hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I don't think I want them to win it because if they did the airwaves would be full of nothing else for years, just like the last time!
    They've got a good bunch of young players and seem to be quite realistic about their chances,which is refreshing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always want them to win at cricket. I want them to lose at every other sport though, and the heavier the defeat the better. Next folk will be on telling us that wanting Hearts to lose is about religious bigotry and not sporting rivalry. Total bull, as is the notion that Scottish folk wanting England beat is racist
    That's my point.

Hearts are our direct football rivals. They have the same regard for us as we have for them.

The same can not be said for England.

I'm not saying all Scotland fans are racist, but I've heard the words " I hate the effing English" loads of times.

I don't mind how you define it, but for many Scots, their attitude towards England is about more than just sporting rivalry.

I don't suppose we'll ever agree on this point so I'll leave it there.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    That's my point.

Hearts are our direct football rivals. They have the same regard for us as we have for them.

The same can not be said for England.

I'm not saying all Scotland fans are racist, but I've heard the words " I hate the effing English" loads of times.

I don't mind how you define it, but for many Scots, their attitude towards England is about more than just sporting rivalry.

I don't suppose we'll ever agree on this point so I'll leave it there.
    Very poorly made arguement You’re all over the place now.

You imply that fans who are A.B.E is about more than sporting rivalry, despite almost everybody on here giving a reasonable account of why they take this stance.

Probably best you leave it there before you dig a deeper hole for yourself. The last line about many Scots and their attitudes is pretty contemptable really.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Very poorly made arguement You’re all over the place now.

You imply that fans who are A.B.E is about more than sporting rivalry, despite almost everybody on here giving a reasonable account of why they take this stance.

Probably best you leave it there before you dig a deeper hole for yourself. The last line about many Scots and their attitudes is pretty contemptable really.
    That was not what I said, nor was it what I implied.

Thanks for the advice, but I already said I was leaving it there.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I just don't understand what fuels the need to see England do badly when they aren't competing with us?

The Hearts comparison just doesn't stack up. We're in competition with them - and in the same city - but Scotland are rarely in competition with England.

I feel that the ABE approach serves as a bit of a comfort blanket for our own appalling World Cup record. It's almost as though as long as England do badly then it makes it more acceptable that we are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I just don't understand what fuels the need to see England do badly when they aren't competing with us?

The Hearts comparison just doesn't stack up. We're in competition with them - and in the same city - but Scotland are rarely in competition with England.

I feel that the ABE approach serves as a bit of a comfort blanket for our own appalling World Cup record. It's almost as though as long as England do badly then it makes it more acceptable that we are crap.
    How does it not? So when we are knocked out before Hearts in the Scottish Cup (doesn't happen often I know).. you're happy or indifferent towards them going on and winning their remaining games in it? Or when we were in the championship, you weren't wanting them to lose their premier league games?

"In the same city" as in closest in proximity... just like England are to Scotland.

We don't like Hearts as a club because they are our rivals... simple as that.

Of course it stacks up. People are just looking to find holes in people enjoying the auld enemy rivalry stance, for some strange reason. As for the 'comfort blanket' argument, I don't think even you really believe that. There isn't any result, England or otherwise that will lessen the regret that Scotland have failed to qualify for yet another tournament, and the poor quality of our team just now. It doesn't mean we have to cheer England on to prove it though.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    How does it not? So when we are knocked out before Hearts in the Scottish Cup (doesn't happen often I know).. you're happy or indifferent towards them going on and winning their remaining games in it? Or when we were in the championship, you weren't wanting them to lose their premier league games?

Precisely my point. We're practically never in the same competitions as England either at finals or in qualifying stages. There is no competition.

"In the same city" as in closest in proximity... just like England are to Scotland.

We're as close to Northern Ireland and Ireland as we are to most of England.

We don't like Hearts as a club because they are our rivals... simple as that.

England aren't our rivals. They're just one set of neighbours.

Of course it stacks up. People are just looking to find holes in people enjoying the auld enemy rivalry stance, for some strange reason. As for the 'comfort blanket' argument, I don't think even you really believe that. There isn't any result, England or otherwise that will lessen the regret that Scotland have failed to qualify for yet another tournament, and the poor quality of our team just now. It doesn't mean we have to cheer England on to prove it though.
    I get the rivalry of wanting to beat England when we play them. I don't get the wanting them to lose to everyone, at almost everything. I absolutely do think the comfort blanket thing is real, 'we failed, again, so let's get vicarious pleasure from England failing as a substitute thrill'.

There's quite a big difference between cheering England on and wanting them to lose to everyone.

Anyway each to his or her own. I've bigger disliked fish to fry in Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Uruguay and Iran.

I get the rivalry of wanting to beat England when we play them. I don't get the wanting them to lose to everyone, at almost everything. I absolutely do think the comfort blanket thing is real, 'we failed, again, so let's get vicarious pleasure from England failing as a substitute thrill'.

There's quite a big difference between cheering England on and wanting them to lose to everyone.

Anyway each to his or her own. I've bigger disliked fish to fry in Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Uruguay and Iran.

Exactly All free to support or 'support against' whoever we want. We've plenty options... that's the beauty of not qualifying

Gamer IDs

Exactly All free to support or 'support against' whoever we want. We've plenty options... that's the beauty of not qualifying
    'the beauty of not qualifying'. That's actually quite funny. I just don't know who I most don't want to win.

'the beauty of not qualifying'. That's actually quite funny. I just don't know who I most don't want to win.

I thought we'd all agreed that's England, without exception

Gamer IDs

I thought we'd all agreed that's England, without exception
    If be 'we' you mean you then you're correct.

Soft on Korea now, eh?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Soft on Korea now, eh?
    Absolutely not, I just didn't want to lob the full Godfather christening day list in to the post. You can chalk up Saudi Arabia and Germany too (though Germany is a bit love/hate for me). And Ecuador - that's where the corrupt ref came from.

Oh it's all going to be one giant enjoyable bag of seethe for me. Can't wait.

Of course England are our rivals! They are our closest nation, we previously fought them for centuries, and used to play them every year. Just because we are now brutal as a national team and never qualify doesn’t mean we can’t still have a rival. The fact they see Germany and Argentina as more of a rival matters little as well. Are we now not allowed to have a rival because we are poor?

@hibs.net private member
    As Butcher said "the beauty of not qualifying is that it takes away the fear of getting knocked out"

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I hear the Costa Rica goalkeeper is a 'Spic ba***rr' every time he touches the ball. Their fans remind me of the Huns.

There’s nothing like condescension and thinly-veiled accusations of racism to make a man want to move from “meh” to “ABE”, but I won’t. If England do well, that’s fine. I’m not overly fussed. If folk want them to get hammered every game, that’s fine. If folk want them to win the thing that’s fine, too. Weird, but fine. But neither should be taking moral high ground against the other over their reasons for doing so.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    That's because they are usually highly seeded due to their past results. Since Scotland last qualified for the World Cup finals (20 years ago) our seedings and rankings have gone down the tubes, thereby making it increasingly difficult for Scotland to qualify sadly.
    Its no wonder were so low though...with the groups we generally get.

Remember that year we got the 2 precious finalists in our group(France and Italy),and just to make it all the better Ukraine(who had ended up 3rd in world cup)

Whats so wrong with throwing all the names in a hat...and see what happens.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Not holding my breath on this one. Got my popcorn ready for the fall out. Great entertainment cabaret before the serious stuff starts in the SPFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Its no wonder were so low though...with the groups we generally get.

Remember that year we got the 2 precious finalists in our group(France and Italy),and just to make it all the better Ukraine(who had ended up 3rd in world cup)

Whats so wrong with throwing all the names in a hat...and see what happens.
    Because the organisers, the sponsors and the viewing public want the best teams at the finals. Understandably so.

That's why there's seeding.

We get difficult groups because we're in with the second bottom seeds.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    No-one is building England up.

Apart, perhaps, from bitter Scottish football fans.
    "THE Sun today salutes our small army of brave Three Lions fans in Russia — and calls on supporters at home to roar the team to glory.
    A wonder goal from Marcus Rashford and a fine team performance helped England to a 2-0 warm-up win over Costa Rica in Leeds.
    As our boys prepared to fly out to their St Petersburg base last night, a buzz of belief was finally building in pubs and sitting rooms.
    England captain Harry Kane, 24, led the call to arms with a rousing battle cry. Asked why he was heading for Russia, he said: “To win the World Cup — simple as that.
    “We’re all winners in this squad, that’s how we’ve got to where we are. We all want to win trophies. So why not this one?”
    Spurs fan Richard Carson, 36, of Teddington, South West London, said: “With players like Rashford, Kane and Raheem Sterling we can shock the world and stick it to Vladimir Putin in his own backyard.”

I just hope that WHEN they get knocked out they get knocked out fair and square, like that time when Diego Maradona scored a cracking header against them.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    ABE for me. I live in England, my wife’s English and my kids are half English.

Don’t be fooled. They love when we lose. Then come out with that scantimonious pish “oh I’d support Scotland if it was just Scotland at the World Cup”. Bull ****!

Hope they get tonked at every turn, nothing wrong with wanting your closest rivals to fail.

Sadly they have a stupidly easy group. (Spain v Portugal anyone?) Also the group that their top two will face in the last 16 is crap as well.

However if they get to the quarters, I believe it will be the good ole Germans or Brazil to send England home.

1/4ers are about right for England. Good, but nowhere good enough.

J

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    "THE Sun today salutes our small army of brave Three Lions fans in Russia — and calls on supporters at home to roar the team to glory.
    A wonder goal from Marcus Rashford and a fine team performance helped England to a 2-0 warm-up win over Costa Rica in Leeds.
    As our boys prepared to fly out to their St Petersburg base last night, a buzz of belief was finally building in pubs and sitting rooms.
    England captain Harry Kane, 24, led the call to arms with a rousing battle cry. Asked why he was heading for Russia, he said: “To win the World Cup — simple as that.
    “We’re all winners in this squad, that’s how we’ve got to where we are. We all want to win trophies. So why not this one?”
    Spurs fan Richard Carson, 36, of Teddington, South West London, said: “With players like Rashford, Kane and Raheem Sterling we can shock the world and stick it to Vladimir Putin in his own backyard.”

To make your point you quote the Sun?

@hibs.net private member

What do you expect Kane to say?

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    To make your point you quote the Sun?

Yep.

What do you expect Kane to say?
    What you'd HOPE for is a little humility from the captain of a team that hasn't won anything since 1966. Cautious optimism perhaps, tempered by a little modesty. That would go a long way to stop most other nations thinking of England and their fans as red-faced, arrogant, entitled, self deluders.

But, of course, fuelled by the jingoistic guff that comes from the Sun etc., they'll get swept up in the usual national delusion that they are better than everyone else and the World Cup is in the bag.

And then they'll come home empty handed as usual.

@hibs.net private member
    What you'd HOPE for is a little humility from the captain of a team that hasn't won anything since 1966. Cautious optimism perhaps, tempered by a little modesty. That would go a long way to stop most other nations thinking of England and their fans as red-faced, arrogant, entitled, self deluders.

But, of course, fuelled by the jingoistic guff that comes from the Sun etc., they'll get swept up in the usual national delusion that they are better than everyone else and the World Cup is in the bag.

And then they'll come home empty handed as usual.
    You think the Sun has quoted Kane word for word with everything in context? Just quoting them destroys your credibilty but it's probably only there, or similar places, you could find any quotes to your taste.

You think the Sun has quoted Kane word for word with everything in context? Just quoting them destroys your credibilty but it's probably only there, or similar places, you could find any quotes to your taste.

You're right - the Sun "journalists" probably made up Kane's quote in order to support their agenda which is, as ever build them up then knock them down. That way, their "readers" can have the pleasure of anticipating certain victory... and then rage at the team, the players, the manager, the tactics, the crooked refs, the cheating foreign teams, etc. etc.

That was my point.

If you look up, you may see it whizzing past above your head.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Spain v Tunisia on FreeSports channel 95. Still 0-0 but Spain poor at the back so far. Think Tunisia are England’s first opponents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk