hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just signed up for regular monthly contribution. I am already a member through previous single donation but email from HSL has prompted further contribution. GGTTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I think it's fair enough to say the money goes to buy players/ improve the squad.

Every penny is used properly. Once our overheads etc are taken care of, the rest of the income is given to the manager so my £18.75 per month increases his budget one way or another.

Exactly right. As I posted before, even if the funds go to buy nets, posts, other essentials, that still leaves Hibs with additional money to buy players. It's a no brainer for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    I will be in later today. Now go buy Kamberi
    I am now in.

Kamberi announcement incoming... (maybe, hopefully)

Managed to increase my amount now 😁
    Cougars!!!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Exactly right. As I posted before, even if the funds go to buy nets, posts, other essentials, that still leaves Hibs with additional money to buy players. It's a no brainer for me.
    I think there is a lot of ill feeling that STF takes a repayment from us, and the argument against HSL (that I've seen) is that HSL needs to raise c£44k each month before anything goes to the club (i.e. cover the cost of the loan repayments).

It's not a point of view I subscribe to, I think it's selective - why stop at the loan repayments? Why not include the utility bills, or tax, or anything else?

I get that as the owner of the club, STF could decide to forgoe the repayments, but if he's paid the money on the basis that some of it would be repaid, and repaid without interest, then that's what should happen IMHO.

So £44k (if that's the figure) has to be repaid with or without HSL. Without HSL that £44k hits the football budget, with HSL, the football budget remains intact.

The HSL money buys shares from the football club, not from STF.

All the money helps us get a better product on the pitch, and if enough people sign up then the difference we see is more pronounced.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Should be but its clearly not.
    I'd assume that running cost have to come from somewhere, and that HSL funds are ring fenced purly for players.

Again I assume 🤔

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I think there is a lot of ill feeling that STF takes a repayment from us, and the argument against HSL (that I've seen) is that HSL needs to raise c£44k each month before anything goes to the club (i.e. cover the cost of the loan repayments).

It's not a point of view I subscribe to, I think it's selective - why stop at the loan repayments? Why not include the utility bills, or tax, or anything else?

I get that as the owner of the club, STF could decide to forgoe the repayments, but if he's paid the money on the basis that some of it would be repaid, and repaid without interest, then that's what should happen IMHO.

So £44k (if that's the figure) has to be repaid with or without HSL. Without HSL that £44k hits the football budget, with HSL, the football budget remains intact.

The HSL money buys shares from the football club, not from STF.

All the money helps us get a better product on the pitch, and if enough people sign up then the difference we see is more pronounced.

I’ve said many times that we will only be able to measure STF’s true contribution to Hibs once he sells up.

But those that allege he is in it for personal gain have no evidence to back up their claims. All the evidence suggests he has been a very good custodian of this club - albeit not a fanatical supporter willing to blow his fortune ‘chasing the dream’.

I’m sure there are sound reasons why he structured the loan repayments as he did. It doesn’t really matter - he could have written off the loans but valued Hibs higher for the share issue. We’d be in the same position.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I’ve said many times that we will only be able to measure STF’s true contribution to Hibs once he sells up.

But those that allege he is in it for personal gain have no evidence to back up their claims. All the evidence suggests he has been a very good custodian of this club - albeit not a fanatical supporter willing to blow his fortune ‘chasing the dream’.

I’m sure there are sound reasons why he structured the loan repayments as he did. It doesn’t really matter - he could have written off the loans but valued Hibs higher for the share issue. We’d be in the same position.
    The point I always come back to about STF taking money out the club that he's not entitled to (for want of a better word) is why would he?

You see people suggesting that he should forgoe his rosters because he doesn't need the money, and it's for that very reason that I am certain he's not shafting Hibs - he doesn't need to.

There are a ton of easier ways for STF to make money than trying to bleed it from Hibs. It makes no sense for him to dip the till at Easter Road.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The point I always come back to about STF taking money out the club that he's not entitled to (for want of a better word) is why would he?

You see people suggesting that he should forgoe his rosters because he doesn't need the money, and it's for that very reason that I am certain he's not shafting Hibs - he doesn't need to.

There are a ton of easier ways for STF to make money than trying to bleed it from Hibs. It makes no sense for him to dip the till at Easter Road.
    Some may even say that he is protecting Hibs reputation to an extent - we pay our debts. If he had cleared the debt then we wouldn't be able to point the finger at that other lot!

It can be argued that Hibs had a degree of that debt due to Petrie and Farmer's mismanagement but I guess it is even considering Hibs may not be around if it weren't for Farmer.

Don't see the merit in those that go with the Farmer stand point anyway, surely they would be the ones that would be pushing for more shares for HSL anyway? Or are they happy to wait to see who the next custodian is when Farmer leaves (in whatever way he does). We'll never reach majority shareholder level but HSL gives us a way of having a meaningful input into the direction the club takes (obviously through board representation via HSL).

Option for me is we get some degree of fan ownership to further the club while also protecting it from sinister custodians (past Farmer's days), or we just complain about Farmer and then, should a sinister custodian take over after Farmer, we just get a posse down to ER like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Coaching Staff
    Personally I think it's fantastic what HSL are doing and it's encouraging to see many on here embracing it and signing up.

I'd like to ask them what efforts have been made to make a short promotional film to really try and raise awareness. At the moment it seems very 'piecemeal' which can affect the overall (desired) impact.

We have many fans across the globe, some famous, some every day people, but all of us love our club. I was really really drawn to the 'Life With Hibs' films, especially Julie Roberts story about her father and her going to games. Humbling, emotive, compassionate and inspiring (that story). Really showed me what the club means to people and families - across all the generations.

Have HSL considered doing a series of films, or even a collage of filmed 'soundbites' from fans. You could have our celebrity fans doing a wee piece to camera, as well as the 'fan in the street' - I don't know, but a tagline something along the lines of 'this club has owned a part of me over my lifetime, now it's time I own a part of it'..........maybe a bit twee I know, but I really think people will buy into HSL if they see a visual explanation and not just a website. There are some incredibly creative Hibees out there that I am sure could come up with something, even convincing Irvine, Andy, Judy, et al to add a bit of glitz ?

Even having a running counter of contributors so we can see how well we are doing, rather than explaining post by post how many new members ? Would that be counter productive (pardon the pun ).

I think as well as the success of the football team, our marketing over the last 3 years has been tremendous and the envy of other clubs. I think HSL need to add some creativity to the campaign (personally).

But terrific effort all round and by everyone who pays monthly - lots of hard work, energy, and personal time goes into these initiatives - so credit to you

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Aberdeen must be taking a real hit with all the discounts AberDNA are giving: 15% ST discount, 20% RedTV discount, 15% Club Merchandise Discount and so on...I'm sure they have done the calculations on them but seems awfully stupid to ask people to donate monthly then throw discounts at them. From a football club point of view that could equate to £60 off your ST, £8 off a replica shirt, and so on, it could take 3 months of donations to recoup the discounts...bizarre. They even get a replica shirt for free and a "personalised" member card, so much outlay to get donations. That oil money in Aberdeen is obviously doing them wonders...

Much prefer HSL - give money above what you normally give (ST, HibsTV etc.) and it all goes to the sporting ambition of the club. If HSL could do monthly signed shirt/ball raffles for members that would be nice but never understood these discounts and whatnot - club leaks money to encourage you to donate...strange indeed.
    Last edited by madhatter; 11-06-2018 at 06:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Aberdeen must be taking a real hit with all the discounts AberDNA are giving: 15% ST discount, 20% RedTV discount, 15% Club Merchandise Discount and so on...I'm sure they have done the calculations on them but seems awfully stupid to ask people to donate monthly then throw discounts at them. From a football club point of view that could equate to £60 off your ST, £8 off a replica shirt, and so on, it could take 3 months of donations to recoup the discounts...bizarre. They even get a replica shirt for free and a "personalised" member card, so much outlay to get donations. That oil money in Aberdeen is obviously doing them wonders...

Much prefer HSL - give money above what you normally give (ST, HibsTV etc.) and it all goes to the sporting ambition of the club. If HSL could do monthly signed shirt/ball raffles for members that would be nice but never understood these discounts and whatnot - club leaks money to encourage you to donate...strange indeed.
    Ours is also much better from a VAT point of view. For every £1 AFC raise, 16p goes to HMRC. For every £1 HSL raise, HMRC get nothing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!

True. Although if it's just to get folks in the door and then not on the table next season then they'll start to reap the rewards. Short term they're probably breaking even but long term they'll be much better off.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    True. Although if it's just to get folks in the door and then not on the table next season then they'll start to reap the rewards. Short term they're probably breaking even but long term they'll be much better off.
    You cannot give people 15% off their ST then take that away next season even though they are still donating, people will stop their donations. I'd stop mine if something was put out as a "benefit" and then wasn't provided. Not out of a sense of I need the benefits but more out of a sense of being lied to. I think they will make money out of it long-term but these benefits cannot be rescinded without repercussions so they will be curtailing any headway they make either way be that removing benefits or leaving them.

Left by mutual consent!
    You cannot give people 15% off their ST then take that away next season even though they are still donating, people will stop their donations. I'd stop mine if something was put out as a "benefit" and then wasn't provided. Not out of a sense of I need the benefits but more out of a sense of being lied to. I think they will make money out of it long-term but these benefits cannot be rescinded without repercussions so they will be curtailing any headway they make either way be that removing benefits or leaving them.
    Not if you signed up knowing that was the case. Not saying that is the case, it might not be.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Not if you signed up knowing that was the case. Not saying that is the case, it might not be.
    I suppose but signing up for a monthly membership for "benefits" that you can take advantage of in one month...well, if you knew you could get a free shirt, a 15% discount on your ST and everything else but also knew the "benefits" ended there...why would you keep your membership going?

Their membership is not the same as HSL and our donations, they have a more sinister undertone, give to us for personal benefits rather than give to us so we can help the club for the collective fan community. It'll be interesting to see if people stay members of AberDNA once they have their free shirt and 15% discount...

I'm probably stupid but encouraging what are essentially donations via discounts is a bit wonky. You're potentially rewarding the wealthier fans with discounts while the less privileged still have to buy their ST and replica shirt at full price! Nice stuff!
    Last edited by madhatter; 11-06-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    THIS

It's absolutely a no brainer and it's been touched on many times before that, Aberdeen and Hearts have fans contributing many thousands of pounds to try and take their club to a higher level. If we snooze we'll lose!..

We need to back NL to the hilt with this.

A no brainer indeed.
    GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHibby93 View Post
    THIS

It's absolutely a no brainer and it's been touched on many times before that, Aberdeen and Hearts have fans contributing many thousands of pounds to try and take their club to a higher level. If we snooze we'll lose!..

We need to back NL to the hilt with this.

A no brainer indeed.
    GGTTH
    You are right Happy Hibby now is the time to get behind the club

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Personally I think it's fantastic what HSL are doing and it's encouraging to see many on here embracing it and signing up.

I'd like to ask them what efforts have been made to make a short promotional film to really try and raise awareness. At the moment it seems very 'piecemeal' which can affect the overall (desired) impact.

We have many fans across the globe, some famous, some every day people, but all of us love our club. I was really really drawn to the 'Life With Hibs' films, especially Julie Roberts story about her father and her going to games. Humbling, emotive, compassionate and inspiring (that story). Really showed me what the club means to people and families - across all the generations.

Have HSL considered doing a series of films, or even a collage of filmed 'soundbites' from fans. You could have our celebrity fans doing a wee piece to camera, as well as the 'fan in the street' - I don't know, but a tagline something along the lines of 'this club has owned a part of me over my lifetime, now it's time I own a part of it'..........maybe a bit twee I know, but I really think people will buy into HSL if they see a visual explanation and not just a website. There are some incredibly creative Hibees out there that I am sure could come up with something, even convincing Irvine, Andy, Judy, et al to add a bit of glitz ?

Even having a running counter of contributors so we can see how well we are doing, rather than explaining post by post how many new members ? Would that be counter productive (pardon the pun ).

I think as well as the success of the football team, our marketing over the last 3 years has been tremendous and the envy of other clubs. I think HSL need to add some creativity to the campaign (personally).

But terrific effort all round and by everyone who pays monthly - lots of hard work, energy, and personal time goes into these initiatives - so credit to you
    So you want part of hard earned donations used on films instead of towards Lenny's player budget/towards fan ownership. If Hibs fans don't know about HSL thru this/official/social media sites they are not going to learn from films IMO

Progress?

I would hope that after the gains made by HSL with more people contributing over the course of a week, first with the thread here on dot Net followed by the Sky TV appearance, this does not grind to a halt.
    I also think that it would be a good thing if HSL Official were to keep us updated of just how many have joined so that people can gauge momentum for themselves, even if targets have not been as hoped for. A running total would be very good I happen to think, why not show such figures?

The more money that arrives into our great team will eventually mean us bringing in more good players such as Big Flo, keeping the gorgie mob where they belong, and helping us compete on a level playing field with the sheep.

A big well done to all who have signed up through dot Net or through any other way.

GGTTH