hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

World cup betting

You can get 66/1 on Russia with a company called Spreader. It's a long shot, but that seems high for the host nation.

80/1 is available with the same company for Poland and England are 20/1.

I might have a few small e/w interest bets.

I think Germany are stick ons to make the final at least, but 5/1 isn't value, imo.

Germany is my pick for winning the tournament, but seeing them put out a strong team and lose to Austria yesterday shows they're quite beatable! Going to be an interesting tournament anyway, looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Germany is my pick for winning the tournament, but seeing them put out a strong team and lose to Austria yesterday shows they're quite beatable! Going to be an interesting tournament anyway, looking forward to it.

Seen on Twitter yesterday that they've not won in their last 5 games. First time this century that it's happened

First Team Breakthrough
    Very open tournament I've went for Spain, maybe Timo Werner top scorer 14/1

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    You can get 66/1 on Russia with a company called Spreader. It's a long shot, but that seems high for the host nation.

I think Germany are stick ons to make the final at least, but 5/1 isn't value, imo.
    5/1 for Germany to get to the final is decent odds.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    5/1 for Germany to get to the final is decent odds.
    That's to win it outright.

Each way is half.

Edit: Ladbrokes are laying it at 5/2.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 03-06-2018 at 03:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Skybet currently offering your money back as a free bet (up to £10) if your team is knocked out. Took Spain at 11/2

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Skybet currently offering your money back as a free bet (up to £10) if your team is knocked out. Took Spain at 11/2
    Its upto £50.
    Im putting £50 on England also at 16s.

So if the worst was to happen..I can escape. :)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Its upto £50.
    Im putting £50 on England also at 16s.

So if the worst was to happen..I can escape. :)
    T&Cs state max £10 on mine:

How to Claim

Place a bet on any team to win the World Cup and get Money Back as a Free Bet if they don’t win.
    If your team loses we will refund all win singles and the win part of each-way singles as a Free Bet up to £/€10 within 24 hours. E.g. A £5 each-way bet (£10 total stake) would receive a £5 refund.

Left by mutual consent!
    T&Cs state max £10 on mine:

How to Claim

Place a bet on any team to win the World Cup and get Money Back as a Free Bet if they don’t win.
    If your team loses we will refund all win singles and the win part of each-way singles as a Free Bet up to £/€10 within 24 hours. E.g. A £5 each-way bet (£10 total stake) would receive a £5 refund.
    It definately states upto 50 on mine.
    Your probably right though,as it probavly means upto 10 back on bets upto 50

I reckon there's money to be made betting against Argentina. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. They scraped through qualifying, scored the least goals of the top 6 in the table and were destroyed by Spain in a recent friendly. They were well beaten by Nigeria not so long ago as well albeit without Messi. I'm shocked they are as short as 10s to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I reckon there's money to be made betting against Argentina. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. They scraped through qualifying, scored the least goals of the top 6 in the table and were destroyed by Spain in a recent friendly. They were well beaten by Nigeria not so long ago as well albeit without Messi. I'm shocked they are as short as 10s to win it.
    Aye, I agree re Argentina and how they'll not mount any sort of serious challenge. And hopefully it'll put to bed the cliche that Messi can't be considered as one of the all time greatest footballers because he hasn't done it on the world stage, he's simply not got a good enough team around him to compete against far more complete international sides.

He dragged them through their play off win to get to the World Cup with a hat trick in difficult circumstances and scored a few brilliant goals at the last World Cup.

Stuck £20 on Brazil to win at 5/1 a few weeks ago.

world cup

Got 7-1 france, and 32-1 portugal for fun

had a stab at argentia at 9-1 , on skybet, only as you get stake back if it loses, cant go wrong

I got muller at 32-1 top scorer, , same odds on mbappe,

had a nibble on lewandowski at 40s, lets face it, a hattrick and you can win it, just look at the previous winners, davor suker and oleg kuznetsov to mention a few,! even James in the last one, great player, but colombia were never winning it
    Last edited by Gibby the Hibby; 03-06-2018 at 06:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby the Hibby View Post

had a stab at argentia at 9-1 , on skybet, only as you get stake back if it loses, cant go wrong

had a nibble on lewandowski at 40s, lets face it, a hattrick and you can win it, just look at the previous winners, davor suker and oleg kuznetsov to mention a few,! even James in the last one, great player, but colombia were never winning it
    Depends on group placing but Portugal would appear to have a not insurmountable progression to the SFs if they finish second behind Spain - likely ties against Russia/Uruguay and then France before playing Brazil or Belgium in the semis, which may be the stumbling block.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby the Hibby View Post

Oleg Salenko.

Put a wee tenner on James Rodriguez to get voted player of the tournament. I think Colombia will do quite well and he is a different player when playing for his country. Seems to be the main man and he relishes it. Thought 66/1 was value considering how well he did at the last World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    There's often a big team that bombs at the World Cup and it could well be them this time round. I've stuck a fiver on them to lose all of their group games at 299/1.

Here's hoping

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    No chance Russia are getting near the final. They are woeful. France by far the best squad but don't seem to hit the heights they should under Deschamps, Brazil good but winning in Russia is a huge ask. Germany out of form but expect that to change. Nobody talking much about Spain. Squad currently not as good as they had 8-10 years ago (which was exceptional) but still very good. Might be worth a few quid...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    No chance Russia are getting near the final. They are woeful. France by far the best squad but don't seem to hit the heights they should under Deschamps, Brazil good but winning in Russia is a huge ask. Germany out of form but expect that to change. Nobody talking much about Spain. Squad currently not as good as they had 8-10 years ago (which was exceptional) but still very good. Might be worth a few quid...
    Spain are my bet but got a wee bit of a worry around their lack of a “first choice” striker. They don’t seem to like playing Costa but he’s prob their best option

Left by mutual consent!
    Spain are my bet but got a wee bit of a worry around their lack of a “first choice” striker. They don’t seem to like playing Costa but he’s prob their best option
    Prior to my previous post..£40 on England.

I think with skybet it depends on how active your account is.but if it does happen,I can get out the place with £680 for a few days.

When they go out...I have £40 to use. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Unless corruption rears its head and there's some major referee tinkering, I think Russia have absolutely no chance of winning it, and might struggle to get out of the group. Just a lack of real talent and their results in the lead up dont look encouraging. Could be the least impressive host nation since South Africa. 80/1 Poland looks better value, although I hear Lewandowski has been off form.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 03-06-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Don't see Germany winning it. A good centre half pairing but probably not as good as Spains. Two average full backs. A very good midfielder in Kroos, but other than that the rest are just good players and no outstanding forward. All IMO of course.

Brazil have a better squad, as do France and Spain are also better in defence and midfield, although also like Germany, not the best up top.

My picks would be:

France
    Spain
    Brazil
    Germany/Portugal

In that order.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Don't see Germany winning it. A good centre half pairing but probably not as good as Spains. Two average full backs. A very good midfielder in Kroos, but other than that the rest are just good players and no outstanding forward. All IMO of course.

Brazil have a better squad, as do France and Spain are also better in defence and midfield, although also like Germany, not the best up top.

My picks would be:

France
    Spain
    Brazil
    Germany/Portugal

In that order.
    On paper France look an excellent side but I’m just not sure how good a mentality they’ve got. It used to be a criticism of Holland that they had all the ability but too many egos and couldn’t gel as a side, without knowing too much about the French they strike me as being similar.

I think they could either win it or get knocked out in the group stages, neither would surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    On paper France look an excellent side but I’m just not sure how good a mentality they’ve got. It used to be a criticism of Holland that they had all the ability but too many egos and couldn’t gel as a side, without knowing too much about the French they strike me as being similar.

I think they could either win it or get knocked out in the group stages, neither would surprise me.
    Aye France do have that feel to them at times. Although in saying that they got to the final of the Euros last time out which isn’t a bad effort.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

I fancied France quite strongly, cannae quite decide how big a loss Payet will be for them.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I fancied France quite strongly, cannae quite decide how big a loss Payet will be for them.
    Not very big with the likes of griezmann, mbappe and dembele as their front three

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Don’t think it will make a lot of odds. Pogba, ****e, Dembele, Mbappe and possibly Matuidi would all be ahead of him. They may even start with Giroud up top aswell which would either mean playing 2 up top with Griezzman or Griezzman playing as a 10. I doubt he’d start.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Unless corruption rears its head and there's some major referee tinkering, I think Russia have absolutely no chance of winning it, and might struggle to get out of the group. Just a lack of real talent and their results in the lead up dont look encouraging. Could be the least impressive host nation since South Africa. 80/1 Poland looks better value, although I hear Lewandowski has been off form.
    To be fair there's only been one host nation since South Africa and that was Brazil who made it to the semi finals (and admittedly got humped).

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    What's the top scorer value bet? Muller at 28/1?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    What's the top scorer value bet? Muller at 28/1?
    That looks good value for Muller. Reckon there’s a good chance he’ll take penalties for Germany so you could be looking at a couple from the spot.