hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColintonHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought sir Tom was a billionaire. I was gonna say why can’t he invest some in the club. £1B at 10% per year is £100m per year. I thought he can at least put £5m into the team every year when compounding at 10%.

A quick look on wikipedia and his net worth is only £130m. Where’s Tom’s money gone? Or does Wikipedia not count his business assets?
    You don’t think he’s already put enough in?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Can We Compete!

Lets hope that HSL can reach the target set of 100 new sign ups from the Sky T.V. piece, when added to the 20+ signed up from a headline thread on .NET this would represent a tremendous increase in numbers over just 5 days.

Just think if 25 new sign ups were gained each week for the next year the increase in finance would be just over half of that being brought in just now. Do the same the following year and the finance has doubled.

We are in a competition with the Jambos and the Sheep whether we like it or not. Are we going to allow them to gain a financial advantage over the Hi-Bees.
    We the great Hibs Support are the only ones who can change this situation, it can only be changed by any Hibs supporter who can afford it, joining up to give whatever they can afford to the cause.

Every little bit will help the manager, the club and our own football ambitions as Hibernian Supporters in the short to longer term.

The future can be green, it’s up to us.

I thought sir Tom was a billionaire. I was gonna say why can’t he invest some in the club. £1B at 10% per year is £100m per year. I thought he can at least put £5m into the team every year when compounding at 10%.

A quick look on wikipedia and his net worth is only £130m. Where’s Tom’s money gone? Or does Wikipedia not count his business assets?
    STF has done plenty. Lets just get a few thousand more ordinary Hibbies chipping in £7.73 a month or whatever they can afford and that will go a long way to helping us move onwards and upwards.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

So we have to find another 500k a year, with no guarantee of concomitant income?

I'd prefer the incremental and sustainable growth that we're experiencing at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    One thing I think some people are missing, especially those that said "if every club has fans that donate then it will nullify what we do", is that we also compete in European competitions (at least have a chance to). If we are able to fund a better squad and develop over time, the club itself will generate more income for the playing squad etc. by itself via European success. Also, we should want Scotland to raise its coefficient so all teams strengthening is great for the league and the nation. We just need to make sure that we are at the top end rather than the bottom when it comes to donations and proper running of the club! Think we can be fairly certain of appropriate running of the club, we are seeing positive moves in terms of donations but can push on more.

If we managed to get to the group stages of Europa League then that would be more than £3million in the bank for the club to spend, some of which I'd assume would go back on the playing squad! It will be very tough this year but you never know. When I consider my donation, I'm thinking more about getting Hibs to a stage where we can stay in Europe more than 1 week! My focus is less on the league (apart from securing European place every year).

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    STF has done plenty. Lets just get a few thousand more ordinary Hibbies chipping in £7.73 a month or whatever they can afford and that will go a long way to helping us move onwards and upwards.
    This.

I think what these recent threads and recent surge in people joining up show is that there are many, many Hibbies out there who aren’t opposed to HSL in principle, and who probably can afford a few pound a week (£7.73 a month is less than £1.80 a week) but who for whatever reason haven’t yet got round to it or who aren’t aware enough about it. And that’s perfectly ok. I only started chipping in myself in February this year, more than 3 years after the launch.

of course there are others who genuinely can’t afford it, and as has been made clear a million times that’s also fine.

Those who who are against the principle of HSL though, I would like to hear more about their reasoning. Not to try and start an argument or anything like that, everyone is entitled to their opinion on it, I’m just genuinely interested. Is it because they think the money isn’t going to go to the right places? Is it because they are worried about fans having too much control and/or blocking other investment coming in?

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    One thing I think some people are missing, especially those that said "if every club has fans that donate then it will nullify what we do", is that we also compete in European competitions (at least have a chance to). If we are able to fund a better squad and develop over time, the club itself will generate more income for the playing squad etc. by itself via European success. Also, we should want Scotland to raise its coefficient so all teams strengthening is great for the league and the nation. We just need to make sure that we are at the top end rather than the bottom when it comes to donations and proper running of the club! Think we can be fairly certain of appropriate running of the club, we are seeing positive moves in terms of donations but can push on more.

If we managed to get to the group stages of Europa League then that would be more than £3million in the bank for the club to spend, some of which I'd assume would go back on the playing squad! It will be very tough this year but you never know. When I consider my donation, I'm thinking more about getting Hibs to a stage where we can stay in Europe more than 1 week! My focus is less on the league (apart from securing European place every year).
    Spot on Madhatter, its up to us as Hibs Supporters to allow the club to compete with the likes of the jambos and the sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    This.

I think what these recent threads and recent surge in people joining up show is that there are many, many Hibbies out there who aren’t opposed to HSL in principle, and who probably can afford a few pound a week (£7.73 a month is less than £1.80 a week) but who for whatever reason haven’t yet got round to it or who aren’t aware enough about it. And that’s perfectly ok. I only started chipping in myself in February this year, more than 3 years after the launch.

of course there are others who genuinely can’t afford it, and as has been made clear a million times that’s also fine.

Those who who are against the principle of HSL though, I would like to hear more about their reasoning. Not to try and start an argument or anything like that, everyone is entitled to their opinion on it, I’m just genuinely interested. Is it because they think the money isn’t going to go to the right places? Is it because they are worried about fans having too much control and/or blocking other investment coming in?
    Easter Rising

You make a very good point and we too are interested in trying to understand why more supporters are not stepping towards HSL. As you say, we appreciate that many supporters are quite simply not in a financial position to do so for various reasons, and that's quite understandable. For others we are keen to shed light on the areas that perhaps need to be explained further.

Update on this weekends target of 100 - so far 69. Keep spreading the word.

HSL

Quote Originally Posted by OfficialHSL View Post
    Easter Rising

You make a very good point and we too are interested in trying to understand why more supporters are not stepping towards HSL. As you say, we appreciate that many supporters are quite simply not in a financial position to do so for various reasons, and that's quite understandable. For others we are keen to shed light on the areas that perhaps need to be explained further.

Update on this weekends target of 100 - so far 69. Keep spreading the word.

HSL
    Hi apologies if I have missed it but I asked earlier on regarding the funds going towards the managers budget. Can you clarify even roughly how much of the funds go directly to transfer fees / player wages please. Say £100k was given in the last 12 months there must be some idea of how this has been deployed?

I am keen to sign up.

Signed up for a monthly contribution.

Lots of great debate on here but ultimately a collective effort will help drive us forward at one of the most exciting times to be a Hibee in a generation. Feels good to play a part in it.

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Just signed up for regular monthly contribution. I am already a member through previous single donation but email from HSL has prompted further contribution. GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by York Hibees View Post
    Hi apologies if I have missed it but I asked earlier on regarding the funds going towards the managers budget. Can you clarify even roughly how much of the funds go directly to transfer fees / player wages please. Say £100k was given in the last 12 months there must be some idea of how this has been deployed?

I am keen to sign up.
    Will HSL know? They get the money and give it to Hibs in exchange for shares.

You seem to be asking too much of HSL here (IMHO) when the answers you seek are probably better obtained from within the club, no?

What's your real fear? That the money you donate is being claimed in petrol by Petrie\Farmer or something similar?

Just cancelled my subscriptions to Which magazine and Experian and signed up for HSL instead. GGTTH.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

Can you afford £10 to help Neil Lennon get the players he needs to take Hibs forward

Just signed up as well , Been meaning to do it for ages but just never got around to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am keen to sign up.
    HSL have confirmed the cash goes to the Football Department to fund Sporting Ambition. Now that could be interpreted in a number of ways but I’d imagine the bulk of it will contribute towards player contracts. As Dave asks above, do you fear some kind of misuse?

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    Just signed up as well , Been meaning to do it for ages but just never got around to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To the last four (4) posters who have just signed up this really is fantastic, well done to all on .Net
    We really can make a difference to the football aspirations of our great Hibernian.
    More power to all the netters who have signed up since the thread first appeared on Wednesday last, I make it more than 25 could even be close to 30 have signed up from dot net, absolutly fantastic effort, lets help build the team that we all deserve.

I am keen to sign up.
    York Hibees

We can't answer your question as we don't know. We have never asked for a detailed breakdown of how the Football Department spend our donations. Our guess is that most, if not all of our Members are happy to leave Leeann, George and Neil to make those decisions. From what we have seen on the park so far, they seem to be making good choices. As we have said on other threads, we collectively have an ownership stake in the Club, it is for the Club Executive to run the Club.

HSL

No fear of misuse. I knew little of HSL before reading this thread and when I saw ‘ All cash raised goes straight to the manager’s fund to help get the players we need at Hibernian to take us onward to the next stage, it may even help to keep some of our favourite players at Easter Road a little bit longer’ I assumed that the fans were giving money directly to Lennons budget for transfer fees and wages.

I’m sure the money is used well by the club. But using that statement and not knowing how much is going to the actual player budget is a bit like going on dragons den asking the dragons for money for one thing then having a business plan for something completely different.

Maybe better just asking for contributions towards developing the football club as a whole?

Best of luck.

No fear of misuse. I knew little of HSL before reading this thread and when I saw ‘ All cash raised goes straight to the manager’s fund to help get the players we need at Hibernian to take us onward to the next stage, it may even help to keep some of our favourite players at Easter Road a little bit longer’ I assumed that the fans were giving money directly to Lennons budget for transfer fees and wages.

I’m sure the money is used well by the club. But using that statement and not knowing how much is going to the actual player budget is a bit like going on dragons den asking the dragons for money for one thing then having a business plan for something completely different.

Maybe better just asking for contributions towards developing the football club as a whole?

Best of luck.
    So you’re out? If so, why are you not in? Just interested.

Best of luck.
    That's actually a decent point to be honest.

I said a couple of days ago that I didn't feel anyone was being misled about how the funds are used and as far as the HSL website is concerned that much is true. However the title of this thread along with the opening post is really not well written at all as they certainly give the impression that all donations to HSL go straight to the manager's budget.

Like I've said before I think there's no issue with the funds being used in other areas of the football department but it should be totally transparent. I hadn't really paid much attention to the opening post until now. I now understand where people had got the idea from that all HSL funds went straight to Neil Lennon to buy new players.

Best of luck.
    To be honest, that just reads a big excuse for not joining when in fact you don't even need one as it's a free choice to contribute or not.

It goes to fund sporting ambition. You are in or you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    That's actually a decent point to be honest.

I said a couple of days ago that I didn't feel anyone was being misled about how the funds are used and as far as the HSL website is concerned that much is true. However the title of this thread along with the opening post is really not well written at all as they certainly give the impression that all donations to HSL go straight to the manager's budget.

Like I've said before I think there's no issue with the funds being used in other areas of the football department but it should be totally transparent. I hadn't really paid much attention to the opening post until now. I now understand where people had got the idea from that all HSL funds went straight to Neil Lennon to buy new players.
    Sir David/York Hibees

We do of course respect your right not to contribute or join HSL, if that is the case.

We do however want to make sure that none of our potential donators are put off by any thought that our funds are not going to the correct place. All our funds do go to Neil Lennon to spend as he sees fit. We cannot imagine where else he would be spending the money other than on players. The Football Department budget is set by the Board based on best projections surrounding all of the Clubs normal sources of income. One would imagine that Leeann, George and Neil will decide how best to spend that. The vast majority will be spent on players wages etc. Perhaps some may be spent on a piece of equipment that is felt to be necessary. Our donations are discretionary as we volunteer to pay this. If you were in the Managers shoes and you are trying hard to improve the product on the park, where would you spend our money ?

HSL

Quote Originally Posted by OfficialHSL View Post
    Sir David/York Hibees

We do of course respect your right not to contribute or join HSL, if that is the case.

We do however want to make sure that none of our potential donators are put off by any thought that our funds are not going to the correct place. All our funds do go to Neil Lennon to spend as he sees fit. We cannot imagine where else he would be spending the money other than on players. The Football Department budget is set by the Board based on best projections surrounding all of the Clubs normal sources of income. One would imagine that Leeann, George and Neil will decide how best to spend that. The vast majority will be spent on players wages etc. Perhaps some may be spent on a piece of equipment that is felt to be necessary. Our donations are discretionary as we volunteer to pay this. If you were in the Managers shoes and you are trying hard to improve the product on the park, where would you spend our money ?

HSL
    I should have made it clear that I do actually currently donate to HSL and I do not have any issue with the funds being used on other areas of the football department.

I just think it's important to keep these things transparent that's all.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Best of luck.
    What's not to understand money goes to help team. For it or not, make your mind up.

I should have made it clear that I do actually currently donate to HSL and I do not have any issue with the funds being used on other areas of the football department.

We agree, and thank you for your support. We do hope you are not offended by our response. We should have added, for the benefit of others reading this thread, that the Fan Reps on the Board have gone on record often to confirm that all HSL donations are being used as promised by the Club.

We have now reached 76 new donators this weekend. Hopefully more by the morning.

HSL

I don't think the club should be expected to disclose exactly how money is being spent. It only disadvantages us when it comes to negotiations

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Still not sure why people are caught up with how and where the money is being spent. Hibs are a law-abiding company so you can find out should you wish to. Perhaps not to the level of HSL funds but it doesn't take much to acquire a rough estimate should you work through it. Although whether it was invested in cushions in the changing rooms and then other money was then invested in the sporting ambition, well...that's just a guessing game.

Also, a football club is not like other businesses (especially these days), we don't branch off into many subsidiaries, Walmart, Asda, George Clothing, Jet.com, Moosejaw and so on...

Hibs are a football club, full stop, we center around football. Extra money put into the club from HSL may be put towards covering an immediate cost that the club have. Now, that immediate cost is already likely to be a footballing ambition one as we've got a fairly decent infrastructure (although some maintenance is necessary). However, if Hibs need to spend £20,000 on fixing something at the training facility and that comes out of HSL money then I would imagine at a later date £20,000 or more would then be funneled into "sporting ambition", whether that be player wages or signing fees. Still not sure why maintaining the training facility isn't under the umbrella of "sporting ambition" anyway, we've already heard players say that a big reason they came here was the training centre.

I'm like most fans I sometimes think about Hibs and football like Football Manager and try to treat it as if I know what is going on or I would like to know so I can critique/gain some intricate understanding. HSL has been clear, donate if you want to and can afford to, Hibs and HSL have constantly said it will go towards the sporting ambition of the club, which is football. I'm really not sure why people (including myself) pay needless monthly fees for other stuff in their lives but then want to look for holes in charities and other donation schemes, this being a donation scheme to improve the standard of football at ER at a club we all love...

Just like charities, give if you can and want to. Don't necessarily expect to get a personalized answer about how your money is being spent. I may be wrong but I doubt Hibs are employing an accountant or admin merely for duties entailing HSL money, for one we don't raise enough to justify this (say we raise 30,000-40,000 a month but then employ someone on 20,000-40,000 a year to cover the administration of that...doesn't make great sense to me). I'd imagine it will go into a large sporting ambition "pot" that is ring-fenced for Lennon. Hibs may need to dip into this should something urgent need fixed/sorted but I'd imagine as it currently stands (and has been reported in the media) Lennon is getting a substantial budget, so the "pot" will be large for Hibs (HSL will be contributing to this).

I know nothing beyond what I type on here, I'm not affiliated with HSL or Hibs. One thing I will say is I trust those in charge of the day-to-day running of Hibs and this is the best time to band together, we are starting from a position of strength and trust. Again, as always, give what little you can, if you want to. Don't if you don't want to or can't.
    Last edited by madhatter; 10-06-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    I don't think the club should be expected to disclose exactly how money is being spent. It only disadvantages us when it comes to negotiations
    I'm not saying the club has to disclose how they are spending the HSL money. I'm saying that HSL should be avoiding using any language which suggests that all funding goes to the manager to buy new players.

The answer to the opening question in the FAQ section of the HSL website is very clear in saying that all funding goes straight to the club and it's then up to them how they use it. That seems fair enough to me.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm not saying the club has to disclose how they are spending the HSL money. I'm saying that HSL should be avoiding using any language which suggests that all funding goes to the manager to buy new players.

The answer to the opening question in the FAQ section of the HSL website is very clear in saying that all funding goes straight to the club and it's then up to them how they use it. That seems fair enough to me.
    I think it's fair enough to say the money goes to buy players/ improve the squad.

Every penny is used properly. Once our overheads etc are taken care of, the rest of the income is given to the manager so my £18.75 per month increases his budget one way or another.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I will be in later today. Now go buy Kamberi