hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 140 of 140
  1. #121
    First Team Breakthrough Stanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of my family's own as well 💚
    The excellent sports writer and columnist ( and Edinburgh born and bred Hibs fan ) the late Ian Bell was James Connolly's grand nephew


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    First Team Breakthrough Stanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think anybody theorising that Hibs commemorating James Connolly would be bad for the club is doing that based on their ignorance of Connolly or of the social deprivation that spawned him and the club. Its not our ( in your words ) ignorance of Irish political history, the social history of Edinburgh or James Connolly himself that would be the problem, its the public perception of Connolly or any other prominent figure in the history of Irish republicanism which would be the problem ...... any move by Hibs to commemorate Connolly in any official way would result in the club being seen to align itself publicly to the cause of a united Ireland .... if that preception displays an ignorance of the subject by the population at large that is indeed a shame, but it still wont help Hibs when the inevitable backlash occurs. If you don't think there would be one then you are deluding yourself.

    Take my word for it .... Hibs being seen as getting involved in religion, sectarianism and being painted a 'mini Celtic' would be exactly what would happen and no matter how wrong such accusations would be they would be inevitable and even if just some of the mud stuck it would damage our club .... in view of that no matter how noble it would be to ignore the nay sayers and do it anyway its something anybody with the good of Hibernian football club at heart just cant want the club to get involved in.
    I don't truly believe anyone seriously thinks it will be good idea to link the club to Connolly .....but the city should ( and will eventually though it's taking too long ) commemorate a political giant overlooked for far too long

  4. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by IngolstadtHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are obviously not an admin because in such a case you wouldn't have found the time to obsessively stalk the posts of other members.
    I am generally a reader rather than a writer and am grateful (as a Hibby living abroad) to have been generously helped by Edinburgh-based fellow-members who have neither questioned my loyalty to the club nor trawled through my posts before offering their assisstance. Even though I don't live in Scotland, I have as much right as you to express my political opinions, ask about streams, enquire about tickets or anything else which is within the rules set by the administrators of this site. So don't try to tell me where to go or whom to leave alone, son.
    Firstly, i am not your son. Yet another of your attempts to talk down to folk. Not very socialist of you.
    As for trawling your posts. You have only made 32 posts in the last 5 years so it was more of a glance than a trawl.

    Politics should be kept to the Holy Ground.
    Maybe just for a wee change you could talk about football on this football forum.

  5. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Well said that man. I've just logged on and I'm disappointed that this particular thread hasn't been sent to the political forum where it certainly belongs.
    Why keep clicking on it if it offends you?
    If the local newsagent carries the Sun and I know that I don't like it, it would be foolish of me to keep leafing through it, 'nursing my wrath to keep it warm', so to speak.;-)

  6. #125
    First Team Regular The Pointer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Two hours west of the weege.
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Along with thousands of other working class people from all over Britain.

    This thread is screaming for the Holy Ground.
    And thousands of non 'working clas' Scots. Have a look at War Memorials in any town or village in the country.

  7. #126
    @hibs.net private member Keekaboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mount Florida
    Posts
    19,634
    Quote Originally Posted by IngolstadtHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That shows me that you know absolutely zilch about Connolly.
    Connolly was an internationalist who wished to spread socialism to the entire world. He specifically said that Irish independence, achieved without the establishment of a socialist republic, would merely be transferring the 'ownership' of the workers from one set of landlords to another. Drop what you've been told about Connolly, drop the knee-jerking, and read a book.

    I'm sure he was a fantastic guy but, whether you like it or not, he is very much remembered for his part in the Irish struggle for independence and I don't think Hibs as a club would be wise to get involved in what I'm sure you already know fine well is an irritatingly divisive subject in certain parts of Scottish Football.

    Also, at no point did I make any 'knee jerk' reactions and I find it telling you've had to resort to jibes at other posters that don't share your point of view

  8. #127
    @hibs.net private member Keekaboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mount Florida
    Posts
    19,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't truly believe anyone seriously thinks it will be good idea to link the club to Connolly .....but the city should ( and will eventually though it's taking too long ) commemorate a political giant overlooked for far too long

    I would have no problem with that, if it's what they choose to do.

  9. #128
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,741
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And thousands of non 'working clas' Scots. Have a look at War Memorials in any town or village in the country.
    Indeed. True all across the UK.

  10. #129
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,741
    Quote Originally Posted by IngolstadtHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are obviously not an admin because in such a case you wouldn't have found the time to obsessively stalk the posts of other members.
    I am generally a reader rather than a writer and am grateful (as a Hibby living abroad) to have been generously helped by Edinburgh-based fellow-members who have neither questioned my loyalty to the club nor trawled through my posts before offering their assisstance. Even though I don't live in Scotland, I have as much right as you to express my political opinions, ask about streams, enquire about tickets or anything else which is within the rules set by the administrators of this site. So don't try to tell me where to go or whom to leave alone, son.
    'obsessively stalk'

    You've only got 33 posts mate, it takes about a minute to look at what interests you. Hardly either a weird or difficult thing to do to try and see where someone is coming from generally.

  11. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Son of Irish immigrants
    Childhood Hibs fan
    Socialist
    trade union organiser
    writer and thinker
    leader of the Irish Citizen Army raised to resist the police brutality aimed at the workers during the Dublin lockout of 1913
    Signatory of the proclamation of Irish Independence
    revolutionary and soldier
    executed tied to a chair in 1916 for his role in the Easter Rising

    Irish National Hero
    Hero of the Working Class
    largely ignored in his home city
    well it just shows what abroad church we Hibbies are. Diverse and all that

    taking your list form the top

    British
    Childhood Hibs fan
    Tory
    Free Marketeer
    writer and thinker
    supporter of No
    revolution is not for me
    gosh no death penalty please

    If Scotland not playing happy to support England at World Cup, but also more than happy for the Irish to do well against non home teams
    Working class? That's a bit 1950's ain'it

    yes largely ignored by his home city!!!
    ..

  12. #131
    First Team Breakthrough vercol36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canongate
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Hibs as a club would be wise to get involved in what I'm sure you already know fine well is an irritatingly divisive subject in certain parts of Scottish Football.
    I get your point to a degree, though surely the Irish revolution is not what divides parts of Scotland?! You won't get many Scots saying that the entire island should still be under British dominion! The part of Scottish culture that seems divisive to me is the obsession with British Northern Ireland and the religious divide.

  13. #132
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    10,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nowhere in my post did I make any assertion that Hibernian FC should formally associate themselves with James Connolly in any way so maybe you should read my post again

    In fact I quite clearly said in my final sentence was that I wouldn't want to see a stand named after him which had been suggested by some posters. What I did say was that as a son of the Coogate and a Hibs fan it was quite fitting that his anniversary be acknowledged on dot net. That is a totally different thing from what you are implying I said !

    i have absolutely no interest in Hibernian FC acknowledging James Connolly in any way, shape or form but I do think that he deserves to be commemorated by the City of Edinburgh to a far greater degree than he has been. Unfortunately the default position of so many when Connolly is mentioned is the stereotyped nonsense that some on here have been guilty of and so its highly unlikely to happen.

    I hope this is clear enough for you to understand !
    I never suggested that you did, most of my post was a reiteration of my own opinion on the matter, not a direct response to your post. The only part where I am directly addressing what you said is where you assert that a lot of the opinions being expressed are based on an ignorance of the subject matter, which in my opinion is not the case, and certainly isn't the case when it comes to me.

    As for your last sentence .... nae need for it mate I understood your post just fine, I just didn't agree with all of it ..ok?

  14. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    'obsessively stalk'

    You've only got 33 posts mate, it takes about a minute to look at what interests you. Hardly either a weird or difficult thing to do to try and see where someone is coming from generally.
    What I'd like to know is WHY you are so interested, firstly in counting them, and secondly in examining their content.
    Bit weird, if you ask me.
    Anything else you'd like to tell us about your 'hobbies', mate?

  15. #134
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    48,986
    My grandad and mother were born in the cowgate too, both bigger Hibs fans than Connolly ever was.

  16. #135
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,787
    ^^Name a couple of stands after them

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    48,986
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^^Name a couple of stands after them

    Nah, they dont deserve that accolade, there are much more deserving players for that honour.

  18. #137
    @hibs.net private member Keekaboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mount Florida
    Posts
    19,634
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My grandad and mother were born in the cowgate too, both bigger Hibs fans than Connolly ever was.

    Billy was a Partick Thistle fan..... allegedly.

  19. #138
    @hibs.net private member Keekaboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mount Florida
    Posts
    19,634
    Quote Originally Posted by IngolstadtHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I'd like to know is WHY you are so interested, firstly in counting them, and secondly in examining their content.
    Bit weird, if you ask me.
    Anything else you'd like to tell us about your 'hobbies', mate?

    Maybe he's a member of the Illuminati as well



  20. #139
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not having a go at you personally here my friend but once again here lies the myth and ignorance of Irelands desire for self determination. It is not and never has been an Irish Catholic struggle. There was a struggle forcatholic emancipation and the discontinuation of the catholic penal laws in Ireland but that was a generally peaceful mass movement under Daniel O'Connell and not geared towards independence , purely geared towards law change and equality for Catholics.

    Irelands struggle for independence has NEVER been linked to Catholicism. Prominent Protestants have featured and played most important roles throughout. In fact the RC church was often at odds and in dispute with physical force Republicans.
    Prominent Protestants fighting for Ireland against Britain included, Theobald Wolfe-Tone , Robert Emmet , Bulmer Hobson , Countess Markievicz , Jack White ( Deputy to Connolly in the Irish citizen Army ) , Roger Casement ( executed 1916 ) , Robert erskine Childers , Robert Barton , Ernest Blythe , Sam Maguire ( the GAA play each year for the Sam Maguire cup ) , Douglas Hyde ( first president of the Irish Republic ) .....even up to the more recent conflict , Protestants killed fighting on the Irish Republican side include David Russell , John Turnley , Ronnie Bunting , Noel Lyttle and Tom Berry.

    Highlighting this fact doesn't fit in with the " sectarian narrative " we are fed by our media.
    Well put. The religion stuff is a smokescreen as the actual reasons for struggle are all too real.

  21. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never suggested that you did, most of my post was a reiteration of my own opinion on the matter, not a direct response to your post. The only part where I am directly addressing what you said is where you assert that a lot of the opinions being expressed are based on an ignorance of the subject matter, which in my opinion is not the case, and certainly isn't the case when it comes to me.

    As for your last sentence .... nae need for it mate I understood your post just fine, I just didn't agree with all of it ..ok?
    I think you read what you wanted to read not what I actually wrote and I think you are trying to dig yourself out of a bit of a hole now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved