hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Kirius Lesson

For all the financial doping and Craig Thomson, the real difference between Hibs and Hearts in that era was probably Zibi/Clown. A major indictment of both clubs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all the financial doping and Craig Thomson, the real difference between Hibs and Hearts in that era was probably Zibi/Clown. A major indictment of both clubs.
    You have to wonder why Mowbray extended his contract when everybody knew he was a howler....

Left by mutual consent!
    I've never went as radio rental at a player as I did at Zibbi when he threw in a couple of goals vs Hearts in that semi final.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    I've never went as radio rental at a player as I did at Zibbi when he threw in a couple of goals vs Hearts in that semi final.
    The position of him for Hartley freekick was shocking. I think the whole stadium knew that was going in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    The position of him for Hartley freekick was shocking. I think the whole stadium knew that was going in.
    there was another one when he came running off his line with no chance of getting to the ball. I was out of my chair and halfway down the stairs by the time Hartley had went round him and scored.

Worst keeper I’ve ever seen.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 27-05-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    there was another one when he came running off his line with no chance of getting to the ball. I was out of my chair and halfway down the stairs by the time Hartley had went wound him and scored.

Again the decision making was shocking as was the execution of them.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    The thing with the goalie last night, which was the same with Zibi, was that you knew once he’d made one mistake that he’d make another. Keepers like that don’t just make one mistake, they can’t get over it and they lose you the game.

At least spell the poor bloke's name right - Karius.

What an abysmal night for him though - shows the raw cruelty of being a keeper. If a striker fluffs a chance or a midfielder misplaces a pass, there's no instant impact on the "goals against" column for their own team.

Same can't be said for a goalie. Instant punishment and he's probably played his last game for Liverpool I'd say.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    The thing with the goalie last night, which was the same with Zibi, was that you knew once he’d made one mistake that he’d make another. Keepers like that don’t just make one mistake, they can’t get over it and they lose you the game.
    Agree 100% Better getting rid. Wonder where I have heard that before?

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I always thought that if we'd held onto daniel anderson and matt doumbe we would have been pushing for second between 2004-07

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    there was another one when he came running off his line with no chance of getting to the ball. I was out of my chair and halfway down the stairs by the time Hartley had went round him and scored.

Arguably his worst game was against them at ER. 2-0 and cruising approaching half time (think zemmamma scored the first) and he decides to get involved. Comes right out to the edge of his box and is beaten to a high ball by a Velicka header. Lost a poor goal at his near post in the 2nd half. 2-2.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Has dropped the A from his name too.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    I always thought that if we'd held onto daniel anderson and matt doumbe we would have been pushing for second between 2004-07
    Anderson and Doumbe two very good players. Zibi without doubt our worst ever keeper just edges out Makalamity. As OP states makes you wonder where we would be if we held onto both these players it can also be said that if we had held onto all our players we would have won the Scottish Cup long before we did and no doubt would have been in the running for the Champions League. Just typical HIBS.As my old man used to say and the old mentality was the only thing that could be relied upon is the fact that they HIBS would always let you down.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Arguably his worst game was against them at ER. 2-0 and cruising approaching half time (think zemmamma scored the first) and he decides to get involved. Comes right out to the edge of his box and is beaten to a high ball by a Velicka header. Lost a poor goal at his near post in the 2nd half. 2-2.
    Yup. Thought we were on for a DVD worthy scoreline up until that first goal.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Why blame Zibi? The guy probably tried his best. When using the word "clown" I suggest we point at who signed him AND gave him an extension to his contract.
    Re the semi, Zibi was also at fault for (I think it was) the last goal when Gary Smith was sent off for having to bring down a Hearts player. Zibi had plenty of time to come out and pick up the through ball but stayed rooted on his line.

Anecdote: As we were walking out at FT, I ended up standing next to Scott Brown. I said "When are we going to sign a decent keeper?" He replied "Tell me about it".

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    With both Zibi and Karius last night there's a difference between a striker fluffing a chance or a defender missing a tackle. Neither mistake was under any pressure and both mistakes would have left the keepers disappointed at under 13s level.

Jason Cummings was singled out for his open goal miss last season from three yards because a footballer of any level shouldn't make those mistakes.

I feel for the rest of the Liverpool team who no doubt dreamt of being champions of Europe when they were young being let down by a very well paid individual not being able to keep concentration in what is supposed to be their job, just like Zibi should never have claimed a wage from us.

If you're not up to it, find something else to do or step down to your level.

