hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eminem

Blog Entries

Eminem

Used to be a huge fan of Eminem - the first CD I ever bought was the Slim Shady LP but Revival really disappointed me, Em is capable of so much better. Any Slim fans on here?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Wouldn't call myself a fan but about a month ago i looked out the Marshall Mathers cd and have been playing it in the car near non stop. Feels as fresh as ever. Haven't been drawn to his most recent stuff, but this album was of its time and it hasn't lost anything over the years.
    ​#PERSEVERED

I love Eminem.True his older stuff is better but he does still drop some bangers and he's still the greatest rapper ever.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    The majority of his stuff is absolutely atrocious.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    There’s very little after The Marshall Mathers LP that’s worthlistening to imo

In the words of Sick Boy:

'Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever.'
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Eminem.True his older stuff is better but he does still drop some bangers and he's still the greatest rapper ever.
    I place him 5th after Biggie, Tupac, Rakim and Nas.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post

In his prime he was excellent I would have him further down nearer 10th Chuck D and Mos Def amongst others above him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    In his prime he was excellent I would have him further down nearer 10th Chuck D and Mos Def amongst others above him.
    I see Billboard (I think it was) did a top 10 rappers list and had Lil Wayne in it as well as Kendrick Lamar. It caused a bit of uproar because Tupac wasn't included in the top 10.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    What number is John Barnes? 😀

Its a very subjective thing to rank anything. I certainly wouldn't argue with your picks would be very similar to mine 👍. Eminem was the 1st rapper I heard when I was young so that's who started my love of rap music, that's why I'd personally have him at no1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    What number is John Barnes? 😀
    Mate, it's unfair to compare ANY rapper to John Barnes. He was just too good.

Eminem struggles to make a top 5 of white rappers never mind rappers full stop.

Eminem is a fantastic rapper when he's annoyed (the way I am, mosh etc...) but beyond the Eminem show, he's become exactly the type of performer he eviscerated on his first three albums.

The way I am.

Fwiw top 5 is something along the lines of:

Guru
    Rakim
    Nas
    Inspectah deck
    Q-tip

(In no particular order)

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Eminem struggles to make a top 5 of white rappers never mind rappers full stop.

Eminem is a fantastic rapper when he's annoyed (the way I am, mosh etc...) but beyond the Eminem show, he's become exactly the type of performer he eviscerated on his first three albums.

The way I am.

Fwiw top 5 is something along the lines of:

Guru
    Rakim
    Nas
    Inspectah deck
    Q-tip

(In no particular order)
    Vanilla Ice obviously the top white rapper.

Vinnie Paz is the best white rapper imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Vinnie Paz is the best white rapper imo.
    Can also make a claim for:

MCA
    Ad-Rock
    Mike D
    El-p

In my opinion. I'm also really warming to Macklemore, but that's unlikely to be a popular opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This is pretty much where I am with him. He has a couple of really good songs, but most of it is really really bad.

Eminem is more novelty than serious musician imo. I much prefer Erick Sermon, Redman, Busta Rhymes ahead of him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Eminem is more novelty than serious musician imo. I much prefer Erick Sermon, Redman, Busta Rhymes ahead of him.

there are many hip hop artists that you may like ahead of him - but care to explain why you see him as a "novelty" act...

It's funny how it is still fairly normal to separate rappers by race, talking about "white rappers" as if they are different.

I suppose it's to football's great credit that we wouldn't really have a conversation about who "the best black footballer" is any more. A footballer is a footballer.

The Beastie Boys were always number one for me, irrespective of race.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I listend to that last summer for the first time in probably around a decade. I used to love hip-hop, and im still an irregular listener, I thought that album was garbage going back to it though. Maybe im getting too soft as I get older, but I could see why his lyrics upon release got a lot of negative media attention. Would still rather listen to the Marshall mathers lp than tunes featuring ed sheeran mind you.

Oh well.. looks like I am on my own here.

I LOVE 'The Recovery'

Wasn't until relapse that I properly started to appreciate Eminem but the Recovery is what I listen to most by him. Appreciate I'm different in that I never started liking his stuff until later and other guys will have grown up with his early material. It's also to do with the fact I much prefer his 'angry' voice to his 'silly' one if you know what I mean.

Great poet and some outstanding tunes.

The Notorious B.I.G. Now there’s a proper rapper.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    The Notorious B.I.G. Now there’s a proper rapper.
    From a legacy point of view I think dying was about the best thing Biggie and Tupac could have done. I wonder if they would be revered in the way they are if they had lived long enough to go prancing about in Katy Perry videos or play caricatures of themselves in films.

For every Immortal Technique there's an Ice Cube or Snoop Dogg.

From a legacy point of view I think dying was about the best thing Biggie and Tupac could have done. I wonder if they would be revered in the way they are if they had lived long enough to go prancing about in Katy Perry videos or play caricatures of themselves in films.

I think Tupac is absolute rubbish. Biggie makes it seem effortless IMO.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    I listend to that last summer for the first time in probably around a decade. I used to love hip-hop, and im still an irregular listener, I thought that album was garbage going back to it though. Maybe im getting too soft as I get older, but I could see why his lyrics upon release got a lot of negative media attention. Would still rather listen to the Marshall mathers lp than tunes featuring ed sheeran mind you.
    Thats funny you say that as i did the same roughly a year ago. Was listening to slim lp and marshal lp for a few days and although i enjoyed it, it wasnt the same from my younger days. some classics but by no means a cd i would have on repeat for any great deal of time.

I did however dig out the dr dre 2001album recently and that is still a classic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Thats funny you say that as i did the same roughly a year ago. Was listening to slim lp and marshal lp for a few days and although i enjoyed it, it wasnt the same from my younger days. some classics but by no means a cd i would have on repeat for any great deal of time.

I did however dig out the dr dre 2001album recently and that is still a classic imo.
    2001 is a very good album.

Absolutely. Especially with those two. Let's face it, s ballerina and a rapper managed by puffy were never going to stay away from embarrassment for long.

It also stopped biggie from dropping more than 2 albums at which point the quality would have dropped. Unfortunately 2pac never got that luxury.

I think it's especially pertinent with those two being gangsta rappers and the other two you use as an example are the same, it looks daft when a 40 or 50 year old man talks about that nonsense. immortal technique and for example chuck d have always been more politically minded and as a result they could update without looking daft.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Out of those five, he's not even top ten.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Out of those five, he's not even top ten.
    Fair enough. I grew up listening to Em but he has just gone down the route of chasing the charts with Revival.