hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy

a new challenger approaches

A few folk, myself included thought it was only a matter of time before one of the big streaming services dipped their toes into broadcasting premiership games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44396151

More fragmentation across services is a nuisance for those who subscribe to various services but I feel more competition for premiership rights can benefit Scottish football coverage.
    Last edited by CMac1988; 07-06-2018 at 11:06 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by CMac1988 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few folk, myself included thought it was only a matter of time before one of the big streaming services dipped their toes into broadcasting premiership games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44396151

More fragmentation across services is a nuisance for those who subscribe to various services but I feel more competition for premiership rights can benefit Scottish football coverage.

Amazon however are in my view a threat to all our futures. If ever a giganto-monopoly needed regulation and restricting they are absolutely it.

Make no mistake, Amazon want to be the world's shop for everything. They also want to be the delivery system for that everything and they want to control who can sell what, at what price and in what volume.

Their operating practices on their own platform are a gruesome mixture of keystone cops, ruthless, innovative, monopolistic and arguably often not in the consumer interest.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It’ll soon come to the point where the armchair fans are paying more to watch from their front room than what those that are paying to watch at the games themselves are.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Amazon however are in my view a threat to all our futures. If ever a giganto-monopoly needed regulation and restricting they are absolutely it.

Make no mistake, Amazon want to be the world's shop for everything. They also want to be the delivery system for that everything and they want to control who can sell what, at what price and in what volume.

Their operating practices on their own platform are a gruesome mixture of keystone cops, ruthless, innovative, monopolistic and arguably often not in the consumer interest.
    They’re fantastic at what they do though!!

@hibs.net private member

Also, as an employer, they leave a lot to be desired. So easy to go to for practically everything - very scary.

Amazon pass everything they save on tax, wage costs etc on to the consumer. They don’t pay out dividends to shareholders. What’s not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They provide an unparalleled level of service though. Top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Amazon pass everything they save on tax, wage costs etc on to the consumer. They don’t pay out dividends to shareholders. What’s not to like.

So shareholders just rely on capital appreciation?

Come a long way since selling just books ! And I’m a prime member anyway so win win.

English football selling it's soul to the devil imo.

@hibs.net private member

This is very much a temporary phenomenon. Investors are prepared to forgo dividends while the stock price keeps going up but sooner or later they have to start making money on selling goods and that will probably be once they've ground their competitors into the dust. I do have to say that their service is excellent though!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    They’re fantastic at what they do though!!
    Unless you work for them.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    wonder when Amazon will announce prime plus.....they wont be giving it away for free, not for long anyway

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Unless you work for them.
    But they are fantastic at offering jobs
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

I run an Amazon store and they are a bloody nightmare. Others saying they offer a great service, alot of the time it's not really them, it's people like myself and Amazon take up most of the profit in any sales I get.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    I run an Amazon store and they are a bloody nightmare. Others saying they offer a great service, alot of the time it's not really them, it's people like myself and Amazon take up most of the profit in any sales I get.
    To be fair most people won't have any idea of what happens between them clicking a button to order and receiving the purchase the next day. Anyway, I think it's fair to say that Amazon aren't the white knight to save us from the media titans. I don't see Sky changing for the better when they are owned by one of Fox,Disney or Comcast in the not too distant future.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post

I help my sister with hers so I'm familiar with the internal horror stories. And they really are horror stories. Exploitative doesn't even begin to describe it.

Once Amazon get to critical mass it is going to be game over in whole sectors. Their monopoly status is very unhealthy and it is built on a deeply inequitable model where the giant corporation prospers on the backs of small traders and overworked staff with poor terms and conditions.

I actually can't articulate sufficiently contemptuous terms to adequately describe my views on Amazon.

Only becomes a problem when huge companies start to abuse their position or distort the market. Apart from some dubious tax avoidance practices and question marks about their employment contracts, Amazon have revolutionised the retail sector for the better. Their customer service is gold standard and the bar for all others to strive for. They absolutely put to SHAME some of the more established retailers who have screwed consumers for decades with shoddy service, dodgy returns policies, commission based selling and inflated prices.

I help my sister with hers so I'm familiar with the internal horror stories. And they really are horror stories. Exploitative doesn't even begin to describe it.

Once Amazon get to critical mass it is going to be game over in whole sectors. Their monopoly status is very unhealthy and it is built on a deeply inequitable model where the giant corporation prospers on the backs of small traders and overworked staff with poor terms and conditions.

I actually can't articulate sufficiently contemptuous terms to adequately describe my views on Amazon.
    Why would anyone work for Amazon if it’s that bad? They hardly have a monopoly on jobs?

As someone who doesn't have a TV licenese and only watches it "on demand" I take it I'd need to have one for this as it's a live event even if it not provided by BBC. I wonder if just having this option available with Prime causes it to be the case. Would cancel it then.

Or maybe I can pause for 1 second and watch 'as live' 😂

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    English football selling it's soul to the devil imo.
    That happened 20+ years ago

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

I’d rather theypaid tax for the benefit of everyone rather than consumers. Not everyone uses Amazon and personally prefer to give my hard earned cash to a company that doesn’t abuse the tax system. If every company operated like amazon the country would be a bigger state than it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I’d rather theypaid tax for the benefit of everyone rather than consumers. Not everyone uses Amazon and personally prefer to give my hard earned cash to a company that doesn’t abuse the tax system. If every company operated like amazon the country would be a bigger state than it currently is.
    Your asking amazon to volunteer extra tax over what the are legally obliged to pay? Do you do that?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Only becomes a problem when huge companies start to abuse their position or distort the market. Apart from some dubious tax avoidance practices and question marks about their employment contracts, Amazon have revolutionised the retail sector for the better. Their customer service is gold standard and the bar for all others to strive for. They absolutely put to SHAME some of the more established retailers who have screwed consumers for decades with shoddy service, dodgy returns policies, commission based selling and inflated prices.

It’s estimated that up to 1/3 of UK consumers have bought a counterfeit electronic device.

This is largely down to online retailers, and the dominant one is: Amazon.

Yes their customer service is good but they don’t care about their customers, employees, or paying their way.

Think about that next time you are made to wait for a doctors appointment, or need the police or any other public service funded through taxation.

At least 38,000 jobs have been lost from the high street already this year. I won’t mourn the loss of many of those shops, but as an economy we are headed in a scary direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It’s estimated that up to 1/3 of UK consumers have bought a counterfeit electronic device.

This is largely down to online retailers, and the dominant one is: Amazon.

Yes their customer service is good but they don’t care about their customers, employees, or paying their way.

Think about that next time you are made to wait for a doctors appointment, or need the police or any other public service funded through taxation.

At least 38,000 jobs have been lost from the high street already this year. I won’t mourn the loss of many of those shops, but as an economy we are headed in a scary direction.
    If the government want to tax online retailers then they can do so. Amazon only pay the taxes the govt set.

Yeah, they worry me as well.

They were fine when they were just selling books..... although a number of books shops went down the pan because of them, so maybe not.

If the government want to tax online retailers then they can do so. Amazon only pay the taxes the govt set.

So are you saying they have a get out clause for deliberately circumventing the tax regime in the UK, just because we have an incompetent Government?

Sorry but, like most Rangers Fans, that doesn't wash

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    So are you saying they have a get out clause for deliberately circumventing the tax regime in the UK, just because we have an incompetent Government?

They don't circumvent anything. They pay tax on their profits, like any other business.

People get aerated when they look at Amazon's top line.... tens of billions. But that's not what tax is based on.

They do have cross- border charges against profit, which reduces their tax bill. That's where the Government does have a responsibility. Those are the areas that should be legislated for.

Against that, is the argument that Amazon is a major employer in this country, and contributes hugely to the economy through PAYE, NI and VAT. A more aggressive tax regime might persuade them to move elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Like when the government tried to prove they had a permanent trading establishment in the UK, and Amazon said it was only support services? Bit in reality it was sales and they lied about it to save tax?

That's the government's fault? That Amazon lied through their teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

What do you want amazon to do? Offer to pay extra tax that it is not due and put up its prices?