hibs.net Messageboard

Page 104 of 114 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3399

Thread: Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JPR Williams has passed away. A real rugby icon from my childhood.
    A man about whom the word ‘Legend’ is wholly appropriately

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    JPR Williams has passed away. A real rugby icon from my childhood.
    Fantastic player and magnificent sideburns. Pretty sure he was a doctor. RIP

An incredible player in his day. One of the very very best.

Yes was definitely a Dr too. Used to get told about how good he was when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Fantastic player and magnificent sideburns. Pretty sure he was a doctor. RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    An incredible player in his day. One of the very very best.

Yes was definitely a Dr too. Used to get told about how good he was when I was a kid.

An orthopaedic surgeon. Also continued to play rugby for his local club for a long time after retiring

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    An orthopaedic surgeon. Also continued to play rugby for his local club for a long time after retiring
    He also won the British Junior Tennis Championships and could have turned pro but his dad was an amateur sports aficionado and told him being a professional sportsman wasn't a proper job.
    Last edited by He's here!; 09-01-2024 at 10:12 PM.

He also won the British Junior Tennis Championships and could have turned pro but his dad was an amateur sports aficionado and told him being a professional sportsman wasn't a proper job.

Yep, a very talented man

RL fan here. Watched last 5 mins of Exeter v Glasgow on ITV other day.

Big call made at the end of the game? I'm not sure about scrums but for me the player made an error and Glasgow scored. Feels like video ref and the actual ref was desperate to check absolutely everything to find an issue to disallow the try.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Grant Gilchrist suspended for the Six Nations opener in Wales for picking up two yellow cards in the one game for Edinburgh, missed the last two games in last seasons Six nations also due to suspension.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Grant Gilchrist suspended for the Six Nations opener in Wales for picking up two yellow cards in the one game for Edinburgh, missed the last two games in last seasons Six nations also due to suspension.
    Seems odd he should miss an international game for two yellows in domestic game appreciate would be different if straight red for violent conduct

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Seems odd he should miss an international game for two yellows in domestic game appreciate would be different if straight red for violent conduct
    In rugby it is just banned from playing. Regardless if the competition. I remember when a sending off meant that you weren't even allowed to train or enter your clubhouse. I m that old!!

Anyone off to Cardiff this weekend? We are off on Friday morning, flying to London and then train to Cardiff.

Quietly very confident about the result - Scotland superior all over the park, all about forgetting the history of Cardiff and turning up on the day.

We leave Alloa Town Hall at 7am on Thursday. 40 of us from Alloa Rugby Club on a cultural exchange!! Heading to Swansea as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    We leave Alloa Town Hall at 7am on Thursday. 40 of us from Alloa Rugby Club on a cultural exchange!! Heading to Swansea as usual.

Haha! That sounds like some trip! Enjoy mate!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    And here's me thinking that the great Welsh weekend invasions (both ways) were fast becoming a thing of the past

👍🍻

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Haha! That sounds like some trip! Enjoy mate!
    Yip, off to Italy with my wife in a few weeks too. Completely different trips!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    And here's me thinking that the great Welsh weekend invasions (both ways) were fast becoming a thing of the past

👍🍻
    Nah, obviously not so much as it was. No crowds of 100,000+ anymore but there will still be 10 to 15,000 down in Wales and they will bring up the same or more to Murrayfield

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Really looking forward to the tournament starting. I love this time of year. 6 nations, days getting longer, spring bulbs and gardens coming back to life.

Wales should be beatable.

We’ve been watching Full Contact on Netflix, first episode is Scotland and the Finn Russell show.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Really looking forward to the tournament starting. I love this time of year. 6 nations, days getting longer, spring bulbs and gardens coming back to life.

Wales should be beatable.

We’ve been watching Full Contact on Netflix, first episode is Scotland and the Finn Russell show.
    Agree Wales are beatable. Usually I try to convince myself of Scotland wins - 'if we can keep it close into the last 20 mins', 'if our scrum can hold up ok', 'if Finn turns up on the day'. Not this time, we are simply a more settled and better team than them, as last years result showed. That doesn't mean we win but the only reason I see us losing is if we basically bottle it. Having been at Twickenham last year, and seeing the other hoodoo's that have been broken away from home in recent times - I think we need to trust the players to deliver a result. Can't wait to get down there on Friday morning, this week has dragged belong belief!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Agree Wales are beatable. Usually I try to convince myself of Scotland wins - 'if we can keep it close into the last 20 mins', 'if our scrum can hold up ok', 'if Finn turns up on the day'. Not this time, we are simply a more settled and better team than them, as last years result showed. That doesn't mean we win but the only reason I see us losing is if we basically bottle it. Having been at Twickenham last year, and seeing the other hoodoo's that have been broken away from home in recent times - I think we need to trust the players to deliver a result. Can't wait to get down there on Friday morning, this week has dragged belong belief!
    Agree with all of this - but that road through Dublin to potentially win it removes any hope I have. We're capable of beating Wales away, England and France at home, Italy away...I just don't see how we deal with Ireland in their own back yard. OK, they're a changed side vs last year with some players retiring (most notably Sexton) but they're such a formidable opponent, I just can't see it...especially after the humbling we got in the World Cup!

Looking forward to this opening weekend though - heading to the Fox and Faun in the West End for Saturday's games!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Agree with all of this - but that road through Dublin to potentially win it removes any hope I have. We're capable of beating Wales away, England and France at home, Italy away...I just don't see how we deal with Ireland in their own back yard. OK, they're a changed side vs last year with some players retiring (most notably Sexton) but they're such a formidable opponent, I just can't see it...especially after the humbling we got in the World Cup!

Looking forward to this opening weekend though - heading to the Fox and Faun in the West End for Saturday's games!
    I agree on Ireland but they have to go to France on Friday night, so a loss to them in Dublin might not be fatal for Scotland. Anyway, probably getting ahead of ourselves here, it’s Scotland after all!😂 Let’s see what the weekend brings but I’m travelling in expectation as opposed to my usual hope/blind optimism.

Enjoy the games mate, hopefully we can get ahead of ourselves again on Saturday night 👍

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I agree on Ireland but they have to go to France on Friday night, so a loss to them in Dublin might not be fatal for Scotland. Anyway, probably getting ahead of ourselves here, it’s Scotland after all!😂 Let’s see what the weekend brings but I’m travelling in expectation as opposed to my usual hope/blind optimism.

Enjoy the games mate, hopefully we can get ahead of ourselves again on Saturday night 👍
    I am hoping France hand them a heavy defeat (as if that scenario does play out, points will be a deciding factor), but you're right, knowing Scotland it could just as easily be over by 7pm on Saturday night . Like you though, I'm optimistic we can go to Cardiff this weekend and win. I almost ended up getting tickets and heading down but decided against it at the last minute - it's one away trip I'm keen to make with Scotland, as I'd love to hear the atmosphere of the Principality one day - the Welsh are probably the least obnoxious of the other Six Nations' fans.

Enjoy the trip! Hope you're partying well into Saturday night.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    22 years(11 attempts) since Scotland last won in Cardiff

get it sorted Foley
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 02-02-2024 at 02:36 PM.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I'm not a massive Rugby fan but i do enjoy Rugby when it's the 6 nations , Scotland are favourites to win in Wales tomorrow ! WOW !! i thought Wales were one of the best teams in the world

France getting ripped a new one here so far, 3-15.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    France getting ripped a new one here so far, 3-15.
    France down to 14 players.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    France down to 14 players.
    Ooft... uphill struggle for them now

Second yellow for France, can’t remember seeing that before but it’s not good!

Getting pumped as well.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Brilliant from France.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Try in injury time brings it back to 10-17.

Blog Entries
    France were incredibly slow getting into the game but, even down to 14, I think they’re in a position to give Ireland a game in the second half. I think Ireland will hold on to win but they could have been out of sight, given their possession and dominance in the first half. Great game for the neutral.