hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In fairness you’ve gone from “almost all” to “some” which is probably more accurate!
    I think it used to be much more prevalent than it is now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Journalists ask question like those for the same reason they ask most other questions - to try to elicit a response that will make news, not cast light on things. ********s that are best ignored.
    Again, that's true.

I suppose I mean it helps explain why people in England would think that Scots would support England.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I want Wales, NI, Republic of Ireland and England to get beat when they play. It's all down to them being our closest rivals for me. Nothing against any Welsh, Irish N and S, or English folk but that's how I see it. Same as domestic football happy to see hearts celtic, Huns Aberdeen beat any day of the week as they are our biggest rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Funny, the coverage in England is all about England.

No one here is very much interested in Spain.

Amazing, eh?
    I think the word for that is whoosh 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    I think the word for that is whoosh 😂
    I certainly missed the joke.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I was trying to explain why journalists ask if we're supporting England, nothing else.

There was no suggestion that anyone should support England. I'm not, but I won't be distraught if they do.

However, it's definitely true that the majority of English people want the other home countries to do well, in the same way as we're happy for Wales and NI to succeed.

All my relatives are English as are pretty much all my friends and acquaintances down here.

I can assure you that they always want Scotland to win their games, apart from against them.

Why would I make that up?
    I’m not accusing you of making it up. I just don’t think your acquaintances speak for the overall English support. Many of my friends and family are English.. some of them don’t really care either way.. I don’t recall any of them actively wanting Scotland to do well. By the same token.. they don’t speak for the English support either.

As I’ve said before. Attending international games and being in the same places as travelling English support tells me they don’t “want us to do well”.

Again though, even if every one of them wanted Scotland to win their next game, there is no necessity to return the favour.

Apologies re your first line.. I hadn’t picked up the journalist chat from previous pages.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    You obviously don't know many English folk. I have worked all over the UK and found that the majority support all the home countries except when England play them. It may not fit your agenda but thems the facts.
    I obviously do know a great number of English people, as I’ve stated above. All the patronising posts in the world won’t change that.

My “agenda” being not really giving a ***k who supports which other countries at the World Cup but taking issue with people having a go at those that do want to support against their rivals. Thems the facts.

I love how so many people who have “worked across the uk” are in this almighty position to give you “facts” regarding the population and their sporting persuasions. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I’m not accusing you of making it up. I just don’t think your acquaintances speak for the overall English support. Many of my friends and family are English.. some of them don’t really care either way.. I don’t recall any of them actively wanting Scotland to do well. By the same token.. they don’t speak for the English support either.

As I’ve said before. Attending international games and being in the same places as travelling English support tells me they don’t “want us to do well”.

Again though, even if every one of them wanted Scotland to win their next game, there is no necessity to return the favour.

Apologies re your first line.. I hadn’t picked up the journalist chat from previous pages.
    I'm not talking about the England travelling supporters.

Collectively, they care only for England and that's fair enough.

I'm taking about the English generally.

I'm not talking about the England travelling supporters.

Collectively, they care only for England and that's fair enough.

I'm taking about the English generally.
    Fair enough - you reckon the majority of the England (football supporting) population would support Scotland in a football match not involving England.

More than happy to agree to disagree. Especially as there’s no real point to our debate than something to do while falling asleep :)

Fair enough - you reckon the majority of the England population would support Scotland in a football match not involving England.

More than happy to agree to disagree. Especially as there’s no real point to our debate than something to do while falling asleep :)
    😁

That is indeed my assertion and I agree that it's something to do.

Night night 👍

@hibs.net private member
    Personally I couldn’t give a friar’s tuck about how Wales or Northern Ireland get on. I find it funny that I am meant to support England in this World Cup. To me that is like saying I should support Hearts when they play because they are from Edinburgh. Personally the main reason I get ABE is the way They set themselves up for a fall- see all the comments about we now have an easy run to the semifinals. I go on holiday next week and will be delighted not to hear them until after the tournament is over.

Living in Holland a lot of my mates are English and most, if not all, support Scotland when we play, and they know I support anyone that plays against them. Dont know why it doesnt bother them to be honest, mibbe because they think its more a pity support?

England won't win the World Cup. They might be in with a shout for the euros next time if they keep the nucleus of the squad together.

I think (as much as it hurts to say) they have a good chance of winning the WC, good fast team with goal scoring players throughout the team, they have been good to watch(washes mooth oot wae soap and water).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Living in Holland a lot of my mates are English and most, if not all, support Scotland when we play, and they know I support anyone that plays against them. Dont know why it doesnt bother them to be honest, mibbe because they think its more a pity support?
    It would probably change if we actually got near to winning something. 😀

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Funny, the coverage in England is all about England.

No one here is very much interested in Spain.

Amazing, eh?
    😂

I obviously do know a great number of English people, as I’ve stated above. All the patronising posts in the world won’t change that.

My “agenda” being not really giving a ***k who supports which other countries at the World Cup but taking issue with people having a go at those that do want to support against their rivals. Thems the facts.

I love how so many people who have “worked across the uk” are in this almighty position to give you “facts” regarding the population and their sporting persuasions. Brilliant.
    My experience of living in England is exactly that we wanted any of the home nations to do well. Was genuinely shocked when I realised it wasn't the same here. Now that I live here, I just accept the auld rivalry but don't understand the bitterness from some.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    My experience of living in England is exactly that we wanted any of the home nations to do well. Was genuinely shocked when I realised it wasn't the same here. Now that I live here, I just accept the auld rivalry but don't understand the bitterness from some.
    I think that may have been the case back in the day. Having lived in England for last 13 years most see Scotland largely as an irrelevance with a minority wanting us to lose (altho I am based in London and recognise it may be different further north). I think why people in Scotland want ABE is that we never qualify these days so all the coverage we get is through the prism of England and it’s over the top media.

Seeing the English reaction to Germany going out (front page mocking verging on xenophobia in all of the tabloids) made me think how bad it would have been if the English hadn’t qualified for twenty years, had to watch all their football with Germans commentating and with references to German World Cup victories in every match whether they were playing or not.

Given that what Scots have to put up with it’s not too surprising that there is bitterness with some and I also think that most Scots are quite restrained given the circumstances!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Therein lies the paradox. I wonder what the underlying theme is with England. V Germany. Is it that some Englanders attach history to a sporting fixture or is it about the sporting competition between them?

My view is that the former takes precedence, particularly since the Germans really only rose to footballing prominence in the 1960’s. However, surely accusations of underlying racist and uber nationalist sentiment is taking things too far? Or do our resident wince merchants only apply that logic when it comes to Scottish fans?

This would take a whole book to analyse in depth but in a nutshell -
    I was born in London in 1946 and grew up surrounded by friends and family who had fought in the war and had lost close pals or relatives so not surprising that there was anti-German feelings. My childhood amongst the bomb sites in London was also influenced by food rationing. I know a lot of this was replicated in Germany but I can only comment on my own experiences here and how it affected me and my pals.
    All the comic book heroes (those from from the armed forces) were still fighting the "Hun", the "Bosch" and the Nazis so these anti-German feelings were nurtured to an extent.
    It plodded along and faded into the background for many years until two things happened around the same time. The Germans began early morning commando raids to secure the sunbeds before the other holiday makers had woken up and then the bounders began playing some good football and apart from one incident in the mid sixties they became our footballing nemesis.

Obviously the war is long over and apart from the sunbeds it is now mainly a football rivalry. It is different from Hibs/Hearts because we recognise that the German teams have evolved and improved over the years to become favourites in any competition they enter on a National level' The club sides that have been successful are fewer than you would expect so there is not much animosity towards them. Personally I feel that most of the current feeling is down to frustration that they have been so good for so many years and we haven't. Also they are an easy, lazy target for the more obnoxious Engerland followers (Dambusters theme, 2 world wars etc and the Lenny airplane impressions) to latch onto and make them feel a little better about their own team's shortcomings.

I don't mind the football rivalry but hope that is all it will be eventually.

Sorry - rather a big nutshell.
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 29-06-2018 at 09:04 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ED Hibee View Post
    I think that may have been the case back in the day. Having lived in England for last 13 years most see Scotland largely as an irrelevance with a minority wanting us to lose (altho I am based in London and recognise it may be different further north). I think why people in Scotland want ABE is that we never qualify these days so all the coverage we get is through the prism of England and it’s over the top media.

Seeing the English reaction to Germany going out (front page mocking verging on xenophobia in all of the tabloids) made me think how bad it would have been if the English hadn’t qualified for twenty years, had to watch all their football with Germans commentating and with references to German World Cup victories in every match whether they were playing or not.

Given that what Scots have to put up with it’s not too surprising that there is bitterness with some and I also think that most Scots are quite restrained given the circumstances!
    Why just say English when you are quoting the English media and why are you so influenced by the media when you must know they only represent themselves?

Testimonial Due

Yes worked. in London for 7 years with a load of East Enders and they all supported Scitland unless playing England. They knew we did not retrun the favour which made me fell quite embarrassed. Went to game in Euros 96 game with big bunch of them 12 English and 3 Scots. A great day out starting wuth fry up in East End. We all ended legless in Soho club. By this time the three of us were very sad and morose. Our English friends bought bottles of champagne and put Saltire flags in the bottles and came and Hugged us saying we know how you feel saying it been a great game that turned on the famous penalty. I still want England to loose every game!

Quote Originally Posted by ED Hibee View Post

My experience is of Liverpool I can't vouch for the London dafties.

On that note I will actually be in Liverpool for the Colombia game, not a moaning jock in sight I hope
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 29-06-2018 at 09:30 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    It wasn’t just the media. It was all over Twitter and many of my English in laws were taking great delight in Germany going out. And for the large part it was good natured banter and understanble given the rivalry which you explain so well above.

I agree with you re the media and I do largely ignore it but Scotland and the other home nations are the only countries in the world which has to watch all World Cup matches through the prism of another nations media and was suggesting that perhaps that explains why some become bitter.

I’m not too bitter about and will be happy for my family includIng my two boys who both support England if they are successful. Although will certainly engage in a bit of banter when they inevitably go out on penalties at some point in the knock out rounds 😀

First Team Breakthrough
    My experience is of Liverpool I can't vouch for the London dafties.

On that note I will actually be in Liverpool for the Colombia game, not a moaning jock in sight I hope

Folk definitely get more reasonable the further north you go. Which is why my fellow Highland Hibees are definitely the most reasonable around.

Enjoy the match in Liverpool although i’m sure Liverpool has more than its fair share of Scots who’ll come out of the woodwork should it all go wrong for England.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I was born in London in 1946 and grew up surrounded by friends and family who had fought in the war and had lost close pals or relatives so not surprising that there was anti-German feelings. My childhood amongst the bomb sites in London was also influenced by food rationing. I know a lot of this was replicated in Germany but I can only comment on my own experiences here and how it affected me and my pals.
    All the comic book heroes (those from from the armed forces) were still fighting the "Hun", the "Bosch" and the Nazis so these anti-German feelings were nurtured to an extent.
    It plodded along and faded into the background for many years until two things happened around the same time. The Germans began early morning commando raids to secure the sunbeds before the other holiday makers had woken up and then the bounders began playing some good football and apart from one incident in the mid sixties they became our footballing nemesis.

Obviously the war is long over and apart from the sunbeds it is now mainly a football rivalry. It is different from Hibs/Hearts because we recognise that the German teams have evolved and improved over the years to become favourites in any competition they enter on a National level' The club sides that have been successful are fewer than you would expect so there is not much animosity towards them. Personally I feel that most of the current feeling is down to frustration that they have been so good for so many years and we haven't. Also they are an easy, lazy target for the more obnoxious Engerland followers (Dambusters theme, 2 world wars etc and the Lenny airplane impressions) to latch onto and make them feel a little better about their own team's shortcomings.

Good post.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Same for Scottish people just got slightly longer memories.

@hibs.net private member
    I don't want to take this down a political route, but simply make a personal observation.

When I was younger and lived in Hampshire I only ever saw friendly rivalry and wind ups. (which I considered myself as winning because I could point out that Hibs were the first champions of the world 😁).

Since the referendum kicked off in 2012 I have often been asked why Scots hate England and have seen a little less friendliness. And this hasn't been helped by the nonsense about Andy Murray.

Having said all that, because the Argies still go on about the Falklands, where friends of mine had served, I was delighted to see them lose yesterday.

Left by mutual consent!

I think that's a common thread for the post war generation, and pops up time and again in popular culture, whether it's Alf Garnett, the music of the Who, or Pink Floyd, or comedians. My generation (born early sixties) also picked up on it through osmosis, and also things like DC Thomson comics.

Football wise, the 1966 and 1974 World Cup finals were definitely replays of that. The one at Wembley even featured support from our Soviet Allies.

Because I wasn't directly affected by the war, it was probably easier to grow out of it, but kids born from 1935 to 1945, were exposed to the genuine fear of the war, and heavy propaganda from our side.

As for England, I've neve gotten over Flodden.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Fwiw had to take a look at this when I went out with an English girl around Euro 96.
    Banter can cross the line.
    Anyway the way I broke it down was this (remember per-devolution / Scottish Parliament)

Politics mixed with nationhood
    - there are folk in NE England etc that detested / Suffered Maggie too.

A nation represented by eedgits
    - Jimmy Hill and Chris Evans (esp 96) mouthpiece disliked by the English too

121 the English are fine in the main
    - so as my then girlfriend asked "who do you _know_ that's English that you actually hate"?

So a mix of politics and media representation that do the Engs no favours.

So do I support them in the WC? No :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.