hibs.net Messageboard

Page 113 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3399

Thread: Rugby

Excellent defensive performance today from the boys just that little bit short again. Ireland put the foot to the floor in the first 20 minutes of the second half and that ultimately was the difference.

If Townsend is to continue in his post he needs to find a way to turn these 1-4 point deficits into wins & to bring through youth as we are severely lacking there unfortunately.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    elsewhere WRU Chief Executive Abi Tierney turns down Warren Gatlands resignation offer

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not convinced at all that Porters try should have be given, considering the buggering about over the grounding for the previous penalty.
    it was even less a try than the first one. Looked like the ref was going to give it regardless, he didnt have a clear view either.

4th behind a terrible England side.

Really poor campaign all things considered. Townsends position really should be under consideration.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    it was even less a try than the first one. Looked like the ref was going to give it regardless, he didnt have a clear view either.
    Yep. Just because you power over the line at speed doesn't mean it's always a try. Absolutely no way the ref could see the "grounding", and on one (brief) replay it looked like there was a hand under the ball. Scotland done again by a bad ref decision. But for that, the France "no try" call, and the ref blowing for time in Rome when there was clearly no knock-on, then Scotland could have been 5 from 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post

Really poor campaign all things considered. Townsends position really should be under consideration.

Nonsense. Hugely unlucky with the results.

First Team Breakthrough Sloop67's Avatar
    It doesn't matter who the coach is if the players can't do the basics, the first try yesterday was shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    he's not got control of that

they desperately wanted to give them it though inc the co-commentator

still 10-6

fgs do the basics

The Irish co-commentator gets the prize for biggest hypocrite. Throughout the match was asking for every decision for Ireland, then when Scott Hastings commented saying he didn’t think the disallowed try was grounded, the Irish guy immediately snaps ‘of course you don’t’.

He was almost as bad as Jonathan Davies is for the Welsh on bbc

The ref gave the try from behind the Irish players, who had piled in with the ball carrier, must have been at lest 6 bodies between the ref and the ball, yet he blew up instantly for the try. He had less of a view than the one prior that was eventually proven to be held up, to which he claimed he lost sight of.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Nonsense. Hugely unlucky with the results.
    How long is it bad luck?

We're often under prepared. We play one half or often play well for 10 mins and look awful the rest. We never win big games.

You can blame refs (and I don't think they've been up to anything) as much as you want. Townsend has taken scotland as far as he can.

How long is it bad luck?

We're often under prepared. We play one half or often play well for 10 mins and look awful the rest. We never win big games.

You can blame refs (and I don't think they've been up to anything) as much as you want. Townsend has taken scotland as far as he can.

Im not the most knowledgeable, but ive watched every game this campaign and we deserved to beat France and did beat England, the teams immediately above us in the table. The only team clearly better than us in the northern hemisphere is Ireland, who are having the best success of their entire history in the sport! So he must be doing something right surely?

Im not the most knowledgeable, but ive watched every game this campaign and we deserved to beat France and did beat England, the teams immediately above us in the table. The only team clearly better than us in the northern hemisphere is Ireland, who are having the best success of their entire history in the sport! So he must be doing something right surely?
    We didn't beat France.
    We failed to beat Italy
    We scraped a win after being up 27 points on Wales.

We were unlucky with the decision against France. I accept that.

He's done a lot right. However, he's taken us as far as he can. Yet again it's a 4th place finish.

We didn't beat France.
    We failed to beat Italy
    We scraped a win after being up 27 points on Wales.

We were unlucky with the decision against France. I accept that.

He's done a lot right. However, he's taken us as far as he can. Yet again it's a 4th place finish.

There’s a lot to be positive about, when we are switched on, we are excellent at attacking, our broken play attacks are outstanding generally, when we need to we can dig in in defence and shut a team out.

However, we also have frequent lapses in concentration and execution, we are prone to periods of conceding penalty after penalty, and we rarely play for 80+ minutes.

I wonder if the answer may be to bring in assistant coaches to address the shortcomings, whilst still maintaining GT’s positive aspects - or finding a top class coach who will take this team on and push into the next level

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    There’s a lot to be positive about, when we are switched on, we are excellent at attacking, our broken play attacks are outstanding generally, when we need to we can dig in in defence and shut a team out.

However, we also have frequent lapses in concentration and execution, we are prone to periods of conceding penalty after penalty, and we rarely play for 80+ minutes.

I wonder if the answer may be to bring in assistant coaches to address the shortcomings, whilst still maintaining GT’s positive aspects - or finding a top class coach who will take this team on and push into the next level
    I think it's time to move on. He's brought in different coaches and he's tried various players in different roles. I just think it's time to try a new voice.

We've under achieved with this squad. 1999 is a long time ago. Worryingly, the future doesn't look bright with the 20s. We're relying on more and more foreign born players.

The games not in a great condition in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

We have one already.
    Who is on your long list of better top class coaches who have a proven record at International level? Or do you want to take a gamble on an inexperienced coach with potential who can talk a good game at an interview, as Hibs have done more times than we all care to remember these last few years?

