hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Morgan Freeman

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,372

    Morgan Freeman

    Not sure if anyone has seen this or not.

    This is astounding.

    The first instance caught on tape is not the one I am interested in here. The second one, around 5.00, is however.

    https://youtu.be/XmbN1g6x2ws

    The reporter claims he is sexually harassing her with this comment. In my opinion he is talking about being ‘there’ when Michael Caine made an arse of himself.

    What do you think? Talking SOLELY about this particular incident. Is he harassing her?

    I would say, absolutely not.
    Last edited by Alex Trager; 01-06-2018 at 10:34 AM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if anyone has seen this or not.

    This is astounding.

    The first instance caught on tape is not the one I am interested in here. The second one, around 5.00 is however.

    https://youtu.be/XmbN1g6x2ws

    The reporter claims he is sexually harassing her with this comment. In my opinion he is talking about being Ďthereí when Michael Caine made an arse of himself.

    What do you think? Talking SOLELY about this particular incident. Is he harassing her?

    I would say, absolutely not.
    Why wouldn't you be interested in the first? It helps to provide context, and circumstantial evidence, to judge whether the second comment was sexual in nature.

    Without the first, it would be difficult to pass any judgment on the second.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if anyone has seen this or not.

    This is astounding.

    The first instance caught on tape is not the one I am interested in here. The second one, around 5.00 is however.

    https://youtu.be/XmbN1g6x2ws

    The reporter claims he is sexually harassing her with this comment. In my opinion he is talking about being ‘there’ when Michael Caine made an arse of himself.

    What do you think? Talking SOLELY about this particular incident. Is he harassing her?

    I would say, absolutely not.
    What's interesting is in the interview clip before the 5min one, the interviewer is clearly flirting with MF and he is responding to it. How come is he being condemned in that clip but not her?
    Some people just want to live in a sterile world I guess. I'm not talking about the horribly disgusting Harvey W antics here, I mean day to day banter and interaction.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if anyone has seen this or not.

    This is astounding.

    The first instance caught on tape is not the one I am interested in here. The second one, around 5.00 is however.

    https://youtu.be/XmbN1g6x2ws

    The reporter claims he is sexually harassing her with this comment. In my opinion he is talking about being Ďthereí when Michael Caine made an arse of himself.

    What do you think? Talking SOLELY about this particular incident. Is he harassing her?

    I would say, absolutely not.
    Taken in isolation it could be interpreted either way, however the reporter mentions that he had made other comments around this one but this was the only one caught on tape. Important to take context into account when trying to understand the meaning of certain comments.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why wouldn't you be interested in the first? It helps to provide context, and circumstantial evidence, to judge whether the second comment was sexual in nature.

    Without the first, it would be difficult to pass any judgment on the second.
    Because i want to know whether or not that is an instance of sexual harassment, on it's own merit.

    Taking the context into things, he is responding to Michael Caine

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Taken in isolation it could be interpreted either way, however the reporter mentions that he had made other comments around this one but this was the only one caught on tape. Important to take context into account when trying to understand the meaning of certain comments.
    Yeah i get that, however i don't agree that he was harassing her in this instance. To me the context is him responding to Michael Caine. You can use either context to support your argument I suppose. Within the context of the clip and the conversation I would argue he is responding to MC

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because i want to know whether or not that is an instance of sexual harassment, on it's own merit.

    Taking the context into things, he is responding to Michael Caine
    That's your judgment, though.

    I'd rather have the judgments of Caine and Arkin, and Freeman himself, before coming to a conclusion. Interesting that none have responded.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 01-06-2018 at 10:39 AM.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah i get that, however i don't agree that he was harassing her in this instance. To me the context is him responding to Michael Caine. You can use either context to support your argument I suppose. Within the context of the clip and the conversation I would argue he is responding to MC
    But when he's already made unwanted and unsolicited suggestive remarks to her and then makes this comment it makes the reporters interpretation of this comment much easier to understand. I agree, taken in isolation a lot of people wouldn't even take it in a sexual manner but the comments he made to her before this seem to have led to this interpretation.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's your judgment, though.

    I'd rather have the judgements of Caine and Arkin, and Freeman himself. Interesting that none have responded.
    Yeah i agree that is my judgement. I don't think the clip demonstrates what she is saying however.

    It is interesting that none of them have responded, which leads to the belief he was out of line, but you can't say for sure until they respond.

    If he is harassing her, he has managed to shoe horn it in at a point of an interview that is extremely clever and calculated.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But when he's already made unwanted and unsolicited suggestive remarks to her and then makes this comment it makes the reporters interpretation of this comment much easier to understand. I agree, taken in isolation a lot of people wouldn't even take it in a sexual manner but the comments he made to her before this seem to have led to this interpretation.
    It's muddy waters and a poor representation

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's interesting is in the interview clip before the 5min one, the interviewer is clearly flirting with MF and he is responding to it. How come is he being condemned in that clip but not her?
    Some people just want to live in a sterile world I guess. I'm not talking about the horribly disgusting Harvey W antics here, I mean day to day banter and interaction.
    It's not normal day to day banter when one person is a powerful world wide movie star and movie producer and the other an entertainment reporter. Was she responding in a flirty manner because she wanted to or because she felt like she couldn't shut him down because of who he was?

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's muddy waters and a poor representation
    FFS don't drag another hero into this ****. He's not here to defend himself.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FFS don't drag another hero into this ****. He's not here to defend himself.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not normal day to day banter when one person is a powerful world wide movie star and movie producer and the other an entertainment reporter. Was she responding in a flirty manner because she wanted to or because she felt like she couldn't shut him down because of who he was?
    Point one - I clearly excluded the producer and his ilk from the banter part.
    Point two - from the clip (and I am only assessing this from what is shown) IMO, the interviewer initiates the flirting, not MF.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FFS don't drag another hero into this ****. He's not here to defend himself.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not normal day to day banter when one person is a powerful world wide movie star and movie producer and the other an entertainment reporter. Was she responding in a flirty manner because she wanted to or because she felt like she couldn't shut him down because of who he was?
    I canít believe that weíre now at a point where if you flirt with someone you then need to consider whether theyíre flirting back because they feel like they have to due to your flirtiness or whether theyíre genuinely being flirty. By the time my brain computes all this and makes a decision Iíll have been standing there like a lemon for 20 seconds not saying anything. Glad Iím not famous with all these people out to try and trap you.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I canít believe that weíre now at a point where if you flirt with someone you then need to consider whether theyíre flirting back because they feel like they have to due to your flirtiness or whether theyíre genuinely being flirty. By the time my brain computes all this and makes a decision Iíll have been standing there like a lemon for 20 seconds not saying anything. Glad Iím not famous with all these people out to try and trap you.
    And if the two of you are flirting then she will have decided you're too much of a lemon for her to ever consider getting with ;-)

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I canít believe that weíre now at a point where if you flirt with someone you then need to consider whether theyíre flirting back because they feel like they have to due to your flirtiness or whether theyíre genuinely being flirty. By the time my brain computes all this and makes a decision Iíll have been standing there like a lemon for 20 seconds not saying anything. Glad Iím not famous with all these people out to try and trap you.
    But that's the point, we generally shouldn't have to worry because us mere mortals are never really in that position of power. If a woman (or man) doesn't want to flirt with us, they'll just tell us where to go.

    People who are in a position of power have to be much more careful not to abuse their position of power, especially in a work situation like this.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that's the point, we generally shouldn't have to worry because us mere mortals are never really in that position of power. If a woman (or man) doesn't want to flirt with us, they'll just tell us where to go.

    People who are in a position of power have to be much more careful not to abuse their position of power, especially in a work situation like this.
    Thatís true, they do usually just tell me to beat it . However, I donít think itís fair that celebrities have to wonder whether someone is too feared of rejecting them cause of who they are or not. Thatís the other persons issue. If I went to do a tour of the Nou Camp and Messi asked me to punch an old lady I wouldnít do it just because Messi asked me to, Iíd say no.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís true, they do usually just tell me to beat it . However, I donít think itís fair that celebrities have to wonder whether someone is too feared of rejecting them cause of who they are or not. Thatís the other persons issue. If I went to do a tour of the Nou Camp and Messi asked me to punch an old lady I wouldnít do it just because Messi asked me to, Iíd say no.
    its not really even celebrities in general, it's people in positions of power. Morgan Freeman is massively powerful in the entertainment industry and if a reporter, or a staff member in his production company went spoke out against him or upset him then I'm sure in their minds they would be worried about consequences in their career. That's why he has to be careful what he says and where/when he says it because some flirting at a party might be ok, but in a work environment with someone who you have to power to hire/fire or even just the power to influence who speaks to them or gives them interviews (in the case of a reporter) it isn't appropriate.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    its not really even celebrities in general, it's people in positions of power. Morgan Freeman is massively powerful in the entertainment industry and if a reporter, or a staff member in his production company went spoke out against him or upset him then I'm sure in their minds they would be worried about consequences in their career. That's why he has to be careful what he says and where/when he says it because some flirting at a party might be ok, but in a work environment with someone who you have to power to hire/fire or even just the power to influence who speaks to them or gives them interviews (in the case of a reporter) it isn't appropriate.
    This is the part I find odd. If someone is annoying you in that way, why would you think about your 'career' before you call them on it?
    They are only 'powerful' because other people don't put them in their place when it's needed.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the part I find odd. If someone is annoying you in that way, why would you think about your 'career' before you call them on it?
    They are only 'powerful' because other people don't put them in their place when it's needed.
    That sounds like the post of someone who has never been in that situation. To be fair, most men haven't. Hence our collective difficulty in comprehending.

    I have been in a similar situation, back when I was young and pretty. I was just replaying it in my mind today. I have to say that keeping my job was absolutely uppermost in my mind. As a young and broke guy, it felt like the only way.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That sounds like the post of someone who has never been in that situation. To be fair, most men haven't. Hence our collective difficulty in comprehending.

    I have been in a similar situation, back when I was young and pretty. I was just replaying it in my mind today. I have to say that keeping my job was absolutely uppermost in my mind. As a young and broke guy, it felt like the only way.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Fair point.
    Just wondering at what point do principles overrule career though?
    (Not trying to be smart - a genuine question)
    Last edited by snooky; 01-06-2018 at 07:43 PM.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair point.
    Just wondering at what point do principles overrule career though?
    (Not trying to be smart - a genuine question)
    I'd say... and only from my own experience, which in no way is as bad as some of those in the public domain..... that point comes when one is strong enough/ financially secure enough/ powerful enough to resist.

    In a patriarchal system, that point came earlier and easier for me than it does for most women.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved