs have brought in similar players to play a similar role. Marvin has bought into our ethos and psyche. He has also had his own personal problems and has had to deal with the Grenfell disaster. I feel that you cannot change the past but the way Hearts approached that penultimate fixture we were crying out for Marvin Bartley. I am just wondering if my fellow posters feel that Marvin has a role to play in the new season, is he still onside with the Manager or is it time to move on. I hope that he stays because we do not need immitations as we have the real deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    What up for auction .

To answer your question, yes I think he still has a role to play at Hibs.
    No auction just clicked on new thread and auction came up someone must be trying to sell him ??

Good post.

Most misleading thread title of all time though.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    No auction just clicked on new thread and auction came up someone must be trying to sell him ??
    Hibs selling Bartley?

Answering your question, I think he may move on, comes down to whether we can improve on Marv. Not sure he’d be happy sitting on bench either. Hibs will likely get everything else sorted before they look at Marv unless he’s suggested he wants to leave which I doubt.

One of my favourite players but we can only maybe guarantee him 15 games a season. He suits certain games, others he doesn’t.

I was really puzzled as to why he did not appear at the gorgie game. he's made for that fixture and similar games too. I am hoping he is still with us for the new season. love his attitude on the pitch and he brings a certain "dig" to certain games. would like him starting, for most of our games, if the manager thinks there are some he is not suited for

I saw on one of the transfer twitter accounts that Stubbs is keen on signing Marv. Probably nonsense given the source but Stubbs is obviously a fan. I think it would be stupid to let him go though as I think he is still capable of winning certain games for us.

Quote Originally Posted by #persevered View Post
    I saw on one of the transfer twitter accounts that Stubbs is keen on signing Marv. Probably nonsense given the source but Stubbs is obviously a fan. I think it would be stupid to let him go though as I think he is still capable of winning certain games for us.
    and The Buddies are surely a team that will annoy us this season. it's a funny auld game.

I now get the funniest feeling that our first game will be against Stubbsy's mob. don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    and The Buddies are surely a team that will annoy us this season. it's a funny auld game.
    They most certainly will and if McGinn goes Stubbs gets a cash windfall to invest in the team Have no doubts he would go for Marv
    Don't think he got enough game time laterally so he may be tempted to move on unless Lennon can guarantee him this

And Nae Alamo Bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I love the big man, but the formation we played in the 2nd half of the season made it impossible to get him in the team.

Of course there were a few games where he'd be 1st pick for me, the gimps away being one, but when he does play we dont move the ball quickly enough, and our attacking game does take a hit, but he does shield the back 4 very well.

I cant see him being happy to sit on the bench, and play the odd game and come off the bench for 20 minutes or so every other week.

I hope he does want to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I love the big man, but the formation we played in the 2nd half of the season made it impossible to get him in the team.

Of course there were a few games where he'd be 1st pick for me, the gimps away being one, but when he does play we dont move the ball quickly enough, and our attacking game does take a hit, but he does shield the back 4 very well.

I cant see him being happy to sit on the bench, and play the odd game and come off the bench for 20 minutes or so every other week.

Spot on mate. Theres only 2 or 3 games a season where he would be in with a shout of starting.....basically the games where teams boot you up and down the park - Motherwell and hearts away spring to mind. If we can get approx £200k for Bartley and Murray I would take it then put it towards someone who will make a greater contribution.

I perssonally don’t think there is that much of an issue with him moving the ball on quickly. The rest I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Spot on mate. Theres only 2 or 3 games a season where he would be in with a shout of starting.....basically the games where teams boot you up and down the park - Motherwell and hearts away spring to mind. If we can get approx £200k for Bartley and Murray I would take it then put it towards someone who will make a greater contribution.
    I have to say i do love him for the way he owned the gimps every time he bossed their midfield, but to improve and evolve the way we did, sadly we need to look past him and open teams up with fast skilful precise attacking play.

Saying that, it is a squad game, and i would be happy if he stayed, dont know if he would be happy though?

I now get the funniest feeling that our first game will be against Stubbsy's mob. don't know why.

Our game will be the Sunday should we qualify for the second qualifying round of the Europa league. Will St Mirren not play on the Saturday to raise the flag etc?

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I perssonally don’t think there is that much of an issue with him moving the ball on quickly. The rest I agree with.
    When i said quickly moving it on, i dont think he's the best at that, purely because he's not as skilful on the ball as those who replaced him.

And he is more conservative with the ball, and looks sideways or backwards rather than forward, which then in my opinion results in us slowing the game, and allowing the opposition time to get back into position quicker.

The more expansive attacking style we seen after January shows the direction Lennon wants us going and big Marv just doesn't fit into that style, if he stays he'll only be used sparingly in certain games and at that might not be enough for him.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Genuinely hope he's still with us next season. There's got to be a place in the squad for what marv brings to the table on and off the pitch.

I'd pay him just to turn up and watch against the maroon balloons. His mere presence would be enough to beat them.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Depends on who we bring in this summer.
    Marv has been very good for us in that role and still has a future at Hibs if Lennon decides that a handful of games is enough to warrant keeping him.
    Of course Marvin may not be happy with that himself.

If he leaves then we lose our enforcer in the middle of the park, he's great for shoring up the midfield in games against tougher tackling teams like Hearts.

@hibs.net private member
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Stubbs tried to get him to move to St Mirren.

Lennon is now favouring Whitts in that holding mid role...unless that changes I cant see Marv getting back into the team...even for the 8/9 games that we need that role. He 100% should have played in the Hearts game.

Blog Entries
    When i said quickly moving it on, i dont think he's the best at that, purely because he's not as skilful on the ball as those who replaced him.

And he is more conservative with the ball, and looks sideways or backwards rather than forward, which then in my opinion results in us slowing the game, and allowing the opposition time to get back into position quicker.
    This 100%. I love Marv but his 1st touch isnt the best & his passes to team mates need to be quicker & more accurate. Im really not sure theres a place for him now other than maybe coming on to shore up a lead. Against Yams etc I think NL's tactics are to move the ball wide & quickly & that negates the need for a midfield enforcér.

Some games just cry out for Marv, and we put in a couple of poor performances towards the end of the season when we'd have been much better with him in the team.

There are some games when I'd favour Whittaker but there are some where Marv is still one of the best in the business.

I'd be gutted to lose him, and I'd be far less confident going into derbies without him.

Absolutely love Marvin Bartley Seems to have totally taken to the club and just gets what its all about.

Big role to play in this squad.

Think he could come in handy in the European games, especially if we're having to keep it tight at times.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Was saying the same thing to my Dad last night!

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Lennon is now favouring Whitts in that holding mid role...unless that changes I cant see Marv getting back into the team...even for the 8/9 games that we need that role. He 100% should have played in the Hearts game.
    Jamie MacLaren should also have started. Barker should have been kept as an impact sub to perform as he did against Kilmarnock to be employed against tired legs.Those two decisions plus the missed penalty against Aberdeen sparked Lennys meltdown.Obviously starting Bartley and MacLaren would have meant sacrificing one of our more skilful luxury players but with the benefit of hindsight our midfield did not turn up on the night.

I fear Marv's days at Easter Road may be numbered. He barely got a kick in the last 3rd of the season and its pretty clear that NL sees Whittaker as the man to play in that midfield holding role. Whittaker isn't as tough, but he is capable of getting a goal and can see a pass better, though IMO he loses the ball far more than Marv does.

Whatever happens he will always be a cup hero ... even if he didn't get onto the pitch at Hampden there's little doubt that he played a massive part in getting us there.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I fear Marv's days at Easter Road may be numbered. He barely got a kick in the last 3rd of the season and its pretty clear that NL sees Whittaker as the man to play in that midfield holding role. Whittaker isn't as tough, but he is capable of getting a goal and can see a pass better, though IMO he loses the ball far more than Marv does.

Whatever happens he will always be a cup hero ... even if he didn't get onto the pitch at Hampden there's little doubt that he played a massive part in getting us there.

Having Marv in the midfield at Tinie instead of Whittaker last game would have made a huge difference...