I think it's time to move on. He's brought in different coaches and he's tried various players in different roles. I just think it's time to try a new voice.

We've under achieved with this squad. 1999 is a long time ago. Worryingly, the future doesn't look bright with the 20s. We're relying on more and more foreign born players.

The games not in a great condition in Scotland.

That's one thing you've said that I won't disagree with.

Knowledgeable enough.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Yep. Just because you power over the line at speed doesn't mean it's always a try. Absolutely no way the ref could see the "grounding", and on one (brief) replay it looked like there was a hand under the ball. Scotland done again by a bad ref decision. But for that, the France "no try" call, and the ref blowing for time in Rome when there was clearly no knock-on, then Scotland could have been 5 from 5.
    Yes fine margins and competitive in every game

Totally agree

How long is it bad luck?

You can't blame refs? We were cheated out of a winning try v France where there was clear footage showing the grounding.

We have one already.
    Who is on your long list of better top class coaches who have a proven record at International level? Or do you want to take a gamble on an inexperienced coach with potential who can talk a good game at an interview, as Hibs have done more times than we all care to remember these last few years?

Easy, I was asking a question, I didn’t advocate for moving on or for keeping Townsend, and I’m still not doing either.

As others have said, there are a number of problems with rugby in Scotland, the lack of success at senior international level is just one. We have had the best group of players in a long time over the last 5 or so years, but have continually struggled to take the next step in achieving something tangible. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that a conversation about the coaching and leadership of that group happens. You feel differently, fair enough

England aren't terrible. They beat Ireland and were unlucky not to beat France. As Italy have shown, there's less between most of the sides now. Had we been awarded the try we should have been against France we'd have been right in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    You can't blame refs? We were cheated out of a winning try v France where there was clear footage showing the grounding.
    Not every time.

The France game was disgraceful. However, prior to that it was a pathetic game of rugby.

Not every time.

The France game was disgraceful. However, prior to that it was a pathetic game of rugby.

I thought this report has some good analysis. 10 of the 15 games having points decided by 4 points or fewer is a good stat as testament to how close it all was.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/18/six-nations-rugby-union-ireland-france-england-scotland-wales-italy

# Team Points
    1 South Africa 94.54
    2 Ireland 90.69
    3 New Zealand 89.80
    4 France 87.92 (+0.60)
    5 England 85.75 (-0.60)
    6 Scotland 82.82
    7 Argentina 80.68
    8 (↑9) Italy 79.41 (+1.36)
    9 (↑10) Australia 77.48
    10 (↓8) Wales 77.26 (-1.36)
    11 Fiji 76.38
    12 Japan 74.27
    13 Georgia 74.02 (+1.34)
    14 Samoa 72.23
    15 (↑16) Tonga 71.57
    16 (↓15) Portugal 70.28 (-1.34)
    17 USA 67.94
    18 Uruguay 67.39
    19 Spain 64.37 (+0.91)
    20 Romania 61.66 (-0.91)

Autumn nations fixtures starting in Nov..

v Fiji
    v South Africa
    v Portugal
    v Australia

So post 6NC, if a Lions squad was being picked now, which Scots would make it?
    In my eyes:
    DEFINITES
    Kinghorn as a utility back with his versatility to cover 15, 11, 10
    VDM
    Tuipoluto
    Russell
    Turner

PROBABLE
    Jones
    Z Fagerson

POSSIBLE
    White
    Schooo
    Dempsey/Christie

On March 19th 1938, 83 years ago, the BBC broadcast the first ‘Six Nations’ game in which Scotland, captained by Wilson Shaw, beat Herbert Toft’s English side 21-16.
    Then known as the Home Nations Championships, before France and Italy made it the Six Nations, Scotland were poised to win the Calcutta Cup and Triple Crown along with the trophy.
    And whilst the audience was limited, with under 10,000 television sets in the UK and transmission confined to London, it caused a landslide of sporting firsts.

So post 6NC, if a Lions squad was being picked now, which Scots would make it?
    In my eyes:
    DEFINITES
    Kinghorn as a utility back with his versatility to cover 15, 11, 10
    VDM
    Tuipoluto
    Russell
    Turner

PROBABLE
    Jones
    Z Fagerson

POSSIBLE
    White
    Schooo
    Dempsey/Christie
    Finn
    Jones
    Toup
    VDM
    White
    Zander Fagerson

Not sure they will but they'd be my picks. Ben White is outstanding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68609875

Following on from the thread on the main forum about law changes folk would like to see in football, what's the one change you'd like to see introduced in rugby?
    For me it's the laws around the "use it" call at rucks - with the purpose of speeding things up.
    The ref to call "use it" as soon as the ball is visible and playable; once called, no-one else (from either side) can join the ruck; referee the 5-second use time strictly, or reduce it to 3-seconds if refs are going to continue to be lenient on the count.
    Doing this would not only make rucks quicker, but also more competitive, with counter rucking becoming more of an opportunity to regain possession, or at least disrupt your opponents, rather than not committing players to a ruck, and just letting the opposition take their time to set themselves for a kick from the often double-extended base.