hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that that is just the reality of them having 3x the number of ST holders as us? They aren’t nearly as skint as you might think from reading things on here.

*A few extra folk chipping in a tenner a month isn’t gonna make a much of a difference in Barker deciding where to go!

Barker to Rangers has been doing the rounds for a few months, I posted a while back about it. Alan Preston is his agent and is trying to get the deal done. It sucks.
    A few people chipping in a tenner a month may not make a difference to Barker, but a few thousand chipping in a tenner a month will certainly make a difference in the kind of player we can get (to replace Barker or otherwise) and what we can offer them.

as always though, it’s down to individual choice and affordability. I just don’t agree with the argument that there’s no point to it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the future will the HSL income have a bearing on how Hibs price the cost of a season ticket?

Keeping season tickets affordable is very important in maintaning new members we have attracted.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    In the future will the HSL income have a bearing on how Hibs price the cost of a season ticket?

Keeping season tickets affordable is very important in maintaning new members we have attracted.
    I think that's the point though that HSL is an addition and no one should join unless they can afford it. I don't contribute at the moment but probably will at some point soon although it means something else will need to go. Unfortunately my subscription to MCN weekly, Bike magazine and Classic Rock magazine monthly currently look under threat. Might need to stop buying my rounds in the pub as I'm sure that's how you've funded your HSL contributions!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    A few people chipping in a tenner a month may not make a difference to Barker, but a few thousand chipping in a tenner a month will certainly make a difference in the kind of player we can get (to replace Barker or otherwise) and what we can offer them.

as always though, it’s down to individual choice and affordability. I just don’t agree with the argument that there’s no point to it.
    If Barker went to Ibrox he would not get any more money than if he came here. Clubs paying out more would just be contributing more towards his wages that are paid by Man City. This would sway Man City towards getting Barker to sign for the club willing to pay the biggest per cent of his wage. H e may have some choice as to where he goes but he will be paid the same wherever that is. He may choose to return here because he enjoyed his time here or he may choose another English club to be more in the shop window.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialHSL View Post
    On behalf of everyone at HSL can we express our sincere thanks to A Hi-Bee for his/her suggested Thread.

In the last few hours since posting it we have attracted 16 new donators. Most at £10 pm month, two at £18.75 pm , one at £30pm and a lump sum donation. As you will see from that thread it has provoked much debate which is brilliant. Such debates allow more clarity to be brought out into the open. It helps show what HSL is about and indeed what it isn't about.

We will try to respond to as many of the points raised in this lively thread.

Once again, thank you.

HSL

Excellent news. I make it that's at least £2,500 raised in a few days (for this year) just by starting this thread. Maybe we could keep it going through June & you could update us on new joiners in much the same way as Hibs do with season tickets. I think if people see more joining up & can see a tangible sum resulting, eg £50k or higher, then it may encourage others to sign up. Great job, many congrats.

On behalf of everyone at HSL can we express our sincere thanks to A Hi-Bee for his/her suggested Thread.

In the last few hours since posting it we have attracted 16 new donators. Most at £10 pm month, two at £18.75 pm , one at £30pm and a lump sum donation. As you will see from that thread it has provoked much debate which is brilliant. Such debates allow more clarity to be brought out into the open. It helps show what HSL is about and indeed what it isn't about.

Once again, thank you.

HSL
    That's really good news, and the best post on the thread yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What do those who are actively trying to discourage contributions make of the news that Rangers look likely to nip in and get Brandon Barker ahead of us?

Mine had lapsed but I'll be signing up again later today.
    Can't see anybody actively trying to discourage others to contribute.?????
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Baldy

As you may have noted, the thread was actually suggested by one of our Members who felt that some of our earlier communications were perhaps not clear enough. We invited suggestions therefore did not feel it right to tamper with it. We can assure you that we never intentionally try to encourage supporters to donate to HSL by any disreputable means and there was no intention to cause any supporter to feel guilty for not donating to HSL. As we have said on many occasions, the great thing about HSL is that it is voluntary. We do not want anyone contributing if they can't afford to donate or indeed if it simply is not their choice to do so.

HSL
    Thanks for the response. (Nice to get a reasonable response, without being labelled delicate soul by the odd few)

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Come on Mikey, for all there’s been some needless digs on this thread, (and I absolutely agree that there has) I don’t think anyone on here is “actively trying to discourage contributions”.

We know HC has a tendency to be short and negative in a lot of his posts, but I’m confident his intentions weren’t as above.

I ask so think some are confusing criticism of positioning, pitching and marketing (which is important) as people being easily offended or “delicate souls”.
    Good post WeeRussell

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Good post WeeRussell
    Apart from my typo on "also" which I'll fix just now

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I think that's the point though that HSL is an addition and no one should join unless they can afford it. I don't contribute at the moment but probably will at some point soon although it means something else will need to go. Unfortunately my subscription to MCN weekly, Bike magazine and Classic Rock magazine monthly currently look under threat. Might need to stop buying my rounds in the pub as I'm sure that's how you've funded your HSL contributions!!
    So...you admit I get my round in.🍺😎

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What do those who are actively trying to discourage contributions make of the news that Rangers look likely to nip in and get Brandon Barker ahead of us?

Mine had lapsed but I'll be signing up again later today.
    If Rangers and Hibs both want a player and money is the deciding factor then Rangers get that player.

That's got nothing to do with a few people saying they do not want to contribute to HSL, it's just simple arithmetic.

Unless we get bought over by an Arab sheikh with an endless amount of money, we have no chance of competing with Rangers as far as wages are concerned, when they have around 30,000 more season ticket holders than us.

I must have spent thousands following Hibs since 1963, but I suppose another tenner won't hurt.

It's a bit thick though!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If Rangers and Hibs both want a player and money is the deciding factor then Rangers get that player.

That's got nothing to do with a few people saying they do not want to contribute to HSL, it's just simple arithmetic.

Unless we get bought over by an Arab sheikh with an endless amount of money, we have no chance of competing with Rangers as far as wages are concerned, when they have around 30,000 more season ticket holders than us.
    If we get enough people signing up, we can compete with them.

Perhaps not on overall wage bill, but in a few key areas.

Aberdeen are doing it, with a bit more investment focussed in the right areas, why not Hibs?

Those who say "why bother with HSL" are usually those jumping out their seats greetin about the quality of our players.....

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Aberdeen are doing it, with a bit more investment focussed in the right areas, why not Hibs?

Those who say "why bother with HSL" are usually those jumping out their seats greetin about the quality of our players.....
    If Rangers get things right off the pitch then they'll be streets ahead of both us and Aberdeen.

Aberdeen are a fair comparison and they do pay more than us just now so that alone should encourage people to donate to HSL but I don't think Rangers are necessarily a good comparison.

First Team Regular
    When HSL pass the 2000 member number I would like to see them make a big thing of this. We need to generate momentum and hopefully a "bandwagon" effect will kick in! Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

You're forgetting that Rangers fans are also donating to similar schemes. Club1872 are about to donate circa £1m for the start of this season. Add that to Rangers turnover of nearly £20m for the last 6 months and now that they're in control of the £5-6m a season merchandise business (probably alot more should they go with an orange or union jack away strip) and we'll never compete with them financially.

I support HSL and have donated a few quid every month since it started. But another poster is probably correct, the donation schemes of Hibs, Hertz and Aberdeen will pretty much just end up cancelling each other out.
    Last edited by green&left; 08-06-2018 at 10:57 AM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    You're forgetting that Rangers fans are also donating to similar schemes. Club1872 are about to donate circa £1m for the start of this season. Add that to Rangers turnover of nearly £20m for the last 6 months and now that they're in control of the £5-6m a season merchandise business (probably alot more should they go with a orange or union jack away strip) and we'll never compete with them financially.

I support HSL and have donated a few quid every month since it started. But another poster is probably correct, the donation schemes of Hibs, Hertz and Aberdeen will pretty much just end up cancelling each other out.
    ...in turn, though, by improving the standard of our team, when/if we qualify for Europe, we will be better-placed to make progress.

Agree totally with cwg it's a fact any donations to HSL will help our manager to kick on again and improve the quality of our squad I urge all hibbys if possible to donate even a small amount one thing we surely all agree on we want the best team as possible to take us as Lenny says to the next level he has proven in the transfer market to be very astute let's do this my fellow hibbys Ggtth

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    If you can afford to commit then it's a no brainer. The money goes straight to new signings.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    ...in turn, though, by improving the standard of our team, when/if we qualify for Europe, we will be better-placed to make progress.
    It gives us a bigger advantage against smaller clubs without the means to do this too. Could be the difference between a draw and a win against such teams.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where it specifically states that the funds will be used for player recruitment?

As far as I can see HSL themselves say on their own website that all the money raised is passed to Hibs and it's up to the club to use the money as they see fit.

I don't actually have a problem with the above statement by the way, as it's outlined very clearly what their intentions are and it's then up to each individual if they want to donate.

I've seen a few people say that all funds go to the manager and I just wondered where people had got this understanding from that all funds raised by HSL would be passed to the club in order to buy new players. Although that may well be what happens, I can't see it confirmed anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where it specifically states that the funds will be used for player recruitment?

As far as I can see HSL themselves say on their own website that all the money raised is passed to Hibs and it's up to the club to use the money as they see fit.

I don't actually have a problem with the above statement by the way, as it's outlined very clearly what their intentions are and it's then up to each individual if they want to donate.

I've seen a few people say that all funds go to the manager and I just wondered where people had got this understanding from that all funds raised by HSL would be passed to the club in order to buy new players. Although that may well be what happens, I can't see it confirmed anywhere.
    The club say that it's to "fund sporting achievement. That's quite a wide area.

There was a story on here recently about GC using HSL money to pay for a psychologist for Ryan Porteous. That suggests that GC gets the money, and spends it on the football operation.

If that's the case, it's wide of the mark to suggest that the money is only spent on players and their wages.

Like you, though, I don't have a problem with that scenario.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The club say that it's to "fund sporting achievement. That's quite a wide area.

There was a story on here recently about GC using HSL money to pay for a psychologist for Ryan Porteous. That suggests that GC gets the money, and spends it on the football operation.

If that's the case, it's wide of the mark to suggest that the money is only spent on players and their wages.

Like you, though, I don't have a problem with that scenario.

Not sure why any Hibs fan would have an issue with Porteous getting time with a Psychologist if needed, and that Psychologist being paid/funded via HSL. Getting new players and getting more out of current players are very similar things to me. I want success on the field if that means Stevenson gets coached to the point where he can dribble past 5 players and put it into the top corner then so be it. Doesn't need to be a fancy name for it to be a fancy player! HSL could be getting spent on player contracts, unless we make news worthy signings it seems some will be annoyed with HSL which I don't understand fully. Do people want an itemised account of what their money has gone to? Do people ask the same from charities when they donate?

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Not sure why any Hibs fan would have an issue with Porteous getting time with a Psychologist if needed, and that Psychologist being paid/funded via HSL. Getting new players and getting more out of current players are very similar things to me. I want success on the field if that means Stevenson gets coached to the point where he can dribble past 5 players and put it into the top corner then so be it. Doesn't need to be a fancy name for it to be a fancy player! HSL could be getting spent on player contracts, unless we make news worthy signings it seems some will be annoyed with HSL which I don't understand fully. Do people want an itemised account of what their money has gone to? Do people ask the same from charities when they donate?
    If you had actually taken the time to read the post you have quoted and my post which prompted the post you have quoted you will see that no-one is criticising any use of HSL funds for Ryan Porteous to see a psychologist.

All I had pointed out is that some people appear to be of the understanding that all funds raised by HSL go straight to Neil Lennon to spend on new players and I just asked where people had read this as I do not believe that this is necessarily true.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I'm with you on that.

I suppose I'm just highlighting that there may be a misunderstanding out there that it's all about transfer fees and wages.

HOWEVER....since you've put it out there.... see if Lewie doesn't do that every game.....there will be questions.

Once again, thank you.

HSL
    Thank you HSL, for all the good work being done to try and help the Hi-Bees.
    It is certainly very positive that this thread has generated some discussion about HSL, perhaps more importantly it has generated more contributors to HSL and by default to the mighty Hi-Bees.
    My slight dyslexia I promise to work even harder on. As for the heading “Can I/we/you afford not to!” perhaps some read things into words that they wish or want (Context) This was more of a call to all Hibs supporters not to ignore what other clubs are doing along similar paths. (Just squeezed into 5 words. Try getting a heading into 5 words) May have been better using the word “We”, but all have 20/20 vision with hindsight.
    For sure there is a whole lot more that could be done with and by HSL but they all give their time voluntarily which I completely understand. All I do is contribute I have no affiliation whatsoever.
    But perhaps this is a missing opportunity to get help, with such things as a monthly newsletter which shows the progress being made. As others have already said on this thread, in my humble opinion they should forget about percentages and speak about targets for each month, then show totals in cash raised for that month, even if not reached.
    There are more than enough on this forum who I am sure could contribute to articles etc, for a newsletter, perhaps they could even set it up as many appear to write Blogs and such. This could be sent out once a month to all on the database. Then it could also be read on the official website.
    Its all about clear communication, and I for one would want to see hard cash figures rather than what percentage of shares have been purchased (although important its boring) This could be covered in the newsletter by official HSL.
    Articles from players past and present etc, you may even be able to get some advertisers which would bring in a wee bit more cash.
    To get 16 to 20 people signing up with one thread shows the power that the forum has, it’s up to HSL to use it better.
    Aim for 50 people a week, so what if you don’t reach it, tell us the numbers also the cash amounts raised each month, then momentum can grow, both by word of mouth and seeing results.
    Anyway that’s enough from me for now.

GGTTH

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Re the question about how the money is spent, the way I view it is that HSL donations effectively protect/enhance the playing budget.

In the example above about the psychologist - Hibs might have done that regardless, but then that money would have to come from somewhere of HSL wasn't paying donations, and sooner or later that money comes from Lennon's budget.

You could argue that the club paid for the physiologist and from the budget and then HSL paid into the budget to compensate, or you could say HSL paid for the psychologist. It doesn't really matter but it shows why it's not dishonest or even disingenuous to say that HSL directly impacts the money Lennon can spend on transfers or wages.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    If you had actually taken the time to read the post you have quoted and my post which prompted the post you have quoted you will see that no-one is criticising any use of HSL funds for Ryan Porteous to see a psychologist.

All I had pointed out is that some people appear to be of the understanding that all funds raised by HSL go straight to Neil Lennon to spend on new players and I just asked where people had read this as I do not believe that this is necessarily true.
    There have been a few posts suggesting that fans want the money solely for player budget (which seems to be directly related to player acquisition). I wasn't replying to the post (or your post) suggesting either of you had done it. I'm just furthering the discussion on the psychologist thing with Porteous. George Craig did definitely indicate that HSL had helped with that matter but whether it was HSL helped to free up some internal funds or HSL money was spent directly on that, I have no idea.

I agree with your point, that is why I replied to the posts before. Player acquisition seems to be people's focus and at no point have we heard from HSL "this money will go straight to player acquisition". A budget for playing staff is wide-ranging for me, I'm happy for my money to go towards that if it means Porteous goes onto become a top player etc. You definitely have highlighted a valid point though, people do think all the money we are raising is going to signing players (don't entirely blame them for getting fixated on that at the moment though because it has been very quiet on that front!)

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the original quote (loosley) was that our money would be "ring fenced for the manager to put towards Sporting Ambition"

That covers a few things, but in my mind... All good.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk