hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's only 20 odd caps between them, compare that to Mexico which is 500+. Reality is in competitive competition most of these players won't be included.
    Exactly. Some folk on here are coming across as completely clueless ignoring this point. That was more like a majority Scotland C squad. Throw in the likes of Liverpool’s Robertson, Armstrong, Griffiths, Tierney, Ritchie etc and its a whole different looking and styled team.
    Last edited by California-Hibs; 03-06-2018 at 02:28 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Whoever agreed to these games needs fired.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Didn’t see the game but reckon apart from Mexico actually being a better team than us the altitude would have done us no favours. 1-0 isn’t a disgrace.

I don't think you could have expected anything other than 2 defeats from those games. Playing teams that are arguably better than our 1st choice squad with a 2nd or 3rd choice squad.

It was a strange decision to take the games, probably the SFAs daftest decision since the Qatar friendly at ER.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Forget the results but can someone tell me why these games were arranged to start with? What purpose will this serve us? 2 games and 0 goals.

Players looking shattered as well. Something needs to be done about all this because it’s becoming embarrassing. SFA should be taking all the blame for me.
    Last edited by Thecat23; 03-06-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Whoever agreed to these games needs fired.
    He resigned. Thankfully!

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar

Here we go Mexico.

Every player that played on this tour did so because the wanted to be there to play for Scotland.

Well done to them, and I think some will have staked a claim to feature more regularly now.

Once again it has shown that we’re desperately light up front, are there any young scottish strikers coming through to get excited about? Does Kamberi have a scottish relative??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I right in thinking that both games will also affect our co-efficient ranking?

Wonder what the total cost of the trip was ? Money better spent elsewhere in the game ?

Nothing against the players who went but the whole thing is a little odd and questions should be asked.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Am I right in thinking that both games will also affect our co-efficient ranking?

Wonder what the total cost of the trip was ? Money better spent elsewhere in the game ?

Nothing against the players who went but the whole thing is a little odd and questions should be asked.
    Don’t know about coefficient, but SFA would have been paid handsomely for this trip. They need the money, as we haven’t qualified for a major for more then 20 years

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Every player wanted to be there, and every player will think its enhanced their chances in getting into future squads.

Slipping the odd player in when we are at full strength will help them all much more than all together, but i bet they have all enjoyed this experience, and will benefit them in the future.

I thought some of our players looked dead on their feet.

Some of the players we've been needing to have a look at (Hibs and Aberdeen players mainly) will have done their future chances little good and they'll be back for the new season in 3 weeks or so.

They'd have been better off being on a beach. Rest is important.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It's on now

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    How many quality Scots players are there in top sides of the EPL compared to the days of Billy Bremner et al?
    That tells you everything. The kids today are too busy playing fitba on their computers instead of out in the street.
    It was a different world then. No doubt we had better players back in the day but it's a globalised world now. With the number and quality of foreign imports playing in the EPL, it's unrealistic to think the best teams would be full of players from Scotland.

Having said that, while the squad available needs to be taken into account, I was shocked by the difference in touch and control between Mexico and Scotland. So many societal and cultural factors at play so how do we ever bridge that gap?

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    There's only 20 odd caps between them, compare that to Mexico which is 500+. Reality is in competitive competition most of these players won't be included.

Plus it's past the end of the season.

I have no idea why anybody thought this post season tour, with a lot of players unilkely to be picked normally, was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Plus it's past the end of the season.

I have no idea why anybody thought this post season tour, with a lot of players unilkely to be picked normally, was a good idea.
    An all expenses paid end of season trip for the blazers.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I thought it was probably a useful exercise for 5 or 6 players who have a chance of making an impact. Lewis Morgan, Scott McKenna, Dylan, SJM, McBurnie, Patterson, Russell, could all play vital parts in the next competitive campaign, and playing in those adverse conditions was a great test of their mettle. The national team doesn't play together enough, unlike Mexico, so more games together is a good start, even if you're drafting in a few reserves to benefit the main men.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I thought it was probably a useful exercise for 5 or 6 players who have a chance of making an impact. Lewis Morgan, Scott McKenna, Dylan, SJM, McBurnie, Patterson, Russell, could all play vital parts in the next competitive campaign, and playing in those adverse conditions was a great test of their mettle. The national team doesn't play together enough, unlike Mexico, so more games together is a good start, even if you're drafting in a few reserves to benefit the main men.
    A very useful exercise for Lewis though. He has a cap & jersey to add to his two cup winning medals.
    Even if he doesn't get another call up, he will always be able to tell his grandkids about the day he played for Scotland.
    Well done, Lewie. You deserved it.

Just catching up. Recorded the game and watched it this morning with a pot of tea and a fry up. What is it that Willie Miller is supposed to be adding to my enjoyment of the game? He sounds like he's auditioning for one of the characters in still game and as for the commentator he had "Azteca" tourettes! If he said it once he must have said the name of the stadium at least a dozen times
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Co-commentator getting on anyone else's nerves?
    Sent from my Lenovo TB3-X70F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If nothing else what an absolute thrill it must be for the likes of John and Dylan and the other young playes to play in a stadium like the Azteca.

The venue, the atmosphere, playing at altitude, the quality of opposition and even just the history of the stadium that has held two world cup finals can all be stored away in their experience bank.

It is a life lesson for these guys and even if none of them go on to long international careers they will all be better players for it and gives them a valuable taste of what playing in a major tournament is all about and hopefully make them hungry to acheive this for real.

Just watched it.... Paul Hanlon most have a wee smile on his face. Not one of those CHs is near his level.

oh and willie miller needs to **** off.

As previously mentioned those Aberdeen players were woeful and Dylan had a very poor game.

Not looking great going forward lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    As previously mentioned those Aberdeen players were woeful and Dylan had a very poor game.

Not looking great going forward lol
    It looked like Dylan was the only CM. Formation was all over the place tbh

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Just watched it.... Paul Hanlon most have a wee smile on his face. Not one of those CHs is near his level.
    Not sure about that,i agree Hanlon is no worse but in my opinion I'm not sure he's better.

The most annoying thing about Miller was his inability to say anything negative about any of the Aberdeen players! Nobody had a great game and all looked to be struggling but Shinnie and Mckenna were nothing special while Christie and Maclean ( i hardly realised they were on the pitch) were downright awful,yet all he does is highlight other players mistakes,but not a word when either of those 2 were subbed at how crap they had been and brought nothing to the game.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    An all expenses paid end of season trip for the blazers.
    Nutshell main reason

We were mentally a yard behind the Mexicans throughout the game. We can't find a player with a 5 yard pass.
    1-0 flattered us big time. Well done to the players for that but, the standard of basic ball control compared to our opposition was obvious. Silk playing denim.
    No wonder we don't qualify for the WC. A blessing in disguise maybe.
    This.

I get how its difficult playing a team who are good in possession, as the Mexicans were. But life is a hell of a lot easier if you can maximise your own time on the ball ....Forget about playing in the street and all that stuff, in all honesty for folk who have been playing football at professional clubs since they were kids and been getting paid to play it since their late teens IMO there was and is no excuse for poor ball control, under and over hit passes under little pressure and an inability to pick the right option.

I just don't get it ..... these guys ( and I don't just mean the players last night ) are failing to control passes, failing to find a team mate with the ball, and failing to choose the right pass in situations where I would be critical of a player in our walking football team for screwing up. There was a point last night where a Scotland player received the ball in the middle of his own half with the nearest Mexican 10 yards away, but instead of turning with the ball and heading up the field he passed all the way back to a defender .... how can a professional player have such a lack of awareness of what's around him and / or such a lack of faith in his own ability?

Nutshell main reason
    They have to get their paid holidays, not as if we're getting to a tournament soon.

Just read Mexico had 30 odd shots on goal last night. Astounding.

Surprised at the negativity towards the games on this thread, not dissimalar to WM. Hard to commentate from a studio but aye, they were both poor. Close to Everest 😂

From a Scotland fan's perspective I thought that it was great to see us play in Mexico and Peru. Only footage of these kind of games in the past is very grainy. Shame not to have a proper squad to have a go at it but good to see fringe players like Russell, Paterson and McKenna do well along with potential future stars like McBurnie (thought he was great in Mexico in a role he'll grow into). The flip of that is we saw McLean, Christie and a few others aren't quite there. Shinnie grew into the game but McLean, who stars and pulls strings for Aberdeen, was anonymous.

For those that won't be capped again, what an experience and pride. You try telling Lewis Stevenson, Scott Bain or Graeme Shinnie that their caps meant nothing.

Folk are moaning that the players hardly had any caps - how do you think the likes of McGinn, Paterson, McKenna, McBurnie, Phillips and co build their international experience? They need to play games and sample different environments.

Those moaning that players will be tired and need a rest - how are we ever going to compete at a tournament if our players can't run in June?

Mexico pummelled us but there were a few occasions where we did knock it about quite well including the good mcburnie chance.

From a Hibs perspective I thought it was great to see DM and JM as Scotland's centre mids and I don't think I've ever been prouder of a Hibs player than Lewis. Whatever the reasons.

And of course the main reason was that it bagged the SFA a load of money that hopefully they invest well.

Despite the results I really don't see a negative of the trip that outweighs a positive.

Alba go bragh and all that.