hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 54 of 54
  1. #31
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,125
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trump is obviously a bell end, but credit where it is due, IF he pulls off a peace treaty and denuclearization of Korea (I'm still sceptical...) then that is a huge foreign policy achievement.

    I actually thought him suspending military manoeuvres was quite a bold step - somebody had to give something to get things moving, and it would be easy enough to start them again should things not progress.
    The devil is in the detail. Until details emerge on what has actually been agreed upon and we see that NK is willing to hold up it's end of the deal, then the champagne should be kept on ice.

    First reports are that the deal is wishy washy concerning NK having to denuclearise but Trump has committed to stop military exercises with SK and the removal of US troops from the peninsula. Looks like a great deal for NK who have managed successfully to alter the status quo with their nuclear aspirations. I wonder what the government in the south are now thinking.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair play the meeting was a bit of a breakthrough.

    Are we forgetting that Trump has also torn up an agreement with Iran which is the exact same agreement that he is trying to get in North Korea?

    Crazy.

    J
    I think I'm right in saying that the Iran deal had important checks and balances written in to it, to ensure they were keeping to the deal, yet it was the worst deal ever because it wasn't Everything We Want Already. This one is a vague aspiration, that they already had, and which has been agreed several times in the past before being reneged upon.

    Mike Pence said beforehand that any result other than complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearisation would be unacceptable. By their own terms, it doesn't seem to have worked out.
    Last edited by s.a.m; 13-06-2018 at 07:08 AM.

  4. #33
    Testimonial Due Stranraer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,142
    Blog Entries
    6
    I remember Michael Moore's anti-Bush speech at some award ceremony and they ended up cutting him off.

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,823
    I see the President stayed classy to rise above De Niro's remarks and ignore them.

    Oh, wait, no he didn't. Instead, he insulted him and called him names.

    I never thought I'd see the day when the POTUS would deliberately and publicly insult an individual US citizen.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44463301
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see the President stayed classy to rise above De Niro's remarks and ignore them.

    Oh, wait, no he didn't. Instead, he insulted him and called him names.

    I never thought I'd see the day when the POTUS would deliberately and publicly insult an individual US citizen.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44463301
    About as classy as standing infront of a TV camera mumbling ***** Trump , that was really class from De Niro


  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair play the meeting was a bit of a breakthrough.

    Are we forgetting that Trump has also torn up an agreement with Iran which is the exact same agreement that he is trying to get in North Korea?

    Crazy.

    J
    Do you not think Israel lent on him to scrap the Iran deal?

    For me the North Korea deal makes a war with Iran more likely. Trump peace maker in North Korea and to balance it out a war with Iran. All part of his deal making strategies

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,823
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    About as classy as standing infront of a TV camera mumbling ***** Trump , that was really class from De Niro

    Agreed.

    Dear Niro is a US citizen, though, not the President. He is entitled to criticise those in power in any legal way he chooses.

    Trump is an immature child who can't stop himself. He's so thin skinned it's so easy to goad him into a reaction. It's not as if what Dr Niro said was damaging or new or clever. It was a generic and ubiquitous swear word.

    It's like Billy Connolly's joke about the Pope being told to F off. Hilarious.

    Except this actually happened. And everyone knew it would.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  9. #38
    Did anyone else think this was going to be a thread about Kim Jong-un?


  10. #40
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,630
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

  11. #41
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The devil is in the detail. Until details emerge on what has actually been agreed upon and we see that NK is willing to hold up it's end of the deal, then the champagne should be kept on ice.

    First reports are that the deal is wishy washy concerning NK having to denuclearise but Trump has committed to stop military exercises with SK and the removal of US troops from the peninsula. Looks like a great deal for NK who have managed successfully to alter the status quo with their nuclear aspirations. I wonder what the government in the south are now thinking.
    Agree about devil being in the detail, something I suspect is lost a bit on the POTUS! I too am sceptical.

    I hadn't realised they had promised to move all US forces out of South Korea, I thought he had only suspended joint military manoeuvres with the South?

    There is no denying that things have moved further under trump on this issue than they ever did under Nobel peace prize winning Obama.

  12. #42
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,376
    I gather Justin Trudeau is considering reinstating public executions in a bid to get back into the good books of his powerful southern neighbour.

  13. #43
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,823
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree about devil being in the detail, something I suspect is lost a bit on the POTUS! I too am sceptical.

    I hadn't realised they had promised to move all US forces out of South Korea, I thought he had only suspended joint military manoeuvres with the South?

    There is no denying that things have moved further under trump on this issue than they ever did under Nobel peace prize winning Obama.
    I think it's being presented as a huge success, as is Trump's style, but it's more style over substance.

    Firstly, they haven't moved anywhere, yet, and it's highly doubtful that anything will come of this "agreement".

    Secondly, despite Trump's bluster, the signed statement is much weaker than previous agreements.

    Here's Washington Post's fact check on the issue;

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.68415f925db1
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 14-06-2018 at 08:27 AM.

  14. #44
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,106
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calling him that just drives people to him.

    Economy booming, record low unemployment amongst black and hispanic groups, talking the talk on the international stage, taking on everyone on trade barriers, historic meeting with NK, he's nailing it and the only response is to call him a Nazi.
    That's bollocks. Calling him that only attracts other racist, misogynist, nazis.

  15. #45
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I gather Justin Trudeau is considering reinstating public executions in a bid to get back into the good books of his powerful southern neighbour.
    I don't know about that however, I'm hearing rubbles that Canada might be legalising marijuana soon. I can see a northwards population drift in N. America on the horizon.

  16. #46
    @hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Age
    44
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's bollocks. Calling him that only attracts other racist, misogynist, nazis.
    I don't know if you're being serious with that comment, but if you are, that's an extremely ill informed statement to make. The majority of Americans that support President Trump are the forgotten men and women from the so-called flyover states who were sick and tired of being dictated to by the left leaning coastal states. There can be no question that President Trump has achieved more for the American people in a year and a half than the previous incumbant managed in eight years, yet rather than acknowledge that, you label his supporters as racists. Why?

  17. #47
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's being presented as a huge success, as is Trump's style, but it's more style over substance.

    Firstly, they haven't moved anywhere, yet, and it's highly doubtful that anything will come of this "agreement".

    Secondly, despite Trump's bluster, the signed statement is much weaker than previous agreements.

    Here's Washington Post's fact check on the issue;

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.68415f925db1
    I take that point, absolutely. And I remain very sceptical.

    But, I still think he deserves credit for moving the debate on. And I kinda hope that the North Koreans aren't taking the Mick, because I would be a bit worried of the response if it turns out that way.

  18. #48
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take that point, absolutely. And I remain very sceptical.

    But, I still think he deserves credit for moving the debate on. And I kinda hope that the North Koreans aren't taking the Mick, because I would be a bit worried of the response if it turns out that way.
    I can agree with you on this one, SHB.

  19. #49
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,106
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if you're being serious with that comment, but if you are, that's an extremely ill informed statement to make. The majority of Americans that support President Trump are the forgotten men and women from the so-called flyover states who were sick and tired of being dictated to by the left leaning coastal states. There can be no question that President Trump has achieved more for the American people in a year and a half than the previous incumbant managed in eight years, yet rather than acknowledge that, you label his supporters as racists. Why?
    I'm sure he has many supporters who are not racist, misogynist, nazis. My point was that calling him a racist, misogynist, nazi is unlikely to attract undecided black, feminist, communists.

  20. #50
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure he has many supporters who are not racist, misogynist, nazis. My point was that calling him a racist, misogynist, nazi is unlikely to attract undecided black, feminist, communists.
    Or people with half decent morals.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  21. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is where I am. It’s actually quite embarrassing watching news outlets giving him no credit when they’d have been fawning over Obama if this had happened on his watch.
    Except that's not true. Obama or Bush could easily have met with the leader of NK. North Korea want to be seen as an equivalent, a player on the world stage. Trump gave them exactly what they wanted and for nothing in return. It was a phot op, nothing more.

    Seeing their flags draped next to the US's will go down in history as a national embarrassment. All for a vague statement which achieves nothing like what Trump and his camp proposed as success. Statements from NK that are virtually identical to ones they've reneged on in the past 15 years.

    As for the media, it's almost the exact opposite

    https://mobile.twitter.com/mud_made1...222720/video/1

  22. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calling him that just drives people to him.

    Economy booming, record low unemployment amongst black and hispanic groups, talking the talk on the international stage, taking on everyone on trade barriers, historic meeting with NK, he's nailing it and the only response is to call him a Nazi.
    So basically a strong economy, most of which can be attributed to Obama

    Trumps tax cuts aren't good for the economy. Trade wars will be disastrous despite his tough guy rhetoric

  23. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its pretty funny when alot of hollywood/the press call him these names when he become president and never before he ran-became president... funny that !!
    and it is pretty funny in regards these *celebs* whom claimed they would move elsewhere if he won,...sadly i dont think any did...?
    Like him or not he made pledges and imo he is atleast keeping with them is all you can expect from ANY politician- i do wonder how many of politicans can claim to do as they pledge?
    and I would love one of these hollywood millonaires to get of there you know what and run for president if they think they can do better..WILL any do that? course not!
    What is it you think he's delivered that he pledged?

    Has he drained the swamp?

    Have Mexico paid for any walls recently?

    Has he solved the opioid crisis? Has Jared Kushner delivered peace in the Middle East?

  24. #54
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Trump's a whacko but, sometimes you need a whacko.
    But not this one though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved