hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I think England will do well in this World Cup.

The best players in the world now ply their trade in the English top flight and the boys in the English team are on a par with them.

Marcus Rashford, Dele Alli and Jon Stones will shine.

The Premiership is a multinational playground now and victory for them wouldn’t just be a result for England.

2. Log in to remove the advert

[QUOTE=Pete;5427243]I think England will do well in this World Cup.

The best players in the world now ply their...
    thought I would stop you there Pete and mention: Messi, Ronaldinho, Neymar, Lewandowski, Immobile, Neuer Suarez, Bale, Iniesta etc. etc. It’s a myth that all the best players play in England. How many of these players could walk into any English-based team? Most I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The best players in the world now ply their trade in the English top flight and the boys in the English team are on a par with them.
    Do they?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Marcus Rashford, Dele Alli and Jon Stones will shine.

The Premiership is a multinational playground now and victory for them wouldn’t just be a result for England.
    When you’re at the wind-up it’s better to include some kind of emoji to show this, otherwise you’re just coming across as an attention seeking fandan.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    You're right - the Sun "journalists" probably made up Kane's quote in order to support their agenda which is, as ever build them up then knock them down. That way, their "readers" can have the pleasure of anticipating certain victory... and then rage at the team, the players, the manager, the tactics, the crooked refs, the cheating foreign teams, etc. etc.

That was my point.

If you look up, you may see it whizzing past above your head.

Nothing whizzed over my head except a post that made no sense, made no point and still doesn't.

I wonder how the Russian football fans will react to seeing black players on the pitch, or even worse, black people in the crowd.

One England player (Danny Rose, I think) has already told his family not to travel, as he's so worried about them receiving racist abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Do they?
    I think in general they do. Money talks and there is so much strength in depth in the English top flight.

I think in general they do. Money talks and there is so much strength in depth in the English top flight.
    I thought you were at it

The players you named are decent EPL players but none of them have huge european or international pedigrees.

The relative failure of English teams in European competition probably debunks your strength in depth argument, does it not? Facts are facts and if you look at a table of european trophies, say over the past 20 years you have an accurate picture of whose money speaks loudest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Effen Bee View Post
    thought I would stop you there Pete and mention: Messi, Ronaldinho, Neymar, Lewandowski, Immobile, Neuer Suarez, Bale, Iniesta etc. etc. It’s a myth that all the best players play in England. How many of these players could walk into any English-based team? Most I would say.
    No myth my friend. If you consider the league as a whole, I think the English one is probably the strongest. Clubs like Stoke and West Brom have squads that are packed with international quality players and even clubs of that standing hoover up top talent from other leagues.

I know England have failed in the past but I think it’s different this time. They look good when they press and against the better teams they’ll need to take stock, defend well and counter attack. With players like Vardy, Rashford and Sterling in the squad the can certainly do that.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Because the organisers, the sponsors and the viewing public want the best teams at the finals. Understandably so.

That's why there's seeding.

We get difficult groups because we're in with the second bottom seeds.
    I dont as the 'viewing public' i think all compititions would be far more entertaining if, as was said, all names in a hat and pulled out at random.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I thought you were at it

The players you named are decent EPL players but none of them have huge european or international pedigrees.

The relative failure of English teams in European competition probably debunks your strength in depth argument, does it not? Facts are facts and if you look at a table of european trophies, say over the past 20 years you have an accurate picture of whose money speaks loudest.
    Good point but I think the strength of the top Spanish teams has something to do with that. I’m reluctant to look at recent European club matches as the The make up of most English teams is truly global.

Should be interesting anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I dont as the 'viewing public' i think all compititions would be far more entertaining if, as was said, all names in a hat and pulled out at random.
    Agree with this 100%. The current system favors the big teams and gives the smaller countries little chance.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Agree with this 100%. The current system favors the big teams and gives the smaller countries little chance.
    Seeding happens in just about every sport.

Hibs are seeded in the league cup and in the first rounds of the Europa Cup.

Of course it favours the better teams, but the smaller nations have virtually no chance anyway.

I'm looking forward to Spain v Portugal on Friday. The tournament would be devalued if those teams had been knocked out in the qualifying groups.

I probably won't even watch Morocco v Iran in the earlier game.

Left by mutual consent!
    No myth my friend. If you consider the league as a whole, I think the English one is probably the strongest. Clubs like Stoke and West Brom have squads that are packed with international quality players and even clubs of that standing hoover up top talent from other leagues.

I know England have failed in the past but I think it’s different this time. They look good when they press and against the better teams they’ll need to take stock, defend well and counter attack. With players like Vardy, Rashford and Sterling in the squad the can certainly do that.
    When these players play for their clubs, their game is helped immensely by the high-standards of their foreign team-mates - totally different when they're playing for England.

This thread might aswell say 'why hibs will win the world cup' because there is as much chance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Green&White;5427474]This thread might aswell say 'why hibs will win the world cup' because there is as much chance

You can't win it if you're not in it. There are not many surprise WC winners it must be said but all teams have a chance. It would take enormous amounts of luck and outrageous fortune for a bottom seeded team to win but it could happen sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    When these players play for their clubs, their game is helped immensely by the high-standards of their foreign team-mates - totally different when they're playing for England.
    I would disagree. If you look at the England squad, the vast majority of them are key players in teams that compete regularly in the champions league.

I don’t think the ability of the individual players has ever been a problem, it’s the fact that when they get together they somehow manage to become less than the sum of their parts. If they get it together and play to their strengths then they could go far.

I would disagree. If you look at the England squad, the vast majority of them are key players in teams that compete regularly in the champions league.

I don’t think the ability of the individual players has ever been a problem, it’s the fact that when they get together they somehow manage to become less than the sum of their parts. If they get it together and play to their strengths then they could go far.
    Rashford, Sterling, and Vardy aren’t in the same league as the best in the world.

Quite literally :)

Left by mutual consent!
    I’m eagerly awaiting thousands of England fans going to Russia to sing about German bombers and their hatred for immigrants only to get the **** kicked out of them by Russians. Then for Saudi Arabia to skelp them out in the last 16 while they sing about vindaloo.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I just hope that WHEN they get knocked out they get knocked out fair and square, like that time when Diego Maradona scored a cracking header against them.
    The VAR will ensure that doesn't happen again, unfortunately!

England will get tanked by Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    I’m eagerly awaiting thousands of England fans going to Russia to sing about German bombers and their hatred for immigrants only to get the **** kicked out of them by Russians. Then for Saudi Arabia to skelp them out in the last 16 while they sing about vindaloo.

They should be in good company, then.

As an aside, I think you'll find the majority of England Supporters that attend the finals will be decent, law-abiding, respectable people that would never sink that low.

I admit that I don't actually like them (especially Scousers), but we shouldn't let our prejudices get in the way of reason
    Last edited by Keith_M; 12-06-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Do those who find it "embarrassing" and "cringey" that Scottish people support against England in their football matches apply the same feeling as to what (seems like) the whole of England feel towards the German team?

It's been fairly evident in the BBC/ITV studios and across social media... and is about to double

No issue with it myself... that's football rivalry, just interested as to how people view this when it's the exact same thing (only Germans are less annoying )

And it's definitely not just because a strong contender is now out... although there will be that feeling for any team who fancies their chances.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Do those who find it "embarrassing" and "cringey" that Scottish people support against England in their football matches apply the same feeling as to what (seems like) the whole of England feel towards the German team?

It's been fairly evident in the BBC/ITV studios and across social media... and is about to double

No issue with it myself... that's football rivalry, just interested as to how people view this when it's the exact same thing (only Germans are less annoying )

And it's definitely not just because a strong contender is now out... although there will be that feeling for any team who fancies their chances.
    I actually think they've been quite measured in the aftermath of this result.

I'm still in work so haven't seen... but give it time

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    They were until the last 2 minutes of the BBC coverage there,,,Lineker/Shearer/Jenas cheesing at the outcome,,,"Mein Gott & Auf Wiedersehesen!".

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    They were until the last 2 minutes of the BBC coverage there,,,Lineker/Shearer/Jenas cheesing at the outcome,,,"Mein Gott & Auf Wiedersehesen!".
    Yep no need IMO.

England have looked good but you have to consider they were playing Tunisia and Panama. The Belgium game will be like a training game , with both teams possibly preferring to finish second , so their first real challenge will come in the knockout stages. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    S Times 23 June 18.jpg

I started this thread in anticipation of a laugh at the usual xenophobic World Cup hysteria from the English media. Which hasn't happened. So fair play to them.

And then I read this dignified letter in last weekend's Sunday Times.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    S Times 23 June 18.jpg

I started this thread in anticipation of a laugh at the usual xenophobic World Cup hysteria from the English media. Which hasn't happened. So fair play to them.

And then I read this dignified letter in last weekend's Sunday Times.

A dignified letter indeed but in football terms England is a foreign team so why this constant question about supporting them? I’m just not bothered and if they win it playing decent football then fair play. As for the media - don’t read it or have the volume up. Anyway the most important game this month is Hibs v Lithgae Rose on Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post

Therein lies the paradox. I wonder what the underlying theme is with England. V Germany. Is it that some Englanders attach history to a sporting fixture or is it about the sporting competition between them?

My view is that the former takes precedence, particularly since the Germans really only rose to footballing prominence in the 1960’s. However, surely accusations of underlying racist and uber nationalist sentiment is taking things too far? Or do our resident wince merchants only apply that logic when it comes to Scottish fans?