hibs.net Messageboard

Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114
Results 3,391 to 3,397 of 3397

Thread: Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68609875

Following on from the thread on the main forum about law changes folk would like to see in football, what's the one change you'd like to see introduced in rugby?
    For me it's the laws around the "use it" call at rucks - with the purpose of speeding things up.
    The ref to call "use it" as soon as the ball is visible and playable; once called, no-one else (from either side) can join the ruck; referee the 5-second use time strictly, or reduce it to 3-seconds if refs are going to continue to be lenient on the count.
    Doing this would not only make rucks quicker, but also more competitive, with counter rucking becoming more of an opportunity to regain possession, or at least disrupt your opponents, rather than not committing players to a ruck, and just letting the opposition take their time to set themselves for a kick from the often double-extended base.

Interesting post, I like your change.

I think I would change scrum penalties to free kicks. It feels in certain situations that teams aren’t actually trying to restart the game, but just trying to get the ref to give a penalty, which can take minutes off the clock, and be boring to watch. The free kick still gives a team the opportunity to get things going again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68609875

Following on from the thread on the main forum about law changes folk would like to see in football, what's the one change you'd like to see introduced in rugby?
    For me it's the laws around the "use it" call at rucks - with the purpose of speeding things up.
    The ref to call "use it" as soon as the ball is visible and playable; once called, no-one else (from either side) can join the ruck; referee the 5-second use time strictly, or reduce it to 3-seconds if refs are going to continue to be lenient on the count.
    Doing this would not only make rucks quicker, but also more competitive, with counter rucking becoming more of an opportunity to regain possession, or at least disrupt your opponents, rather than not committing players to a ruck, and just letting the opposition take their time to set themselves for a kick from the often double-extended base.
    Yeah that's super frustrating. I'd go as far as to rule that you can't have more than 1 "layer" of players from either side in the ruck, so no binding onto a player in front of you from your own team.

I'm not a forward so I've no idea if this would work or not.

Also, get rid of the "dupont law" and make the kick chase team retreat until the kicker or someone who was behind the kicker is past them before they can engage the receiving team. This 5m or 5 steps stuff is silly and just means the kick chase team don't have to make any effort to retreat and gives too much of an advantage to the kicking team.

Advantage. It goes on far too long

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Advantage. It goes on far too long

It does, and very often the defending side gives away another penalty to stop the “free ball” attack. I’d make it an automatic yellow card for any penalty offence during the playing of advantage.

It does, and very often the defending side gives away another penalty to stop the “free ball” attack. I’d make it an automatic yellow card for any penalty offence during the playing of advantage.
    I agree that's an issue, but I'm not sure more yellow cards is the answer tbh. I don't know what is correct for this.

Maybe, once you move the ball x yards it's over or x number of passes. As it is you have teams having endless time to score then pulled back for a penalty. Double advantage.

Maybe for the penalty within advantage move the penalty forward 10 yards or something.

Either way, you're right, both need looked at.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    flicked over to see the HT score between Glasgow and Cardiff, 13-0 Cardiff

FT 17-13 not a very good Glasgow line-out tonight
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 02-04-2024 at 08:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Sam Whitelock retiring in june, great career he's had and New Zealand's most capped player played in a few great all-black sides