hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Got tickets for the South Africa game in 2 weeks. Can’t wait!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Watching the Fiji game on TV. There are lines of beer bottles along the trackside wall. Folk swigging away quite happily. Seems a world apart.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Very good performance from Scotland today, 2nd half especially. Watching this Scotland rugby team is an absolute pleasure compared to the national football team who are an abysmal joke!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Fantastic atmosphere coming across from Murrayfield today, it was great to see a capacity crowd v Fiji. The marketing guys hard work is starting to pay off and we have every reason to be optimistic about the future performances of our national team.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 10-11-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Went yesterday. Scotland really clinical and seem to have eliminated errors from their game.

SA next week will be a big test for them. Will be close that one. Looking forward to going.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Anyone been or going to Vegas for the 7’s on Feb/March?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went yesterday. Scotland really clinical and seem to have eliminated errors from their game.

SA next week will be a big test for them. Will be close that one. Looking forward to going.
    Clinical second half thought first half they looked defensively poor and Fiji scored with pretty much any attack they had.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Clinical second half thought first half they looked defensively poor and Fiji scored with pretty much any attack they had.
    The tries they scored did indeed look easy, but it was individual errors rather than the entire defense being inept. It made such a difference to us (from the Wales game last week) having Finn, Hoggy and Laidlaw back in the fold.

The South Africa game will be an excellent test for us this weekend, and I'm looking forward to experiencing another "lights out" game at Murrayfield. Hopefully we can continue from where we left off in the second half on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    The tries they scored did indeed look easy, but it was individual errors rather than the entire defense being inept. It made such a difference to us (from the Wales game last week) having Finn, Hoggy and Laidlaw back in the fold.

The South Africa game will be an excellent test for us this weekend, and I'm looking forward to experiencing another "lights out" game at Murrayfield. Hopefully we can continue from where we left off in the second half on Saturday.
    Think it will be a great game. Really enjoy watching Scotland at the moment, great style of play and some amazing players. Thought Russell's passing was excellent on Saturday.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think it will be a great game. Really enjoy watching Scotland at the moment, great style of play and some amazing players. Thought Russell's passing was excellent on Saturday.
    I’m also looking forward to the South Africa game. Going to be an excellent match against a team that has regained its form and confidence after the dismal Allister Coetzee reign. The atmosphere on a Saturday night game is always a cracking experience! New Zealand game from last year stands out for me as one of the best along with the England 6 Nations game this year.

Since Finn Russell’s move to Racing 92, his game has come on leaps and bounds. He was signed to replace All Blacks legend Dan Carter who has moved to Japan and from what I’ve seen he doesn’t look out of place in that French League at all. Saturdays performance showed he looks a more mature player and is only going to get better and better I feel.

Also Stuart Hogg has signed for Exeter after the World Cup next year and the Chiefs play a very similar entertaining style of rugby to this Scotland team. They have been lacking a world class number 15 for quite some time and the signing of Hoggy should fill that huge problem position. Hoggy will excel down there as Exeter’s rugby is a joy to watch at times in the Premiership. With the addition of Hogg, I feel it is only going to get better for the Chiefs and it will also make Hoggy an even better player similar to what Finn’s move to France has done.

The future is bright for our national team 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Last edited by hfc rd; 14-11-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Put it like this, I've more enthusiastic about watching our national rugby union team than the current national fitba team!

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Put it like this, I've more enthusiastic about watching our national rugby union team than the current national fitba team!

100% agree. It’s not even comparable. You are bonkers if you think otherwise.

Our national football team is a joke and shows no signs of improving. I won’t even be surprised if they get turned over by both Albania and Israel.

Also look at the desire, hunger and pride these rugby lads have/show when they pull on that Scotland shirt. They are proud to wear it and always give it their all till the final whistle. Something you can’t say about our national football team players.

Brilliant first half, great entertainment. Springboks with a narrow half time lead but I'm confident we can get a result. Russell at fly half is the great enigma, unfortunately he's not having the best of games tonight.(So far!)

Brilliant first half, great entertainment. Springboks with a narrow half time lead but I'm confident we can get a result. Russell at fly half is the great enigma, unfortunately he's not having the best of games tonight.(So far!)
    Russell has been pish. Entertaining match with some great play

Quite enjoyed the egg chasing today as a one off change to the football. But does anyone think that new Zealand haka is now just an over dramatic bit of theatre. Suppose it always has been but even the Irish crowd were getting bored with how long it took.

Deserved 26-20 win for the bocks in the end . They totally controlled the second half but Scotland were their own worst enemy on occasions.

What a match in Dublin. Irish in front.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Just back home. Probably got what we deserved out of the match - nothing. So many stupid penalties given away at crucial points in the game. I thought we lost an edge when Hogg and Laidlaw went off, but still felt like we were just a couple of plays away from finding a gap.

They're an excellent team though and won't be far off the pace at the World Cup next year. They're both fast and powerful.

What a great atmosphere though, and what an excellent buzz there was in town after the match - South Africa and Scotland fans all readily mingling with no sniff of trouble. Another great matchday experience.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    What a match in Dublin. Irish in front.
    Great game. Ireland were excellent.

Deserved 26-20 win for the bocks in the end . They totally controlled the second half but Scotland were their own worst enemy on occasions.

Yeah we we didn’t do ourselves any favours at times. Also felt the ref let them away with a lot of spoiling in the rucks, which was their main tactic in slowing down Scotland, meaning we struggled to get the ball out to our dangerous runners. His interpretation of the scrum was poor as well.

That said, their yellow card was very harsh

Does anyone else think that Laidlaw is really slow getting the ball out? At times yesterday it seemed he always waited an extra second or 2.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Does anyone else think that Laidlaw is really slow getting the ball out? At times yesterday it seemed he always waited an extra second or 2.

i did find myself shouting at the screen a few times telling him to speed it up a bit always going to be very difficult against a team that beat the all-blacks in their own backyard, finn russell guilty of kicking a few poor kicks this time around, i was a tad puzzled why the commentator thought SA would possibly suffer when their player got sin-binned as i couldn't see us going through them in the 2nd half even if they went TWO players down, indeed it was SA themselves that scored with another two penalties(i think) in the period the guy was off, as for Ireland...i've thought for the last couple of seasons that they can win the WC next year, just a pity we happen to be in the same group as them along with the hosts japan(again) and of course the samoans(again) who we only just scraped past in the last WC

Ive thought for a long time that laidlaw’s best attribute is his leadership and calmness in the moment. His service from the ruck is quite slow, there’s always a noticeable difference when Price is playing, he’s much faster at getting the ball out, giving Russell et al that extra split second to do something.

@hibs.net private member
    everyone does. He’s in to take the easy kicks form around 40m. Other than that he doesn’t add too much to the team.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 19-11-2018 at 03:35 PM.

VERY exciting looking backline for the Argentina game! Be interesting to see how Hastings and Russell go together. It was a good wee cameo against Fiji but game was already won. If they are all firing on Saturday then there could be fireworks! Would have been good to see either Price or Horne at 9 but I guess GT wants at least one old head to offer some control.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    VERY exciting looking backline for the Argentina game! Be interesting to see how Hastings and Russell go together. It was a good wee cameo against Fiji but game was already won. If they are all firing on Saturday then there could be fireworks! Would have been good to see either Price or Horne at 9 but I guess GT wants at least one old head to offer some control.
    The 12 is seen as the "creative" centre and the 13 is the power usually so should be good to see Russell slot in there.

The 12 is seen as the "creative" centre and the 13 is the power usually so should be good to see Russell slot in there.
    It's normally the other way round to be honest, a power guy doing crash balls at 12, with 13 a bit more creative. Although recently at international level particularly some teams have switched the two players around and have two creative players at 10 and 12 and then a power guy at 13. If I'm remembering correctly it was started by England with Wilkinson and Catt and has continued with Ford and Farrell.

It is generally a solution for teams whose best players are both in the same position at 10 and you don't want to leave someone out, so it makes sense given Hastings is in good form to give it a shot for Scotland.

Russell is a much better 10 than Horne, so in theory he should be a better 12 as well. Doesn't always work like that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    It's normally the other way round to be honest, a power guy doing crash balls at 12, with 13 a bit more creative. Although recently at international level particularly some teams have switched the two players around and have two creative players at 10 and 12 and then a power guy at 13. If I'm remembering correctly it was started by England with Wilkinson and Catt and has continued with Ford and Farrell.

It is generally a solution for teams whose best players are both in the same position at 10 and you don't want to leave someone out, so it makes sense given Hastings is in good form to give it a shot for Scotland.

Russell is a much better 10 than Horne, so in theory he should be a better 12 as well. Doesn't always work like that though.
    Yeah I was thinking about Farrell in at 12. Wales played Roberts at 12 usually thinking about it so you are right there.

Well that wasn't a classic! Though I was better off being at Murrayfield than ER by the sounds of it. Conditions obviously didn't help but fair to say the Hastings/Russell experiment didn't work today.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    We won but it wasn’t really a good performance. Defensively we did well in preventing the Argentines from getting near our try line. However we offered very little, in fact hardly anything, offensively. The number of penalties we were conceding and the mistakes we were making was absolutely making me very annoyed and angry. Just glad the Argentina player who was taking the pens for them didn’t have his shooting boots on. A better team would have punished us heavily today. Townsend will not be happy with that.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 24-11-2018 at 08:01 PM.