hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I have to be honest, when we reached the end of the league season having failed again to get promoted, I thought it was maybe time to look elsewhere.

I was pretty pee'd off with Stubbs' inability to work out how to beat the so-called lesser clubs.

I'm still forever grateful for the Cup win, though,

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brandan Rogers
    Neil Lennon
    Steve Clarke
    Steven Gerrard
    Derek McInnes
    Alan Stubbs

The Scottish Premiership is the place to be if you are a British manager...the EPL is yesterdays news !
    Hang on, someone's missing from the list... Oh! It's OK... Found him in the toilet

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    Stubbs was better at recruitment and identifying good young players to sign instead of bringing through youth. That may. D to do with our youth players at the time. Apart from Cummings nobody made an impact
    Tbf the younger players he made an effort to get ready for first team football - Handling, Martin, Booth, Harris, Allan, Crane - were either just too young or not good enough for the club. There's only so much you can really do but once he got youngsters with potential he got a lot out of them.

Let's not forget how much of a shambles our club was top to bottom when he took over. Other than the stadium and training facilities it was broken.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    If that's your excuse for getting beat of teams like alloa, Dumbarton etc. Then so be it.
    It is. Imagine getting beat by Hearts by 4 goals. Maybe Celtic should have sacked Rodgers then.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I have to be honest, when we reached the end of the league season having failed again to get promoted, I thought it was maybe time to look elsewhere.

I was pretty pee'd off with Stubbs' inability to work out how to beat the so-called lesser clubs.

I'm still forever grateful for the Cup win, though,
    Snap.

I think Stubbsy will do a good job at St Mirren and would not be surprised to see them do well in cups once he has got his feet under the table.
    Will be interesting the first time he comes up against us.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    It is. Imagine getting beat by Hearts by 4 goals. Maybe Celtic should have sacked Rodgers then.
    What?

It's been interesting reading people's thoughts on Stubbs, now that a bit of time has passed.
    I'll be forever grateful to him for the cup win and for that I'll happily give him leeway when it comes to not getting promotion. You have to remember the mess he inherited and the difficulty of turning us around in a short space of time after losing to Hamilton.
    We were always playing catch up on Hearts and Rangers because they knew they would be in that division months before the end of the previous season and could plan ahead. He may not have delivered promotion but he gave us what we all dreamed of while laying the foundations for Lennon to take us forward. I know I'm making excuses for him but I don't care the man is a legend!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    What?
    You seem to think that because Stubbs couldn’t set up a team to beat clubs on a much lesser budget he is not good enough for Hibs. Equally Rodgers managed a team who got humped by the worst Hearts team in years. They also got beaten by Killie and us. Using your reasoning he is not fit to manage a club with such a big budget. My point is that you can selectively choose results to back up whatever you want. I think Stubbs is a Hibs legend and do not understand your lack of respect for him.
    Last edited by PatHead; 09-06-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    You seem to think that because Stubbs couldn’t set up a team to beat clubs on a much lesser budget he is not good enough for Hibs. Equally Rodgers managed a team who got humped by the worst Hearts team in years. They also got beaten by Killie and us. Using your reasoning he is not fit to manage a club with such a big budget. My point is that you can selectively choose results to back up whatever you want. I think Stubbs is a Hibs legend and do not understand your lack of respect for him.
    Rodgers won the treble twice with minute blips along the way. Stubbs failed to get promoted from the championship two years in a row due to regular dropping of points against much lesser opposition, how are these two comparable?

I don't lack respect for him, I just feel he isn't a particularly good manager.

Coaching Staff
    Rodgers won the treble twice with minute blips along the way. Stubbs failed to get promoted from the championship two years in a row due to regular dropping of points against much lesser opposition, how are these two comparable?

Irrespective of our personal opinions of him, his record also shows that Hibs were his first managerial post in his career.

He came at a time when the club was in chaos and was involved in setting up the structure that now serves us well.

He maybe did not get us promoted, but he WAS in charge of the team that won the cup....something tha any manager up to 114 years before him failed to do.

He no doubt will have learned from not only his time at Hibs, but also from his ill fated move to Rotherham, and I have no doubt will be a much improved manager this time around.

I think he will do well at St Mirren, and keep them up.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Our first season in the championship was always going to be difficult. Stubbs had inherited a club in turmoil. Throw in the diet Huns and the full fat ones and we did Finnish ahead of the latter ones ,albeit lost to them in the playoffs.
    Second season ,we reached both cup finals ,which resulted in us playing an unprecedented amount of games . Throw in a couple of shocking decisions by the ref in the Falkirk playoff games .
    Stubbs will forever be a Hibernian legend .
    I hope we take 9pts off St Mirren and they take 12 off Hearts :)
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Our first season in the championship was always going to be difficult. Stubbs had inherited a club in turmoil. Throw in the diet Huns and the full fat ones and we did Finnish ahead of the latter ones ,albeit lost to them in the playoffs.
    Second season ,we reached both cup finals ,which resulted in us playing an unprecedented amount of games . Throw in a couple of shocking decisions by the ref in the Falkirk playoff games .
    Stubbs will forever be a Hibernian legend .
    I hope we take 9pts off St Mirren and they take 12 off Hearts :)
    Spot on except for last sentence. 12 off St Mirren (in top 6), they'll take 9 off Hearts who'll be bottom 6.
    Last edited by 007; 10-06-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Won’t hear a bad word about Stubbs. We were in a right mess when he took over and he did an excellent job for us.

All the players seemed to love playing under him, certainly one of the McGinn brothers at St Mirren said that John raves about him. You must be doing something right if your players all have that respect for you.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87

Do you rate lennon?

Im sure its been mentioned but lennon achieved promotion with 1 point more than what stubbs achieved in his 2 seasons. 2 seasons in which we had hearts and rangers then rangers in the league lennon had neither.

Im not interested in what brendan has done or not at celtic but it was evident in the championship that teams would play 10 men behind a ball and kick anything that moved (like some spfl teams as well to be honest) its hard to play and win all the time against that.
    Stubbs was a great manager for hibs and id be prepared to say he will be for st mirren.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Do you rate lennon?

Im sure its been mentioned but lennon achieved promotion with 1 point more than what stubbs achieved in his 2 seasons. 2 seasons in which we had hearts and rangers then rangers in the league lennon had neither.

Im not interested in what brendan has done or not at celtic but it was evident in the championship that teams would play 10 men behind a ball and kick anything that moved (like some spfl teams as well to be honest) its hard to play and win all the time against that.
    Stubbs was a great manager for hibs and id be prepared to say he will be for st mirren.
    I'm not even going to compare Stubbs with Lennon.

Just popping in to make sure people are still using this thread to have a dig at the most legendary manager in our club’s history.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Just popping in to make sure people are still using this thread to have a dig at the most legendary manager in our club’s history.
    Eddie Turnbull?

IMHO I think a lot of Lennon’s success was based upon the great work of Stubbs et al. Lennon inherited a Stubbs’ team on the up - winning the SC in such a fashion but doing so by completely restructuring and reshaping our playing staff which, for all intents and purposes, was one of the worst in recent memory. The foundations were there for Neil, we just needed his undeniable talent to further develop HFC. Can’t compare them as they both brought different things to the table - some managerial skills we have been lacking in many a year!

Hugh Shaw won three championships and took us to the semi-final of the European Cup.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Eddie Turnbull?
    Alan Stubbs trumps every single manager we have ever had because he brought home the holy grail

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Alan Stubbs trumps every single manager we have ever had because he brought home the holy grail
    Not for me. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Not for me. Sorry.

Fair enough pal

But Stubbs gave hibs THEE greatest game in history without a shadow of doubt

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Did we not have a manager in 1902?

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Yeah but we never waited 114 years :-)

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Was it not a "committee" rather than a manager back then?
    Mon the Hibs.