hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblesmorrison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watch braveheart or listen to any game at the world cup and count how long it takes then to mention 1966.

I also presume you would like to see Hearts to wellthis year?
    Watch Bravehheart? : faf:

So what if they mention 1966?

When they do, it's usually bemoaning the fact that they've failed to win it since.

I think 1902 might have been mentioned a few times when Hibs played in the Scottish Cup.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Spot on. The irony of using the word “embarrassing” and then writing off people’s interest in international football becuase it’s “total s**t”.

Not to mention rambling about braveheart for no reason.
    Bravehheart was used as a reason to want England to lose.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    1. You obviously haven’t heard of the concept of sporting rivalry?
    Is it rivalry, though?

Rivalry is a 2 way thing. Most English people want Scotland to do well unless it's against their team. Some others don't really care. Only a small minority actively want us to fail and that's usually because of how they perceive our feelings towards them.

I've lived south of the border for about 7 years in total and I've worked extensively throughout England.

I've never heard anyone say that they hoped Scotland would lose, never mind get hammered or embarrassed etc.

Personally, I don't think I could bring myself to actively support them, but I'm not jumping on the childish ABE bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Bravehheart was used as a reason to want England to lose.
    I see that in your quoted post above. Also laughable. But presumably only in that one post.

1902 was indeed mentioned a lot during our Scottish cup matches. It's formed part of our great sporting rivalry with Hearts over many years, and led to the greatest weekend in many of our lives.

Nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with wanting your international rivals to lose.

England fans generally don't like to see Scotland/Wales/Ireland win either.. .just ask Scouse

Just like Holland and Germany want each other beat. Scandinavian rivalries. Brazil and Argentina. etc etc

We're not some exception that makes us racist, William Wallace wannabees.

Is it rivalry, though?

Rivalry is a 2 way thing. Most English people want Scotland to do well unless it's against their team. Some others don't really care. Only a small minority actively want us to fail and that's usually because of how they perceive our feelings towards them.

I've lived south of the border for about 7 years in total and I've worked extensively throughout England.

I've never heard anyone say that they hoped Scotland would lose, never mind get hammered or embarrassed etc.

Personally, I don't think I could bring myself to actively support them, but I'm not jumping on the childish ABE bandwagon.
    I'm somewhere near where you are in that I don't get as fussed about them as a lot of my friends/family. I still want them to lose whenever they play (like Hearts) but it doesn't really bother me if and when they win.

I've been confident over the last ten years, including this one, that they won't go close to winning it. Enjoying them getting knocked out prematurely as our biggest rivals is about all we have seeing as we're never there ourselves

I see that in your quoted post above. Also laughable. But presumably only in that one post.
    Yes, but that's why others have mentioned it.

England fans generally don't like to see Scotland/Wales/Ireland win either.. .just ask Scouse
    That's definitely not the case. Most English people want the home nations to succeed. Much in the same way as most Scots are happy to see Wales, Norn Iron and the Republic do well.

Of course there are some people who have their own reasons for wanting them to lose, but the vast majority would prefer them to win.

Yes, but that's why others have mentioned it.

That's definitely not the case. Most English people want the home nations to succeed. Much in the same way as most Scots are happy to see Wales, Norn Iron and the Republic do well.

Of course there are some people who have their own reasons for wanting them to lose, but the vast majority would prefer them to win.
    I disagree. Granted if you've lived down there you've more experience. And I'm sure there will be less relevance for them as we rarely win anyway haha... a bit like when a club is doing well, you're more concerned about seeing them beat. The songs and chants of their travelling fans would suggest otherwise though. Although 'English people' and the active English support are two different things.

When you say "happy to do well"... the majority of the Tartan Army have no leanings to wanting Wales or the Irish do well. Albeit they may not be actively wanting them to lose.

"Home nations" means nothing to me, other than a rugby term. (appreciate that's just me).

Regardless of how much they do or don't like us (in football terms)... it's still not childish for any Scottish fan to not want England to win their matches.

Blog Entries
    I disagree. Granted if you've lived down there you've more experience. And I'm sure there will be less relevance for them as we rarely win anyway haha... a bit like when a club is doing well, you're more concerned about seeing them beat. The songs and chants of their travelling fans would suggest otherwise though. Although 'English people' and the active English support are two different things.

When you say "happy to do well"... the majority of the Tartan Army have no leanings to wanting Wales or the Irish do well. Albeit they may not be actively wanting them to lose.

"Home nations" means nothing to me, other than a rugby term. (appreciate that's just me).

Regardless of how much they do or don't like us (in football terms)... it's still not childish for any Scottish fan to not want England to win their matches.
    I'm half English and I consider not wanting them to win a bit of fun / banter. I don't hate the English, just don't want the football team to do well.

Mrs Beefster is English so, technically, Mini-Beefster is half English. I still like watching the English national team in various sports taking a pumping.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I like to see us beat them at anything we can, just seeing it all as pretty healthy sporting rivalry.

If they are playing anyone else I'm generally happy to see them succeed - unless it's another home nation in which case I'm pretty agnostic.

Nothing wrong with wanting to compete with our only land neighbours. I just think it seems much more bitter and chip on shoulder cringe when it becomes ABE. At that point it's not about us beating them, it's about wishing them ill. That does seem bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I like to see us beat them at anything we can, just seeing it all as pretty healthy sporting rivalry.

If they are playing anyone else I'm generally happy to see them succeed - unless it's another home nation in which case I'm pretty agnostic.

Nothing wrong with wanting to compete with our only land neighbours. I just think it seems much more bitter and chip on shoulder cringe when it becomes ABE. At that point it's not about us beating them, it's about wishing them ill. That does seem bitter.
    So it's a bitter sporting rivalry then

Surely no more bitter than wanting Hearts to get beat in almost every game they play in, as our rivals?

So it's a bitter sporting rivalry then

Surely no more bitter than wanting Hearts to get beat in almost every game they play in, as our rivals?
    It's not a real rivalry, though. I'ts pretty much one way.

English fans either don't care if we win or lose, or actively want us to win, unless we're playing them.

Generally, Scotland fans want England to lose every game in every sport, even cricket, and you're not going to tell me that's about rivalry too, are you?

English fans either don't care if we win or lose, or actively want us to win, unless we're playing them.

Generally, Scotland fans want England to lose every game in every sport, even cricket, and you're not going to tell me that's about rivalry too, are you?
    Ok, I won't. What is it then... are all Scottish sports fans, who don't support England, racists?

A lot of my favourite sportsmen, musicians, friends and family are all English. I enjoy going to a few of their cities, more than many of our places. I can't think for a second that I've got any prejudice towards someone for being English.

I still prefer them to get beat at football though.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

I always want them to win at cricket. I want them to lose at every other sport though, and the heavier the defeat the better. Next folk will be on telling us that wanting Hearts to lose is about religious bigotry and not sporting rivalry. Total bull, as is the notion that Scottish folk wanting England beat is racist

I don't care about English sportsmen and don't care about their results.

What I do "hate" is the media and pundits prior to and during any major tournament going overboard about their chances.

I genuinely believe that no other nation, possibly with the exception of the Aussies, behave in this way over sport.

I think every pundit at BBC and ITV are trained using old tapes of Emlyn Hughes.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Is it rivalry, though?

Yes, it is rivalry.

For me it’s irrelevant what England fans think of the Scottish team. I still want England’s football team (and rugby) team to lose every match.

I’m in no way anti-English, but I find a bit childish bitterness makes for a decent world cup, especially when Scotland are never involved.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 05-06-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    When you look at the group's England usually have to qualify from...It's no surprise they qualify.
    That's because they are usually highly seeded due to their past results. Since Scotland last qualified for the World Cup finals (20 years ago) our seedings and rankings have gone down the tubes, thereby making it increasingly difficult for Scotland to qualify sadly.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    No-one here thinks they'll win it though...

Yes commentators/journos/pundits do my head in but, I prefer England to do quite well as it helps retain my interest in the competition. I would rather watch England v Uraguay than say, Poland v Uraguay. Just because I am more familiar with the players. Not sure if the squad is as good as the Brazilians , Argentinians, Spanish, or Germans though.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Every English football fan i speak to tells me in no uncertain terms just how mickey mouse football in Scotland is.

Christ even a german told me this last week in the pub watching the Gareth Bale show against the scousers.

Forgive me laughing when they get pumped, but i await that inevitable pumping each and every tournament they play in.

I dont give a toss about any other sport they play, but when its football i want them pumped as quickly as possible.

I’m just not the biggest fan of English football and imo it’s not the best league in the world to some people’s disbeleif.

Competitive? Man City won the league by a country mile. Our league was far more competitive this season.

Hibs 5-5 Rangers = Poor football/ability and an awful league
    Tottenham 5-4 Leceister = Best league in the world entertaining football

Fwiw there’s not many English players I dislike at the moment and actually quite like most them as players, for me it’s the media/journalists and their over inflated confidence about how amazing they are.

I’d love them to get pumped by Spain/Germany

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Every English football fan i speak to tells me in no uncertain terms just how mickey mouse football in Scotland is.

Christ even a german told me this last week in the pub watching the Gareth Bale show against the scousers.

Forgive me laughing when they get pumped, but i await that inevitable pumping each and every tournament they play in.

I dont give a toss about any other sport they play, but when its football i want them pumped as quickly as possible.
    I grew up in England and regularly encountered English supporters hoping Scotland lose.

In fact my mates whatsapp me every time we do.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Always prefer them to get done in the QF’s - gives the fans and media time to get even more deluded with hope. They get so deranged it becomes as if they, rather than Hearts, won two World Wars.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Always prefer them to get done in the QF’s - gives the fans and media time to get even more deluded with hope. They get so deranged it becomes as if they, rather than Hearts, won two World Wars.

The Iceland defeat in the Euros was a new high for me, the amount of seethe and anger was off the scale down here, much better than a defeat from Germany or Brazil.

And it sparked off a multitude of juvenile gags.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    It’s the most open World cup in a long time. I don’t feel there is an out and out favourite albeit the bookies have it as the Germans.

For me if any of the top 12 or so teams arrive at the tournament and hit form I think they can win it.
    The Germans looked really poor in their test match against Austria. I just hope they can up their game.

England will get through the group easily enough and then it's about the draw. Looking at their squad, they are not exactly brimming with star players but they have good athleticism and pace. Quarter finals for me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    England will get through the group easily enough and then it's about the draw. Looking at their squad, they are not exactly brimming with star players but they have good athleticism and pace. Quarter finals for me.
    There is no “draw” as such. They will more than likely play Poland or Colombia, depending on who wins the group and if England win theirs.

The path I have them on is finishing runner-up, playing Colombia (I think they will win their group), beat them and then knocked out by Germany

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    There is no “draw” as such. They will more than likely play Poland or Colombia, depending on who wins the group and if England win theirs.

The path I have them on is finishing runner-up, playing Colombia (I think they will win their group), beat them and then knocked out by Germany
    I just mean the permutations around who finishes 1st and 2nd in the groups have a huge impact on chances of progression in later rounds. It's difficult to predict how far any country will go as a result.

If England win their group they'll probably get Brazil in the quarters. England would be lucky to keep it down to 2-0 to be honest.

I want England to lose every game of football they play. I've also heard them signing songs about the scots not being at tournaments or how **** we are and I've also seen them jump on any social media post relating to Scottish football and our clubs so to suggest they wish us well or have no thoughts about us is, imo laughable

Maybe some "don't mind" us winning or qualifying because its been so long but sure as **** once were there, they'll want us hammered.

Or maybe it's similar, not to our relationship with Hearts, but instead the OF over the years? I've wanted them pumped from everyone (bar hearts or when it benefits us like the SCF)