hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Murrayfield (Not Hibs related)

I see that SRU at Murrayfield have announced plans for an additional stadium beside the current one, capacity 7,800 all covered as well!
    Big investment, and probably a shame that Scotland won’t move to Murrayfield. Scotland Under 21’s etc, could play at this smaller venue.

Any thoughts?

https://stv.tv/sport/rugby/1416763-s...for-edinburgh/

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I'm ignorant of these things, but how is 3G for rugby?

Is it widely used?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Is it widely used?
    The Rugby boys train on it extensively at Oriam, so must be happy with it

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    The Rugby boys train on it extensively at Oriam, so must be happy with it
    Glasgow play on it as do Saracens in england, a welsh team glasgow played recently were complaining about the burns they got from the glasgow pitch.

Bottom line is Hampden should be sold and both football adn rugby should IMO play at murrayfield.

Is it widely used?
    Some teams use it for rugby league. The bounce of the ball is different to grass. Guess it has an effect on injuries too but is used in super league so I guess it can't be as bad as you would think.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

Is it widely used?
    Becoming more common but still controversial: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...s-big-14691181

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Some teams use it for rugby league. The bounce of the ball is different to grass. Guess it has an effect on injuries too but is used in super league so I guess it can't be as bad as you would think.
    In union there has been a rule change to legislate for the introduction of such pitches: https://tigerturf.com/uk/regulation-...its-3g-pitches

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Delighted to see this is going ahead, as it means Edinburgh will relocate from Myreside back to Murrayfield for their regular season games, and use the main stadium for the bigger games when necessary.

It's just so much easier to get to!

I played on the 3G back pitch at Scotstoun a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised how good it was, especially not being covered in glaur at the end of the match.

Never suffered the burns Scarlets said they got - but I'm just a bit skinnier!

It’s madness we are even considering staying at Hampden. Murrayfield will make the SFA a lot more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Glasgow team play on a 3G pitch and have no problems, this new stadium will probably be for the Edinburgh team and the local team Murrayfield Wanderers.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    I played on the 3G back pitch at Scotstoun a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised how good it was, especially not being covered in glaur at the end of the match.

Never suffered the burns Scarlets said they got - but I'm just a bit skinnier!
    Is there not a big difference between 3g and hybrid pitches? I thought that 3g was purely a synthetic surface while a hybrid pitch was a mixture of reinforced natural grass with the synthetic material?

Murrayfield is a hybrid pitch and I think THEM are planning the same for piggery park.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Is there not a big difference between 3g and hybrid pitches? I thought that 3g was purely a synthetic surface while a hybrid pitch was a mixture of reinforced natural grass with the synthetic material?

Murrayfield is a hybrid pitch and I think THEM are planning the same for piggery park.
    Correct. Hybrid pitches are the benchmark at them moment.

Think Twickenham, Principality in Cardiff, Old Trafford, Emirates, etc.

Very expensive to lay and run. IIRC they need ripped up at the end of every season. **** knows how the Yams are affordingnit.

J
    Last edited by Bristolhibby; 01-06-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It’s madness we are even considering staying at Hampden. Murrayfield will make the SFA a lot more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would be a tad ironic given that in the early 90s, Hampden's redevelopment received c.£40m of public funding (inc Lottery), but Murrayfield only c.£2.5m, with most of their funding coming from a debenture issue which fell way short of the eventual final cost. Hence the SRU was saddled with an overdraft in excess of £25m just as the game went pro and it took years to get the debt down to a more manageable level. Begs the question, what's the return on all the public funding that went into Hampden?

My son plays for Currie RFC Colts and recently played at West of Scotland and at the 3G surface at Murrayfield. The amount of knee injuries , ankle injuries and friction burns are not acceptable. Rugby like football needs to be played on grass

Quote Originally Posted by fiolex1 View Post
    My son plays for Currie RFC Colts and recently played at West of Scotland and at the 3G surface at Murrayfield. The amount of knee injuries , ankle injuries and friction burns are not acceptable. Rugby like football needs to be played on grass
    Can mind a fair few sticky sheet nights from rugby induced grass burns. A well maintained watered 4G pitch should be fine - all will have passed the requisite international standards at completion, but would they still pass one or two years down the line? These pitches do not look after themselves like magic and theyy need a lot of ongoing care still. Suspect Scotstoun hadn't been watered enough last week thus causing the Scarlets players a few scarlet knees and elbows.

@hibs.net private member Greenfly's Avatar
    They're surely not planning it to look like the pic on the STV site in the op's link? - stands with heaps of pillars to hold the roofs up? - it's like a 1920s design. Even our Georgie chums with their aversion to cantilever roofs managed to at least put their trusses in the 4 corners so that you get an unobstructed view of the pitch (unless you're behind a control box etc.). They look like the kind of temporary stands you'd get at a golf tournament or Highland games or something. Surely can do better than that?

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Why not make it a bit bigger (ca 12,000 capacity) and use it as a concert venue - which Edinburgh BADLY needs - as well? Excellent way for SRU to make additional money.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfly View Post
    They're surely not planning it to look like the pic on the STV site in the op's link? - stands with heaps of pillars to hold the roofs up? - it's like a 1920s design. Even our Georgie chums with their aversion to cantilever roofs managed to at least put their trusses in the 4 corners so that you get an unobstructed view of the pitch (unless you're behind a control box etc.). They look like the kind of temporary stands you'd get at a golf tournament or Highland games or something. Surely can do better than that?
    We will need to find something else to slag them about, they are in the process of removing it while the pitch is being relayed.
    The Murrayfield plans were on the STV news and what you are seeing is only a quick make up, as the pitch is to be turned round 90 degrees to allow the stands to be built.
    It is also supposed to be for Edinburgh Rugby only, to give them a better atmosphere, as their crowds get lost in the main stadium.
    I think they said it would be similar to the Glasgow Stadium?

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Correct. Hybrid pitches are the benchmark at them moment.

Think Twickenham, Principality in Cardiff, Old Trafford, Emirates, etc.

Very expensive to lay and run. IIRC they need ripped up at the end of every season. **** knows how the Yams are affordingnit.

J
    It’s free if you just bump the invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    We will need to find something else to slag them about, they are in the process of removing it while the pitch is being relayed.

I think they're actually just reducing it, not removing it entirely.

Is it widely used?
    Saracens play on 3G.

Everyone gets on the pitch at the end of the game for a kick about and to meet the players. As it’s 3G no damage is done to the surface.

Kids love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Saracens play on 3G.

Everyone gets on the pitch at the end of the game for a kick about and to meet the players. As it’s 3G no damage is done to the surface.

Kids love it!
    Surprised to hear that .... we play on a 3G surface at Gala Fairydean Rovers and the club wont let anybody near it wearing anything but football boots because trainers damage the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Surprised to hear that .... we play on a 3G surface at Gala Fairydean Rovers and the club wont let anybody near it wearing anything but football boots because trainers damage the surface.
    Do they? Would never have thought that!

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Do they? Would never have thought that!
    Flattens the "grass" apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I see that SRU at Murrayfield have announced plans for an additional stadium beside the current one, capacity 7,800 all covered as well!
    Big investment, and probably a shame that Scotland won’t move to Murrayfield. Scotland Under 21’s etc, could play at this smaller venue.

Any thoughts?

https://stv.tv/sport/rugby/1416763-s...for-edinburgh/
    That's Hearts sorted then!