hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cecil Graham RIP

Club secretary from 1971-1996

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    That's a name from the past but by association, I'll always remember him as "Hibs Secretary"

RIP Sir.

Coaching Staff
    Remember him for a variety of reasons, not the least that his name always appeared in the programmes of the 60’s onwards.

Also have 2 Paddington Bears in Hibs colours that I bought in 1982.....served by no less than the secretary himself....

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    His signature was in all the old Season Ticket books. RIP
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    When we were young teenagers my friends and I sent a letter to Hibs about various stuff - why the terracing wasn't covered, why the club didn't offer cheap bus travel to away games, etc.

We received a very friendly and detailed reply from Cecil Graham where he answered each of our points which made us feel valued as supporters.

He also served me a couple of times in the old shop under the main stand.

RIP Cecil - a real gent.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When we were young teenagers my friends and I sent a letter to Hibs about various stuff - why the terracing wasn't covered, why the club didn't offer cheap bus travel to away games, etc.

We received a very friendly and detailed reply from Cecil Graham where he answered each of our points which made us feel valued as supporters.

RIP Cecil - a real gent.
    RIP Cecil

Like many Hibs players and staff of the time was a member of Longniddry Golf Club when it was still a proper links course and in great condition.

He was a very nice man (as were they all to be honest) to a star struck Hibs daft laddie

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

RIP Cecil - a real gent.

Ah, the old club shop under the main stand. Probably made as much in a year as the new shop makes in a week.

R.I.P Cecil, always remembered as THE Secretary of Hibernian Football Club

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post
    Club secretary from 1971-1996
    A true gentleman and loyal to the Hibernian cause!

RIP Cecil

I heard him say one of the best line ever, when talking about Hibs, the club were in the processing of appointing a manager and he stated that the appointment would have to take the Club, "to its rightful place at the very top of Scottish football". Staunch supporter of the club - RIP.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    I heard him say one of the best line ever, when talking about Hibs, the club were in the processing of appointing a manager and he stated that the appointment would have to take the Club, "to its rightful place at the very top of Scottish football". Staunch supporter of the club - RIP.
    What a great line that is. RIP Cecil.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Remember him for a variety of reasons, not the least that his name always appeared in the programmes of the 60’s onwards.

Also have 2 Paddington Bears in Hibs colours that I bought in 1982.....served by no less than the secretary himself....
    I have just the one Hibs Paddington Bear from 1980, also served by the secretary himself.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Ah, the old club shop under the main stand. Probably made as much in a year as the new shop makes in a week.

R.I.P Cecil, always remembered as THE Secretary of Hibernian Football Club
    He certainly will. That club shop was immense. Only about 6-8 things you could buy but still.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What a great line that is. RIP Cecil.
    Indeed. Very best wishes to his loved ones.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    A very good Hibby, and great servant to our Club

RIP Cecil

GGTTH

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    Who became manager?

His name was a constant thing throughout my time as a young hibs fan. Seems to have been a fantastic servant to the club he loved.

Sad times for his family.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    His name was a constant thing throughout my time as a young hibs fan. Seems to have been a fantastic servant to the club he loved.

Sad times for his family.
    Same here. Seemed like he was secretary forever when I was growing up.

RIP to a great servant of Hibernian Football Club.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post

I recognised his name immediately, If anyone had asked me who we was I would have replied "Hibs Secretary" had no idea he retired so long ago.

A fine man from all accounts, never had the pleasure of meeting him unfortunately.

condolences to his family.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Who became manager?
    It was Alex Miller. I know a lot of the journalists found him difficult, particularly Archie McPherson. I always had a very high opinion of him but when I heard McPherson personally attack him, my opinion went even higher. He alongside Tom Hart always defended Hibs. Hibs through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    That's a name from the past but by association, I'll always remember him as "Hibs Secretary"

RIP Sir.

Correct, GB. I knew Cecil, although not intimately, through a mutual friend.

He was always immaculately turned out, and had a quiet assurance about him, and you never heard him swear once.

The very epitome of "Hibs Class".

At the height of the takeover fervour of 1990 a few of us spoke to him in the Hibs club about our fears for the future of the team; he said to me: "We've been lower than this before son, don't worry about Mercer, we'll see him off".

Cecil, I tip my hat to you sir.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Only met him a couple of times, true gentleman and a true hibernian man. Rip.

Coaching Staff

RIP Cecil - a real gent.
    What a lovely story😊

A real gent. When we changed out season ticket seats he took my pal up to the stand and walked back and forth to see which would have a good view. Made getting the tickets easy for bus load of us going to Sochaux away game. Couldn't have been more helpful on many other occasions. Was a real miss when he retired.
    RIP and condolences to Marie and family

Met him once after the 8-1 mauling of Killie in the late 70s/early80s (cannae mind eg auld fart) in the old shop.

My auld boy thought he had won £1,000 on a scratch card the club sold, but a number under the thing you scratch off was different from the one printed on it.. Cecil was astounded - maybe even embarrassed - but a gent and very apologetic.

RIP.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    The title Club Secretary hid the vast amount of work he did behind the scenes, albeit things were a bit simpler in those days. I had the good fortune to deal with him for a number of years and always found him to be a total gentleman.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Hibs v Leeds 73/74. I had queued in front of the old main stand for tickets from the early hours for my old man and me only to reach the hut to be told that Under 16s weren't being served. I was completely distraught.
    A postman bloke who had queued all morning behind me wasn't having it and dragged me up to the offices in the Centre Stand where he was planning to take his rage out on whoever we met. Luckily we met Mr Graham. He placated my saviour and gave me my two Centre Stand seats (for the face value, naturally). He also went into a cupboard and gave me a pair of club crested cuff links.
    An unforgettable day for this young man and its in later life I think I realise never thanked him enough. (Or the postie).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Hibs v Leeds 73/74. I had queued in front of the old main stand for tickets from the early hours for my old man and me only to reach the hut to be told that Under 16s weren't being served. I was completely distraught.
    A postman bloke who had queued all morning behind me wasn't having it and dragged me up to the offices in the Centre Stand where he was planning to take his rage out on whoever we met. Luckily we met Mr Graham. He placated my saviour and gave me my two Centre Stand seats (for the face value, naturally). He also went into a cupboard and gave me a pair of club crested cuff links.
    An unforgettable day for this young man and its in later life I think I realise never thanked him enough. (Or the postie).
    Lovely story.

Coaching Staff
    Another lovely story 😊

Great story, S and sums up CG perfectly. As others have said he put a huge amount of work into making sure Hibs ran smoothly and he'll be greatly missed.

RIP Cecil
    This is how it feels

A straight shooter to be sure.

But was it Cecil or Ceecil? The press favoured the latter.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Love reading anecdotes like this.

Hadn’t appreciated the length of time he was club secretary. A very decent man by all accounts and a great servant to our club.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Cecil Graham was a brilliant Secretary for our Club. Very hard working, efficient, and as honest as the day is long.

He had the letters F.A.A.I. after his name which I think was a Fellow of the Administrative Accountants Institute ( Crops will keep me right ) and I think he worked for the Accountants who compiled Hibs accounts before being head-hunted to become Club secretary.

RIP , Cecil.