hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If you could go back to relive a match as new, which one?

Close season stuff this, but if you could relive a match as if watching it for the first time, which match would it be? Let's discount what to me are the three obvious ones - 2016 Final, 0-7 and 6-2.

Nothing changes, no magic re-taking of penalties, no second bite at the cherry for missed sitters etc, just exactly the same match watched over again but as if watching it for the first time?

Not sure what my Hibs match would be, maybe 5-0 v. Napoli in the Fairs cup in '67 (not that I saw it first time round), but Scotland would def be Wembley '67.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    0-7
    .....then SCF 2016

Sproule hat-trick at Ibrox was a great day out.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    0-7
    .....then SCF 2016
    Shout! That and HIBS 6 v 1 Sporting Lisbon HIBS totally unplayable second half down the slope.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    4-3 against Falkirk, 4-0 Vs Sevco

Ruling THAT game out for being too obvious.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    2-2.

The 2nd half onwards of the 4-3 Falkirk semi. The despair/joy/relief rollercoaster was bonkers. A lot of my English colleagues at the time who weren't really interested in scottish football but knew I'd travelled up for it, were watching on tv and were texting me grief at HT. By FT they were in disbelief that we'd come back. Think a couple of them had a soft spot for us after that day.
    An obvious one would be the 4-0 v Rangers but the 4-0 against Dunfermline to secure safety was just as good for me. I remember being so tense and nervous before the game but we totally blew them away. The early goals let everyone relax and enjoy the game and the result was never in doubt. It was the 1st time I'd ever sat in the south as well so that made it a bit more memorable for me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Apart from the obvious) then for Hibs it would be the millennium derby - the first time I'd seen us win there.

Scotland winning 1-0 in Paris was right up there for the day/ night out though.

Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed the Scottish Cup semi final win against Aberdeen back in 2012 when O'Connor scored. It was my brothers first Hibs match too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Scottish Cup win. It might be obvious but it would be so far ahead of every other game that there’s no point in not saying it.

3-2 Barcelona.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    1-1 draw with Kilmarnock on 10th of December 1979. Ally McLeod scored a lovely volley to equalise in the second half. Only game I ever attended with my Granda who died a few years later. It would be lovely to be sat next to him again in the old main stand, banging our feet on the wooden floor to stay warm and him with a travel rug over his knees. The smell of the old blokes pipe behind us, being bought sweets (some Chelsea Whoppers and fruit salad in a wee white bag) on the way there, being 11 years old and in awe of the ground and the players and the whole atmosphere of a "proper" football match.

I remember he made me stand outside the bookies on the way there and a couple of old ladies said "Come on the Hibees!" as I stood, back against the bookies window, looking down at the badges on my new scarf. My mum had sewn a Hibs Ace of Clubs patch on especially the night before.

A chance to be 11 again and chat to my Granda and see the players from my youth (McLeod, Rae, Jackie Mac, Ralph Callachan, Craig Paterson, Arthur Duncan, Tony Higgins) would be worth more than some of the more famous and spectacular results in Hibs History.

First Team Breakthrough
    THAT day in May is obviously the favourite but for me it would be 4-1 against St Mirren when Stokes made his debut again, it was my wee boys first Hibs game and it got him hooked!

4-3 v Falkirk well the 2nd half!

@hibs.net private member
    My first ever Hibs match. Edinburgh Derby, 2-0 win.

I went with my Hearts supporting uncle and there was no trouble among the mixed crowd.

Sport as it should be. 😁

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Apart from the cup win, which is way ahead of any game for me, then it has to be the Sporting Lisbon game, what a match, what a performance and probably the best atmosphere i have witnessed at Easter Road.

Outwith the cup game, it would be the Millennium derby for me.

I was there but was only 12 so didn’t properly appreciate it I don’t think.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 05-06-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    1-1 draw with Kilmarnock on 10th of December 1979. Ally McLeod scored a lovely volley to equalise in the second half. Only game I ever attended with my Granda who died a few years later. It would be lovely to be sat next to him again in the old main stand, banging our feet on the wooden floor to stay warm and him with a travel rug over his knees. The smell of the old blokes pipe behind us, being bought sweets (some Chelsea Whoppers and fruit salad in a wee white bag) on the way there, being 11 years old and in awe of the ground and the players and the whole atmosphere of a "proper" football match.

I remember he made me stand outside the bookies on the way there and a couple of old ladies said "Come on the Hibees!" as I stood, back against the bookies window, looking down at the badges on my new scarf. My mum had sewn a Hibs Ace of Clubs patch on especially the night before.

A chance to be 11 again and chat to my Granda and see the players from my youth (McLeod, Rae, Jackie Mac, Ralph Callachan, Craig Paterson, Arthur Duncan, Tony Higgins) would be worth more than some of the more famous and spectacular results in Hibs History.
    Don’t often post on here but that is worthy of comment.....beautifully written and evocative - thanks for sharing and a great memory for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    1/1/73

It's a hard one. Even though it wasn't a win, coming back to draw 2-2 at Tynecastle was brilliant. But I think I'd have to go for the 4-0 thrashing of Rangers in our first year of the championship. We were absolutely fantastic and Scott Allan was unplayable that day. Was nice to put the boot into them after growing up watching them thrash us for years.

Not exactly a trophy-winning or league defining game but it was definitely a turning point between the two clubs, I now never go into a Rangers game thinking we can't win like I used to about 10-15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    1/1/73
    Were you there Fred?

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    The one where GOC scored the last minute winner to beat rje Yams 1-0 at ER. Can't remember celebrating a goal like we did that one.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    The 4-3 vs Falkirk was a rollercoaster of emotions and a pretty great game. Also the 4-0 humping of the huns at Easter Road was great too and finally the cup game against the gorgie gimps 1-0 at Easter Road when we had 89% possession, I loved that game and would like to live through it again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post
    The one where GOC scored the last minute winner to beat rje Yams 1-0 at ER. Can't remember celebrating a goal like we did that one.
    That was the one we played with 10 men when Brebner got sent off wasn't it?

First Team Breakthrough
    I'll not repeat any of the previous games, so I'll go for...

AEK Athens at ER. Arguably the birth of SOL as "a thing". Also, I feel like if I revisited it, Paco Luna's last header might go in this time!

Quote Originally Posted by YanYansen View Post
    I'll not repeat any of the previous games, so I'll go for...

AEK Athens at ER. Arguably the birth of SOL as "a thing". Also, I feel like if I revisited it, Paco Luna's last header might go in this time!
    Not allowed to change the rules as set out by the OP but I hear ye!

Obviously like everyone else 21/5/16 changed everything. Apart from that I'm torn between 5-0 v Napoli (coming back from 4-1 deficit against an Italian side was unheard of then) and the 1972 LC win over celic (first time I saw Hibs win a major trophy).

And I'm going to plump for the latter.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Close season stuff this, but if you could relive a match as if watching it for the first time, which match would it be? Let's discount what to me are the three obvious ones - 2016 Final, 0-7 and 6-2.

Nothing changes, no magic re-taking of penalties, no second bite at the cherry for missed sitters etc, just exactly the same match watched over again but as if watching it for the first time?

Not sure what my Hibs match would be, maybe 5-0 v. Napoli in the Fairs cup in '67 (not that I saw it first time round), but Scotland would def be Wembley '67.
    2016 Final, 0-7 and 6-2

Nice one.

Some folk not reading the OP ie matches excluding 2016 Cup Final, 0-7 and 6-2.