Don't see what good cruxifying the guy is gonna do. He's made a mistake, not on purpose and it happens so everybody should just move on.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm maybe on my own here, and of course Zibi made some howlers against them, but i didn't think he was that bad a keeper apart from when we seemed to play them.

He had some very good games for us, but seemed to have a mental block whenever we trotted out against the diets.

Make as many mistakes as he did against that lot, and you are never going to get much support from the fans.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Obviously karius isn't good enough, and two of last night's goals were criminal at literally any level of football.

I feel sorry for him though, he's blatantly not been good enough all season and it's a mystery as to why he's not been replaced and why he's picked.

Zibi was the same boat.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Don't see what good cruxifying the guy is gonna do. He's made a mistake, not on purpose and it happens so everybody should just move on.
    Whenever I see mistakes like those, I tend to think "irregular betting patterns". Usually unfairly, but I was a bit surprised that not one team mate came to console the guy at the end.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm maybe on my own here, and of course Zibi made some howlers against them, but i didn't think he was that bad a keeper apart from when we seemed to play them.

He had some very good games for us, but seemed to have a mental block whenever we trotted out against the diets.

Make as many mistakes as he did against that lot, and you are never going to get much support from the fans.
    I agree with this, said it loads before too. Oxley had a catalogue of shockers that we’re just as bad as Zibi but were all forgotten about fairly quickly as they weren’t against Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

It did just seem to be a problem against hertz. In the Ivan game against the hun he was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I agree with this, said it loads before too. Oxley had a catalogue of shockers that we’re just as bad as Zibi but were all forgotten about fairly quickly as they weren’t against Hearts
    Can you forget something that didn't happen? He was no where near as bad but you keep trying to convince us 😂

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I said before the game that the Liverpool keeper and whoever played alongside Van Dijk were the weak links. To be fair to Lovren, he played well. Karius made the sort of errors a poor 5-a-side keeper would make. Big Marv likened it to the time he played in goals!

As for Zibi, poor keeper. Makalamby and Simon Brown were dire too. Done to death on here but a decent keeper like Marciano would have gained us another 10-12 points a season under Mowbray.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Can you forget something that didn't happen? He was no where near as bad but you keep trying to convince us 😂
    The fact you say it didn’t happen proves that you’ve forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    There was a point when I started to think that training for the keepers at Hibs involved diving to one side and knocking the ball loose to about 2 yards out dead centre to the now open goal. There was just no way they could do it that consistently without practice.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Obviously karius isn't good enough, and two of last night's goals were criminal at literally any level of football.

I feel sorry for him though, he's blatantly not been good enough all season and it's a mystery as to why he's not been replaced and why he's picked.

Zibi was the same boat.
    I've never understood this type of thing either. For me, the goalie is at least as important as any player in the team and yet time after time in history we see goalies who are not nearly up the standard of their teammates - in some stellar teams too. It would probably split opinion but I never felt Grobbelaar was good enough for that Liverpool team. Likewise going back some time, Sprake at Leeds, Wilson at Arsenal and many more. Man Utd persevered with Gary Bailey for almost 300 games whilst Forest signed Shilton for £250,000 and won the League and European Cups.

I liked Mowbray's managership at Easter Road but he definitely had that same blind spot where goalies are concerned and it cost Hibs.

So much for 'You'll Never Walk Alone' eh . Can't believe none of his team mates or coaching staff went over when he was on his knees sobbing. The guys a human being who made two mistakes.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    Whenever I see mistakes like those, I tend to think "irregular betting patterns". Usually unfairly, but I was a bit surprised that not one team mate came to console the guy at the end.
    That was exactly my thoughts too. I was watching with a pal and the first thing I said when that first goal went in as “hmmm, somebody somewhere might be wondering about betting going on”. When the third one went in, well, that really made me wonder.... It just seemed impossible to see one, never mind two utterly howling errors like that in a game of that magnitude.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    When the players in question are getting paid over £100k per week I think it's easier to put it down to a horrible mistake for the first that shot the guy's confidence. Then the second mistake followed an almost unsaveable overhead kick of course.

Surely the amounts of cash required to convince a player to make a near career destroying mistake (or two) in a CL final would be fairly difficult to disguise... unless you've got his immediate family bound and gagged in a lock-up somewhere.

He made a bad mistake. He didn't recover mentally and he made another one. It happens at every level of sport. Nothing to do with sinister motives or irregular betting patterns IMO.
    Last edited by Mr White; 27-05-2018 at 04:27 PM.