hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt you're alone, I pay for season tickets and cab manage the lowest monthly donation for HSL.

Both are my choice though, if I thought either were too much then stop.

Certainly wouldn't feel that I should moan about someone asking for more help just because I thought i was paying enough though. I'd realise that it's a choice to make.

Thats great, good on those who can donate a bit extra. As BF says you shouldn't feel guilt tripped into contributing though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    The fact that you know the exact figure tells me all I need to know. You can't contribute, fair enough. But there's no need to use your sob story to discourage others.

Sob story? You use sob story to try and get things, not discourage others. As I've said previously, good on those who can donate a tad extra.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    That is a tremendous contribution to the club. I don’t see why you would feel pressured to do more?

The "can you afford not to" comment in the OP seems like its putting pressure on non contributors although I dont think it is intended to come across that way.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have to say I don’t like the way this thread is going

In every thread I have read on HSL it is made clear that only those that can afford to do so should consider contributing

I don’t think that the appeals being made are coercing folk who can’t afford to contribute to do do, but I know what being skint is and how easy it is when you are in that position to be intimidated by even well meaning invites.

I don’t like the idea that someone who has said they can’t afford to contribute is being questioned albeit jokingly about making different choices so they can contribute

I get fully that for a variety of other reasons folk aren’t interested or are sick hearing about HSL

But the simple truth is, and this thread proves it, that there are people out there who can and will contribute if reminded about it or given a reason and means to do so.

In the absence of a list detailing these folk, one avenue available to get the message out there and again as this thread proves more importantly keep it out there are threads like this

Can I ask those for whom it holds no interest to respect the good intentions of those trying to make a difference by refraining from clogging up the threads and detracting from the message with their complaints.

If you want to PM me I am quite happy to debate the issue with you offline. Just so as we are clear though I hold no position with HSL nor ever will, this is something I passionately believe in personally.

Folk are smart enough to make up their own minds whether it’s something they want to read or not

As my mum used to say if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing

If nothing else the threads will slide down the board quicker :-)

GGTTH
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 06-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    If you went to less away games you could afford to donate to HSL (devil emoji) 😀

I'd rather go to the away games. Much prefer backing the club in person.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    The fact HSL are now posting quite regularly on .net is a great thing to see. I wish they would set up stalls in the home stands before each match too, to encourage fans not on forums to sign up. I wonder why they don't do this, if it is a case of not having the people to man these stalls then shirley a wee post on here asking for volunteers would help? The more Hibees we get signed up to HSL the better for the team. As others have stated, I have never seen any of HSLs posts asking for something someone hasn't got, they always state 'if you can afford it'.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    FOH’s biggest fan also on here having a go at HSL...

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    The fact HSL are now posting quite regularly on .net is a great thing to see. I wish they would set up stalls in the home stands before each match too, to encourage fans not on forums to sign up. I wonder why they don't do this, if it is a case of not having the people to man these stalls then shirley a wee post on here asking for volunteers would help? The more Hibees we get signed up to HSL the better for the team. As others have stated, I have never seen any of HSLs posts asking for something someone hasn't got, they always state 'if you can afford it'.
    Couldnt agree more a great initiative and dont see what has been done to warrant any criticism. For the betterment of the team you would have thought all Hibs fans would want that.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Not meaning this in a bad way but what's the point responding to this thread stating why you think you donate enough? .
    Trolling?

Attention seeking?

Undermine HSL?

Blog Entries
    Trying to respond to several of the points raised in this thread.
    1. I'm not at all offended by HSL continuing to beat the drum for more members, in fact - - - -
    2. I made a one off donation at inception of HSL but this thread has encouraged me to finally start a monthly donation. I just signed up.
    3. Again, no one should pay more to Hibs than they can afford. That includes season tickets.
    4. On season tickets, part of the reason for our increased sales success is that Hibs responded to fans' feedback by some imaginative pricing, particularly for families.
    5. There is a direct correlation between income & success. The 3 clubs relegated from the EPL last season were all in the 5 lowest season ticket prices. The clubs who finished in the top 4 in our league had 4 of the top 5 season ticket prices. (They only measure top price, not overall value ).
    To summarise it's every fan's choice as to whether or not they join HSL & I would actively discourage anyone from joining if it could cause financial hardship. However, please make that your choice & don't waste time & effort coming on here & complaining about HSL's efforts. We all want the best for our club.

Naw

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I'd rather go to the away games. Much prefer backing the club in person.
    Out of interest how much does an away season ticket cost over the season?

Does the money actually go towards purchasing players or is it split with maintaining East Mains / Sport science etc.

Asking as Lennon said last week he has a bigger budget but that covers all aspects....

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Trolling?

Attention seeking?

Undermine HSL?
    First two I'd say.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    Absolutely correct.

And I also disagree with fundamentally 'the masses' subsidising wealthy footballers or multi-million pound generating businesses.

You both realise that we are getting a collective share in that business by donating, yeah?

Also, if you think any footballers that play for Hibs are wealthy then we have different spectrums of wealth. Players that play for Hibs will need to continue working after hanging their boots up. Hardly Messi, Rinaldo and Neymar territory...

It is optional. You are also subsidising the multimillion pound business via purchases in club store, season tickets etc. so I'm not sure what the difference is. Neither season tickets or strips earn you an ownership share so...if anything is more along the lines of "subsidising".

Quote Originally Posted by York Hibees View Post
    Does the money actually go towards purchasing players or is it split with maintaining East Mains / Sport science etc.

Asking as Lennon said last week he has a bigger budget but that covers all aspects....
    I'm sure it goes directly into the playing budget. Now what that budget entails I don't know exactly but youd need to assume it is for the players wages and other related costs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Naw

Any need..? Just say nothing 👍

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    I'm sure it goes directly into the playing budget. Now what that budget entails I don't know exactly but youd need to assume it is for the players wages and other related costs.
    I personally don't mind money from HSL going towards sport science etc. as its all involved with playing squad or youth development. Part of the reason we are getting better performances out of players is due to this. Whether this happens or not, I have no idea. I don't have direct involvement with HSL. Happy to see players like Porteous and Murray benefitting from Sport Science etc. though.

I personally don't mind money from HSL going towards sport science etc. as its all involved with playing squad or youth development. Part of the reason we are getting better performances out of players is due to this. Whether this happens or not, I have no idea. I don't have direct involvement with HSL. Happy to see players like Porteous and Murray benefitting from Sport Science etc. though.
    Yeah, I am not that bothered where it is used as long as it is used to progress and make the squad better. The new tie up with Andy Murrays company is exciting too and will benefit the two youngsters no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Is buying a season ticket not enough? After all those funds go straight in the managers transfer budget don't they?
    Hermit

We get the gist of your comment. Allow us to answer in two parts :

1. Season Ticket money is core income to the Club and goes to pay for core expenses, rather like wages in a household. It pays for rates,mortgage, electricity etc and whatever is left goes towards wages. HSL donations are directed straight towards the Football Department.

2. We don't know if anyone noticed in the original post, underneath HSL, we annotated courtesy of A Hi-Bee. The reason for this was that in a previous thread it had been suggested to us that we should make our threads a lot more direct, and make it clearer that the funds will help Neil Lennon. As a result of this feedback we invited suggestions from our fellow supporters as to how we could re position things slightly. A Hi-Bee suggested this Thread Title and we took him/her up on that offer.

We say this not to embarrass anyone but to highlight how difficult it can be for us to get wording just right so as not to cause offence. Can we once again re-iterate :

Please only donate to HSL if it really is spare cash that you won't miss. It is not an investment, you won't see your money again, we cannot by any manner of means even guarantee football success. All we can do is give additional funds to the Club to make available to Neil and the Team and rest is "just football".

We have many supporters who are simply not in a financial to contribute to HSL right now and they are every bit a Hibs supporter as the rest of us.

HSL

I’m thinking of signing up but only if it’s for the playing budget directly. If it’s not the original poster needs to re-write or close his thread.

I’m thinking of signing up but only if it’s for the playing budget directly. If it’s not the original poster needs to re-write or close his thread.
    The money goes to the playing budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Hmmm... this needs clarified.

At the outset, it was "to fund sporting performance". Most of us took that as being exclusively for players.

However, there was a thread on here about a month ago which mentioned GC wanting to use some of the HSL cash for a psychologist for Ryan Porteous.

Personally, I'm okay with that. However, it will be important for some if 100% of the money doesn't go to the playing budget.

All of it? If so I’m in. I’m happy to help the club keep the like of mcgeouch / buy Mallan etc but not wanting to pay above my season ticket on maintaining east mains etc which is my personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Hmmm... this needs clarified.

At the outset, it was "to fund sporting performance". Most of us took that as being exclusively for players.

However, there was a thread on here about a month ago which mentioned GC wanting to use some of the HSL cash for a psychologist for Ryan Porteous.

Personally, I'm okay with that. However, it will be important for some if 100% of the money doesn't go to the playing budget.
    I missed that. I’m cool with that as well.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I missed that. I’m cool with that as well.

But some may not be. York for one.

It's always been a bit unclear to me.

All of it? If so I’m in. I’m happy to help the club keep the like of mcgeouch / buy Mallan etc but not wanting to pay above my season ticket on maintaining east mains etc which is my personal choice.
    Maintenance of east mains will be covered within the clubs budget as it need to happen no matter what.
    This is extra money that the club spends on nice things like better players or psychologists to keep their heads right apparently.

@hibs.net private member
    Honestly gobsmacked that so many folk on this thread have managed to moan about a scheme that's entirely voluntary and, as has been confirmed many times, contributes funds directly to the playing budget.

Maybe some posters should start a new thread entitled 'Here's why I don't think Hibs should try to generate more income'. Reasons apparently include:
    - cos if we do, Hamilton an that will too and we'll be nae better off
    - football clubs are horrible capitalist institutions and if we give them more money it'll only mean players buy more Lamborghinis

I finally got round to setting up a DD in response to a thread like this a few months back so this form of marketing clearly works. Others on this thread have confirmed it.

Also I'm firmly in the camp that it's not just whether they can afford to contribute that should shape anyone's decision, it's also about whether they even want to. And in my book someone who can afford it but chooses to spend their money elsewhere is no less of a Hibby than someone who voluntarily wants to chip in a bit more. It's an entertainment business after all and none of us owes the club anything. I certainly wouldn't dissuade anyone who wants to help improve the club from doing so though.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Out of interest how much does an away season ticket cost over the season?

You'd need to add up the cost of every away match ticket, each club has different prices.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    But some may not be. York for one.

It's always been a bit unclear to me.
    I imagine all the football budget is allocated to George Craig and he doles it out as is needed. Probably all the HSL money goes in with that. Most of that will be spent on the first team but some will be spent on coaches, back room staff etc.