hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stand Renaming

Stand Renaming

The subject appeared on the James Connolly thread and just wondered - has there ever been much appetite from within the club at working together meetings or AGM about either the East or West being renamed?

Personally, I'd be happy to see the West renamed the "Sir Tom Farmer Stand"

"The East" is all I've ever known for that stand and brings a lot of memories so no need to rename? Although a nod to the "Time for Heroes' team would be fitting?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Once he's retired, I would support a stand being named after David Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The subject appeared on the James Connolly thread and just wondered - has there ever been much appetite from within the club at working together meetings or AGM about either the East or West being renamed?

"The East" is all I've ever known for that stand and brings a lot of memories so no need to rename? Although a nod to the "Time for Heroes' team would be fitting?
    I think the East is fine as it is, but i'd be happy for the club to rename the south stand. The name could be voted for by fans on the clubs database, email a wee surveymonkey out to everyone on the list and go with the most popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Once he's retired, I would support a stand being named after David Gray.
    I think that would be quite popular. As would James Connolly, Tom Farmer and maybe even Alan Stubbs. There's not a clear choice IMO so there'd need to be some sort of consultation/vote.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I wouldn’t mind the South Stand being named on a commercial basis, after all we gave decades of free publicity to James Dunbar and co when that part of the ground was a terracing.

I've always liked the idea of "the Farmer Stand" naming not after only Sir Tom but also his relatives from years ago.

If it wasn't for these people our club wouldn't exist, and I think that deserves some sort of acknowledgment.

A decent shout could be made for Pat Stanton or Joe Baker too.

@hibs.net private member
    Personally not a big fan of naming stands unless there is a really obvious candidate.

Man Utd naming one after Fergie is a no-brainier given the decades of success he gave to the club.

SDG is a hero to all Hibs fans but I'm not sure convinced he deserves a stand named after the him.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I think that would be quite popular. As would James Connolly, Tom Farmer and maybe even Alan Stubbs. There's not a clear choice IMO so there'd need to be some sort of consultation/vote.
    Personally, if any one person deserves a stand renamed after them it should be Eddie Turnbull or Tom Farmer.

Any others are, imo, too much about personal preference, what era u grew up etc

Turnbull is unique in that he straddles our two greatest post-war sides, and sever with distinction as both player and manager.

Farmer for obvious reasons...

Also wouldn't be against our founders, Messrs Whelahan and Hannon being recognised

Left by mutual consent!

Wouldnt be much point in naming it that,as you generally sell the name for money...which makes more sense.

And nobody is going to pay to call it that.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    We've too many decent candidates and only 4 stands! Would it be an option to name individual blocks within the stands - we've got almost 50 to choose from?
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    We've too many decent candidates and only 4 stands! Would it be an option to name individual blocks within the stands - we've got almost 50 to choose from?
    There's only 1 that would meet my high standards!

I should hope that Farmer would have a stand named after him at some point.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Only 3 to be named tho as we already have the Famous Five.

Should be a sponsor stand. No point using naming rights and not making money from it.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Should be a sponsor stand. No point using naming rights and not making money from it.

I agree, sell the naming rights make some money..spend it on the team.

Gotta be Farmer, without whom.....

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I agree, sell the naming rights make some money..spend it on the team.
    100%. The east will always be the east, the Dunbar end/south will always be that no matter what sponsors name was attached to them. I wouldn't mind ER being rebranded in a similar way to BT Murrayfield. Not changing the whole name but something like BT Easter Road stadium would be acceptable to me. The more money we can make to spend on the team the better

I think we should rename the West Stand as the South Stand, the East as the North, the South Stand as the East Stand and the North Stand as the 4th Stand😁

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I don't like naming stands after companies however, if we have to for commercial reasons, I suggest we do it on a term basis - say 10 years. A bit like the top sponsorship. The only problem with that is that each generation will have a different name for the same stand.
    Re. naming it after a person, as someone said we have more worthy contenders than stands. STF would be my first choice if we do go down that road.
    Last edited by snooky; 06-06-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Let's change our name to Edinburgh North East. The commercial opportunities will be greater and we'll always be known as Hibs so what does it matter.

££££££££££

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Rename the East The Pat Stanton Stand after our greatest ever player.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    Rename the East The Pat Stanton Stand after our greatest ever player.
    I’ve always planned if I won the lottery to pay Hibs to call it the Stanton/o’Rourke Stand...cannae split them.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    If we're going to rename a stand it should be for contributions to the Club. I'd hope Sir Tom gets one. I don't know what you'd call it, but one 'themed' around the cup winning teams/captains would be nice? Give it some personality inside with photos and memorabilia.

I don't think it should really be a priority though, save it til one of the stands needs to be refreshed anyway.

@hibs.net private member

Why do we need to start naming every part of the stadium.
    Is it because everyone else is doing it these days.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    Why do we need to start naming every part of the stadium.
    Is it because everyone else is doing it these days.
    We don’t have to but it’s a nice touch to pay homage to the greats of our past.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    I would be 100% behind renaming the stands with something meaningful, Tom Farmer would be top of that list for me. As for company names, firmly opposed.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I think the West should be called the Sir Tom Farmer stand, he and his family have done more than enough to deserve that. Apart from that I would be happy to keep the East and South as they are now. I'm not for selling the naming rights to any stand, the stands should memorialise people who have massively contributed to our team, like the Famous Five and STF.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    The Stubbs Stand

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    The Sir Tom Farmer Stand for the west is an absolute must. At the risk of sounding a bit morbid (which I really don't mean to do) I'd really like to see it done sooner rather than later. These things are so often left until the person isn't around to see it and that would be a huge shame imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Wouldnt be much point in naming it that,as you generally sell the name for money...which makes more sense.

And nobody is going to pay to call it that.
    There seemed to be a point in naming the north stand after the Famous 5. And I'm fairly sure Turnbull and co never paid for that.