hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I respect Stubbs massively for the job he did in bringing some of these players to the club and of course for winning the cup. He’s a club legend forever.

Would I be desperate for him to return? Probably not.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not talking about bringing him back to Hibs. Lennon has put us on another level and I’d hope we stay there after Lennon leaves. If Stubbs did come back I’d hope he’d have gained more experience but I wouldn’t be shouting for his name.

But I will give him the praise he deserves for building what we have right now because without him we’d still no doubt be a rudderless ship. We got the right man at the right time.
    Correct F, especially considering what he inherited when he game into the club. 21/05/16 aside, that man (along with George Craig and Leeann) brought our club back to life.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    I refuse to believe the tired excuse, regardless of the amount of games we played this run of results was nothing more than pathetic.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
    This one was ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Correct F, especially considering what he inherited when he game into the club. 21/05/16 aside, that man (along with George Craig and Leeann) brought our club back to life.
    Bang on, without them I’d hate to think where we’d be.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This one was ok though.

Correct.

I can only wish Stubbsy well in his new role...except, of course, against us.

First Team Breakthrough
    Good luck to Stubbsy he got the monkey off the back and brought some marvelous players to the club who are still with Hibs now. McGregor, Mcginn, Mcgeoch, Boyle, Gray, Bartley and partly Scott Allan. He brought these players in that gave us that great day. Replacing them over the next few months will be extremely difficult for Neil.

Top man, good manager, Legend. Will be well received when he comes to ER with his new team.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Top man, good manager, Legend. Will be well received when he comes to ER with his new team.
    The way I remember Stubbs is that he took over when we were in the depth of despair. He left us after the cup final when we were euphoric!
    Total legend who along with Leanne gave us back our hope, joy and respect.
    Out of everone who has left and then came back to ER I hope that this man gets a proper heroes welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    The way I remember Stubbs is that he took over when we were in the depth of despair. He left us after the cup final when we were euphoric!
    Out of everone who has left and then came back to ER I hope that this man gets a proper heroes welcome!
    Spot on ! The rebuild job following Butcher and the way he prepared the squad for the Cup Final (after the devastation of Falkirk the week before) are two of the greatest pieces of management I can recall at Hibs. Great man.

I refuse to believe the tired excuse, regardless of the amount of games we played this run of results was nothing more than pathetic.

You've elected to miss out a few key results in that run of games. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    You've elected to miss out a few key results in that run of games. Why is that?
    Because these were the key results that hindered the chance of promotion. This highlighted the fact we struggled against lesser teams who sat back, we never had a plan b. I've not missed out any league games in that run, only cup games.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 08-06-2018 at 06:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    stubbs is cleary a legend at the club, he started building a decent team that has now been taken to the next level, he clearly wont have as much of a wage budget at st mirren so think he might struggle but good luck to the guy anyway

Because these were the key results that hindered the chance of promotion. This highlighted the fact we struggled against lesser teams who sat back, we never had a plan b.
    Jeezo let it go man.

We won the Scottish ****ing Cup. A catalyst for record ST sales and crowds and an awakening of the fanbase that no advertising campaign, or promotion, could ever acheive.

At the time I argued promotion was more important but I was spectacularly wrong. Promotion would never have captured the imagination in the way the cup win did. Stubbs took over a club and team that was on it's knees and left us with something we all desired above all else ans a stable platform for Neil Lennon to build upon to kick us on again.

I always assumed the Hibs manager that managed what Turnbull, Stein, Shankly, Ormond, Stanton, Mowbray, Collins et al couldn't would be universally acclaimed but there's a very vocal handful that have a deep rooted bitterness about a league campaogn that in the grand scheme of things is nothing more than an insifnificant footnote.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    that's exactly how I feel, good luck to him. he's a legend

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Jeezo let it go man.

We won the Scottish ****ing Cup. A catalyst for record ST sales and crowds and an awakening of the fanbase that no advertising campaign, or promotion, could ever acheive.

At the time I argued promotion was more important but I was spectacularly wrong. Promotion would never have captured the imagination in the way the cup win did. Stubbs took over a club and team that was on it's knees and left us with something we all desired above all else ans a stable platform for Neil Lennon to build upon to kick us on again.

I always assumed the Hibs manager that managed what Turnbull, Stein, Shankly, Ormond, Stanton, Mowbray, Collins et al couldn't would be universally acclaimed but there's a very vocal handful that have a deep rooted bitterness about a league campaogn that in the grand scheme of things is nothing more than an insifnificant footnote.
    Those weeks in terms of schedule were crazy as well. Still in three competitions including a cup final and a replay against ICT. Constant midweek games and injury problems that left us playing KT and Bartley in midfield.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Jeezo let it go man.

Let what go? My opinion? That he isn't that good a manager. There's no need to respond iv had my input as why I wouldnt want him back at ER as manager and a lot of you are getting all offended. I have no dislike of the guy I will always remember him as the cup winning hero as everyone else does but wouldn't want him back due to reasons explained.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 08-06-2018 at 07:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Let what go? My opinion? That he isn't that good a manager. There's no need to respond iv had my input as why I wouldnt want him back at ER as manager and a lot of you are getting all offended. I have no dislike of the guy I will always remember him as the cup winning hero as everyone else does but wouldn't want him back due to reasons explained.
    I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that we were doing fine in the league until we started to play 2 games a week. We then hit that really rough patch due to injuries and fatigue. If it had not been for some terrible decisions in both Falkirk play off matches we would have been in the play off final. That is not to say we would have won it as there was the ridiculous decision to have each tie on either side of the Cup final. I think you are being unfair on Stubbs. He is a legend and deserves every piece of admiration he gets. Whether he is the man for the job once Lennon goes is another discussion. What he did for our club should never be underestimated.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that we were doing fine in the league until we started to play 2 games a week. We then hit that really rough patch due to injuries and fatigue. If it had not been for some terrible decisions in both Falkirk play off matches we would have been in the play off final. That is not to say we would have won it as there was the ridiculous decision to have each tie on either side of the Cup final. I think you are being unfair on Stubbs. He is a legend and deserves every piece of admiration he gets. Whether he is the man for the job once Lennon goes is another discussion. What he did for our club should never be underestimated.
    If that's your excuse for getting beat of teams like alloa, Dumbarton etc. Then so be it.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 08-06-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Stubbs is a legend for obvious reasons. I’ll be honest it wasn’t all great; highs (our biggest high tbf) and lows. However, he did take a team that was on its knees and built a good side.

He’s got a great eye for a player; Gray, Boyle, Allan, McGeouch, Henderson etc and persuaded McGinn to join a team in the championship.

He struggled with breaking down teams in the championship and that’s were he failed. Second place in the first season was good cause hearts strolled it. But, failed in the first rounds of the play offs then beaten off Falkirk the next season after finishing 3rd, which was really poor. Although I think we failed due too many games in a short period with being in both cups.

His record against Hearts , Rangers (bar the playoffs) and the premiership sides in the cups was excellent. Think he only lost once in 90 mins and that was the league cup final against county.

I’m sure would have won us the championship the year we got up cause Lennon struggled to break teams down as well.

As I said he built the foundations along with Dempster. He should have never of went to Rotherham. Poisonous chalice. Another crap English team who think they’re better than they are. They were always going to get relegated and Stubbs likes his teams to play good football and you cannae do that in a scrap.

I think St.Mirren are getting a good manager and at least this time he’s getting a team that are a high at the moment.

Good luck to him and he’ll get a wonderful reception at Easter Road before the match.

I seem to remember when we went down people wanted a man who could bring pride back to the club and give hibs fans some good football to watch week in week out. They got that and got the greatest day in our history into the bargain too. He signed the core of a side who won the cup, got us eventually up, unbeaten for 4 years against hearts and a European spot in the end. People keep saying "aye but we didn't go up". First season they were applauded off the park after losing the play off final to rangers because the fans appreciated the football and turnaround that had been achieved. Second season we reached two cup finals and played nearly 60 games with a small squad so it's no surprise we ran out of gas. Yet we still found an inner belief to go and give everything to win the cup and create history. It's a disgrace and joke the way some hibs fans go on about Stubbs at times. Appreciate the good times and the bad which helped us get our club back and looking forward to a Saturday at Easter Road.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I seem to remember when we went down people wanted a man who could bring pride back to the club and give hibs fans some good football to watch week in week out. They got that and got the greatest day in our history into the bargain too. He signed the core of a side who won the cup, got us eventually up, unbeaten for 4 years against hearts and a European spot in the end. People keep saying "aye but we didn't go up". First season they were applauded off the park after losing the play off final to rangers because the fans appreciated the football and turnaround that had been achieved. Second season we reached two cup finals and played nearly 60 games with a small squad so it's no surprise we ran out of gas. Yet we still found an inner belief to go and give everything to win the cup and create history. It's a disgrace and joke the way some hibs fans go on about Stubbs at times. Appreciate the good times and the bad which helped us get our club back and looking forward to a Saturday at Easter Road.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Neil Lennon struggled just as badly as Stubbs did when breaking down those defensive teams until we signed Commons last season and Allan this season. I think it really just goes to show how dependant success is on a few key players for clubs in our position. Consistency is difficult to keep up.

@hibs.net private member
    St mirren v hibs first game of the season guaranteed. I would say at Easter road but does the promoted team not get a guaranteed home game?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    St mirren v hibs first game of the season guaranteed. I would say at Easter road but does the promoted team not get a guaranteed home game?
    St Mirren will be at home on the 1st day. You tend not to want the promoted clubs, away on the 1st day anyway. They and their fans will be well up for it

You are right that those first three results killed any slim hope we had of winning the league.

However tiredness certainly would have been a factor, from the 30th of January to the 21st of May we played 27 games in 16 weeks, which is 1 every 4 days. Falkirk (who went from 2 points behind before the 30th January to finishing above us on goal difference) only played 18 games in the same 16 week period. Rangers (who were 5 points ahead on before the 30th January and finished 11 points ahead) played 21 games in 16 weeks. We played basically every weekend and midweek from the end of January to the end of the season. Falkirk on the other hand only really had 2 weeks where they played more than 1 game a week.

With recovery days after games and a day off for the players every week, we'll have been lucky to have been training twice a week in that period. The players were running on fumes at the end of the season and their efforts to win the cup after being done over by the referee in the playoff the week before were hugely impressive.

Like others, I don't think Stubbs should return to Hibs, but he was a great manager for us and deserves some leniency for the failure to get promotion in his second season because of the ridiculous fixture congestion we had.

Left by mutual consent!
    St.Mirren are going down

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    St.Mirren are going down
    Think they’ll need some better players, but I don’t think they will be bottom though

I wouldn't want Stubbs back as I'd rather just remember him as manager of the Hibs team who won the Scottish Cup. For that achievement, he should receive the warmest applause ever given to anyone returning as boss of another club - and I'm sure he will.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    St.Mirren are going down
    Livi are a near cert for 12th, IMO.

I don't see there being much between St. Mirren, Hamilton, and Dundee though.
    Mon the Hibs.