hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

One match, one moment you could have for a "re-take"

Some fantastic memories on the "relive a match thread". So this time, what if you were allowed to wave the magic wand to get a second chance for one particular moment - a re-take if you like, hoping for a different outcome?

Just the one chance - one match, one moment.

Must be loads, but which would have had the biggest potential impact on Hibs or you personally?
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 06-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    Bobby Duncan’s piledriver of a strike to open the scoring against Napoli.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some fantastic memories on the "relive a match thread". So this time, what if you were allowed to wave the magic wand to get a second chance for one particular moment - a re-take if you like, hoping for a different outcome?

Must be loads, but which would have had the biggest potential impact on Hibs or you personally?
    Cummings penalty against Hamilton maybe give it to someone more experienced though don’t suppose it would have mattered better team won we win as a team lose as a team.

GGTTH

Hunter’s goal at tynecastle for me

Quote Originally Posted by Newcastlehibby View Post
    Bobby Duncan’s piledriver of a strike to open the scoring against Napoli.
    Hoping for a different outcome?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    About 53182365 last minute chances to get an equaliser/winner in the derby, most notable being Collins' miss in the last one before we went down. That would have brought it back to 2-2 from 0-2 and I suspect we would have gone on to win.

Failing that, Cummings' shot going in instead of hitting the bar in the playoff semi final at Falkirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Hunter’s goal at tynecastle for me
    Yep- Has to be this!
    Absolute , 100% elation, bedlam, madness

The Suso dive outside the box at 2-1 in the SC Final. Although I’m sure Craig Thomson could watch it 100 times and still somehow award a penalty and a red card.

Not sure if we’d have gone on to equalise or not, but certainly wouldn’t have been the humping it was.

Considering where we are as a club atm you maybe wouldn't want to go too far back

Recent ones could be MacLaren's 2 misses against Aberdeen I suppose

Score and we may well have won, he also probably wouldn't have been dropped for the derby

Imo our lineup was all wrong in that game and playing with 2 up top would have drastically increased our odds

I think if we beat Aberdeen we'd have been favourites for 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    The Suso dive outside the box at 2-1 in the SC Final. Although I’m sure Craig Thomson could watch it 100 times and still somehow award a penalty and a red card.

Not sure if we’d have gone on to equalise or not, but certainly wouldn’t have been the humping it was.
    May well have still been a humping tbh, that team was rotten and incredibly mentally fragile

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post

It was still a yellow, his second.

That said, playing without Kujabi might have given an advantage to us.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Oddly enough, it is a game I didn't go to. I was listening to the 10 men derby game on the car radio in the wilds of Scotland when Gaz scored the winner. I went totally ballistic. Probably more than I would have had I been at ER.
    <-- me.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

It wasn’t even a foul, so shouldn’t have been a booking or a sending off. Clear dive if you can bare to watch it again!

Luna header in the last min of normal time against AEK. The roof would have come off every stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Luna header in the last min of normal time against AEK. The roof would have come off every stand.
    And I wouldn't have kicked the concrete base my terracing seat was sitting on and ended up limping about for days.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    May well have still been a humping tbh, that team was rotten and incredibly mentally fragile
    What about a straight red in the first minute to Ian Black for elbowing the back of Sparkys heid?

PS

Some posters on here are on the wrong thread.
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-06-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: soelling

Both mine involve McGinlays!

Scottish cup final 1979 - Brian McGinlay gives the penalty for McCloy's assault on Colin Campbell. Ally MacLeod (the real one) steps up and slots it home.

Scottish Cup semi vs Celtc at Ibrox in 1995. Game at 0-0 heading into the last couple of mins and Jim Leighton has just saved Andy ****er's penalty. Hibs, who have been pretty ***** all game, come alive. Darren Jackson slides a shot just wide and then, as we go into injury time, Pat McGinlay has a rasping shot from about 25 yards that instead of clipping the outside of the post, goes just inside. First division Airdrie await in the final and we murder them, stopping the clock at a mere 93 years!

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Oddly enough, it is a game I didn't go to. I was listening to the 10 men derby game on the car radio in the wilds of Scotland when Gaz scored the winner. I went totally ballistic. Probably more than I would have had I been at ER.
    <-- me.
    Absolute scenes that day!!

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

The Flying elbow to the back of Griffiths neck in the first 5 mins of the cup final from the painter.

This time with a ref who didn't support hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This one def on my list although had he scored, what would the longer term impact have been, other than a mentally joyous moment/night?

Also unsure about any "re-takes" that would have prevented (or shortened?) our recent spell in the Championship. Are we not a stronger team now for that spell? Being able to develop the team and playing the Hibs way again was made possible by that spell and who knows where we might be had we remained a struggling Prem team.

Aberdeen or Hearts game in the post split fixtures.

We'd have finished 2nd if we won up at Pittodrie IMO and third if we never gave away schoolboy defending goals vs hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post

Not a match moment, but what if Celtc didn't poach Jock Stein in 1965?

It's not inconceivable that at that time Hibs could have gone on to win the European Cup.

That 2-2 against Celtic at Easter Road last season.

After being 2-0 down, bringing it back to 2-2. Imagine what it would have been like had Shaw’s shot to make it 3 in the last minute not been cleared off the line? Imagine the scenes after being 2-nil down, to go on and end the ‘Invincibles’ streak in such a manner?

If only Lustig had been a few inches to the right..,

Lately, either McGregor would have put his foot through it at Tynecastle or Whittaker's header would have gone in against Rangers. Probably the latter, 4-0 inside 25 and I think we'd have done it, as opposed to being 3-1 and all over.

Bit further back, Rocky's header in the cup against Aberdeen would have gone in.

And way back, probably two involving Scott Brown in 2006/07. If he hadnt missed when clean through in the League Cup game we'd have mbttered then instead of only winning 1-0, and his chip cleared off the line against Dunfermline in the semi final replay. A double that year would have been one of the only ways to better how we ended up winning the thing.

Paco Luna's header
    MacLaren's penalty at Pittodrie
    John Collins starting lineup in the SC semi replay against Dunfermline
    Ivan's shot that came off the post in the first leg against Dnipro

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Both mine involve McGinlays!

Scottish cup final 1979 - Brian McGinlay gives the penalty for McCloy's assault on Colin Campbell. Ally MacLeod (the real one) steps up and slots it home.

Scottish Cup semi vs Celtc at Ibrox in 1995. Game at 0-0 heading into the last couple of mins and Jim Leighton has just saved Andy ****er's penalty. Hibs, who have been pretty ***** all game, come alive. Darren Jackson slides a shot just wide and then, as we go into injury time, Pat McGinlay has a rasping shot from about 25 yards that instead of clipping the outside of the post, goes just inside. First division Airdrie await in the final and we murder them, stopping the clock at a mere 93 years!
    Just what i was going to say

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Failing that, Cummings' shot going in instead of hitting the bar in the playoff semi final at Falkirk.
    I’m a big believer in the butterfly effect.

So if we had beaten falkirk, I don’t think we would’ve won the Scottish cup, or ended up with Neil Lennon in charge and be where we are now. We may well have been promoted the following season, but it would still have been in front of crowds of 9k.

Same goes for beating Hamilton in the relegation play off. Yes we might have stayed up, but I don’t think 4 years later we’d be in the place we are now.

I’d maybe just go for Maclaren retaking his penalty against Aberdeen recently.
    Or going back to just before Aberdeen’s 3rd goal in last seasons cup semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the home European game against Liege, Goram not running up and instructing Houchen to put his penalty in the opposite corner.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I’m a big believer in the butterfly effect.

So if we had beaten falkirk, I don’t think we would’ve won the Scottish cup, or ended up with Neil Lennon in charge and be where we are now. We may well have been promoted the following season, but it would still have been in front of crowds of 9k.

Same goes for beating Hamilton in the relegation play off. Yes we might have stayed up, but I don’t think 4 years later we’d be in the place we are now.

I’d maybe just go for Maclaren retaking his penalty against Aberdeen recently.
    Or going back to just before Aberdeen’s 3rd goal in last seasons cup semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Aberdeen semi last year is a good shout actually

We really ought to have won that game and kept the 2 in a row dream alive

I'd have David Gray scoring the winner 2 minutes later.. just for complete perfection.